Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Assistance please  (Read 1949 times)
Aidra Lyth'telor

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 16 November 2008, 10:16:37 »

I seem to be having many days lately where it gets hard to concentrate or think and I was wondering whether someone might make a recording on how to pronounce the elven language?

Also, words representing the royal family might be useful (i.e. Princess, Prince, Queen, King, etc.)

By the way, I'm new :)

Thanks so much for your time.

My ears are drums, My tongue a river;
My words are arrows, My mind the quiver.
The rage outside Hides the fear;
That something evil Wanders near.
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2008, 21:40:27 »

Ok, first things first.

Welcome to our Dream, you join us at a very exciting time, as today we are celebrating our 10th Birthday! There is to be a special Birthday update today, including entries from many of our members of special stuff created just for today. If you hang around, you can join the party!

Second. We already have a long-standing member who goes by the name of Miraran Tehuriden, but most of us call him Mira. I suggest changing your name to avoid any confusion (You may end up with someone asking you to describe the finer points of Herbarium maintenance, and that would never do!)

Lastly, the person you should be asking for help with this particular problem is Wren. She is our newly-returned Elven expert, and Styrash (the Elven tongue) holds no mysteries for her. Perhaps if you send her a PM, or Bellring her, she could offer some assistance.

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2008, 22:19:44 »

Hello "mira",

I'm not Wren, but I think I'm not going totally wrong, if I say  try to pronounce the elven words in the German or Latin Way.

To the titles: We have some, e.g. Santhros for the human king, but there are as well special titles for elven rulers, just habe a look around and you will find them :D

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2008, 23:50:32 »

and my realife name is not far off mira so I'm quietly getting very very confused.

Yep it would be nice to have sound recordings with the styrash dictionary.

I'm happy to undertake, but don't expect it quickly! I'm dyslexic, so I quite often find that what I think I'm reading is not actually what's there (which has led to a few awkward situations with songs I've done....) so I will have to run each recording past Arti just to check.

In the meantime there is a pronunciation guide (which is quite tricky if you're English trust me :P ) but Talia is essentially right i her assertion that characters have Latinate and German pronunciations, the guide tells you which is which.

Elves generally don't have royal lines like humans, so there are no heirs. They are far more 'community centric' probably because tribal populations are far smaller. Essentially they are matriachal so the 'leader' and the exact quality of a leader varies from tribe to tribe, but is rarely as absolute as a King or a queen (but there are always exceptions).

A matriarchal leader is a Ránn - The á is pronounce as latin so like the ah in father. The last syllable of an elven word is stressed always, except two vowels meet in the last two syllables. Not the case here so Ránn is pronounced:
r-ah-NN

A male leader (and there are the odd patriachal tribe about) is a rónn. The ó is pronounced as the o in for (not as in loss). So it is r-or-NN (kind of.... the ó is quite hard to show).

The Ylfferhim are different, they speak a Styrash dialect (which needs a considerable overhaul from me to make it closer to Styrash! Yay more work). They have a Leias, regardless of gender, coming from the Styrash leryráz meaning clarity. This is because their leader (generally, although there are notable exceptions) tend to be those with prophetic ability.

Lastly the Southern Sarvonian elves have a Elven tribal circle that was formed out of the first and second sarvonian wars, is generally dominated by the Quealhoirhim (mainly because they are the most open of the southern sarvonian tribes and like to meddle in human affairs and mainly because the other tribes don't really care very much about affairs outside their forests and think all Quealhoirhim are complete loons anyhow - elves have long memories and SW1 is alway placed firmly on their doorstep!).

The circle doesn't meet all the time, just when there is something big enough to drive the tribes to band together. In those times the leader - and perhaps leader is too strong a word, it is more accurate to see them as a chairperson for the elven nations - is an Avá'Ránn (or rarely an Avá'rónn).

Here we have a joining of two words to make a new one (common in german and welsh, but you don't get it in English very often). If words are put together the first and the last syllables are stressed soooo:

AVAH-rah-NN or AVAH-ror-NN.

Bit long, but hope it helps.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]