Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: A new proposal!  (Read 14339 times)
Tadius

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 10 January 2009, 05:18:06 »

I am new, and so please forgive me if I am proposing something impossible here, but I would like to create a Roc, or the equivalent a hawk or eagle of a size that it can be ridden by a people. I hope there is a people still in need of development, so I can fit these flying giants in with out causing to big a stir.

Exact colour and size are still up for grabs in my mind, but obviously birds of such abilities would need to be quite large. I could also see how the possesion of such creatures would make a tribe too powerful, but maybe we can give them to a tribe of peace that would much rather keep to them selves than establish any kind of kingdom, or may be the birds will refuse to travel too far from their homes, and thus their stubbornness thwarts any ideas of using them as tools to conquer another area.

I do hope I am allowed to do this creation, because I am very excited about its possibilities.

Thanks,
Tadius

"Nothing teaches us better than literature to see, in ethical and cultural differences, the richness of human patrimony, and to prize those differences as a manifestation of humanities multi-faceted creativity." -Mario Vargas Llosa-
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2009, 05:49:20 »

Alas, it's already been done!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Tadius

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2009, 06:05:21 »

Maybe something of an opposing nature can be devised. The said Gryph has the appearance of an eagle and carries a certain majesty and beauty with that look. Perhaps a falcon of equal size that is rather more fierce and sleek looking would serve to create a balance in nature by providing an equal and possibly opposing force. Then again, maybe there is not enough room for two such giant aerial predators in Caelereth. If this is not fathomable I will move on and go in a different direction.

Thanks,
Tad

"Nothing teaches us better than literature to see, in ethical and cultural differences, the richness of human patrimony, and to prize those differences as a manifestation of humanities multi-faceted creativity." -Mario Vargas Llosa-
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2009, 07:06:09 »

Well, there are also Lurker Beetles from Ru'nor, and Locust Wyverns (aka Demon Drakes) in Nybelmar.

But, if you think you can come up with something very different from these beasts, we can always see what can be made to fit.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2009, 07:28:16 »

I'd suggest that you not try to develop this bird on the main continent (Sarvonia), since that's fairly well developed--it will be hard to fit it into the existing ecosystem.  But you might be able to work it into Nyblemar or Aeruillin.  Just a thought.

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2009, 19:25:01 »

Now now, lets not limit our options! Who said it'd be a bird ;)

Avrah Kehabhra

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2009, 00:42:26 »

Well, let's not cast away the notion of the falcon either- if you don't do the gryph cousin, I just might! I'm already placing him geographical, and figuring his importance to the Eyelians in my head... yes, yes, I do indeed approve of a giant falcon!
Note: Tomo'Ga'ag= World of Ravens, "Evil" Eyelian villages: Giant Ravens?

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2009, 01:07:37 »

Nybelmarian flying beasts have been referenced alot but sparsely developed in their own rights. Look at this from the Krath Empire entry:

Very odd for an earth-based empire, the first and as far as we know the only aerial forces in Nybelmar were created in the same period [9]. As could be expected, his successors did not share the same keenness for an airborne army. Approaching the subject with the deep-rooted prejudice and suspicion towards anything to do with the skies, the later Karoths abandoned his long-term plans of raising aerial scout, archer and siege units to give Krath the upper-hand in scenarios ppreviously thought unviable. But out of their profound respect for his person (and a widespread superstition that the Emperor would return from the dead to put the gravest curse in history upon whatever short-sighted creature destroyed his invention) none of the successors could wholly disband the troops

Now if that doesnt set up Nybelmarians for some flying mounts, I don't know what does.....

Deci

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 January 2009, 01:09:37 »

Nsiki, Is there really room enough near where the Eyelians mostly live to have two or maybe even three giant birds? I'd think that even the one is already a pretty big strain on the ecosystem, isn't it? Two would just eat away all the wild animals plus possibly the livestock...

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2009, 01:14:48 »

Right- i would have to move them westwards from the Ring, I think the Rimmerins ecosystem is pretty well full.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 January 2009, 01:29:37 »

But west of the ring there is supposed to be a wonderful Brownie haven.....it wouldn't be so heavenly with a huge predator hovering overhead!  And the Brownies would be ever so crunchy and tasty :P.  Hmm, on the other hand it would give them an excellent reason to keep their flying militia running - but that would mean less birds....

The other option is to have them enlarged through life magic - we know it's possible because they have enlarged the Council Tree.  I'm not sure what would happen if you bred two of them though....I'm not convinced that you would get a huge baby straight away.  Which just spurred a conversation on IRC about how changes which are made by life magic are passed on to offspring.  Unfortunately we didn't reach a complete conclusion, we'll have to carry on chatting about it...

Anyway, it would be possible to "make" at least a couple of big birds for your evil Eyelians,  but you might have to persuade a group of Brownie mages to enlarge one....I guess they'd be careful about making huge great big birds!

Edit: I should make that clearer - if you made the birds bigger you wouldn't have to worry so much about fitting them in to the ecosystem as they wouldn't have to support themselves - you'd be feeding them.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2009, 01:36:33 by Rookie Brownbark » Logged

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 11 January 2009, 01:57:32 »

Wait. Evil Eyelians? In what way could they possibly be worse than regular ones? :P

Avrah Kehabhra

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2009, 02:36:59 »

Exiled Eyelians, then Mira, and come on- you know you love us ;)
As for placement, I was thinking we could perhaps have them originate from the nooks and crannies of the West range- not a large population, certainly not large enough to cause a major disturbance, but they would occasional swoop into the Vale, creating quite a kerfuffle. i do like the idea of them being created via life magic... now we just need a corrupt brownie to do so.
A further note about the West Ring- there aren't many Gryphs there, they're predominantly in the North and South, a bit in the East, so the two birds wouldn't cross paths often.

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2009, 02:54:14 »

Me and Irid and whoever else wants to weigh in would have to think about how you would make a whole species bigger, opposed to just one bird.  One bird (or anything else living) is defiantly possible, and making a bird that would have big chicks should also be possible...I'm just not sure how yet.  It shouldn't be easy anyway, and shouldn't be possible without a large number of Brownies, possibly over several generations of the birds. Anyway, if you want to have the birds living wild as well then you have the same problem as before - is there enough space and wildlife for them to eat?  One of those has got to have a huge territory with plenty of big animals to eat  undecided

But sorry Tadius, I'm hijacking your thread - the idea just came to mind because I was talking about life magic at the time and the Eyelians have links with the Llaoihrr Brownie Tribe.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2009, 02:55:57 by Rookie Brownbark » Logged

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2009, 03:03:30 »

See, I'm not thinking a whole species- I'm thinking about 10 to 20. So the environmental impact may not be all that big- 2nd idea- what if they came from North Sarvonia, and the Tomo'Ga'ag got their hands on a few somehow? And then if we have big ravens in the North, big eagles in the center, we could have Tadius' big Falcons in the south, and it all works out!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]