Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Incendiary Globe/VII level spell of Ximaxian Fire Magic  (Read 3540 times)
Lorek Sarnif
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 5

Intrepid Scholar

View Profile
« on: 14 January 2009, 01:55:18 »

Overview – Incendiary Globe is a great offensive spell for any mage to study. The main reason is that should the magi need to, this is an excellent spell to lay waste to a horde of enemies. The air around the caster is suddenly heated to near volcanic levels as the light is bent and reflected. The heat is swirled at high speeds by the mage focusing their will to move the gathered Fire ounia in a circular motion. The caster then lets loose this creation of rage in a blazing path of corpses and chaos.

Heavily favoured by battle mages, this spell has shifted the tide of more than one battle in its time on Caelereth. It is used as a means of persuading the enemy to admit inferiority and humble themselves in bloody defeat. The most effective way of using this spell would be to hold back the warriors of one’s army, send the flaming cyclone out to incinerate enemy ranks, and then let forth an army of soldiers to finish the job.

Spell Effect – The immediate area in front of the mage begins to heat. Then without warning a reflective conflagration rivaling the heat of an erupting volcano is suddenly in front of the mage. It is then released in a deadly path with little regard for control. Manipulation is limited to general direction once the spell is finished. As one gains in level, the size of the fiery swirl increases.

Another effect of this spell is that the mage can explode it at will. This sends forth all of the gathered heat in a globe of destructive and mirrior-like inferno. The deafening boom can be heard up to a dash away in every direction and effects an area of near six peds at the inaugural level and nineteen peds at tenth. It gets no larger than the size mentioned for a tenth level mage.

Casting Procedure – The casting of this most deadly spell is done by manipulation of ambient Fire ounia. The mage removes Fire ounia from any nearby car’all and greatly strengthens the properties of heat and animation. The other properties of this element are simply ignored by the caster. Once the heat and animation properties have been influenced to the mage’s liking; they send it forth and watch its deadly path. This devastating spell can be used by higher level magi to take out small armies of enemies.

The mage manipulates the ounia by rearranging their position in the car'all the Fire ounia are being transferred to. The properties of heat are strengthened to the greatest degree the mage can achieve at their level. With the heat being so strong, the light around it becomes bent and the inferno appears as a super-heated travelling mirror. Afterward, the mage shapes the ounia into a whirlwind and influences the animation property to make the incalescent sphere rotate. Though there is no control over the actual movement other than general direction, this spell is still commonly practiced because of its immense power.

The exploding effect is brought forth when the magi focuses their will on scattering the heat as far as possible into the territory of their enemies. The animation property is also key for the movement of this spell. Not only to spin the Fire ounia, also to make it travel. The caster uses the animation property to send the circular blaze forward. Thus, it is absolutely imperative that the mage takes great care to properly influence this property.

When the mage wishes to explode this flaring globe, the heat property is influenced to an even greater degree to create pressure. When the pressure builds high enough, the mage then just releases control and scatters the Fire ounia in every direction.

Magical Formula – Not yet defined.

Target – Enemy ranks, anyone in the spell's path, or any group the mage deems a threat.

Reagents – A vial filled with the mixture of sulfur, oil and silver ground into a fine powder is held up toward the sky. Once the ounia are aligned properly, the mage slams the vial onto the ground.

Magical School – Fire School

Spell Class – Physical representation of Sphere III, Enflamement.

Casting time – This spell takes initiates roughly one and a half minutes to cast properly. At eighth level, it can be finished in only slightly less time. By tenth level, this can be cast in one half of a minute.

Range – The effective range of this spell is fifty peds. Any further and the heat dissipates harmlessly into the air. The igneous whirlwind starts at two peds round and three peds tall. At ninth level, a cyclone of three peds round and five peds tall can be made. A mage of tenth level and higher can create one of these at five peds round and seven peds high, or two of them; each two peds round and four peds tall.  

Duration – This spell lasts until it goes out of range or until two minutes expires. The time duration is because this is usually the longest a mage can sustain this powerful spell without going unconscious, regardless of level.

Counter/Enhancement Measures – For one to counter this spell, distracting the mage is about the best thing you can do. There is a comical story circulated by Ximax teachers to their students that there was once a mage casting this spell and a foe threw a bucket of water on him. Such statements are of course only speculation. However, the students always get a good laugh over the story. As far as enhancement is concerned, a few allies holding lit torches or a bonfire wouldn’t hurt; as these would provide even more fire ounia for the mage to manipulate.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2009, 04:44:30 by Lorek Sarnif » Logged

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2009, 05:45:24 »

Overview – All mages should have at least one offensive spell to keep themselves from harm. If he or she does have only one offensive spell, it should be Infernal Tornado. Oh really? I'm not so sure this is versatile enough to warrant that ;) Some kind of transition here.The air around the mage is suddenly heated to near volcanic levels as the light is bent and reflected. The heat is swirled at high speeds by influencing the property of animation. The caster then lets loose this creation of rage in a blazing path of corpses and chaos.

Heavily favored by battle mages, this spell has put an end to more than one war in its time on Caelereth. Such as.... ?It is used as a means of persuading the enemy to admit inferiority and humble themselves in bloody defeat. The most effective way of using this spell would be to hold back the warriors of one’s army, send the tornado out to incinerate enemy ranks, and then send forth an army of soldiers to finish the job.

Spell Effect – The immediate area in front of the mage begins to heat. Then without warning a reflective conflagration rivaling an exploding star And how the blazes do you know what an exploding star looks like, heretic?in temperature is in front of the mage. It is then unloosed in a deadly path with little control Redundant. Manipulation is limited to general direction once the spell is finished. As one gains in level, the size of the fiery swirl increases.

Casting Procedure – The casting of this most deadly spell is done by manipulation of ambient fire ounia. The mage removes fire ounia from nearby car’all and greatly strengthens the properties of heat and animation. The other properties of this element are simply ignored by the caster. Once the heat and animation properties have been influenced to the mage’s liking, they send it forth watch its deadly path. This devastating spell can be used by higher level magi to take out small armies of enemies.

Target – Enemy ranks.

Reagents – A vial filled with the mixture of phosphorous, oil and silver ground into a fine powder is held up toward the sky. Once the ounia are aligned properly, the mage slams the vial onto the ground. Nice, very evocative.

Magical School – Fire School: Sphere of Enflamement, Sphere III

Spell Class – Physical representation of the School of Ximaxian Fire Magic.

Casting time – This spell takes initiates roughly thirty seconds You mean blinks or summat, don't you? ;)to cast properly. At eighth level, it can be finished in twenty. By tenth level, a mage no longer requires the reagents and can cast it in only a few blinks.

Range – The effective range of this spell is twenty-five peds. Any further and the heat dissipates into the air. The igneous whirlwind starts at two peds round and three peds tall. At ninth level, a tornado of three peds round and five peds tall can be made. A mage of tenth level and higher can create one of five peds round and seven peds high or two of them; each two peds round and four peds tall.

Duration – This spell lasts as long as the mage focuses their will upon keeping the blazing cyclone in existence. How long can one viably do so?

Counter/Enhancement Measures – For one to counter this spell, distracting the mage is about the best thing you can do. There is a comical story circulated by Ximax teachers to their students that there was once a mage casting this spell and a foe threw a bucket of water on him. Such statements are of course only speculation. However, the students always get a good laugh over the story. As far as enhancement is concerned, a few allies holding lit torches or a bonfire wouldn’t hurt; as these would provide even more fire ounia for the mage to manipulate. Nice logic. :)

Overall, a solid entry- don't ask me about magic technicalities though! PM Mina, Fox, or Coren, maybe all three, and Art for help here.

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Lorek Sarnif
Aspiring Member

Intrepid Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2009, 07:54:11 »

All comments integrated. Ready for more. I didn't color changes as they were minor rewordings.

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2009, 08:01:54 »

Well, you also didnt make several of them. First one, right of the bat, which wars did this spell end?

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Lorek Sarnif
Aspiring Member

Intrepid Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2009, 00:12:29 »

I changed wars to battles and I plan on rewording that sentence. Other than that I think I got them all in there. I'll give it another detailed look over when I finish posting for my Santharian version of Chess. Thanks Nsiki. :)

Edit: My boat anchor must've been acting up because I made the changes in Microsoft Word then C&P'd them here. They must not've took. I owe you an apology, I was positive I made your changes.
« Last Edit: 23 January 2009, 01:02:56 by Lorek » Logged

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2009, 02:56:36 »

Its fine, Lorek, no harm, no foul, eh?
Sorry if I came off as a bit harsh :(

Lorek Sarnif
Aspiring Member

Intrepid Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2009, 03:21:36 »

I'm not worried about it. Ava knows I've been less than savory with some of my honesty. Hence a two week ban from the RPG boards. Which I'm treating like a vacation. Gives me some time to get actual work done. ;)

Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 January 2009, 00:59:20 »

Overview – Infernal Tornado is a great offensive spell for any mage to study. I don't claim to be a very good writer, but it feels like after this sentence, you should go on to explain why it is such a great spell to study.   The following is a brief description of how the spell works. This sentence feels a little redundant.  The air around the caster is suddenly heated to near volcanic levels as the light is bent and reflected. The heat is swirled at high speeds by influencing the property of animation. The caster then lets loose this creation of rage in a blazing path of corpses and chaos.

Heavily favored by battle mages, this spell has shifted the tide of more than one battle in its time on Caelereth. It is used as a means of persuading the enemy to admit inferiority and humble themselves in bloody defeat. The most effective way of using this spell would be to hold back the warriors of one’s army, send the flaming cyclone out to incinerate enemy ranks, and then let forth an army of cavalry soldiers to finish the job.

Spell Effect – The immediate area in front of the mage begins to heat. Then without warning; a reflective conflagration rivaling the heat of an exploding star is in front of the mage. As Nsiki pointed out, the comparison doesn't really make sense.  I'm not sure if stars in Caelereth can even explode, but I doubt it.  It is then released in a deadly path with little regard for control. Manipulation is limited to general direction once the spell is finished. As one gains in level, the size of the fiery swirl increases.

Casting Procedure – The casting of this most deadly spell is done by manipulation of ambient Fire ounia. The mage removes Fire ounia from nearby car’all and greatly strengthens the properties of heat and animation. The other properties of this element are simply ignored by the caster. Once the heat and animation properties have been influenced to the mage’s liking, they send it forth watch its deadly path. This devastating spell can be used by higher level magi to take out small armies of enemies.

I think more technical details regarding how the spell works are needed.  Eg. how does the mage manipulate the ounia to manifest the flames, and how and/or why it takes the form of a tornado, and not something else? 

Target – Enemy ranks.   More details here to flesh things out would be nice, although this is technically enough. 

Reagents – A vial filled with the mixture of phosphorous, oil and silver ground into a fine powder is held up toward the sky. Once the ounia are aligned properly, the mage slams the vial onto the ground.  I'm not sure phosphorus exists in Caelereth.  A search found only one mention, in a very old entry, and it doesn't seem to be in the table of elements in the misc forum either.  Maybe you could check with Bard Judith or someone more familiar with it?   

Magical School – Fire School: Sphere of Enflamement, Sphere III

Spell Class – Physical representation of Sphere III, Inflamement

Casting time – This spell takes initiates roughly half a minute to cast properly. At eighth level, it can be finished in slightly less time. By tenth level, a mage no longer requires the reagents and can cast it in only a few blinks.   

Range – The effective range of this spell is twenty-five peds. Any further and the heat dissipates into the air. The igneous whirlwind starts at two peds round and three peds tall. At ninth level, a cyclone of three peds round and five peds tall can be made. A mage of tenth level and higher can create one of these at five peds round and seven peds high, or two of them; each two peds round and four peds tall.  I don't know if this is the right section to describe the size of the tornado, but I guess it can stay.  More important, I think, is how this scales with the casting time.  Bigger effects should take more time to cast, and vice versa, though how powerful the caster is and how familiar they are with the spell would affect things too.  Maybe you could add some details regarding this. 

Duration – This spell lasts until it goes out of range or until two minutes expires.  Why two minutes specifically?  From the above posts, I'm guessing that's about as long as a mage can usually sustain it.  If that's the case, you should mention it here. 

Counter/Enhancement Measures – For one to counter this spell, distracting the mage is about the best thing you can do. There is a comical story circulated by Ximax teachers to their students that there was once a mage casting this spell and a foe threw a bucket of water on him. Such statements are of course only speculation. However, the students always get a good laugh over the story. As far as enhancement is concerned, a few allies holding lit torches or a bonfire wouldn’t hurt, as these would provide even more Fire ounia for the mage to manipulate.

Lorek Sarnif
Aspiring Member

Intrepid Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 January 2009, 05:47:47 »

I believe all of your comments have been integrated, Lady Mina. More when you get the time would be much appreciated. :) Thanks for your time.

Alek I'vajan

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2009, 05:34:00 »

You may wanna reword that. It took me a sec but I caught it and burst out laughing. Sorry, no offense.

Infernal Tornado is a great offensive spell for any mage to study, reason being is that it is a great offensive spell.
Lorek Sarnif
Aspiring Member

Intrepid Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2009, 06:25:42 »

*Spits coffee everywhere and explodes with laughter.* Oh my gosh! Thanks, Alek. Oy!!

Edit: Announcing a possible name change to either Globe of Destruction or Blazing Cyclone. Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: 27 January 2009, 07:32:51 by Lorek Sarnif » Logged

Lorek Sarnif
Aspiring Member

Intrepid Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2009, 04:46:07 »

Bump.

Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 August 2009, 07:20:48 »

Overview – Incendiary Globe is a great offensive spell for any mage to study. This seems to be an oxymoron of sorts to me since it requires a HUUUGGGEE amount of training and dedication in order for a mage to be able to grasp the concepts required to employ this spell.  As such, the number of magi able to learn it would be extremely small The main reason is that should the magi need to, this is an excellent spell to lay waste to a horde of enemies. The air around the caster is suddenly heated to near volcanic levels as the light is bent and reflectedHm…this just doesn’t seem right to me.  I don’t understand why you need to manipulate light in order for this spell to work.  Since this spell is all about carnage and death, and uses the property of heat to do so, why even mention light?  Heat is a property of fire and therefore is under the control of the mage.  Also, I’m not entirely sure about this, but to me, from a Ximaxian perspective heat and light would be two independent properties.  While we know that light causes heat in the real world, I believe a Ximaxian mage would say the only connection between the two is that since they are both properties of fire, wherever one resides, it is possible to create the other by altering the fire ounia to express both properties.. The heat is swirled at high speeds by the mage focusing their will to move the gathered Fire ounia in a circular motion Its not the heat that is being swirled, it would be the Fire ounia.  Also, the way you have this described, I don’t see how this is any different then Fireball.  In order to make a distinction between the two, I think it would make sense to explain how while Fireball is a small, concentrated sphere of fire ounia, like an orange or a ball, this spell creates more of a donut shape as it is being prepared, with the caster being in the donut hole.  If I am misunderstanding the shape ideas, let me know The caster then lets loose this creation of rage in a blazing path of corpses and chaos.

Heavily favoured by battle mages, this spell has shifted the tide of more than one battle in its time on Caelereth. It is used as a means of persuading the enemy to admit inferiority and humble themselves in bloody defeat ??? I thought it was used as a way of making hundreds of people explode.  I don’t think it’s a matter of inferiority…though a spell that could do just that would be quite interesting.... The most effective way of using this spell would be to hold back the warriors of one’s army, send the flaming cyclone out to incinerate enemy ranks, and then let forth an army of soldiers to finish the job.    This whole paragraph is confusing me.  After reading the first paragraph, I had a pretty good idea of what the spell was all about, but in here, you add a bunch of disconnected ideas.  I would suggest either removing the paragraph entirely or attempting to re-work it so that it flows more smoothly and so that the concepts you introduce work into the idea initially portrayed

Spell Effect – The immediate area in front of the mage begins to heat. Then without warning a reflective conflagration I think you mixed up your words a little bit here.  “a reflective conflagration” doesn’t describe what I believe you intended rivaling the heat of an erupting volcano is suddenly in front of the mageNot all around?. It is then released in a deadly path with little regard for control This is foolish.  With no regard for control you are as likely to kill yourself or your allies as you are an enemy.  Also, simply releasing control would cause the effect to rapidly dissipate I believe.  I know with spells such as the creation of an earthquake, the releasing of the ounia back into their original state causes the effect because the “snapping back” into their original position causes the ground to quiver.  I don’t this that principle can be applied here, however.  In Sphere III, you have, in a sense, drawn the ounia out of their original sources and then manipulated them to fit a new purpose.  By releasing them, the ounia would in a sense “wander off” and assimilate themselves back into the car’all.. Manipulation is limited to general direction once the spell is finished. As one gains in level, the size of the fiery swirl increases. See above.  Also, I think with increase of size would also come an increase of control of the spell’s direction and potency, both of which could be very useful for the mage

Another effect of this spell is that the mage can explode it at will. This sends forth all of the gathered heat in a globe of destructive and mirrior-like inferno. The deafening boom can be heard up to a dash away in every direction and effects an area of near six peds at the inaugural level and nineteen peds at tenth. It gets no larger than the size mentioned for a tenth level mage. *blink* Uh…yeah.  Not only would this be a completely different spell, but I’m not sure if this is even possible save for at the Archmage level or with the Archschools

Casting Procedure – The casting of this most deadly spell is done by manipulation of ambient Fire ounia. The mage removes Fire ounia from any nearby car’all You can’t remove an ounia from The Car’all, only the car’all of surrounding objects and organisms and greatly strengthens the properties of heat and animation. The other properties of this element are simply ignored by the casterThis contradicts what you said above and is also foolish for the mage.  Simply ignoring properties could have disastrous effects.  Also, I’m a little shaky about the plausibility of this.  Perhaps Mina could take a look over this a well to see if it makes sense to him. Once the heat and animation properties have been influenced to the mage’s liking; they send it forth and watch its deadly path.[/color=orange]See comments above[/color] This devastating spell can be used by higher level magi to take out small armies of enemies. Higher level magi?  Once you reach level 7 you can’t get much higher.  Also, the amount of fire ounia required to “take out small armies” would be enormous and would have huge effects on everything in the vicinity of the spell outside of the burning and destruction

I need to head out, so I am going to leave this here for now.  I’ll finish this check later.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]