Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Gondolwenmith ("the Practical Krean") - Concept sketch  (Read 4719 times)
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« on: 03 February 2009, 08:21:02 »

Back to finishing the entries I started a long time ago. Following on from the proposal in the Construction Site. Brainstorming stage, so ideas appreciated! :D

@Rookie: Okay, this is where those sea-faring brownies are going to be integrated into ;)

Guess who is not going to be getting up at 5am tomorrow... ;)

GONDOLWENMITH

Overview
After the Year of Darkness (1649 BS), many among the Ancient Krean who survived the cataclysm left their lands, disillusioned with their homeland and in search of a new life elsewhere. Some from this Great Exodus settled on the eastern coasts of the Ivieth Mountains, modeling their new state after the principles of Gondolwen Madas Mith (EASTER EGG!), the celebrated Merchant-King of the Ancient Krean. Lovers of order, logic and discipline; stern and pragmatic, the Gondolwenmith became known as “the Practical Krean”. As centuries dissolved into one another like waves into the ocean, they emerged as great traders, shipwrights and bridge-builders. Relative to the size of their small state they have a disproportionately large fleet - the fourth largest in Nybelmar after that of Aca Santerra, Korweyn and R’unor, surpassing that of the Anpagan Republic.

Masters of transportation and commerce, the Gondolwenmith have colonies in strategic locations all across the northern half of the continent, vying with the R’unorians over the corn chamber of Loreney. They maintain a close alliance with other Krean tribes and the mages of Nybelriod; and possess an economic influence far beyond the borders of their own territories. Master manufacturers of textiles, porcelain and furniture, the Gondolwenmith are also renowned smiths in northern Nybelmar.

Among the achievements of the tribe one can list the creation of Lex Mercatoria and maritime law; the founding of their capitol, the fortified city of Caradruith; their unique ship-designs; and the construction of the many bridges and aqueducts crowning their land.

Names
Origins
These people take their name from the celebrated Ancient Krean king, Gondolwen Madas Mith, who is viewed as the ideological father of their tribe. Incidentally, “mith” is also the suffix form of “mithreas” – meaning “student of”.

Alternative Names
Gondolwenmith has in common speech been eroded to Gondolwenith, and eventually to Gondolith. Gondolwain is also frequently heard, the suffix “wain” standing for “citizens of”.

(remove)
Linguists point out that the name is not devoid of meaning, quite independent from the reference to the famed ruler: “Wen” means “son of” and is usually appended to place names, in which case it stands for “comes from: e.g. “Sihitarawen” or “Rhaastharwen”. So for example “Dearan Asaen Sihitarawen” (Dearan, of House Asaen of Sihitara) or in the case of a well-known family whose branches have spread to various cities: “Dearan Sihitarawen Asaen” (Dearan of the Sihitaran Asaen). “Mith” is not only the king’s surname but also the suffix form of “mithreas” (student or descendant of): e.g. Dearanmith (descendent of Dearan). Ergo, the name Gondolwenmith reads as “Descendents of the Son of Gondol”.

GEOGRAPHY

Territory
The Gondolith mainland extends from Cloud Cape at its northwestern-most point through the skerries of the northern shore and traces the idyllic coastline of Ivieth as far south as the delta of the Great River Vaenar. Across the Bay of Gondol it encompasses the peninsula of Qimueh, stopping short of the [Lorenite?] city of Lahssar. The capitol is the fortified city of Caradruith.

The Gondolwain have established colonies in strategic locations all across the northern half of Nybelmar. Usually, these represent a string of small, fortified settlements securing a foothold for the Goldolwain in otherwise inhospitable regions or serving as markets in their trade network. These seaports, especially in the east and northeast, teem with merchants from neighbouring states as the Gondolith do not impose levies on sales and offer a very favourable tax regime for money stored in their Vaults. This has generated a lot of friction – often culminating in great naval battles - between the Gondolwenmith and other Nybelmarian powers who were not pleased with all the trade gravitating toward these small harbours, draining the lifeblood of their own major commercial centres. The most notable (furious?) among the Gondolwain’s “sparring partners” as the R’unorians call them are the Sceptres of Tarshiin [Deci?] and the High Kingdom of Aca-Santerra.

From west to east, the first of these colonies is the Isle of Númen Andúnië or Númen Anduinië (pronounced NOO-men Ahn-DOO-knee-eh and NOO-men Ahn-duEE-knee-eh; the circumflex accent denotes a long vowel) which lies between Mist, the Sceptres of Tarshiin and the Trumarim Dwarves in the Western Bay. Then comes the petite isle of Caras, nestled halfway between the Drifting Woods and Essalui Thareliath, to the north of the Plains of Kaerath. Roughly midway between the southern landmass of Essalui Thareliath and the Gondolith mainland, to the northeast of the Port of Nór, drift two islands; Ankalas (the “a”s pronounced as in “cart”) is the larger of the two. The Gondolwain have also managed to carve out from the Lorenite realm the Delta of Areírien (aka Árenbar or Árienbad; pronounced A-reh-EEE-ree-ehn, AAA-rehn-bar, and AAA-ryehn-bahd respectively). The outposts of the Gondolith in the east are too many to list here; the reader is encouraged to consult the Compendium’s maps. The most noteworthy among these are the Cape of Mifreas to the north of the Ulinoth Plains and the citadel, to the west of the Ehebion Peninsula, known as the Pride of Gondol - a nuisance to the Aca-Santerran fleet.

Environment (Mainland)
Most of the Gondolith mainland is well-forested with a carpet of maquis and evergreen woodlands leading to the soft sands and azure waters of the many coves hidden along the coastline. A notable exception is the Vaenar delta to the south, where the trees gave way long ago to ordered, well-cultivated cotton plantations.

All along the coastline lie long, narrow inlets of sea between steep cliffs, penetrating into the mountains and their valleys. These inlets are appreciably deeper and colder than the adjacent sea, their waters cooled by the icy currents of the mountain rivers feeding them. The reefs along the bottoms of the inlets abound in marine life, which is perhaps why the Gondolwain coastline, especially its northern shore, is such a generous fishing ground. These inlets provide much needed waterways for passage and ferrying between the quarries deep in the Ivieth Mountains and the coastal towns and ports. During the winter months, however, strong tidal currents and wide saltwater rapids occur at the mouths of these inlets – a menace to navigation. Set against snowcapped peaks, these inlets offer majestic views, especially amidst the much taller slopes of the northern shore, carving a smooth, serpentine waterway through the mountains. The air of these inlets carries the sharp, refreshing scent of the lemon blossoms dotting their slopes; a school of fish causing the occasional ripple here and there only heightens the silence ruling these aquatic valleys.

Thousands of island blocks parallel the northern coast, between Cape Cloud and the Port of Nor, and provide a protected channel for commerce behind an almost unbroken string of mountainous islands and skerries, sheltering Gondolwain transports from the treacherous weather conditions of the open sea. Hundreds of bridges, tall and proud, each a monument to the power and ingenuity of the Gondolwain, span the skerries, linking the islands and connecting them to the mainland. The taller summits amidst the northern skerries are crowned with fortresses and catapults, guarding the Gondolith homeland against the fleets of other Nybelmarian powers and rendering the skerry-protected passage behind unassailable.

Rainwater and snowmelt collect in the mountaintops of Ivieth, forming tiny streams. These gullies either grow larger as they collect more water or add to the water of the larger streams they meet along their descent towards the shore. Countless tributary streams all across the realm of the Gondolwain merge, forming rivers in the higher elevations of the mountains and hills; and the rivers grow larger as they accumulate more water from more tributaries. The great rivers of Daeinion Ivieth carve deep V-shaped valleys as their fast-moving water cuts away at the rock on its downhill surge. The vigorous current picks up pieces of rock and conducts them downstream, breaking them into smaller and smaller pieces of sediment. Leaving the high elevation of the mountains and entering the flat plains, the rivers slow down and begin to saunter towards the level landscape of the coastline, giving the sediment a chance to fall to the river bottom and be deposited along with the rocks and pebbles worn smooth in the rivers’ long journey. Thus, the Gondolwain say, rivers not just flow; they change the surface of the Disk. But amidst the many waterways of Gondolwenmith, only the Great Vaenar achieves the ultimate goal of the river: to create a wide, flat valley where it can flow smoothly towards the sea.

Geography determines culture, and so does the geography of agriculture determine land use: Dairying and intensive farming of perishable vegetables and fruits take place in the fields close to the settlements as these products must get to market quickly - the chilled oxcarts of the Dearanic Age no longer being a luxury Nybelmarian mages can replicate. Since grains last longer than dairy products and are much lighter than the timber and firewood used for fuel, thereby reducing transport costs, they can be located further from the Gondolith cities, often imported from the “corn-chamber” of Loreney to the northeast or from the Sartheran elves to the southwest; the Vaenar delta attends to the much more lucrative demands of the textile industry.

The sea causes numerous indentations in the land, creating picturesque coves and lagoons on the eastern coastline all the way from the Port of Nor to the River Vaenar, with merchant ships taking refuge in their calm waters or the private vessels of the wealthier Gondolwain anchored a few dashes from the coast - tied perhaps to a solid pine tree onshore, enjoying these idyllic sanctuaries. Indeed, the entire Gondolith shoreline pullulates into countless bays, ports and shelter creeks.

The sheltered geography as well as the thermal underwater springs induces a climate very much like that of the Plains of Zhun, slightly milder perhaps than one would expect from the higher latitude of the region. The sea surface temperature, for instance, ranges from about 1.6 to 2.5 periks throughout the year, which is warmer than the bay between Faen and the Aesteran coastal city-states to the west. All these factors have led to the region being called “the Zhun of the North” by the southern civilizations of the continent. Again, like the Sea of Zyloth, the currents of the Bay of Gondol are not smooth in light of either speed or direction, influenced as they are by the blowing winds. However, due to its relative limpidity and hot waters, the Bay of Gondol accommodates large quantities and a broad variety of fish at the time of their procreating maturity, immigrating from the harsher Maren Nybeth and Marein Nermarein.

The realm of the Gondolwain is rich in waterfalls, which grow taller and more striking towards the north, adding yet another treasure to the scenic landscape. Ships sailing towards the Gondolith mainland will be quick to spot the great aqueducts carrying the water of its many streams and waterfalls, bringing order and prosperity to a difficult region which no other tribe on Nybelmar had hitherto dared to master.

Natural Resources
- fish. Check: what else can one get from reefs?
- lemon
- quarries so lots of stone and ores; white stone, iron?
- thermal/mineral springs
- timber, resin etc

[...]
« Last Edit: 07 February 2009, 03:33:31 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2009, 08:22:51 »

Erh, damn I forgot the maps... Miraran, can I ask a favour? Is there anyway to put those maps just above the "territory" section instead of at the bottom of the post? Thanks!

I'm so lousy with these technical aspects...

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2009, 08:27:25 »

I am proud of all the names I invented this time! They can actually be pronounced! Amazing! AND, if I am allowed to say so, there is a rather nice ring to most of them. A lot of easter-eggs there as well ;P

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2009, 15:52:23 »

Ha, I got the easteregg! My not-British background was no hindrance this time!

Mithreas, Mithras, Mitra ---> patron of contracts , early meaning and contract and friend

When using 'wain' you could have thought of 'vain' --->  dealing with money is not necessarily good for your soul, so 'in vain'??

Gondolin --> Middle Earth? (legolas of Gondolin :) )

otherwise still reading
« Last Edit: 03 February 2009, 16:08:27 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2009, 17:51:07 »

Ah, I actually hadn't thought of number 2 & 3 - but let us keep that a secret! ;) I did not know Legolas was from Gondolin btw! Gondor -- Gondol ;)

PS: There are several more eastereggs left!
« Last Edit: 03 February 2009, 17:52:51 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2009, 21:27:35 »

I have some really exciting ideas for the Brownies! More to come around lunch time!

Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2009, 21:28:39 »

Two things from Deci's side:

@Scepteres of Tarshiin: The Tarshiinites would be very annoyed (to say the least) with anyone even being in the Western Bay waters, let alone threatening their trading fleets. Culturally though, I would see the inventiveness and ingenuity of the Gondolwenmith and Tarshiinites as a commonground between them- making them good allies. The waters mentioned were 'conquered' by the Ancient Tiquaitan (*points to entry that needs comments*) and the Tiquaitan were in turn conquered by the Tarshiinites (the wars ended in the Y.O.D). As with most of the territories they seized, the Tarshiinites are probably more territoral of the waters than anything else (since it poses a threat to the traditional coastal industries).

However, I think the Tarshiinites would have employed a variety of a 'tricks' since they would not be able to fully overpower the sea-faring empire that the Gondolwenmith command. Things like 'renting out' their seas, or demanding significant cuts of profits made in the areas etc.

@Isle of Númen Andúnië: This was also colonised by the Tiquaitan long before the Y.O.D but was the only thing that the Tarshiinites didn't take after their wars with the Republic. Basically, I wanted to hint at the idea that a handful (no more than 10-20) of Tiquaitan managed to live there and had done since the War ended. They would of become much 'higher' beings as it were.. It was my intention to make the Island laden with various flora and fauna that could be used in the Tiquaitan medicine practices. As a result, they would start advancing their medicine so that they can live for 400-600 years at a time. However, with the collapse of the Republic they live in a very enclosed fear and would be likely to either fight any one who came onto the Island unexpectedly or hide from them and conceal their presence (probably to try and attack them later).

While I don't reject that the Gondolwenmith could have a colony on there, I think you and I may need to discuss how these two things could coexist peacefully and productively.

Other than that, I still love the idea and the character you've given to these people.

Nice work,

Deci

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2009, 23:20:44 »

'corn-chamber' for 'bread-basket'?  :)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2009, 00:11:10 »

LOL, Judith, it is "Kornkammer" in German!

Does this tell us something? Like the British think smaller (bread-basket) instead of thinking of a full room of grain?  *laughs*

Coren, did not have the time to finish reading..

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2009, 07:21:27 »

In theory that is possible coren, but they need to be available online for that. Right now they are attachments to the post, files directly uploaded to the topic, and those are locke din place. If you have an image url ou can just insert that much like a regular clicky.. I believe Talia knows how to upload things, as does, of course, Artimidor.

Maps are once again added to your main topic Coren.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2009, 07:25:52 by Miraran Tehuriden » Logged

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 March 2009, 18:38:05 »

This has generated a lot of friction – often culminating in great naval battles - between the Gondolwenmith and other Nybelmarian powers

I had already had in mind a 'Gondolwain VS. Tarshiin' Naval warfare since you mentioned their tendency to 'drift' into other people's territory. I think the match of Gondolwenmith numbers and Tarshiinite technology could have some interesting outcomes. Plus, this would make sense- The Tarshiinites (particularly the priesthood that leads them) are a fiercely territorial bunch.

Just throwing that out there,

Deci

Coren: (1) Re naval warfare: sounds good!

(2) Btw Deci, I forgot to PM you earlier, but I am ok with the idea of having
-Mira: hidden this text to preserve Decipher's obnoxious little marmaran secrets. Use the edit button to see it!
« Last Edit: 28 June 2009, 23:15:12 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 March 2009, 21:16:58 »

That is a very clever way to hide text Mira! Never occurred to me!

Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 01 March 2009, 21:17:53 »

Realy? I do it all the time if i work on an entry i want to keep hidden untill it is complete :)

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 March 2009, 21:18:22 »

EDIT: Maybe I should use that to write entries that appear, on the surface, to be 0.5 Corens and sudden expand upon upload-preparation like sponges immersed in water!

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 March 2009, 21:18:55 »

Thanks for the idea ;)

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]