Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Cross-reference contest  (Read 20780 times)
Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 11

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 26 January 2009, 03:03:57 »

Okay, okay...I'll extend the deadline then. Let's see, I guess Feb 15th then? That way people who want to participate won't have to come on here on Valentine's Day itself, since they may have other plans for that day.

And as to the posting, I'm going to change it to each person posting their own entry in the appropiate forum. That way it can be integrated with more ease, and less redundant posting. Also, that makes each person responsible for their own entry, so less worries about schedules. I hope Irid and Deci don't feel upset with me for being wishy-washy about this detail.

Unless of course somebody objects?...*looks doubtful and wavering*

:D
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 26 January 2009, 03:06:52 »

Wait.... what other plans would we have?
Are you telling me we can do.... NON-Santharian things?
Because in that case, I think these chains are unnecessary :P

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 26 January 2009, 03:14:07 »

Of course not...I just didn't see why you shouldn't use a holiday to catch up on all those unwritten entries on that desk you're chained to. evil

I wouldn't want to take you away from that work for something fun like a contest, especially on a holiday. ;)

BTW, the rules are now added into the first post of this thread.

EDIT: I added Talia's link category definitions into the first post as well. I also changed one of the rules to allow for WIP entries that are on the boards to be considered, provided they remain WIP and unhighlighted until the contest deadline.
« Last Edit: 26 January 2009, 03:23:18 by Morden Peshirgolz » Logged
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 26 January 2009, 04:36:03 »

Would it be possible for me to send my entry to someone before that weekend and have them post it for me on the appropriate day?  It's just I'll be away that weekend at a swing dance camp with no internet and don't get back until the monday.

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 26 January 2009, 04:37:40 »

The Eyelians offer their hand in service.
That is to say, I've got your back, Rookie.

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Alek I'vajan

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 26 January 2009, 04:39:10 »

If you need help, I'd like to offer assistance. I'll drop you a line with my e-mail in it so you can e-mail me the entry and I'll post it whenever you ask.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #66 on: 26 January 2009, 05:39:16 »

Morden, thanks for all the work!

.. But please, if you copy me, correct the grammar ! *blushes* - (And I think category 3 links are not necessary. )

Should we not have a thread where everybody sets a link to his /her entry who wants to participate?

Two weeks more is fine, more time to complete things.

Two questions:

Does highlighting mean just colouring or linking? Colouring the links? Or is linking enough without colouring?

Who decides who gets the "quality" award? A poll? Irid and Deci?  (*feels unwell with this part*)

Rookie, you could put your entry on the stuff server and just sent the link to somebody, you can send it to me as well though.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 26 January 2009, 06:16:52 »

How do I put the entry on the server stuff?  That would probably be easiest for everyone, and I could move it to the right forum when I came back on monday night.

If that's complicated I'll just send it to someone - thanks for the offers guys.

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 26 January 2009, 06:33:26 »

Uhm, no judging for me, I don't feel at all qualified for that :)

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 26 January 2009, 06:43:22 »

OK, sorry about that, Talia. What you wrote made sense to me, so I didn't take the time to edit. Those little mistakes make your posts charming (and I feel guilty that I never have to speak a second language ;) )

In answer to your question, that will be determined by a poll. I wouldn't worry, though, it's just for fun. It gives everybody an incentive to write and to look at other people's works. I really don't care about who ends up the "winner", because if everyone submits good entries from this, the whole team benefits. Just trying to promote quality with the quantity. Thanks for your concern though, Talia, your thoughts are always appreciated. :)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #70 on: 26 January 2009, 16:22:27 »

Morden, I have a proposal for another category of 'awards' for this competition, in fact this would be the truest to your first idea:

Why don't you introduce a 'prize' for the best ratio of words/links? For everybody can write a long entry and put in there a lot of links, but the true challenge would be to write an entry with a moderate length and provide there many links. Of course they should not be too far-fetched (I think, far-fetched does not describe what we call in German: to attract(?)/pull something close with(?)  the hairs. Sounds wrongly, I know ;) )
One or two more persons who are able to collect a 'prize'/title.

An example:
An entry has 3000 words and 25 links, that would be a ratio of 120  (3000/25=120)
The next has 1000 words and 25 links, that would be a ratio of 40, what would of course be better. The smaller the number the better.

One prize in this category would go to  the one with the best ratio in {words/link-category1}  links, another to {words/link-category 1+2}
Forget about cat 3-links

What do you think?

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 26 January 2009, 22:40:15 »

The only potential issue with that is you need a certain amount of words to integrate something into an entry properly and make the piece interesting too.  Otherwise you could just have a long list!

Edit:  On second thoughts, I can't really see anybody doing that.  So it seems like a good idea to me! :)
« Last Edit: 26 January 2009, 22:49:51 by Rookie Brownbark » Logged

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 26 January 2009, 23:27:43 »

That sounds like a good idea, Talia! I'll be sure to add it to the first post. And I don't think any  abuse of that will occur, since one requirement of the contest is that the entry be a relevant, Santharianized work. Besides, I think most of the people planning on participating are experienced enough to know better. ;)
Mannix
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 27 January 2009, 10:54:31 »

I'm just wondering, is there a cut-off date that you can't start the entry before? So any entry started before that date would be ineligible for the contest.

Mannix
« Last Edit: 27 January 2009, 10:56:14 by Mannix » Logged

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Development Schedule ~ The Hobbit Deity Liran ~ Hobbit Beliefs Discussion
Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 28 January 2009, 08:41:54 »

No, there isn't. I know for somebody like Nsiki or Alt, who have massive entries being finished on-site, we can tell when they started(and I think Nsiki was the one interested, Alt may not be done in time). But most of the people who plan on doing a submission for this are writing it offsite. I have no way of telling when they started. Take Talia for instance, she already said that she had an entry suitable for this contest nearly finished at the time I first suggested this. So no, I cannot make any such restriction. It may be a little unfair, but this contest is just fun and a little incentive, after all.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]