Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Moon oh moon, thou silver sphere..  (Read 8120 times)
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« on: 05 February 2009, 02:11:59 »

Since there is no deal description fo the Caelerethian moon, and the Ter'ei'Vikh are so heavilly associated with it, would there be much objection if i were to define its features and cycles?

Be forewarned, the idea i have in mind is rather unusual, and will change several things you though you knew about the world! (because you made assumptions that covered certain gaps in our information)

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2009, 03:05:53 »

What exactly are your plans Mr. Mira?  Will it still wax and wane every 28 days for example?  (Or is it every 30 in santh?)  On a monthly basis anyway :P

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2009, 03:48:48 »

Make sure to check with Talia!  cool

I think it is extremely important that a moon concept gets finally up on the site. Personally I'm pretty much indifferent to the exact details, as I tend towards more fantastic approaches and bend it the way we need it later in case we need it, but this doesn't correspond with everyone else's approach. But whenever there's a chance to get that up and it has the support of several people, it should be done. If your concept gets through that discussion, I'd be happy to accept the outcome.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Miés´efér Lytherá
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2009, 05:03:34 »

I don't know what is already set in stone here, but perhaps the cycle of the moon can coincide and compete with that of the sun in much the same way as the vessel of Silpion does with that of Laurelin's fruit in the mythology of Middle-Earth. Or more accurately, the way it did before Manwë captured and controlled the two.

"You know who the critics are? The men who have failed in literature and art." (Benjamin Disraeli)
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2009, 06:48:18 »

I have formulated a rather elaborate system involving three rotational cycles, a myth of the Twelve as to how it came to be, and several (rather wrong, but reasonable) speculations of scolars on its composition and nature.

It WILL wax and wane. But only once per year. It will also have a weekly and monthly cycle. I'm awaiting a go ahead! or stay away from my precious! from Talia before trying to make it all into text that other people would understand. Its a bit confusing to myself as well.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2009, 16:15:57 »

Mira, there is no need to check back with me, I have laid down my cosmological responsibilities. I won't argue anymore for what I think is the better approach - which is, Art, not less fantastic as your "Let's do it first and think/bend later". (It is not a "Yes we Can", for that approach does not contradict my way of developing). It is mainly your site and your world and if you don't appreciate my approach, I won't fight for it. Judy is the same opinion as you, and as the two most important people think so, why should I try to convince others? I don't feel the need to do so anymore.

Mira, tell us more about your three rotational cycles (weekly, monthly?), for until now I see only several ??? in my head.

If I think it makes still sense, I write you a list (in the form of questions) what for possibilities you have (no one ever thinks of) how the moon (I assume ow it is a somewhat solid or gaseous object) could move in the world of Caelereth. From there you can always choose what you like, skip what irritates you, neglect what is too complicated OR add new things.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 06 February 2009, 00:21:37 »

Oh, i know it can, physically, rotate the way i want it.

The downside of this is that at least in our universe, would never do so because a rapidly spinning rotation axis is unstable and loses to much energy in a very short time.

Then again, Caelereth's sun shouldn't be able to function either. I'll try to formulate something coherent from my explanation to Decipher sometime soon.

Avrah Kehabhra

Azhira Styralias

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2009, 12:52:16 »

*passes the idea to Talia*

Miss Talia is the Cosmology expert, so I give her the official stamp of overseer on this one.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2009, 19:01:07 »

Remember also that whatever you write about the moon will affect the tides!

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2009, 22:38:53 »

I dont see why it would HAVE to affect the tides....

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2009, 01:24:34 »

It should affect SOMETHING...if not the tides, how about weather conditions, humidity, gravity (then everyone will gain weight at a certain time of the month, not just women  :D ) or behavior (do we have the concept of "lunatic", as someone affected by the moon?)  Anyway, that would be at least as interesting as tides, if not more so.

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 11

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2009, 02:47:49 »

I dont see why it would HAVE to affect the tides....

Well, it would be nice if it did, since all the maritime armillary discs I wrote up depend on the motion of the moon! So, yeah, if  the moon at least has some sort of maritime usefulness, it would make my life easier.

@Mira: If you decide against maritime involvement for the moon, please tell me so that I can revise my entry. And if there is any special info you've come up with regarding the relationship (or lack thereof) between the moon and sailors, I'd be much obliged for the information.
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2009, 04:31:05 »

I think Alysse's mention of 'lunatics' is a valid point, Mira. It would aid me greatly in a future (major) entry if certain quarters of society were affected by the moon's actions/rotation/phases.

Pretty please?

Don't make me use the trifle on you.............again.

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2009, 05:29:16 »

Trifle?

Ooo, I LIKE trifle!  Especially with extra custard sauce, yum!   :D

Alysse the Likely
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2009, 05:33:52 »

Mira has connection issues, right? Hmmm, maybe he could work offline on his ideas? ;)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]