Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: A new proposal!  (Read 14341 times)
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 11 January 2009, 03:10:35 »

.. not even going to start about the impact of a large aerial predator on an ecosystem.

Also, if you only have 10-20, they are going to be extinct in oh.. 200 years?

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 11

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2009, 04:25:19 »

Not if you qualified it with something. Like maybe they are reclusive, only coming into the open for food. Or they could be magically or naturally protected from most common methods of attack, needing a special weapon/method to bring them down. Or they could be highly respected among some cultures for religious/mythical reasons, so that the common man would consider it sacrilege to slay such a magnificent creature.

Come on, Mira, this is fantasy. :P No need to be all that realistic. I know that most of our ecosystems probably aren't balanced, and may never be, since nobody has the god-like knowledge that would require. I think there's elbow room enough for this bird.

That said, I personally think any more gigantic bird additions would fit better in either Nybelmar or Northern Sarvonia, for the reason that we have less developed in those places. The north has lots of large creatures already, and large monsters in several areas. Nybelmar is our exotic continent, so what's more exotic than a giant bird. I think either of those places, preferably both, works fine for this idea.

Though I think Rookie should continue to work on that Life Magic enlargement idea, regardless of what is done with these birds. I thinks that's a fascinating concept.
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 January 2009, 04:36:51 »

.. not even going to start about the impact of a large aerial predator on an ecosystem.

That said, I personally think any more gigantic bird additions would fit better in either Nybelmar or Northern Sarvonia, for the reason that we have less developed in those places.

Thus the fact that they are domesticated imports from N. Sarvonia, sorry if that wasn't clear >_<

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 11

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 January 2009, 04:40:16 »

Excuse my denseness. I failed to notice that detail. Having reread your post, that sounds plausible, and it would make for an interesting story about how they managed to get them.
Jeréth Ancalídormis

Gained Aura: 2

Templar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 January 2009, 12:43:14 »

ouch! my brain hurts... too many thoughts and ideas!

Possibly the first generation of birds were magical enlarged but their chicks (enlarged via the magical growth of the sire) became something more.., natural? perhaps large enough to fly the smaller races; hobbits, gnomes, and possibly dwarves... Say roughly fitting this real (though extinct) bird:

Argentavis

Argentavis magnificens (literally "magnificent Argentine bird") is the largest flying bird ever discovered. This bird, sometimes called the Giant Teratorn, is an extinct species known (as of 2006) from three sites from the late Miocene (6 million years before present) of central and northwestern Argentina, where a good sample of fossils has been obtained.

The humerus (upper arm bone) of Argentavis is somewhat damaged. It allows a fairly accurate estimate of its length in life, which was a bit shorter than an entire human arm. The species apparently had stout, strong legs and large feet which enabled it to walk with ease. The bill was large, rather slender, had a hooked tip with a wide gape.

Physical characteristics
Currently accepted estimates:

Wingspan: 5.8–8 m (19 – 26 ft)
Wing area: nearly 7 m² (75 square ft)
Wing loading: c. 11.5 kg/m²
Length: 3.5 m (11.5 ft)
Height: 1.7–2 m (5.6–6.5 ft)
Weight: 60–80 kg (140–180 lb)

This could be a basis on the birds but I'll let you do what you will with this, its your idea. grin

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 January 2009, 13:07:32 »

Right, works well enough- though at this point, we may no longer need to justify the birds with life magic, so the point may be moot, though still worth discussing, possibly in a non-giant bird related thread ;)

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Mannix
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 January 2009, 13:18:17 »

Seems like a cool idea, but I'm not sure it will work as a mount for the little races. Hobbits wouldn't see the point in flying around this way and that. It would be much to cold and too much effort. I'd guess dwarves wouldn't use it because of the whole living under ground thing. Though, maybe if their tunnels are big enough. That's one for Judy. And as for gnomes, well... I can't see a gnome flying around on a bird. What use would they have? But we have ther shorties don't we *checks* The goblins and mullogs. With the first, they are the same height as Eyelians, so I'd guess the bird would have to be the same size as a gryph to be ridden, and so no much point really. And the mullogs, I'd couldn't really say. They are about hobbit size, but I'm not sure whether they would use a bird like this or not.

Edit: Seems you might not be going with a big bird now. Oh well.

Mannix
« Last Edit: 11 January 2009, 13:21:51 by Mannix » Logged

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Development Schedule ~ The Hobbit Deity Liran ~ Hobbit Beliefs Discussion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 January 2009, 13:22:29 »

Ooooohh... the goblins works- I'm gonna move this proposal to a new thread, hold on, we'll continue.

Jeréth Ancalídormis

Templar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 January 2009, 13:23:24 »

Seems like a cool idea, but I'm not sure it will work as a mount for the little races. Hobbits wouldn't see the point in flying around this way and that. It would be much to cold and too much effort. I'd guess dwarves wouldn't use it because of the whole living under ground thing. Though, maybe if their tunnels are big enough. That's one for Judy. And as for gnomes, well... I can't see a gnome flying around on a bird. What use would they have? But we have ther shorties don't we *checks* The goblins and mullogs. With the first, they are the same height as Eyelians, so I'd guess the bird would have to be the same size as a gryph to be ridden, and so no much point really. And the mullogs, I'd couldn't really say. They are about hobbit size, but I'm not sure whether they would use a bird like this or not.

Mannix

Whether they use it or not isn't the question, it was may way of saying it would be possible, if the writer wanted to go in such a approach. I didn't think hobbits and dwarves would like it very much but sometimes travel isn't as convenient as one would like.

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 January 2009, 13:26:24 »

To steer this topic back on track, you interested in devving some Giant falcons for the south, maybe from Truban through Aerullian?

Jeréth Ancalídormis

Templar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11 January 2009, 13:27:23 »

Little old me?

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 January 2009, 14:13:35 »

No, Tadius, the originator, and proposer of the falcon, Jer >_<

Jeréth Ancalídormis

Templar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 January 2009, 14:15:44 »

Ah!  :D

Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11 January 2009, 18:16:53 »

To steer this topic back on track, you interested in devving some Giant falcons for the south, maybe from Truban through Aerullian?

Aerullian? You mean Aeruillin, right? Or is there an Aerullian that I don't know of? (there isn't btw, the only hit in the search function is a misspelling of Aeruillin in the Ximax entry :P)

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 11 January 2009, 18:57:26 »

I need to update my Rahaz-Dath entry. And add a little to the descriptions of the single parts.

There will be huge Kondor-like black birds on the slopes of the Norong'Sorno, I did not think about how big they will be. Well, Big. They will take care of all the poor travellers of this desert and may well have a territory stretching into Aeruillin. They will have to compete with huge, black bats (up to 4 peds wingspans only though), which will be night active, the birds will look for food at day. The poor black drakes will have a hard live ;)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]