Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Another shot at the orc tribe pic  (Read 20390 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 05 February 2009, 03:57:37 »

On that tree thingy: Well, the tree doesn't need to be "normal sized" as you put it, Faugar... If you imagine that an orc child sits on it, and it is placed next to a full grown orc, it could as well work and get a cool effect across ;)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 February 2009, 04:57:10 »

Hey Faugar. I've found a few things in the Rhom-oc entry which may be of use to you.

The Rhom-Oc are smaller than other known orc tribes and appear weaker in stature.
(Your chap seems to be anything but weak in stature!)

Most Rhom-Oc wear decoration made of bones and teeth from their prey. Their long hair is worn open or in long braids over their shoulders to give some protection from the cold.

The Rhom-Oc clothe in leather and fur. Most of them wear sturdy leather trousers and leather shirts for riding and fur jackets or vests to protect from the cold. In winter another wide fur coat is wrapped around the body. The warrior use straps of wolf, bear or warg fur attached to their clothing to mark their alignment to these particular beasts.
(I like the idea of a belt made from the tails of reindeer. Any good?)

The Rhom-Oc's feet stand in high fur boots that are fixed to the leg with leather straps to connect smoothly with the trousers and prevent the wind from blowing into the clothes.

Rhom-Oc also wear all kinds of talismans, amulets or necklaces made of bones or teeth for spiritual protection or help.

Apart from that, the only other snippet I could see being of interest to you for this image is that the extreme northern boundary of their territory is the Galthorn Mountains. This could explain the snowy looking background.

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 05 February 2009, 05:11:34 »

Thanks a lot Tharoc, useful info!

Ok, here are 2 version of a sketch, using the fallen tree. What do you think?
« Last Edit: 05 February 2009, 07:07:06 by Faugar » Logged
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 February 2009, 07:57:36 »

Oh, that's good - that's very good. Maybe just bring in the jaw a little bit, firm up those paws, and give the Orc some kind of bow/javelin. Other then that, I like it :)

Note- I prefer the second version.

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 February 2009, 11:17:54 »

I prefer the second one as well.. assuming the second one has his right hand on his thigh.

I like that the other orc pic is of a Rhom-oc.  It gives me a better picture of whom the Remusians are constantly er... interacting with.

And Tharoc, I still woul;d like to hash out some general notes for our two cultures history together.  When you have time, of course. :)

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 05 February 2009, 14:54:21 »

I completely love it!  (number two, the one titled 'copy')

The composition is classically Faugarian, with strong, solid lines leading the eye.    A great stance from the hunter, and the warg is somehow both powerful and endearing. 

Might I suggest that just the hint of a small cowering animal hiding in the hollow end of the tree would give the picture a great deal of humour?   The proud orc and the suspiciously alert warg, oblivious to humble 'prey'...   perhaps that third element would pull the triangle out more strongly and add to the characterization.  Just my two sans!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Faugar
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 05 February 2009, 16:20:02 »

Thaniks!

Nsiki - when you say "bring in the jaw" - what do you mean? I'm not sure about javelins or bows.. seem like a coward's weapons to me ;)

Altario - THIS is supposed to be a Rhom-oc orc as well, not sure if that's what you ment?

Judy - the idea with a small creature hiding in the tree was originally planned (that's why it's hollow). Great minnds think alike, eh? :)
Smee
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 February 2009, 19:06:00 »

Impressive... very nicely come together. I think we'll be hearing some squeaks of delight (albeit very manly ones) from Tharoc when he sees these.

:)

"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own satanic herd!"
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 February 2009, 22:28:35 »

Well, I'M squeaking with delight! (but not particularly in a manly way, I'm afraid  :D)

I love this picture, and the idea of a little leveret or greycat huddled in the log is great! (not to mention usable in another entry, perhaps, as neither of those have a picture yet)

I have to agree with Nsiki, that the jaw is a bit too heavy.  He looks rather like a Neanderthal "Missing Link".  But if you just bring it back a bit, and make the chin smaller, it should work fine.  The second pose is really good, I like it too.  thumbup thumbup

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 February 2009, 00:46:31 »

squeek, squeek.......Ahemmm........HUmmmmm......SQUUEEK SQUUEEK.

Tharoc like Faugar drawin's. A lot. Tharoc hug Faugar..........where he go?

I'm going to be awkward here, and say that I like the Warg in the second pic, and the Orc's pose in the first pic. It looks like he has been hunting all day, and is getting slightly weary.

I agree about the chin thing as well. A bit to 'Don Corleone' at the moment, methinks ;)

I also agree that a small prey animal inside the log would be an ideal and amusing way of extending the triangle. For extra amusement, perhaps make it just a pair of worried eyes peering out of the darkness?

Right, I'm off to the bar to buy Faugar a large beer for adding so magnificently to our Orc pics collection.
(Just thought. This could be out of Tharoc's holiday album, labelled "Cousin Trog, posing as usual!") grin

Use the force, Luke.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 06 February 2009, 05:25:20 »

Yeah, I like it as well! That tree just gives the whole thing a new perspective which is quite unique - and the poses of warg and orc fit perfectly :D - The first warg is a bit small, the second one is pretty fine as far as I'm concerned. But of course you need to listen to our orcish experts mainly, but this looks really good to me!  thumbup

Oh, and add to that a smaller animal that's hiding from orc and warg, a bit of an epic scenary in the background and it will look perfect! clap

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Faugar
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 06 February 2009, 05:37:54 »

all right! now we need to decide which version of the orc (everybody voted for the second Warg). I must admit that I'm having a hard time myself. I'm not sure which pose would suit the character of the tribe better.

What about the background/scenery and folliage? what kind of plants can I put in there?
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 06 February 2009, 05:38:56 »

I al soooo tempted to 'shop Arts head into the end of that log right now evil

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 February 2009, 05:52:54 »

Well, Alysse and Tharoc said it better then I did, so listen to them ;)
The first pose seems more natural, the second stronger, so it really dpends on what you want to accomplish.

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 February 2009, 05:56:37 »

My vote is for the first Orc. And I'm the Orc guy, so I win by default! :P

Use the force, Luke.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]