Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What are the phases of the moon?  (Read 3338 times)
Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 11

View Profile
« on: 11 January 2009, 09:13:08 »

Working some more on the Armillary, and am creating several versions of the device that rely on the phases of the moon. What are the Santharian phases of the moon? This would be a nice piece of detail that could be added to my entry.

Does Santharia have different phases than our own world? Could we possibly define this cycle as different than that in our world? T'would be an interesting twist, with the possibility of a cool lunar calendar. Thoughts?
Jeréth Ancalídormis

Gained Aura: 2

Templar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2009, 12:47:30 »

perhaps we could have a lunar calender based of 30 day cycles rather than our current 29.53059 (roughly...) day lunar calender?

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2009, 12:55:22 »

Based on the model, do we have phases?  I was under the impression that the moon was a disk that circled at a perpendicular angle to the disk we live on.  Phases on earth are created by the shadow of the earth on the moon, but not sure how that would work here, as these objects are not spheres.  Unless the disc of the moon fluttered as it moved, thus creating an illusion of phases, and this fluttering was regular.

I need to read the model (yet again).  This stuff goes in my eyes and out my ears I think.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2009, 13:32:02 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Jeréth Ancalídormis

Gained Aura: 2

Templar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2009, 13:29:07 »

grin Lather...Rinse...Repeat... grin

Seems to be a pattern with you.  grin

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2009, 13:54:15 »

http://www.santharia.com/dev/index.php/topic,6054.0.html

I found this thread, which may or may be current views.

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2009, 18:39:35 »

It has fairly normal phases. the moon is a sphere, half luminous, half dark. It revolves around a vertical axis (why vertical? horizontal would be much more fun!) to create the phases.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2009, 19:22:10 »

If you use the search function, you will find two useful links:

This is the beginning of our moon discussion years ago.
The outcome in short:
The moon is a sphere with a luminescent and a dark side and rotates around an axis. It moves on the other side of the disk than the sun.
How this axis is inclined, (our moon has an inclined axis as well and horizontal would be fun, but it could have every angle), how fast it rotates around his axis, how fast it moves over the sky (different from the sun though?) is not defined. I just had not had the time, nor was in the mood to do the calculations when the moon is visible due to his speed.

The model is not actual  anymore, all is free to alter for anybody who wishes to spend a lot of work and time AND then finds a suitable way to bring it up the site.

I gave you all the information I have, but even this is not on the site, so it is open for discussion.

I will not take part in this discussion anymore, I had my share already ;)

Edit: Don't think too much in earthen terms!

The moon could be very fast and run over the night sky twice a night! Ot need a whole year (so it would be visible half a year and half a year not) It could be just one hour quicker than the sun as well (in finishing his orbit)
 It could rotate very fast, so that you have several phases one a night OR it rotates very slow and you have just a cycle of phases in one year!
You can combine these two independent things in the way you like.

I would not incline the plane it moves in away from the vertical position though (standing in a 90 degree angle on the plane of the disk, parallel to that of the sun), that would be too complicated.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2009, 19:37:15 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2009, 19:31:49 »

Actually..... You know Talia, i just might be able to work a lot of the Model info into an entry somehow. But, that will be a long-term goal, not to be initiated before, at the very least, my Promised list is cleared ;) If anyone wants to do it before i cang et to it, please feel welcome!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 11 January 2009, 19:40:08 »

Mira, "my" model is not available anymore, you need to come up with someting at least 'slightly' different. It was a 'longterm' project for me as well, and I had the idea of just using one of the Caelosophs to present it as an idea, but as long as nothing is "safe" from any changing any voting on, why do the work and think over it for a long time if was in vain at last?
« Last Edit: 11 January 2009, 19:42:58 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2009, 19:43:29 »

Aye, i just meanth "the kind of information as to be found in the model", so: theories about spherology, diskology, voidic lore, and so on and so on...

Lets see now.. The "Vikh are excelent sources for moon information, various Dwarves and sailors etc can provide a noble scolar with diskological information, I'll send an emmisary to Aeruillin to ask the Void brownies what they know about the sun, have a few of my apprentices dig through the Encyclopadie Nybelmarnica's libraries in the Old Empires, send a call for help to New Santhala...

*nods* Should work, should work..
« Last Edit: 11 January 2009, 19:46:51 by Miraran Tehuriden » Logged

Avrah Kehabhra

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 11 January 2009, 20:41:22 »

Yeah. That's ok, but I think you should know the "developer's view" first to avoid inconsistencies. But as I seem to be the only one with this opinion, just go ahead  rolleyes

Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 11

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2009, 08:36:02 »

Hey Mira, if you are going to do some work on the phases of the moon, could you tell me some of your ideas. It would be a simple matter to slip some of your concepts into the Armillary Disc entry (you remember, the 2000 year old computer). Is that OK with you?
Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 20 January 2009, 12:44:51 »

Oh Oh I want a fluttering moon!  pet  Pleasepleaseplease can I have a fluttering moon? 

It might only be one tribe's belief, but that is such a cool idea, Altario!   Big Grin

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 January 2009, 12:48:51 »

*gently hand over a very fragile fluttering moon to Grun*  Be very careful.. they tend to be very delicate

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]