Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Another shot at the orc tribe pic  (Read 20391 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 23 June 2009, 01:40:57 »

I like the log.  Wood doesn't always rot at the same rate, and the near side of the log could have just rotted a bit quicker at each end.  Kind of like taking a sausage and cutting it on the diagonal at both ends so the one side is shorter than the other.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #46 on: 23 June 2009, 03:00:27 »

It has been such a long time since you posted your last picture that I already forgot what was originally intended, Faugar... Especially as it takes so long between two versions and they're always different.  shocked From the artistical point of view it looks already pretty good - if the size is reduced a bit the brush strokes are also not that visible as in the enlarged version. Also the log, although the two hole thingy still could be fixed a bit, looks pretty good. Didn't we plan a little critter in there somewhere?

Anyway, back to the main issue: From what I gather this one should be a Rhom-Oc, isn't it? And from what I read they are meant to be considerably smaller than other orcs. I guess this isn't the case here. He looks pretty tall to me. Also, he appears to be strongly on the human side, and I guess we've already got a picture of an orc tribe that is closer to humans, which you did, Faugar. So while I'm not an expert I'd suggest to try to bring out the orc in him much better, and even more so: Get down to the Rhom-Oc specifics.

This would mean: Reduce his size, change at least parts of the hair to braids (could be rough ones as well, at least this is an orc), bones and pieces of prey are used for decoration, so maybe put some sort of bone chain around his neck, a small skull in the middle or something. Or an additional necklace with teeth, all meant to give the character more depth, as he's still - aside from the face - pretty basic as far as clothes are concerned And work a bit more towards the orcish feel, like hunched shoulders, maybe longer fingernails, something a bit uncivilized.

But nice to see you around again, Faugar. And no more LOST watching until you got this one done! :D

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 23 June 2009, 03:16:16 »

This is beautiful, and so Northern-looking!

The one possible quibble I would have with this picture is that the warg's legs look too short for it to be a riding beast.  If that big orc were riding it, his feet would be dragging on the ground.  Other than that,  I love the slightly Impressionistic style and think it suits the picture in both subject  and background.  Although I do have to agree with Art that this orc looks very human, I still like him. (Yes, I mean the orc; but I like Art too.  What?  Okay, so I have eclectic tastes... :P)

Two thumbs up! And one aura point!

Alysse the Likely
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #48 on: 23 June 2009, 03:18:15 »

Hmmm... Are you comparing me with an orc here, Alysse? lol

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #49 on: 23 June 2009, 04:07:56 »

All right, no LOST this time (fortunately season 5 has ended ;) ).
Thank you for the suggestions, I'll tr to incorporate the orcish look. As to size -  I can make the warg bigger, so the orc will look smaller in comparison. There is no other object of reference (apart from the tree and the plants).
Or do you think I should keep the warg as is and scale the orc ?
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #50 on: 23 June 2009, 04:27:57 »

The guy still has pretty huge hands, hasn't he? And the upper body looks more like the one of a taller person methinks. So even if you make the warg a bit bigger I guess the guy still would need to be at least a bit adjusted methinks.

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 23 June 2009, 04:46:59 »

Oh, I don't know. I think the big hands thing could be a tribal trait?

I agree about the braided hair and some bone 'accoutrements' though. I did think of that myself, but was so taken with the pic as a whole that it went out of my head.

Maybe some kind of animal tail hanging from the spear shaft just below the pointy end would look good?

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Faugar
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #52 on: 23 June 2009, 05:37:48 »

I changed the warg and the orc as well. His head is now bigger (relative to his body) suggesting a smaller overall build, his hands smaller as well.

I tried the tail, but it looked like a dead fish :( so I made it into some trophy hair. Added some bird skulls and bones. Made the fur/leather a bit more patchy.

What do you think about it now?
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 23 June 2009, 05:53:46 »

You've only gone a cracked it! Absolutely spot-on for me, Faugar. I really like the 'painted' look to this picture. Brilliant.

I've been looking at what Alysse said about the warg's legs being too short. With the position it is stood in, it's 'knees' would be bent quite far back, so I imagine there is as much leg hidden behind the orc's leg as there is visible. This would add enough length to make it a suitable mount, n'est pas?

I tried the tail, but it looked like a dead fish
 rolling

Perhaps it was a particularly nasty fish, and the battle which ensued betwixt the two is legion amongst the coast-dwelling orcs?

EDIT: On second thoughts, there wouldn't be that much leg hidden. I still think it's tall enough to be a suitable riding animal though. The orc could always lift his feet up, or cross his feet under it's belly?

I just noticed the wargs right paw (nearest the orc). Perhaps a touch more shadow underneath it? It looks almost as if it is floating just above the log as it is.
« Last Edit: 23 June 2009, 05:57:42 by Tharoc Wargrider » Logged

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Faugar
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #54 on: 23 June 2009, 06:18:32 »

:)
Well, the warg in the new version is very sketchy at the moment, I just painted it a lot bigger, with slightly longer paws too, so didn't have time to refine him yet.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #55 on: 23 June 2009, 14:55:59 »

Ooooh!    This is indeed superior - I particularly like the face, which has a craggy character and individuality to it that so many fantasy artists would ignore.    'Generic' orcs, generic barbarians, generic semi-clad warriorettes (no one is looking at the face anyway rationale) all really annoy me, and I love that you put a unique personality into all your people.  Er, humanoids.  Um, sentient beings?   

And yes, the larger head on the warg is much more effective - I look at the first draft and immediately see the contrast - number one looks positively wimpy compared to this guy, whose jaws could crush a deer's skull without effort.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #56 on: 23 June 2009, 19:12:00 »

Hi Faugar!  Nice to see you here. :)

You know, I love your style and talent, so my praise is short: Great pic, I like especially the jacket of the orc, and the boots, and his face, and the light on the speartip, and , oh well ;)

To the warg, it is better now, big as it is, but something with the leg seems wrong to me, anatomically, but I don't know what - and it looks so well-behaved with the legs like this.

The paws could be even a bit bigger.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 16

Kyranian

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 24 June 2009, 00:47:58 »

What type of warg is it meant to be?  grin Or rather what orc tribe? It's probably in this thead somewhere and I just skipped over it ...
« Last Edit: 24 June 2009, 00:57:45 by Garret Arroway » Logged

Before you kill him, think of what you take from him.
Remember what it is to be alive.

Garret's Development Schedule
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #58 on: 24 June 2009, 01:16:46 »

The orc should be a Rhom-Oc...

Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 16

Kyranian

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 24 June 2009, 01:25:36 »

... Hate being difficult, but if that's the case, I just got the apperance section of the warg for the Rhom-oc a bit before I left for Seekers picture of with the warg. Rhom Warg.

Before you kill him, think of what you take from him.
Remember what it is to be alive.

Garret's Development Schedule
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]