Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Fisah-eck-Shanno "Snowflake", Gathorn Mountains, Insect  (Read 20893 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 17 June 2009, 20:01:35 »

Sir Shialt-eck-Gorrin , could I have them for the Frozen Wastes as well, please? :D
Especially for the western part, not too far away from Barsalon.  And if you invent some predators or similar, they won't be present there ;)

What if the maggots hatch in winter, do they hide then simply under the snow, a somehow hardened snow drift?

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 June 2009, 23:24:50 »

Sir Shialt-eck-Gorrin is my father.  I'm just Alt.  :)

Yes, if you want to expand their territory somewhat, I think we can work with this.  I haven't got a predator in mind, yet.  I'll look for something not yet developed but mentioned, if I can find one.  I suppose I could maybe make my Snow Falcon a predator, and give them another Special Ability, in order to hunt and kill these pests.

The maggots can hatch anytime of year, just that spring is more prevalent.  Sometimes just the proximity of a potential host can spur the froth into opening up.

PS... Do I have to work on this more? or does the clout of my name and status mean I can just let it float through the approval process?  Or do I get the pleasure of sparring with my nemesis once more?
« Last Edit: 17 June 2009, 23:29:11 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 18 June 2009, 00:38:29 »

I think your nemesis has another name this time. ;) Just look over your comments again and see what you like to integrate. There are some interesting proposal after all.

I just had an idea. Maybe there is a kind of prevention/cure. What if your prophet/god (Ko'roch?) survived miraculously such an attack (maybe he had eaten something which grows only in this hidden valley) and that was another sign for his followers that he is a god. And then he gave his followers a (rare) plant which they could use as a repellent? Just an idea. Which plant it was could be lost again or the plant is extinct.

Ha, I thought of another name: (In addition to snowflake) - Deathflakes -edit: -> Judith has used it already, maybe you as well ;)

Ko'roch's 'something'?

This glue of the empty froth, does it has any desirable properties? Maybe Ko'roch found it out?

Take what you like... but you know this yourself ...  buck

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 June 2009, 00:40:29 »

Maybe the gooey froth could be the prevention itself?  Kind of a pheremone repellent?

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 18 June 2009, 00:40:49 »

Yes!!!!!

---> This creature deserves a myth, or two !

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 June 2009, 00:42:04 »

*grumbles and mumbles*  You know I hate the myth part.  I'm horrible at myths, almost as badly as Overviews. :P

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 18 June 2009, 00:45:49 »

Then be nice to me, maybe I dream one tonight! Oh, you are always nice to me! Let's see, but that is no promise nor any excuse to think of one yourself! Now I need to go to the other side first.

Remaom

Gained Aura: -24

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 June 2009, 07:13:47 »

How do these insects remain active during the cold? I think it would improve the entry to at least touch on a explanation seeing that this is very unusual.

What about the name change issue? Would you please consider it?
« Last Edit: 19 June 2009, 13:54:45 by Remaom » Logged
Darbul Runestained
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

Written In Stone

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 June 2009, 07:19:19 »

They have anti-freeze instead of whatever passes for blood in insects.

Right, with that out of the way...

an alternative name might be nice, even though the difference in speech would make "A snowflake" and "OMFG! A SNOWFLAKE!!!!!111!" a bit different.

A dwarf standing on the shoulders of a giant may see farther than a giant himself.
Grendal Thornfist
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 7

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 June 2009, 10:07:26 »

Hmm, Spiderflake mebe, dunno 'bout names as I'm not so good with 'em meself. Just wanted to point out that there are plenty o' snow critters and bugs so's I don't see it as a problem. Int'restin idea ye got here.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2009, 00:19:09 by Grendal Thornfist » Logged

"Ahh, ye sould ha' been there m'lads. Axes were flyin', bodies were fallin', and the ale were flowin'. Aye, it were one hell of a party.
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 18 June 2009, 14:04:42 »

How do these insects remain active during the cold? I think the entry should at least touch on a explanation seeing that this is very unusual.

Medieval researchers might just not find it disturbing, have no explanation. But as they don't find it not disturbing, they will not offer an explanation. They are used to things grow in the cold, so why should they bother with it?

Maybe the Remusians don't see them as insects at all, but an incarnation of a curse by the gods?  Well, that could be something to be mentioned.

@Remaom: Maybe your problem here is one of phrasing:

I think the entry should at least

For somebody new here, who is not even apprentice, the choice of words is important, maybe this would be better?

I think it would improve the entry to...

I think explaining why ... would be helpful..

:)

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 June 2009, 14:42:55 »

So I take it this is my next project, huh?  Thanks. :P

Remaom

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 June 2009, 14:09:25 »

If you had a creature running around without legs, or screaming without a mouth, or throwing boulders without arms or otherwise touching the boulder, you would provide some explanation, right? A bug in the cold is much the same.

Is it magic? What kind of magic? Could this magic be detected? Where might they have gotten such magic, especially for such a simple creature?

Can they produce their own heat so that something able to see heat, could see them? Perhaps you could feel their heat when you came into a area they are in.

IMO it is good for a entry to explain how the creature works, beyond what the researchers might know about it. These are creatures that are actually meant to function in the world. Well for that, we need to know how they function. Even if researches of the world might not know that. It seems to me that this is essentially how most entries are done anyway. I doubt any researcher has the level of quality detail found in many  entries.

Hey that's a interesting idea. A category for what researches know of X creature in entries.

Plus once you figure out how something works, it might be something researchers would know anyway. Like if these snow bugs produced heat, I am sure that would be one of the first things researchers would note about them.

Thanks for the help Talia, I shall try to keep such wording in mind, in the future. If I slip, would you please be as nice as to remind me in PM?
« Last Edit: 19 June 2009, 14:23:44 by Remaom » Logged
Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 16

Kyranian

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 June 2009, 14:28:59 »

First off, this is a fantasy world in progress. Yes, certain things need to match up, but at the same time there could be things that are the way they care just because.

Secondly, my main point is that the Santharian Compendium, or the Santharian Dream is meant to be a collection from various researchers, scribes, historians, artists, and such that add their knowledge to the ever growing collection. Therefore some things are just what they are.

It might be mentioned that researchers are still looking for further information on why something is, as most people have a habit of always trying to understand things, but we don't know everything. Especially in the age we're currently writting for as science isn't so far developed. True, I know I'm one guilty of going a bit beyond what we should know, but I don't explain every little detail. Some things are the way they are just because.

If ya still don't get it take a look at this entry. The Santharian Compendium. Take some time to try and understand the project.

*Passes the reins of the thread back over to Alt.*

Before you kill him, think of what you take from him.
Remember what it is to be alive.

Garret's Development Schedule
Remaom

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 June 2009, 15:05:48 »

I would respond to that with what I already said which you did not seem to read. I say this because I explained why we should figure out how our creatures work in at least the most basic of terms, even if the supposed researchers who we are imagining making the real entry would not know, and how one effects the other.

But the way you responded, I could have said "researchers must/do know everything about what they are researching". But I did not say that. You responded like I said one thing, even though I said something completely different.

If these aren't creatures in a real world, what is there to research? If they are creatures in the real world, we need to figure out how they function, even if some of that information isn't available to researchers.

Some things are the way they are just because.
No, things are the way they are because of specific reasons, whether we know those reasons or not. Those reasons often create specific observable phenomenon.

Like if the reason snow bugs are able to survive in cold is because they produce heat, something researchers would be able to note.

Do you know why your favorite PC game works? How it's programming functions?  Probably not, but if those reasons didn't exist, the game would not function.

You might not know the precise ingredients in the food you order at a restaurant, but if the cook didn't know them either, that would definitely effect your experience. You might not know the precise ingredients, but if it had mint in it for example, I am sure you would be able to taste it.

It is like a bunch of non-cooks/foodes are designing recipes they can never try out for a imaginary restaurant they will never own.
But for a realistic imaginary recipe, we first need to imagine what the food would taste like, which means we need to imagine WHY it tastes like that. Not in precise details of course. But if we say the lemon, cowdung, and ketchup suflay was crispy and sweet, just because (how are we suppose to know why?) that would be stretching creditability.

Not a perfect analogy, but considering didn't seem to really hear me out the first time, it might not even matter.
« Last Edit: 19 June 2009, 15:12:13 by Remaom » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]