Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Remusian Men v2.1  (Read 19556 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 18 March 2009, 11:29:02 »

A Medicine Section Added.  Was hoping that Alysse and Thar'oc can take a quick look on this section, as it refers somewhat vagualy to their work on Choan of Orc and the Daughter's of Choan.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 March 2009, 04:35:56 »

I've just had a read-through of the medicine section, Alt, and I can see no problems with you linking their healers to the Daughters. It is highly likely that Choan (or one of her representatives) would have made their way to the Icelands, what with it being such a male-dominated, volatile area, so contact between the two was inevitable.
I particularly like the clever way in which you made the Remusian name for healer similar to daughter! Very neat  ;)

Have you any info on the Great Spa at Ombaxxis? This sounds like an ideal location for one of the Daughter's Spitals. Or have you a spare location in your region where I could place such a building?
The White Citadel sounds interesting, too. Very similar to how I envision the Daughters training.

I'll give Alysse a nudge when I see her, get her to cast her beady eye over this as well. I don't forsee any issues arising though.

Nice entry, Alt.

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 March 2009, 04:43:52 »

The White Citadel is a hold over from the original entry that has been mentioned a few times in Timelines, but not really expanded on, so I kept it, and moved it to Sudarok, as that was the capital at the time of the Third Sarvonian War.

Ombaxxis will be on the northern face of the Gathorn Mountains, somewhere in the eastern area of the range, haven't decided exactly.  It will have been abandoned many years ago, and is a place of mystery to the Remusians.  It will be based off of Machu Picchu and other lost cities.  Legend and myth will have grown from it.

I appreciate you reading through it.  I have kept it vague, so that in the future we can expand on it.  But, as Remusia did not have a written language back then, very little of the oral tradition has survived until modern times.

Thanks Thar'oc.

P.S.  I even got Thar'oc Weed in there.  Not favourably but... bad publicity is still good publicity, no?  Ask Paris Hilton.  buck

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 March 2009, 04:49:37 »

I'm Tharoc, the weed is Thar'oc...... ;)

Well, if you find a spare location where you think a Daughters Spital or Soothing Garden would fit, just let me know.

I like the idea of a Machu Pichu style ruin. I think we should have more of those. I know Azzy has some mysterious ruins in the Mists of Osthemangar, but I think there should be a few more up in the north. Mysterious ancient ruins are good!

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19 March 2009, 04:52:25 »

Er, yes, Tharoc, hehe... huh

Oh, that's just one of many things like I have planned for my little ice covered friends.  But, everything ties into the main entry, so I want to get that out of the way first, then start branching out.

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19 March 2009, 08:41:20 »

I'll take a look at it when I'm back on my own computer, Altario, next week sometime, ok?  I'm definitely interested but don't have most of my info here. 

P.S.  My eyes are NOT beady.   If you want me to cast a beady eye over this I'll have to go dig out one of Tharoc's and throw it at the entry.  And that would get messy... :D

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 April 2009, 12:24:07 »

FYI   The first half of the Beliefs section has been posted, the Religion of Kor'och.

As well, an update in the Economy section (in red) contains an Easter Egg.  I think it's an easter egg.  Unbless I have the definition wrong. azn

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09 April 2009, 07:06:01 »

I've been reading through this entry and it's amazing!  Absolutely wonderful!  I didn't have the time for a full uri-check, but I will probably do one in stages over the course of the next little while--one or two sections at a time.  I'll be away over the Easter week-end, but I'm hoping to get a start on it after that. 

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09 April 2009, 11:51:00 »

With this entry, I don't think anyone would have time for a full uri check. buck  But, thank you for the kind words, Alysse. :D  Every little bit on encouragement keeps me going forward.

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 09 April 2009, 17:07:56 »

I think it might be best to have a shorter overview (say around 6-8 or 10 pages max, history excluded) and then link each of these sections as "sub-entries". Like the "clothing" entry for Erpheronians or the various sub-entries for dwarves. That's what I usually end up doing these days ;)

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 09 April 2009, 17:10:37 »

Oh, I forgot to mention: You can make the overview as "atmospheric" as possible so that upon reading it one can form a mental picture or a feel for Remusian life. Then one would have a mental peg on which each subsequent sub-entry could be hung. Otherwise people sometimes get lost in the detail and have difficulty connecting the dots. Or they do not bother reading the entry at all.

PS: Trust me, I speak from experience. :P

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 09 April 2009, 21:08:55 »

Overview   

The Remusians are one of the Ice Tribes, but they are the most advanced tribe in terms of the ability of building towns, organizing the education of their children, forming a government, enforcing the trade with the south.  They are the only tribe which actively looks out for better trading conditions with the South and is interested in closer relationship to the Santharian Kingdom.  However, they are very proud of their Ice Tribe heritage, and are trying to balance this new development with holding on to the culture that has made them unique.  The Remusians are a people in transition.  It makes for a sometimes turbulent people, a sometimes lost people, but a very fascinating people.

While this fulfills everything I guess an overview SHOULD do, I don't feel as though this would make me want to read the rest of the gargantuan text beneath. Jazz it up a little maybe?

Coat of Arms

The Remusian Coat of Arms is backlit image of Remusiat (Whats that?), above which hangs a vertical image of Forsaken Blade.  On flags and banners, both are black on a red background.  However, when this coat of arms is set on a shield or tapestry, the city is in red, and the background is black.  The Forsaken Blade is still black, but has a thin white outline around it.

Regardless of the style used, it has the same meaning.  It is a symbol that the Forsaken Blade protects the city of Remusiat specifically, and all Remusian land in general.

Geography

Territory

The Remusian territory covers the area from the Heaths of Wilderon, to the Wastes of Despair, in a East to West direction, while North to South, it goes from the Bay of Calinth to the Gathorn Mountains.    Therefore, most of the country lies in the Icelands Coast Region, and as such, suffers from the extreme weather there.  Across the channel to the northeast is the territory of Kordos, taken from the Tokarians, and now a province of Remusia.  When Kordos was taken over, the Remusians took over everything that belonged to the Tokarians.  It was brutal and ugly.  The large tracts of plains in Remusia are known as the Frozen Wastes. (You could always mention that its in North Sarvonia, you know)

The five main settlements in Remusia are Remusiat, the capitol, as well as Rhemir, Sudarok, Sorsokon, and Dorm-nak.  Remusiat is by far the largest of these, with a population of over 9,000 people, it sits on the southern coast of the Bay of Calinth, north of the Gathorn Mountains.  Rhemir has a population of near 5,000 while the other three have populations near 3,000.  Most of the people of Remusia live in nomadic settlements that follow the wison herds, or along the coast where fishing sustains their way of life.

Dorm-nak is the smallest of the Remusian cities, with a population of less than 3,000 people.  It sits at the foot of the Gathorn Mountains, at the eastern end of Remusia.  It has been called “The Doorway to the South”, as it is right at the mouth to Giant’s Pass, named for the giants (Giants meaning The Giant Races or actual, textbook Giants?) that occasionally use this route to come from the Stone Fields of Peat into the Icelands.  It is an important trading community to the Kanapan Peninsula, via land travel.  It was also an important religious center for many years.  Many buildings started here, during the short reign of Pidandra of 150 days, were made from Ertimmer’s Blood, a red stone quarried south of the city.  This includes the great Sanctuary of Pargis.  As well, followers of Kor’och find this to be an important city, and it is said that Kor’och is buried here.  In the 800’s, this was the seat of religious power for the followers of Kor’och, and stayed that way until the 1400’s, when it was moved back to Rhemir.  Eye of Nechya is also quarried near here, to the east, and The Guardian, a colossal statue of a Caracal, is carved from a giant block of this, and stands guard outside the city gates.

Sorsokon has a population of a little more than 3,000 people.  It is the home of Sorso Salt, and has been a Remusian settlement for nearly 4,000 years, making it Remusia’s oldest city.  The best fishing can be found off its shores, as well as the fields that produce phummel, so it is known as Remusia’s Pantry.  Its excess food stores are shipped throughout Remusia, as well as used as trading cargo.  Sorsokon was built in a unique fashion, where whole blocks of homes were built together, and one entered the home from above.  It is felt that these homes can be kept warmer with less expenditure of fuel, because the walls are not exposed to the elements.

Sudarok has a population of more than 3,000 people.  If any place can be called artistic, in Remusia, then this city would be the place.  In the early days of Remusia, Sudarok was the capitol, but in 110 AS, it was moved to Remusiat, after a short war between the two cities.  The Lanrul Wurg of Remusiat defeated the Lanrul Fororio of Sudarok.  The people here still, even after all this time, feel a sort of resentment to those in Remusiat for this, and it has created a rivalry between the two cities.  Each tries to out do the other in terms of commerce, the arts, and military strength.  In the case of the arts, Sudarokans have been labelled as a bit uppity in their views because of the far superior artistic expression here.  Sudarok is, like Remusiat, a walled city, built with the black Eye of Nechya, which is quarried south of the city.

Environment

At first blush the environment of Remusia is a cold and bleak one, but upon further investigation proves to be much more than that.   The perma-ice layer seems to ebb and flow from season to season, much as the sea tide.  The province of Kordos is nearly always frozen, including the city of Rhemir, while the cities of Sorsokon and Sudarok definitely have a summer season of bare soil, in which alto grass grows.  The cities of Remusiat and Dorm-nak lay along the dividing line of these weather systems, and each city has had years with perma-ice, and years where it has melted to the soil beneath.  There seams to be no cycle or correlations to determine in advance what the summer will be like in any particular year.

Remusia is unique in that they have what they call a Zekar Wind (Does that have a meaning?).  This wind blows south, off the Bay of Calinth, and is usually a very frigid wind.  In the summer, this can bring cooler temperatures, but in winter, biting cold is only the beginning.  Massive amounts of snowfall can fall in a relatively short time, making the unwary traveller trapped in a very hostile environment.

It is this extreme environment that has shaped the Remusians; defined them as a people unique to Sarvonia.  One only has to learn that they have no less than 34 different words for Snow, that they call Shanno, to know how in tune they are to their world.  From the light, almost ice crystal snow that flutters lazily down on the coldest Remusian day, Shanno-lysene, to the heavy, wet, almost warm snow that falls in late spring, and summer months, Shanno-tappari, with that one word, they can convey very evocative descriptions to one another.  They are a people perfectly adapted to live in a world most of us would shirk from.

Natural Resources

Though the Ice lands are poor countries, this has more to do with cultural insulation than from lack of natural resources.  True, wood in the form of trees is a rare item, and a luxury reserved for only the wealthiest Remusians, there is a bit of wood that Remusians can get.  Driftwood is an expensive item that washes up on the shores of Remusia from the Iol Peninsula, namely the Mantle Woods.  Then again, in the Gathorn Mountains, there is a small shrub called the Alicott that provides wood in small amounts.

Stone is the great resource of the Ice Lands.  It can be found in great abundance here, if one wishes to clear the ice away.  Most of it is unassuming and common stone, but there are pockets of fine expensive stone here as well.  Red Marble, called Ertimmer’s Blood, is quarried south of Dorm-nak, while Black Granite, called the Eye of Nechya, can be found both east of Dorm-nak as well as south of Sudarok.

There are not many types of metals in Remusia.  However, iron can be found in the Gathorn Mountains.  Known as Gathorn Iron, it is a strange metal in that it is found in large rounded globs under the ice and snow.  It is also a poor iron that takes an extra hot fire in order to remove the impurities in the metal.  Thus, very skilled smiths are needed to work it.  Gold is also found here, mostly in the northern areas of Kordos province.  There is not much of it to be found, but what there is is lusted after by enterprising Remusians (Wouldn't things like Wood be more important, as you mention before? I think if wood is considered a luxury theres a great probability you could be a 'Wood Baron' as it were).

Of course, the sea provides much of Remusia’s resources.  The sea that serves the Remusians well is the Bay of Calinth, a stormy arm of the Ice Sea.  Fish, in a wide variety of species provide much to the Remusian people, as well as other types of sea going creatures, like Carteloreen.  As well, a lucky Remusian might find a Saiph stone having washed up on the rocky shore.

Flora

The barren land and extreme weather has done much to limit the number of types of plant life in the Icelands.  Still, life does grow here.  By far, the most common plant in this bleak wilderness is the Hrugchuk Grass, which grows hardy, even beneath the snow.  Here, too, grows the Alth’mon, known as Varro, which the Remusians use in their medical treatments.

Further south, in the higher elevations of the Gathorn Mountains, a hardy bush called the Alicott Shrub grows.  Its gnarled branches are a very hard wood, and have been used by the Remusians as fuel for smiths, as it burns very hot.  Because these shrubs rarely grow more than a ped in height, and the branches are often smaller than two adult fingers in width, the wood is not much use for anything besides burning.

Fauna

As with the plant life, the harsh environment here has shaped the face of animal life in the area.  There are a few domesticated breeds here.  The Kor’och fey Mologh, the Mount of Kor’och, (Who is this Kor'och fellow, I thought he was a god a minute ago, now maybe a king or something? Make it explicit at the first point wherein you use his name, please) is the breed of horse that was actually developed by the Remusians over 300 years ago.  The Wilderon Cat is also from here, used to keep down the Hrugchuck mouse population.  Both for hunting and sled pulling, the Icemut is a valuable dog breed. 

Other animals that are not domesticated as such, but are valuable to the Remusians are the Wison, the Snow Falcon and Icesnout.  The Wison’s migration route takes it through the heart of the province of Kordos, making that region hotly contested between the Remusians and Tokarians.  The Snow Falcon is the symbol of Remusian royalty, and kings have been practicing falconry for years, and they are expert at it.  The Remusian army puts to use the Icesnout, which the scouts use for long trips onto the wastes, where less hardy breeds would perish.  Leapor Hares and Leveret Rabbits provide meat and pelts.

Few insects can be found in this harsh environment, but the Dargimer Fly and the Glass Winged Butterfly do thrive.  Add to this, the Blue Myrmex  and Snow Orm are insects that can cause great distress if found in large numbers.  The Snow Cob, a cousin of the Woolly Cob, is an animal that hunts mice.  Some Snow Cobs have been kept by the Remusians to keep down the mice population, but they have been replaced mostly by the Wilderon Cat.

Other animals that can be found are the Snow Gynnia, the Nue’mon to the north, and the Klymmer, an aquatic bird found on the rocky cliffs that lives on small fish.  The Rheah and the Thunderfoot wander the wastes, while the dangerous and legendary Caracal prowls in search of unwary prey.  The mystical White bear, the embodiment of Zundefor (That a god?), roams the Frozen Wastes along the Bay of Calinth and the channels.  In the cities is found the Snow Rat, a huge nuisance to food stores.  The Slyrking (a...what?) can be found at the very outside of Remusian territory, where the frozen wastes give way to tundra.

The southern border of Remusiat is found the Gathorn Mountain range, which has many animals there.  Among them are the Cloaked Elk and the Tar’andus Deer, both hunted by the Remusians for food and hides.  Eagles nest along the cliffs.

The frigid Bay of Calinth provides many types of fish, such as the evoor and varlihn, as well as the deadly Dark Stryke Shark.  Carteloreen provide much to the Remusians, and they are hunted by the most intrepid of sailors.  The elusive Selkie can be found in the waters, as well as on land during the warmer months.  The very rare Krrroa'haxpattl Monster is said to live in the bay, though no reliable reports have been found to prove this.

One creature that is beyond the natural order of animals is the Sleeper in the Snow.  Little is known of these creatures.  Remusian tales warn of these terrors which lay in wait in drifts of snow, then attack without warning, and without mercy.

If I missed any capitalisation of Animal Names, it would be helpful if you scanned it again  grin

Culture

Appearance

In the last two or three generations, there seems to be an evolution of the Remusian people, from the traditional Ice Tribe “lower” Remusian, and the more urban “higher” Remusian.  This being said, there are still some truths that are common to both factions.

Most Remusians are shorter than their southern counterparts, males being typically around 1 ped 2 fores in height, the women slightly shorter still.  They are built somewhat heavier than average, with thick chests and broad shoulders, again, with women slightly smaller than the men.

The typical Remusian has dark hair and eyes, though this is changing in recent years with the influx of people from the south.  In higher Remusians, almost any color of hair and eyes can be found.  Among lower Remusians, this is not so, as lower Remusians tend not to be as accepting of other tribes as the higher Remusians, let alone intermarriage.  Large, calloused hands are typical, even among women, who take on a heavy share of the workload in Remusian society.  This can also be seen on the faces of the Remusians, as they are often found with rough looking features, with an aged appearance.  Again, the higher Remusians have less of this, whether because of the softer features of the new blood being brought into the population, or by the fact that the higher Remusians live a somewhat softer lifestyle that the lower Remusians, who must eck (is eck a word?) out a life in the most extreme of circumstances.

Remusian men wear their hair either long, in a ponytail that is often wrapped in leather and tied to the back of their tunic, in order to keep enemies from grabbing it in battle, or short, cropped above ear level.  Facially, clean shaven is the preferred fashion, though many lower Remusians continue to wear the beard as a sign of being a warrior.

Among women, long hair is the desired style, the longer the hair, the more attractive the woman becomes.  Some women are reported to have hair that is longer than they are tall! In times of mourning, a wife may cut her hair completely off when her husband dies.  This is most common among younger women whose husbands are killed in battle (with who? You mention alot of warriors, alot of past foes, but nothing really 'current').

Tattooing is practiced among the Remusian women, while most men do not tattoo themselves.  Geometric shapes; circles, stars, teardrops or even squiggly lines are used and placed on the face, either on the cheek, under the eye, or along the forehead.  These tattoos are given around age 15, as a sign of maturity and are considered beauty marks by the Remusians.  Most women will have only one or two tattoos, though some women, mostly lower Remusian, will completely cover their faces in these tattoos.  The ink used is derived from the fluid of the Hrugchuk flower, so is a deep blue in colour.  Some women will rub charcoal into cuts on the face, in order to have black tattoos, but this is far less common.

As well as this, women also use jewellery as signs of beauty, and rings for fingers, nose, eyes, lips and ears are favourite trinkets adorned (Eh?, the adorned bit seems a bit out of place).  As well, wristbands, necklaces and broaches are common.  Mediums for these items of jewellery are gold, silver, ivory, stone and bone.  The more jewellery, and the more intricate the design, the higher the status of the woman, which is a direct reflection on her husband or father.

People

Remusians have been described by many who have actually met them, as smug.  This is from a deeply ingrained sense of superiority in the average Remusian.  They are from a society that is very isolated, and consequently, they have become isolationists.  In their view of the world, they are the central race and tribe. Because of this, they are almost religiously fanatical in their defence of their homeland.  This has led to the warriors becoming renowned for their ferocity, and their archers being some of the best in the North, with only the elves having a higher standing.  The Remusian society is based on heroism, where the warrior is heralded above all others.

With the women, they Remusian women live in a somewhat suppressed society, though in comparison to the other Ice Tribes, are very liberated.  Women are treated with a measure of respect, though one cannot say they are equals.  They are allowed to own property, even businesses in the larger cities, though they are excluded from any military or political voice.  In the more progressive levels of higher Remusian society, women can choose on their own, who they would like to marry, while in lower Remusian society, arranged marriages are still the norm.

One thing that binds all Remusians, lower and higher alike, is the feeling of abhorrence to magic.  Since the time of the War of the Chosen, when thousands of Remusians, as well as all the Ice Tribes, were killed from magical experiments, they have held a deeply ingrained grudge against all practitioners of the arcane arts.  Anyone caught using magic is put to death in a number of brutal ways. (see Law)

Um, I assume the differences between the omnipresent 'high' and 'low' Remusians will be discussed later, right?

Housing

Among the Ice Tribes, the Remusians are considered very different, having a more urban development.  Though, over half of their population still resides in nomadic clans following the wison migration patterns, many reside in one of the four main fortified Remusian cities; the capital city of Remusiat, whose population nears 10, 000 people, or Sorsokon, Sudarok, and Dorm-nak, whose populations are only around 3000-4000 people each.  The population explosion in Remusiat has only happened within the last generation, and outside influences can be felt here. 

The typical Remusian house is a multi-generational dwelling (generational? Meaning, what exactly? Various generations of the same family live in one house?) .  They are built in a large ring design, with four houses sharing the structure, much like a pie cut into four pieces, built around a central fireplace which has four openings, one for each home.  Each wedge is a distinct home, and the central fireplace doubles as a stove for each.  This has saved on resources for the Remusians, as one wall serves two homes, which in turn saves the amount of fuel needed to heat each home.  Each home is further divided into three rooms, the kitchen, and two smaller side rooms.  The kitchen is where the family spends most of its time indoors, and serves as dining room.  The two side rooms are bedrooms.  The lead male of the home and his spouse share one room, while all the children and grandparents share the other.  In some homes, this can be a crowded ordeal, but the Remusians deal with this in typical stoic Remusian fashion.

Almost every home has its own cellar carved into the ground beneath it.  With the permafrost of the ground, the cellars are an ideal place to store provisions, being away from the warmth of the fireplace, yet out of the freezing temperatures outside.  These cellars are typically pretty small, perhaps a ped in depth, and only a few peds across.

The wall of the Remusian house is made of stone, not finely carved pieces of stone, but rather rough cut and piled up, with mud and ice used as mortar.  Each wall is usually a few fores thick, to keep out the cold, and on the inside is lined with furs and hides hung to add to the insulating effect.  The houses are surprisingly warm, even in the coldest of winter months, though sleeping without blankets, or lounging about without at least a few layers of clothes would still be a bit chilly.  Remusian homes do not have windows, and the door is often only a flap of hide stretched across an opening in the stone wall.  Small clay lamps are used to provide light, burning carteloreen oil.  Carteloreen fat, wison dung as well as driftwood are used as fuel for the fireplaces.  Thus, the rooms have a pungent odour to them, though the Remusians do not seem to notice or mind it.

Adding to the smell of the homes, is the fact that any livestock the family has, usually in the form of sheep or goats, is kept inside with them.  The animals have full run of the house, as leaving them outside in the coldest weather may be a life threatening mistake.

The roofs of the average home are a framework of Carteloreen bone, with hides stretched over it.  Stones are used to weight down the hide so that it does not blow away during some of the more severe storms, though this does occasionally happen.

Of course, this is just a description of what the typical home is like, and there are variations and other styles.  In the poorer sections of the cities, homes are built more like that of the nomadic Remusian.  This is more or less a tent of hide that is stretched over a framework of Carteloreen bone, with snow piled high against the walls to provide insulation, and protection from the wind.  These homes can be taken down and set up again in only a brief time by adept Remusian nomads.

In Remusiat, some of the nobles are living in what can only be described as Remusian villas, with influences from southern countries.  These villas are only a few years old, with many materials, including wood beams and roofs, being brought in at considerable expense.  This is one of the more obvious signs that Remusiat is changing with the opening of trade to the south.

As stated, the more traditional Remusian, living outside the cities, use tents for homes.  These people are more nomadic in nature, though in places where semi permanent residence is taken, snow houses are built as well, called ruhmir.  These are not much more that snow being piled up high, yet packed down by stamping on it, and then carved hollow.  These are one room dwellings, and can be found in areas where hunting is good, like near the migration trails of the wison.  The nomadic hunters will return to these homes two or three times a year and stay for only a few weeks each time.  They are not considered as property, and anyone may claim one should they come across a vacant one and need shelter for a few days.

The Remusians have little in the way of furniture.  Some homes have a table and chairs of carteloreen frames stretched over by rawhide and left to dry, forming a remarkably strong piece.  Most families, however sit on furs on the floor, and sleep in large fur lined bags.

Clothing

Remusians dress much like their Ice Tribe brethren.  This includes Cancu wool jerkins, thick trousers, heavy shirts, as well as heavy boots.  Women dress fairly similar to men, especially in the nomadic clans.  Some of the more popular materials used in clothing are Cancu wool, Wison hide, Pinnip skin, and Icemut pelt.  In particular, Wison hide parkas are very popular.  The saying that snow never melts on a Wison’s back, is a testament to how warm these coats can be, though they are heavy, especially if wet.

The boots of the Remusians are made perfectly for the extreme environment in which they live.  The outside is Pinnip skin sown to a sharkskin sole.  Inside there is a layer of Icemut fur.  An inner boot fits into this, which is sheepskin inside sown to an outer layer of either icemut fur again, or more often Wilderon cat fur.  It is the two layers of fur together that gives these boots such strong insulating values, and it is said by many that this is because of the constant fighting between the dog and cat furs warming the boot from inside.

Perhaps a testament to your writing, Altario! You add as much detail to a pair of boots as you do to the design of a house! Kudos!

In the cities, particularly Remusiat, women have begun to wear dresses from the south.  Fabrics, such as spilk (You mean the Ancient Krean fabric that it is impossible to create anymore and near impossible to locate anything made of it unless your ridiculously wealthy? You could say Tarshiinite Silk if you wanted to keep the exotic flavour...), unavailable in Remusia, have become popular among the higher Remusian ladies.  These dresses, many from brightly coloured Caltharian dyes, have become a sort of status symbol among the noble women.  This has not gone without some controversy however, as lower Remusians are outraged at the fine materials used instead of natural hides from within Remusiat.  There are even reports where a lady was splashed with wison blood, ruining her dress, to the crowds shouts of anger and chants of “Spilk no more; that’s what killings for!”  These occurrences are rare, however.

White fur is reserved for the Lanruls (?), and now the royal family.  This comes from a tradition dating back hundreds of years where the Lanruls took the hides from Eanian wargs, which used to thrive here a few centuries earlier.  The warg fur was seen as a sign of virility and strength.  It is said that King Timeras has a mantle of white Eanian fur, though it has not been seen since the Fifth Orcish War, when his father Araman II ( 1635-1654) wore it as a symbol of Remusian strength when he rode out of Remusiat with the cavalry, only to fall in battle.

Traditional nomadic Remusians, especially the hunters, wear what is called a Boonaye suit.  This is a one piece outfit that has a hood, parka and trousers all in one.  Often made from the hide of the Cloaked Elk and the Tar’andus, with the fur inside the outfit, and the leather toward the outside, this suit can keep out the coldest weather.  The antlers of these animals are used in concert with the Boonaye suit in order for hunters to slowly make their way toward potential prey.  It is believed that the prey assume the antlered hunter is just another animal on the frozen wastes.

Another purely Remusian piece of clothing, is the cayowl.  It is simply a hood that goes over the head, and keeps the cold not only off the head, but the neck as well.  It is made like a tube, with an area removed for the face.  A drawstring around this hole can be pulled tight so that only the eyes are visible, or relaxed so that the entire face is free, depending on the conditions.

Lanrul Lugan II (1553-1584) was wounded in a battle and took to wearing masks to hide his disfigurement, which started a brief fad.  Since then, masks can still be found among the higher Remusians, worn during their Reyallas (again...?).  The parents wear the masks so that they are “removed” from the interaction of the young adults of whom the celebration was formed.  These masks are often the removed portion of skull of a wolf, or pinnip or other animal.  They are held in place over the face with leather thongs.

Food

The Remusians have a diet that is filled with meat products.  This is not to say that grown foods cannot be found, but they are very much there to supplement the meat that they use.  Because of the climate, vegetables, fruits and herbs are a premium and used sparingly.  In fact, many Remusans believe that eating too much fruit and vegetables causes fevers. 

The sea provides much abundance for the Remusians.  Fish is a main staple of Remusian diet, and the country relies on the bounty of the sea.  A small fish, called varlihn, is grilled with a salt seasoning and is eaten often.  Carteloreen provide much meat, and when the boats come into the harbour with a fresh catch, there is often a mad scramble by people trying to get some before it is gone.  And of course, salt is regularly harvested from the sea.  Finally, the sea provides the base for shark fin soup, made from the fins of the Dark Stryke Shark.  Because of legends, it is believed that this soup has fertility uses.  The rest of the meat is considered a delicacy, due to the rarity of catching one.

There are not too many domesticated animals for the Remusians to use, but there are a few.  Cancu sheep are raised, and dishes are prepared from the flesh of the sheep.  Some wison are kept, and from these, not only is the meat used, but milk and cheese is derived from them.  As well, sometimes the live animals are bled, to bring added nutrition to the table, in the form of sauces and gravies.  In domesticated herds, only warriors are allowed to butcher bulls, to harken to the nomadic ways where only the most able hunters dared try and fell a wild bull.  This is done effectively and sacredly, in a ritual attended by only warriors of high status.  The meat is ritually shared, with the choicest cuts going to the warriors, then the elders, and finally the women and children.  Wison meat is often tough, so sometimes it is soaked in Harump sauce to marinate it and make it tenderer.  This sauce is made primarily from the urine of young male Kor’och-fey-Mologh, and is washed off completely after soaking in it for a day.  The Remusian horse also provides milk and cheese.  The milk is sometimes used to make Yuritz, a fermented blending of horse milk and hrugchuk grass.  It is a strong concoction that only the heartiest of Remusians indulge in.

Wild birds and game provide for the Remusians as well.  A plump little bird called the Klymmer is often the source for eggs, which are large and delicious.  Woolly boar and Rheeah are also favourite meats that the Remusians eat when available.  Truth be told, Remusians will eat almost anything they can kill.  Food can sometimes be quite scarce and they do not take that lightly.

Odenbels, hot springs found in the north, provide what little there is for agriculture. (see Production and Agriculture)   A pungent herb called garlick is grown here, and is used as an additive to many foods.  As well, a short stalked grain called Phummel is grown.  It makes a heavy flour when ground, and can be used to make a flatbread, mixed with ash many times, as this extends the bread.  Many times this is spread with a paste made from beans that are grown as well, cooked and crushed, then mixed with pinnip oil and salt.  Pinnip oil is oil rendered down from pinnip fat.  It is then spread over the bread and eaten.  As well, a distilled drink called Remusian Wisk-Away is made from this grain.  It's name comes from the fact that after a few drinks, one is "wisked away" to a new reality.  A hard root, called a radzish is grown, also an additive for food receipts.  Another food additive is murmir, a small fungus that grows in the cellars of many Remusian homes.  By far, the most used grown food used by the Remusians is the varyte, a local name for the sweetneep, that is usually grated into a paste, which is then fried in pinnip fat.

The Alicott shrub of the Gathorn Mountains produces small red berries.  These berries, though very bitter in of themselves, are used by the Remusian women to preserve meat.  When these berries are boiled, then drained, and the pits removed, they are ground into fresh meat.  Something in the berries works to extend the freshness of raw meat so that it can be transported further, with the military, for example, or with hunters out on the wastes.  The berries are not eaten by themselves, except in extreme cases, but even then in only small amounts, as too many eaten raw can cause severe stomach discomfort.

Language

The Remusian language seems to have developed as an offshoot of Tharian, though when this occurred cannot be easily discerned.  It is the Remusian spoken language, as well as their written language.  This type of writing has been in existence for 1500 years, and it is thought that an educated man from the south had settled in the north and taught the natives there the language.  This, however, is only supposition, and so far, there has been no proof ascribed to this theory.

Before this time, the Remusians had a crude petroglyph language, which is now undecipherable, and thus lost to history.  At the lost city of Ombaxxis, there are recorded over 7,000 petroglyphs.  Of these, animals such as the wison, falcon, caracal and thunderfoot are clearly recognizable.

Art, Music and Literature

Before the 1500’s, Remusian art, music and literature were nearly non existent; seen as luxuries that they could not afford.  Art was almost unheard of, while literature was relegated to animal figures painted on rocks in the form of petroglyphs, most notably found at the lost city of Ombaxxis.  Music was mostly in the form of war chants, and appeal prayers to the pantheon of Ice Tribe gods.

In the 1500’s, the Lanrul of Sudarok opened up his city as a haven for artists, and a flood of artistic expression seemed to have hit the city.  Assihnojiru, the wife of Sudarok Lanrul Pikahra Fyrthara-eck-Ahtu (Autumn Fire), became one of Remusia’s few great women.  While her husband ruled during a fairly peaceful time in Remusian history, she was allowed to carry out her whims, which was to develop Sudarok into the city it is today.  She was enamoured with art, and wanted a place where people could go to learn to create great works.

Sudarok is the artistic capital of Remusiat, if any place might hope to have that title here.  Though, if one had to describe Remusian art in one word, it would be “Harsh”.  It is not a fine artistic style that one would find further south.  Though individual pieces might be considered course, as an entire style, it comes across as fitting for these hardened people.  Muted colours are the norm, and very few paintings can be found with vibrant colours.  Most paintings are done on the underside of pinnip skin, stretch taught over a bone frame.  Charcoal sketches are also popular.  Frescoes are another popular outlet for artistic ability.  Sculpture is something that is done rarely in any other form but ice.  The Remusians have perfected the art of ice sculpture and works of this can be found all over Remusia, from the temporary ones in Sudarok and Sorsokon, to the more permanent ones in Rhemir.  Animals that mean the most to the Remusians seem to be the objct of choice for these artisans, such as the caracal, wison, thunderfoot, etc.

The artist Rhidvardehn, made many depictions of Kor’och, though it was at a time when doing so in a devine sense was very dangerous.  He worked with both sculpture and paintings, mostly frescoe.  He is credited with bringing the cult of Kor’och into the public, thus making it possible for later generations to diefy the hero.

Remusian bards came into existence at this time, bringing songs to the Remusian people, who before this had mainly chants, rather than orchestrated music.  The Remusian bard, Tahllen Vuffsein was alive during this exciting time, in 1597, and wrote many songs, including his most famous work, The Hunter’s Lament.  Native instruments of the Remusians include a hollowed out Wison horn, used as a musical instrument akin to a flute.  As well, a bone frame, stretched over by rawhide becomes a percussion instrument.  The sounds of Remusiat usually have a beat that sounds like the rhythmic beating of a heart, to celebrate life, though, the people themselves may be considered dour by many.  Niannabu was a famous songstress, who has been the only priestess in the Temple of Kor’och, and is said to have communed with the god through her songs, though none of them have reached us through time.

Paper was, and is, a rare and expensive item.  What there is of it, is imported from the south.  For the most part, Remusian’s use scrolls written on vellum, made from the skin of young Cancu sheep.  There is almost nothing of Remusian literature as a medium for storytelling.  This society is still very much traditionally oral, and what there is of written literature is often just a cataloguing of these oral stories.

Games and Activities

The Remusian people are not big on games, seeing them as wastes of valuable time and energy, which in lean times can mean the difference between life and death.  Still, it seems that the very human need for entertainment has even permeated the frozen hearts of the Remusians.  As expected in a society that reveres heroism as do the Remusians, many of their games reflect skills needed for war and survival. 

Combat training games are popular, such as sword fighting with carved bone training swords.  Though rarely lethal, many injuries are inflicted during these bouts.  These combat games are a big part of growing up as a Remusian male.  So is wrestling, which the Remusians enjoy, as it teaches direct hand to hand combat.  Add to this, Remusian jousting, which uses the Remusian lance, a 12-15 fore long bone from the carteloreen which is straightened and sharpened, though this step is left out for tournaments.  These tournaments came into popularity in the 1400’s, with the introduction of the Kor’och fey Mologh as the Remusian mount of choice.  A yearly horse race takes place in Dorm-nak.  Warlords from all over the area come here to compete and show off their horses.

Games that are not combat training games are also found, though few in number.  As mentioned, the Kor’och fey Mologh is a popular mount in Remusian society, however, in the province of Kordos, in the more traditional areas, stallion fighting is practiced.  The higher Remusians frown upon this, but many of the lower Remusians claim that these fights helped develop the breed to the magnificent animal it is now, as champion stallions are bred more often than others.

Women usually do not have time for games, as they have traditionally been treated no better than slaves by Remusian men.  However, there is a small game they play with awls and a scrap piece of leather.  This Remusian Awl game is played while they work, so as not to incur the wrath of their husbands.

Beliefs

Religion is the great schism in Remusian society.  It has separated the people greatly, especially in recent years, and has become a focal point for many issues, and threatens to bring about and end to the Remusian way of life.  Two groups, the monotheistic believers in Kor’och, and the polytheistic believers in the traditional Ice Tribe pantheon, are in a life and death struggle with the other for dominance in Remusian culture.  Where there once was tolerance for the other now has been replaced with growing discrimination and outright violence.

The monotheistic temple has been the smaller of the religions for 1200 hundred years, but they are very militaristic in their views.  They have come into power only recently, in 1635 when Araven took power, who was a strong believer in Kor’och.  He publicly claimed that belief in Kor’och was the true state religion, though he did not outlaw the old god worship.  This was to the chagrin and consternation of the Temple of Kor’och, who in 1339 had decreed that the old gods were no longer valid, as Kor’och had defeated them and took their place.

The believers in the Ice Tribe pantheon were outraged, as they had always seen the worship of Kor’och as a cult to be tolerated.  Kor’och had been a great national hero, who himself was a believer in the old gods, referring to himself in life as "Asterlin’s Fury" (I guess Asterlin is a god?).  So they assumed that followers of Kor’och would always still see the old gods as the pinnacle of divine order.  Since the Council of Rhemir, in 1339, the Temple of the Old Gods has responded in kind and tried to eradicate the Temple of Kor’och as a religious power, but has failed to do so.

Polarized views of the temples have resulted.  The more urban Remusians tend toward the Temple of Kor’och, while the nomadic hunters lean towards the traditional gods.  The followers of Kor’och are more modern in their views toward trade and opening up of the country to outsiders, while the traditionalists fear the outside world and wish to keep to themselves.

Temple of Kor’och

Nacu-Remusians (new Remusians) believe in Kor’och, “Winged Lord of the Eternal”.  Kor’och is a warrior god, and is normally pictured as a winged, hooded figure, riding a great black horse and carrying a large battle axe.

The unique thing about the belief in Kor’och, is that Kor’och was a man; a verifiable historical figure.  He was born in 453, the result of a rape of a Remusian warrior and a Tokarian woman.  The Remusian found out that the woman became pregnant, and since he had no other children as his Remusian wife had died years ago, ordered the Tokarian woman to live with him in Rhemir.  It was a tough childbirth, and the woman did not survive.  The Remusian warrior, however, never truly forgave the boy for his mixed heritage, and treated him very poorly.  It is said that he would get drunk and throw knives at the boy in his anger.  When Kor’och was 15, he turned on his father and killed him.

Kor’och joined the army in Rhemir, and entered adulthood as a brutish killer, devising a two axe technique that has never been duplicated.  He rose in the ranks as he fought the Tokarians, the Sarmanians and the orcs in the east.  His uncle on his mother’s side, a blacksmith, created Kor’och a great shield which he used with his lance. 

Here is where the divinity of Kor’och begins to emerge.  First, his weapons became enchanted, though through Kor’och himself, and not magically.  Through his own being, he transferred power into these items that they did not have before he took them.  Legend relates how, after his patrol got lost in a snowstorm in the Gathorn Mountains, they were on the brink of starvation, and Kor’och wandered off on his own.  When he returned, a small herd of wison were following him, and his patrol was thus able to keep from starving to death.

When Kor’och entered his fifties, he began to devote more and more time to prayer and self awareness.  Needing solitude, he retreated to the Gathorn Mountains, where he lived by himself, hoping to spend time in quiet contemplation of his life.  A few of his closest companions kept returning to Kor’och’s retreat, bringing him supplies and checking on the man.  It was rumoured that Kor’och retreat was a lush green valley that did not freeze, even during the winter.  His followers were sworn to secrecy, so that this retreat would stay hidden.

After Kor’och’s death, ca 512 AS, many writings of his were found on vellum scrolls.  The fact that he could write, is often debated as proof of his divinity, as he had no formal schooling and in life he was never known to have learned to write.  Thus, believers say that is proof that he had become a god, while detractors claim the writings were later works of an anonymous source, and were only attributed to Kor’och.  These works go into detail how Kor’och believed that all life, all men were the mixture of Earth, Wind, Fire, Water and Darkness.  He claims that with the right mixture of these elements, one could become the perfect being.  Though Kor’och never claims in these writing to have achieved this himself, later scholars would argue that he had indeed done so, and thus had not died, but ascended to the next realm.

The first places of worship to Kor’och began to spring up in the mid 550’s.  They were simply caves in the Gathorn Mountains, which the Temple of Kor’och has always revered with significance.  Large ice statues were carved to honour him, in much the same way as the Ice Tribes revere ice totems to their gods.

In the early 600’s, the caves were abandoned in favour of temples, the first being in Rhemir.  They teach the philosophy that life is not real, but only a test.  That true life begins in the next world, once one has gained perfection through the five elements.  It is a philosophy that catches on rather slowly, as it gives women access to this next world as equally as men.  It also breaks away from the strict warrior code that all Ice Tribe follow.  This is quite interesting, as Kor’och himself was an accomplished warrior.

During the Third Orcish War, in 814 AS, a warrior named Caladayn claimed that Kor’och had visited him in a dream, and that Kor’och himself was telling him how to fight the orcs.  Caladayn ended up in command of the armies in the east, and he proved to have remarkable skill.  In the west, the Remusians lost great tracts of land to the orc and Antislar armies, but in the east, the borders held. 

It is during this time, that legends surrounding Kor’och’s Lance began to spring up.  It is said that Caladayn wielded the lance, and that after Caladayn died, the lance disappeared once more.  Legend says that in times of greatest need, the lance will return once more to be wielded by a hero to save the people of Remusiat.

The seat of religious power had been, up until the late 800’s, in Rhemir, the birthplace of Kor’och.  However, it moved to Dorm-nak, closer to the Gathorn Mountains and closer to the place where Kor’och had spent his last years.  For close to 400 years it stayed there, but in the mid 1200’s, power again returned to Rhemir.  But when it did, it was a stronger, harsher religion.  The Lanrul of Rhemir was a strong supporter of the Kor’och sect, and he imposed strict laws according to the perfection of life that Kor’och claimed was the purpose of this life test.  All crimes were punishable by death.  One account has that several young boys were subjected to Splitting for the simple crime of vandalism.  One of them had carved a boast of his warrior prowess comparing himself to Kor’och into a stone on the outside of the temple.

Over the years, a mixture of new and old religions was taking place.  This worried the leaders of the Temple of Kor’och, so that in 1339, a general council was brought together in Rhemir of all the temple leaders from all over Remusiat.  The Council of Rhemir formed the doctrine that was to be the basis of the temple in years to come. 

In it, they claimed that when Kor’och ascended to the next realm, that he defeated the old gods that were there.  The old gods of Nechya, Zundefor and the others were dead.  He had taken the next realm as his own, and only those who followed him, and attained the perfection of the five elements could enter.  As well, all true temples of Kor’och had to have an item of Kor’och’s in it, whether it is piece of bone, or lock of hair, or clothing.  All clerics had to be shaved bald upon initiation, and their heads coated with Tansia seed oil, and the new hair allowed to grow again while tansia oil was applied everyday.  This symbolized his rebirth as a disciple of Kor’och.  All children, boys and girls, that were followers of Kor’och had to have tansia seed oil anointed on them, from under their left eye down to the collarbone on their left shoulder.  This traces the scar that Kor’och is said to have from a beating he took from his father, and the age of 15 is when Kor’och killed his father and became an adult.

A very detailed entry, but not verbose. I felt all the detail there wasn't just added for the sake of it, but it had actual purpose. I think it would be nice now and then to point out what your talking about for us Non-Barbarian, Non-Northern, Non-Sarvonian types....

I liked it alot, and it read much easier than I thought such a huge lump of tex would have.

An achievement  grin

Decipher

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 09 April 2009, 22:33:46 »

Wow.  Thanks for the perusal, Deci and Coren.  My poor little overview is taking a beating. :D  But, I guess that comes with writing it first.  In hindsight, I should leave the overview for last, so that I have everything I need to write a proper overview.  But, thank you for the ideas.  I'll be working on edits here in the near future.

Does anyone know if Pikel is still working on the Ice Tribe Gods?  I'm going to be writing my own Remusian take on them regardless, but it would be better to base it off of anything he might have planned.  Or conversely, he might want some of my ideas.

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10 April 2009, 00:45:52 »

Oh, btw, when I said "overview", I had an overview entry rather than the overview section in mind. :)

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 25 May 2009, 03:08:41 »

Ok, part 2 of the Beliefs section added.  Took a bit to get to this, as I was burned out and needed some distractions, but I'm back on track and am heading into the home stretch now.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]