Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Remusian Men v2.1  (Read 20054 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 January 2009, 12:16:01 »

FYI

Class Structure, Family, Education and Technology has been added.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 06 January 2009, 02:59:13 »

I'm watching your progress! ;)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Björn Kürsch

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 January 2009, 06:11:31 »

Hopefully you are finished, as i'm going to start writing my CD in about a week.
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 January 2009, 10:23:43 »

Finished??  Hahahaha hahaha ha er heh... *giggle*

Uhm.. nope, not quite... I figure 2/3 done.  Religion section will be huge... Military section will be large... will still be adding to almost every section still....

hmmm.... now it's not quite so funny.....

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 23 January 2009, 16:05:31 »

Well, the Remusians are described, so Björn might be able to do a Remusian char, though the old entry might not be very actual.

Btw, I'm following your progress here, Altario, and will write a comment sooner or later. But as there is not much you need to change right now, I will wait a bit longer.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 January 2009, 21:41:10 »

Oh? That is very encouraging, Talia. :)

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 January 2009, 05:10:16 »

I have heard of post limits, but until now, I have never realized one.  Now that I have, I find they are most annoying.  I hope I did not lose anything too important.

Thus, I have been forced to split my entry into two parts.  Sorry for the inconvenience.
« Last Edit: 25 January 2009, 05:13:42 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 25 January 2009, 09:04:35 »

How many Corens will THIS one be?  ;)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 February 2009, 08:38:47 »

*sigh* Too many.

After taking a break to rest my brain, I have resumed working on this.  Engineering section has been added.

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 February 2009, 08:44:58 »

If this continues we might need a 10 Corens= 1 Altario system.....

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 March 2009, 04:00:40 »

Architecture Added..... off to medicine

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 08 March 2009, 04:24:40 »

I have heard of post limits, but until now, I have never realized one.  Now that I have, I find they are most annoying.  I hope I did not lose anything too important.

Thus, I have been forced to split my entry into two parts.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

You breached the Corenic Wall?

I didn't even know there WAS a Corenic Wall... this is slightly unsettling...
« Last Edit: 08 March 2009, 04:26:51 by Miraran Tehuriden » Logged

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 March 2009, 06:59:53 »

Is it wise to make an entry longer than it is concievable to post?

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 08 March 2009, 07:36:22 »

Hi Altario, I use just one colour  , for comments, proposals etc, you take what you want.. And please don‘t mind, if I sound harsh, I‘m too tired to be think of politer ways to express me. And no „maybe you should better write it like this“ ... and similar 
No spellcheck (of my parts ;) ).
And no need to do any changes now, finish it first!

Overview 
The Remusians are one of the Ice Tribes, but they are the most advanced tribe in terms of the ability of building towns, organizing the education of their children, forming a government, enforcing the trade with the south.  They are the only tribe which actively looks out for better trading conditions with the South and is interested in closer relationship to the Santharian Kingdom.  However, they are very proud of their Ice Tribe heritage, and are trying to balance this new development with holding on to the culture that has made them unique.  The Remusians are a people in transition.  It makes for a sometimes turbulent people, a sometimes lost people, but a very fascinating people.

The last sentence is great, the first boring for an introductionary one. That „but“ is unnecessary.
Remusian: That (tribe?) stands for greatness (grandeur?), innovation and  glasnost (couldn‘t find the appropriate English word) in the very far Northeast of the Sarvonian continent. No other Icetribe is as much advanced in ..

To the order you arranged your topics: When I want to inform me about a tribe which interest me, the least I want to kow is the coat of arms. The territory is important, but I do have a bit of information already from the overview, so what I want to read is how they look, how they are, what they are like. I personally would put the people section right behind the appearance section in the template which the site suggests. Here I have to dig through territiry, environement, flora and what not before I come to the really interesting part. Of course I could choose under the heading what I want to read first, but it could be, that I miss then information you have provide above which I don‘t have and would need for the understanding. If you write first appearance etc, then you automatically lead the reader through your entry..  I know this is only my opinion and please don‘t change anything right now, but finish this monster work and think then how it is best to arrange it. And then go an polish :)

Coat of Arms

The Remusian Coat of Arms is a ?  backlit image of Remusiat, above which hangs a vertical image of the ?  Forsaken Blade.  On flags and banners, both are black on a red background.  However, when this coat of arms is set on a shield or tapestry, the city is in red, and the background is black.  The Forsaken Blade is still black, but has a thin white outline around it.
Whole sentences! 
Regardless of the style used, it has the same meaning.  It is a symbol that the Forsaken Blade protects the city of Remusiat specifically, and all Remusian land in general.

Geography

Territory

The Remusian territory covers the area from the Heaths of Wilderon no comma  to the Wastes of Despair no comma  in a East to West direction, while North to South no comma  it goes from the Bay of Calinth to the Gathorn Mountains.   Therefore, most of the country lies in the Icelands Coast Region no comma  and as such no comma suffers from the extreme weather there.  Across the channel to the northeast is the territory of Kordos, taken from the Tokarians, and now a province of Remusia.  When Kordos was taken over, the Remusians took over everything that belonged to the Tokarians.  It was brutal and ugly.  The large tracts of plains in Remusia are known as the Frozen Wastes.

Yellow= is not of interest here 
The five main settlements in Remusia are Remusiat, the capitol, as well as Rhemir, Sudarok, Sorsokon, and Dorm-nak.  Remusiat is by far the largest of these, with a population of over 9,000 people [color=00C5CD];  [/color] it sits on the southern coast of the Bay of Calinth, north of the Gathorn Mountains.  Rhemir has a population of near 5,000 while the other three have populations near 3,000.  Most of the people of Remusia live in nomadic settlements that follow the wison herds, or along the coast where fishing sustains their way of life.

How many are then nomadic? How much people counts the tribe in total? If you know that.   
Dorm-nak is the smallest of the Remusian cities, with a population of less than 3,000 people.  It sits at the foot of the Gathorn Mountains, at the eastern end of Remusia.  It has been called “The Doorway to the South”, as it is right at the mouth to Giant’s Pass, named for the giants that occasionally use this route to come from the Stone Fields of Peat into the Icelands.  It is an important trading community to the Kanapan Peninsula, via land travel.  It was also an important religious center for many years.  Many buildings started here, during the short reign of Pidandra of 150 days, were made from Ertimmer’s Blood, a red stone quarried south of the city.  This includes the great Sanctuary of Pargis.  As well, followers of Kor’och find this to be an important city, and it is said that Kor’och is buried here.  In the 800’s, this was the seat of religious power for the followers of Kor’och, and stayed that way until the 1400’s, when it was moved back to Rhemir.  Eye of Nechya is also quarried near here, to the east, and The Guardian, a colossal statue of a Caracal, is carved from a giant block of this, and stands guard outside the city gates.

Sorsokon has a population of a little more than 3,000 people.  It is the home of Sorso Salt, and has been a Remusian settlement for nearly 4,000 years, making it Remusia’s oldest city.  The best fishing can be found off its shores, as well as the fields that produce phummel, so it is known as Remusia’s Pantry.  Its excess food stores are shipped throughout Remusia, as well as used as trading cargo.  Sorsokon was built in a unique fashion, where whole blocks of homes were built together, and one entered the home from above.  It is felt that these homes can be kept warmer with less expenditure of fuel, because the walls are not exposed to the elements.

Sudarok has a population of more than 3,000 people.  If any place can be called artistic, in Remusia, then this city would be the place.  In the early days of Remusia, Sudarok was the capitol, but in 110 AS, it was moved to Remusiat, after a short war between the two cities.  The Lanrul Wurg of Remusiat defeated the Lanrul Fororio of Sudarok.  The people here still, even after all this time, feel a sort of resentment to those in Remusiat for this, and it has created a rivalry between the two cities.  Each tries to out do the other in terms of commerce, the arts, and military strength.  In the case of the arts, Sudarokans have been labelled as a bit uppity in their views because of the far superior artistic expression here.  Sudarok is, like Remusiat, a walled city, built with the black Eye of Nechya, which is quarried south of the city.
This is a lot of history here for a territory section. I would prefer to know more about the actual environement of the villages, if it is different  from each other or fairly the same? How many strals are they apart from each other, how long does travelling take from one to the other.
Then I do need to object to the description of Dorm-nak:
.. It sits at the foot of the Gathorn Mountains, at the eastern end of Remusia.  It has been called “The Doorway to the South”, as it is right at the mouth to Giant’s Pass, named for the giants that occasionally use this route to come from the Stone Fields of Peat into the Icelands.  It is an important trading community to the Kanapan Peninsula, via land travel. ... 
There are the Wastes of Despair and right to the west of it is the  Heath of Wilderon. The Stone field of Peat is much more South. At the border of both (wastes and Heath) sits Barsalon (a bit different than on the map - I asked for this some time ago) . So, I doubt, that the giants would come up there - maybe they did looong ago, but not now.
I imagined Barsalon as the town which dominates the trade to the South and the West (there is no trade to the East, at least for now - any attempts to found a harbour somewhere on this eastern coast were averted by the Barsalonians. We could discuss though about a dangerous route between the Wastes and the Stonefield, but that would be controlled by Barsalon as well.
So, that would mean, that Remusia is dependent to some degree on Barsalon, at least, as long as the sea is frozen. It will surely be interested to have its influencial people there, we can discuss this, when I write this criminal town down. Just to make it clear - Barsalon is NOT interested in strangling Remusia, they just want a share from is growing  wealth. It would even support that growing - the more money gets back in their pockets.
Remusia could try to establish a route along the Northern coast though, from the Bay of Calinth to the Southern tip of the Gulf of Cant‘aelwyn and farther to the west and south, but Barsalon would surely pay some criminals to rob the caravans there  ;))

I just looked at the map and thouhgt , if Dorm-nak should not lie at the western end?

Environment

At first blush the environment of Remusia is a cold and bleak one, but upon further investigation proves to be much more than that.   The perma-ice layer seems to ebb and flow from season to season, much as the sea tide.  The province of Kordos is nearly always frozen, including the city of Rhemir, while the cities of Sorsokon and Sudarok definitely have a summer season of bare soil, in which alto grass grows.  The cities of Remusiat and Dorm-nak lay along the dividing line of these weather systems, and each city has had years with perma-ice, and years where it has melted to the soil beneath.  There seams to be no cycle or correlations to determine in advance what the summer will be like in any particular year.

Remusia is unique in that they have what they call a Zekar Wind.  This wind blows south, off the Bay of Calinth, and is usually a very frigid wind.  In the summer, this can bring cooler temperatures, but in winter, biting cold is only the beginning.  Massive amounts of snowfall can fall in a relatively short time, making the unwary traveller trapped in a very hostile environment.

It is this extreme environment that has shaped the Remusians; defined them as a people unique to Sarvonia.  One only has to learn that they have no less than 34 different words for Snow, that they call Shanno, to know how in tune  they are to their world.  From the light, almost ice crystal snow that flutters lazily down on the coldest Remusian day, Shanno-lysene, to the heavy, wet, almost warm snow that falls in late spring, and summer months, Shanno-tappari, with that one word, they can convey very evocative descriptions to one another.  They are a people perfectly adapted to live in a world most of us would shirk from.
Was that the climate section?

Natural Resources

Though the Ice lands are poor countries, this has more to do with cultural insulation than from lack of natural resources.  True, wood in the form of trees is a rare item, and a luxury reserved for only the wealthiest Remusians, but  there is a bit of wood that Remusians can get.  Driftwood is an expensive item that washes up on the shores of Remusia from the Iol Peninsula, namely the Mantle Woods.  Then again, in the Gathorn Mountains, there is a small shrub called the Alicott that provides wood in small amounts.
Is wood traded from the south?
Stone is the great resource of the Ice Lands.  It can be found in great abundance here, if one wishes to clear the ice away.  Most of it is unassuming and common stone, but there are pockets of fine expensive stone here as well.  Red Marble, called Ertimmer’s Blood, is quarried south of Dorm-nak, while Black Granite, called the Eye of Nechya, can be found both east of Dorm-nak as well as south of Sudarok.

There are not many types of metals in Remusia.  However, iron can be found in the Gathorn Mountains.  Known as Gathorn Iron, it is a strange metal in that it is found in large rounded globs under the ice and snow.  It is also a poor iron that takes an extra hot fire in order to remove the impurities in the metal.  Thus, very skilled smiths are needed to work it.  Gold is also found here, mostly in the northern areas of Kordos province.  There is not much of it to be found, but what there is is lusted after by enterprising Remusians.

You could use Mithrilan to enhance your iron

Of course, the sea provides much of Remusia’s resources.  The sea that serves the Remusians well is the Bay of Calinth, a stormy arm of the Ice Sea.  Fish, in a wide variety of species provide much to the Remusian people, as well as other types of sea going creatures, like Carteloreen.  As well, a lucky Remusian might find a Saiph stone having washed up on the rocky shore.

Flora

The barren land and extreme weather has done much to limit the number of types of plant life in the Icelands.  Still, life does grow here.  By far, the most common plant in this bleak wilderness is the Hrugchuk Grass, which grows hardy, even beneath the snow.  Here, too, grows the Alth’mon, known as Varro, which the Remusians use in their medical treatments.

Further south, in the higher elevations of the Gathorn Mountains, a hardy bush called the Alicott Shrub grows.  Its gnarled branches are a very hard wood, and have been used by the Remusians as fuel for smiths, as it burns very hot.  Because these shrubs rarely grow more than a ped in height, and the branches are often smaller than two adult fingers in width, the wood is not much use for anything besides burning.
The smiths could use dried wison dung as well, don‘t knw, if you want to mention it here. And there will be crude oil available, but I have no idea, how to use it in smithies. 

Fauna

As with the plant life, the harsh environment here has shaped the face of animal life in the area.  There are a few domesticated breeds here.  The Kor’och fey Mologh, the Mount of Kor’och, is the breed of horse that was actually developed by the Remusians over 300 years ago.  The Wilderon Cat is also from here, used to keep down the hrugchuck mouse population.  Both for hunting and sled pulling, the Icemut is a valuable dog breed.

Other animals that are not domesticated as such, but are valuable to the Remusians are the Wison, the Snow Falcon and Icesnout.  The Wison’s migration route takes it through the heart of the province of Kordos, making that region hotly contested between the Remusians and Tokarians.  The Snow Falcon is the symbol of Remusian royalty, and kings have been practicing falconry for years, and they are expert at it.  The Remusian army puts to use the Icesnout, which the scouts use for long trips onto the wastes, where less hardy breeds would perish.  Leapor Hares and Leveret Rabbits provide meat and pelts.

Few insects can be found in this harsh environment, but the Dargimer Fly and the Glass Winged Butterfly do thrive.  Add to this, the Blue Myrmex  and Snow Orm are insects that can cause great distress if found in large numbers.  The Snow Cob, a cousin of the Woolly Cob, is an animal that hunts mice.  Some Snow Cobs have been kept by the Remusians to keep down the mice population, but they have been replaced mostly by the Wilderon Cat.

Other animals that can be found are the Snow Gynnia, the Nue’mon to the north, and the Klymmer, an aquatic bird found on the rocky cliffs that lives on small fish.  The Rheah and the Thunderfoot wander the wastes, while the dangerous and legendary Caracal prowls in search of unwary prey.  The mystical White bear, the embodiment of Zundefor, roams the Frozen Wastes along the Bay of Calinth and the channels.  In the cities is found the Snow Rat, a huge nuisance to food stores.  The Slyrking can be found at the very outside of Remusian territory, where the frozen wastes give way to tundra.

The southern border of Remusiat is found the Gathorn Mountain range, which has many animals there.  Among them are the Cloaked Elk and the Tar’andus Deer, both hunted by the Remusians for food and hides.  Eagles nest along the cliffs.

The frigid Bay of Calinth provides many types of fish, such as the evoor and varlihn, as well as the deadly Dark Stryke Shark.  Carteloreen provide much what? to the Remusians, and they are hunted by the most intrepid of sailors.  The elusive selkie can be found in the waters, as well as on land during the warmer months.  The very rare Krrroa'haxpattl Monster is said to live in the bay, though no reliable reports have been found to prove this.

One creature that is beyond the natural order of animals is the Sleeper in the Snow.  Little is known of these creatures.  Remusian tales warn of these terrors which lay in wait in drifts of snow, then attack without warning, and without mercy.

Pinnip? 

Culture

Appearance

In the last two or three generations, there seems to be an evolution of the Remusian people, from the traditional Ice Tribe “lower” Remusian, and the more urban “higher” Remusian.  This being said, there are still some truths that are common to both factions.
Hmm, I don‘t like how you introduced this „lower“ and „higher“, though I do not object generally, for the old Icetribe members might themselves see as „lower“, but not in a negative way. Just as a well off farmer saw his nobility as „higher“, which did not affect his self-esteem.

In the last two or three generations, there seems to be an evolution of the Remusian people, from the traditional Ice Tribe  the more urban Remusian. The groups are referred to has „higher“, urban Remusian, while the „lower“ Remusian is the name for the tradional living part of the tribe. Though the terms „higher“ and „lower“ Remusians are interpreted now as being of higher or lower educational level, its origine lies in the living mode. The people of the towns lived in houses which had a second floor... All wrong, skip the last sentence *laughs at Altario*, but you see, what I mean ;) .. its origine lies in the wrong use of the words higher and lower, for in fact „taller“ and „smaller“ were meant. The „higher“ Remusians had opened their families to women of he South who brought not only wealth, but an increase in bodyheight as well.... Forget it ;)

Most Remusians are shorter than their southern counterparts, males being typically around 1 ped 2 fores in height, the women slightly shorter.  They are built somewhat heavier than average, with thick chests and broad shoulders, again, with women slightly smaller than the men.

The typical Remusian has dark hair and eyes, though this is changing in recent years with the influx of people from the south.  In higher Remusians, almost any color of hair and eyes can be found.  Among lower Remusians, this is not so, as lower Remusians tend not to be as accepting of other tribes as the higher Remusians, let alone inter-marry.  Large, calloused hands are typical, even among women, who take on a heavy share of the workload in Remusian society.  This can also be seen on the faces of the Remusians, as they are often found with rough looking features, with an aged appearance.  Again, the higher Remusians have less of this, whether because of the softer features of the new blood being brought into the population, or by the fact that the higher Remusians live a somewhat softer lifestyle that the lower Remusians, who must eck out a life in the most extreme of circumstances.

Remusian men wear their hair either long, in a ponytail that is often wrapped in leather and tied to the back of their tunic, in order to keep enemies from grabbing it in battle, or short, cropped above ear level.  Facially, clean shaven is the preferred fashion, though many lower Remusians continue to wear the beard as a sign of being a warrior.

Among women, long hair is the desired style, the longer the hair, the more attractive the woman becomes.  Some women are reported to have hair that is longer than they are tall! In times of mourning, a wife may cut her hair completely off when her husband dies.  This is most common among younger women whose husbands are killed in battle.
  Maybe they only remarry if their hair has reached a certain length again?

Tattooing is practiced among the Remusian women, while most men do not tattoo themselves.  Geometric shapes; circles, stars, teardrops or even squiggly lines are used and placed on the face, either on the cheek, under the eye, or along the forehead.  These tattoos are given around age 15, as a sign of maturity and are considered beauty marks by the Remusians.  Most women will have only one or two tattoos, though some women, mostly lower Remusian, will completely cover their faces in these tattoos.  The ink used is derived from the fluid of the Hrugchuk flower, so is a deep blue in colour.  Some women will rub charcoal into cuts on the face, in order to have black tattoos, but this is far less common.

As well, women also use jewellery as signs of beauty, and rings for fingers, nose, eyes, lips and ears are favourite trinkets adorned.  As well, wristbands, necklaces and broaches are common.  Mediums for these items of jewellery are gold, silver, ivory, stone and bone.  The more jewellery no comma  and the more intricate the design, the higher the status of the woman, which is a direct reflection on the wealht of her husband or father.

Skip your „as wells“, also  and „and“ , sentence structure?

People

Remusians have been described by many who have actually met them, as smug.  This is from a deeply ingrained sense of superiority in the average Remusian.  They are from a society that is very isolated no comma  and consequently, they have become isolationists.  In their view of the world, they are the central race and tribe. Because of this, they are almost religiously fanatical in their defence of their homeland.  This has led to the warriors becoming renowned for their ferocity no comma  and their archers being some of the best, with only the elves having a higher standing.  The Remusian society is based on heroic warfare, where the warrior is heralded above all others.

The woman  live in a somewhat suppressed society, though in comparison to the other Ice Tribes, are very liberated and   are treated with a measure of respect, though one cannot say they are equals.  They are allowed to own property, even businesses in the larger cities, though they are excluded from any military or political voice.  In the more progressive levels of higher Remusian society, women can choose on their own, who they would like to marry, while in lower Remusian society, arranged marriages are still the norm.

One thing that binds all Remusians, lower and higher alike, is the feeling of abhorrence to magic.  Since the time of the War of the Chosen, when thousands of Remusians, as well as all the Ice Tribes, were killed from magical experiments, they have held a deeply ingrained grudge against all practitioners of the arcane arts.  Anyone caught using magic is put to death in a number of brutal ways. (see Law)

Housing

Among the Ice Tribes, the Remusians are considered very different, having a more urban development.  Though, over half of their population still resides in nomadic clans following the wison migration patterns, many reside in one of the four main fortified Remusian cities; the capitol city of Remusiat, whose population nears 10, 000 people, and Sorsokon, Sudarok, and Dorm-nak, whose populations are only around 3000-4000 people each.  The population explosion in Remusiat has only happened within the last generation, and outside influences can be felt here.
There remains stil the question, how far the single icetribe folows the migrstional wison. Are they just killed when they cross the territory? And the rest of the - half - year they lookout for something else? 
The typical Remusian house is a multi-generational dwelling.  They are built in a large ring design, with four houses sharing the structure, much like a pie cut into four pieces, built around a central fireplace which has four openings, one for each home.  Each wedge is a distinct home, and the central fireplace doubles as a stove for each.  This has saved on resources for the Remusians, as one wall serves two homes, which in turn saves the amount of fuel needed to heat each home.  Each home is further divided into three rooms, the kitchen, and two smaller side rooms.  The kitchen is where the family spends most of its time indoors, and serves as dining room.  The two side rooms are bedrooms.  The lead male of the home and his spouse share one room, while all the children and grandparents share the other.  In some homes, this can be a crowded ordeal, but the Remusians deal with this in typical stoic Remusian fashion.

Almost every home has its own cellar carved into the ground beneath it.  With the permafrost of the ground, the cellars are an ideal place to store provisions, being away from the warmth of the fireplace, yet out of the freezing temperatures outside.  These cellars are typically pretty small, perhaps a ped in depth, and only a few peds across.

The wall of the Remusian house is made of stone, not finely carved pieces of stone, but rather rough cut and piled up, with mud and ice used as mortar.  Each wall is usually a few peds thick, to keep out the cold, and on the inside is lined with furs and hides hung to add to the insulating effect.  The houses are surprisingly warm, even in the coldest of winter months, though sleeping without blankets, or lounging about without at least a few layers of clothes would still be a bit chilly.  Remusian homes do not have windows, and the door is often only a flap of hide stretched across an opening in the stone wall.  Small clay lamps are used to provide light, burning carteloreen oil.  Carteloreen fat, wison dung as well as driftwood are used as fuel for the fireplaces.  Thus, the rooms have a pungent odour to them, though the Remusians do not seem to notice or mind it.

I think you di need a small „entrance hall“,  a kind of lock. It cam be as small as half a square ped, but a double hide with a little room inbetween would have a big effect on not loosing the warmth of the house too quickly.

Adding to the smell of the homes, is the fact that any livestock the family has, usually in the form of sheep or goats, is kept inside with them.  The animals have full run of the house, as leaving them outside in the coldest weather may be a life threatening mistake.

The roofs of the average home are a framework of Carteloreen bone, with hides stretched over it.  Stones are used to weight down the hide so that it does not blow away during some of the more severe storms, though this does occasionally happen.

Several layers of hide with some insulation between!  And if you take snow! Or is there enough snow on top , that it keeps warm inside? Wool? (raw, the fleece, so that enough air is trapped, wool is fairly unimpressed by moistmess as well) Aren‘t you from Canada? Your people will thank you, if you don‘t allow the heat to escape via the roof!

Of course, this is just a description of what the typical home is like, and there are variations and other styles.  In the poorer sections of the cities, homes are built more like that of the nomadic Remusian.  This is more or less a tent of hide that is stretched over a framework of Carteloreen bone, with snow piled high against the walls to provide insulation, and protection from the wind.  These homes can be taken down and set up again in only a brief time by adept Remusian nomads.

In Remusiat, some of the nobles are living in what can only be described as Remusian villas, with influences from southern countries.  These villas are only a few years old, with many materials, including wood beams and roofs, being brought in at considerable expense.  This is one of the more obvious signs that Remusiat is changing with the opening of trade to the south.
And these villas have surely a floor (and wall) heating like the Romans had!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocaust

As stated, the more traditional Remusian, living outside the cities, use tents for homes.  These people are more nomadic in nature, though in places where semi permanent residence is taken, snow houses are built as well, called ruhmir.  These are not much more that snow being piled up high, yet packed down by stamping on it, and then carved hollow.  These are one room dwellings, and can be found in areas where hunting is good, like near the migration trails of the wison.  The nomadic hunters will return to these homes two or three times a year and stay for only a few weeks each time.  They are not considered as property, and anyone may claim one should they come across a vacant one and need shelter for a few days.

The Remusians have little in the way of furniture.  Some homes have a table and chairs of carteloreen frames stretched over by rawhide and left to dry, forming a remarkably strong piece.  Most families, however sit on furs on the floor, and sleep in large fur lined bags.

Clothing

Remusians dress much like their Ice Tribe brethren.  This includes Cancu wool jerkins, thick trousers, heavy shirts, as well as heavy boots.  Women dress fairly similar to men, especially in the nomadic clans.  Some of the more popular materials used in clothing are cancu wool, wison hide, pinnip skin, and icemut pelt.  In particular, wison hide parkas are very popular.  The saying that snow never melts on a wison’s back, is a testament to how warm these coats can be, though they are heavy, especially if wet.

The boots of the Remusians are made perfectly for the extreme environment in which they live.  The outside is pinnip skin sown to a sharkskin sole.  Inside there is a layer of icemut fur.  An inner boot fits into this, which is sheepskin inside sown to an outer layer of either icemut fur again, or more often Wilderon cat fur.  It is the two layers of fur together that gives these boots such strong insulating values, and it is said by many that this is because of the constant fighting between the dog and cat furs warming the boot from inside.

In the cities, particularly Remusiat, women have begun to wear dresses from the south.  Fabrics, such as spilk, unavailable in Remusia, have become popular among the higher Remusian ladies.  These dresses, many from brightly coloured Caltharian dyes, have become a sort of status symbol among the noble women.  This has not gone without some controversy however, as lower Remusians are outraged at the fine materials used instead of natural hides from within Remusiat.  There are even reports where a lady was splashed with wison blood, ruining her dress, to the crowds shouts of anger and chants of “Spilk no more; that’s what killings for!”  These occurrences are rare, however.

White fur is reserved for the Lanruls, and now the royal family.  This comes from a tradition dating back hundreds of years where the Lanruls took the hides from Eanian wargs, which used to thrive here a few centuries earlier.  The warg fur was seen as a sign of virility and strength.  It is said that King Timeras has a mantle of white Eanian fur, though it has not been seen since the Fifth Orcish War, when his father Araman II ( 1635-1654) wore it as a symbol of Remusian strength when he rode out of Remusiat with the cavalry, only to fall in battle.

Traditional nomadic Remusians, especially the hunters, wear what is called a Boonaye suit.  This is a one piece outfit that has a hood, parka and trousers all in one.  Often made from the hide of the Cloaked Elk and the Tar’andus, with the fur inside the outfit, and the leather toward the outside, this suit can keep out the coldest weather.  The antlers of these animals are used in concert with the Boonaye suit in order for hunters to slowly make their way toward potential prey.  It is believed that the prey assume the antlered hunter is just another animal on the frozen wastes.

Another purely Remusian piece of clothing, is the cayowl.  It is simply a hood that goes over the head, and keeps the cold not only off the head, but the neck as well.  It is made like a tube, with an area removed for the face.  A drawstring around this hole can be pulled tight so that only the eyes are visible, or relaxed so that the entire face is free, depending on the conditions.
And what are the other poor Icetribe wearing? 
Lanrul Lugan II (1553-1584) was wounded in a battle and took to wearing masks to hide his disfigurement, which started a brief fad.  Since then, masks can still be found among the higher Remusians, worn during their Reyallas.  The parents wear the masks so that they are “removed” from the interaction of the young adults of whom the celebration was formed.  These masks are often the removed portion of skull of a wolf, or pinnip or other animal.  They are held in place over the face with leather thongs.

Food

The Remusians have a diet that is filled with meat products.  This is not to say that grown foods cannot be found, but they are very much there to supplement the meat that they use.  Because of the climate, vegetables, fruits and herbs are a premium and used sparingly.  In fact, many Remusans believe that eating too much fruit and vegetables causes fevers.

The sea provides much abundance for the Remusians.  Fish is a main staple of Remusian diet, and the country relies on the bounty of the sea.  A small fish, called varlihn, is grilled with a salt seasoning and is eaten often.  Carteloreen provide much meat, and when the boats come into the harbour with a fresh catch, there is often a mad scramble by people trying to get some before it is gone.  And of course, salt is regularly harvested from the sea.  Finally, the sea provides the base for shark fin soup, made from the fins of the Dark Stryke Shark.  Because of legends, it is believed that this soup has fertility uses.  The rest of the meat is considered a delicacy, due to the rarity of catching one.

There are not too many domesticated animals for the Remusians to use, but there are a few.  Cancu sheep are raised, and dishes are prepared from the flesh of the sheep.  Some wison are kept, and from these, not only is the meat used, but milk and cheese is derived from them.  As well, sometimes the live animals are bled, to bring added nutrition to the table, in the form of sauces and gravies.  In domesticated herds, only warriors are allowed to butcher bulls, to harken to the nomadic ways where only the most able hunters dared try and fell a wild bull.  This is done effectively and sacredly, in a ritual attended by only warriors of high status.  The meat is ritually shared, with the choicest cuts going to the warriors, then the elders, and finally the women and children.  Wison meat is often tough, so sometimes it is soaked in Harump sauce to marinate it and make it tenderer.  This sauce is made primarily from the urine of young male Kor’och-fey-Mologh, and is washed off completely after soaking in it for a day.  The Remusian horse also provides milk and cheese.  The milk is sometimes used to make Yuritz, a fermented blending of horse milk and hrugchuk grass.  It is a strong concoction that only the heartiest of Remusians indulge in.

Wild birds and game provide for the Remusians as well.  A plump little bird called the Klymmer is often the source for eggs, which are large and delicious.  Woolly boar and Rheeah are also favourite meats that the Remusians eat when available.  Truth be told, Remusians will eat almost anything they can kill.  Food can sometimes be quite scarce and they do not take that lightly.

Odenbels, hot springs found in the north, provide what little there is for agriculture. (see Production and Agriculture)   A pungent herb called garlick is grown here, and is used as an additive to many foods.  As well, a short stalked grain called Phummel is grown.  It makes a heavy flour when ground, and can be used to make a flatbread, mixed with ash many times, as this extends the bread.  Many times this is spread with a paste made from beans that are grown as well, cooked and crushed, then mixed with pinnip oil and salt.  Pinnip oil is oil rendered down from pinnip fat.  It is then spread over the bread and eaten.  As well, a distilled drink called Remusian Wisk-Away is made from this grain.  It's name comes from the fact that after a few drinks, one is "wisked away" to a new reality.  A hard root, called a radzish is grown, also an additive for food receipts.  Another food additive is murmir, a small fungus that grows in the cellars of many Remusian homes.  By far, the most used grown food used by the Remusians is the varyte, a local name for the sweetneep, that is usually grated into a paste, which is then fried in pinnip fat.

I love this last part!

The Alicott shrub of the Gathorn Mountains produces small red berries.  These berries, though very bitter in of themselves, are used by the Remusian women to preserve meat.  When these berries are boiled, then drained, and the pits removed, are ground into fresh meat.  sentence Something in the berries works to extend the freshness of raw meat so that it can be transported further, with the military, for example, or with hunters out on the wastes.  The berries are not eaten by themselves, except in extreme cases, but even then in only small amounts, as too many eaten raw can cause severe stomach discomfort.
Doesn‘t the cold (=freezing weather) preserve the meat anyway?

Enough for now!
« Last Edit: 08 March 2009, 07:39:20 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 March 2009, 08:52:59 »

Talia :D  Thank you for looking closely at this.  I have looked at your comments, and will put some real thought into them.  Like you suggested, I will finish the entry before we start to edit, but you have my little mind working on some additions and changes already.  I appreciate the effort and the external links.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]