Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Messy-haired young man  (Read 1689 times)
Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« on: 18 January 2009, 08:29:38 »

Hi guys,

One of the many and varied reasons I am not around as much as I used to be is my tablet mouse.  One of my more recent attempts has turned out quite well.  Anyone have a use for it?

It is more or less finished, though I am happy to tidy it up a bit, or work on a background or body for him if it is so desired (though this part took me something like 14 hours over a month, so be aware I don't work fast!)

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2009, 09:08:36 »

Bravo, Grun!

I love my tablet to the point of addiction.  Sometimes I even use it to play games instead of using my mouse cos it's such a nice control system....

If you'd like a bit of constructive critique:   tidy up the left side of the picture (right side of his face, in the shadows), where there are unsharp lines and smudging.  Do the opposite on the hair - use a very low-level smudge or smooth to blend the individual lines into something a bit softer for more convincing waves.

The face is expressive and catches a boyish character quite effectively - alertness and enthusiasm - even the tousled hair contributing to that effect!   The chin is a bit strong / long, and distorts the face somewhat - I think you'll find that if you crop it in a triangle, move it up about a centimeter, and blend it back in, you'll get an even more effective youthful shape.  Love the colours and the modeling of the face - very painterly effect on the nose and mouth, for example.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2009, 11:10:52 »

Thanks Judy!  Thanks for the critique too, though unless it doesn't fit whatever use might be found for it, I will leave the chin as is.  It is acutally a painting based on a friend of mine, and that is about the only part of him which made it into the final iteration!  lol

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2009, 11:13:18 »

Perhaps widening the neck would offset the chin?
i do like the picture, though Grun, we'll have to find a use for it soon!

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Mannix
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2009, 11:28:27 »

Woah, I had no idea you were an artist, Grun. I agree with Nsiki, the neck seems a bit narrow right now. Aren't necks about the same width as your head? That is what I always thought. Oh, and if you do widen the neck he might make a fine hobbitling. Maybe a little pudgy-fying of his cheeks and a rounder face and he'd be perfect. Or if the cheeks would be too hard to fatten up then he could be older, say close to coming of age. That way he would of lost a lot of baby fat but yet to again more of it in later life. I'd just have to find an entry for him. Of course, if you think there is a better use for him, by all means use him there. :)

Mannix

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Development Schedule ~ The Hobbit Deity Liran ~ Hobbit Beliefs Discussion
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2009, 12:16:20 »

And of course Art might be able to use him in Santhworld as well, you know, as a person in Nepris such as a shop attendant, an apprentice (maybe even Jeremy, because the only picture we have for him shows him imprisoned behind a door and you can't really see his face)  So I'm sure there could be some options there, too.

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2009, 13:48:54 »

Thanks guys!  I also drew Alysse's Gnarco toad, Mannix, and Pikel's Yarg character portrait - you should be able to see the resemblance in style.  I have about eight other pictures in the works including an old lady, a male Losh-Oc, and a wealthy young man.

@Art:  Perhaps we could start a resources thread for me?  That way as more of my stuff gets finished, it can at least have a place to sit if it's not immediately used.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2009, 16:46:23 »

Yeah, I'd love to make a Resources thread for you, Grun, will do so soon :) Let's hope it fills over time! And hearing that you're working on a bunch of more is great as well!  grin

This one looks pretty cool, Grun! Only thing I'd recommend is to show at least a bit of the shoulders, cause the head part alone is a it unsual. Typical portraits always are head and shoulders, full body shouldn't be required. And as Alysse says, if we don't have a celebrity that a picture may depict, then we can always use it in Santhworld. In Nepris, or even in the Lorehold, where we still have unillustrated characters like students the like, e.g. Charlos.

@Alysse: I have to correct you here on Jeremy though, because you actually do see his full portrait once he's freed. Yery briefly only, admittedly, cause the game ends at this point, but he'll play a part it the continuation down there in the lab - with his portrait. :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2009, 21:31:17 »

Ooops, that's right, Art.  Sorry!

But I'm sure we can find a place for him somewhere, perhaps as Charlos, or a customer in the inn--something like that.  You might not even need to make a background, Grunok, as I'm sure we have brick walls we could put behind him, etc.

Alysse the Likely
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]