Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Hi, my name is Sivartius, and I am a...  (Read 3229 times)
Sivartius
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 10

JOAT Extrodinaire

View Profile
« on: 28 April 2009, 13:58:59 »

Hi, my Santharian name is Sivartius.  I'm new here.  I've always loved writing and fantasy, and am always coming up with great ideas, especially about culture, history, etc. but before I can finish a full story, I come up with a new idea for something totally different, and off I go again.  I like to deal with the whys and hows.  "Why do people from XYZ spit in each others glasses before a meal.  It evolved out of a ceremonial tasting of the others glass to demonstrate that no poison had been administered."  That kind of thing.  But what I really love is castles.  Not so much views of them, though that's fun too, but the design and layout.  How are the rooms set up?  How many stories?  Where are the stairs?  Are there any secret passages?  Where are the kitchens, and the well?  Better make sure to put those two close together, or you will have many tired and disgruntled cooks, and a lot of burned food.  I'm not so good with interior design though.  I don't know hanging, furniture, (except it's size,  "whoops, I put a seven foot bed in a six and a half foot room,") or how it would look on the inside.  I just like to make sure everything fits together and makes sense.  Fantasy engineering if you will.  Unfortunately, most of my designs have been done in pencil.  I'm not sure how to do them on the computer, or post them here.  Anyway that's me.  I love fantasy (but not the dark depressing kind), military sci-fi, classical and sacred music, and, as you can tell, yakking to people who have better things to do.  I hope I can help contribute to this wonderful world that is being, I have to say, grown more than built.  Thanks for listening.  Where's the castles?

Yours in Christ;
Sivartius

"You, betrayed by Time and Space,
Born without your proper grace...
To a world befouled and base,
Feel you proper form and case,
Recognize your homeland's face.
Cross the Void of Time and Space!
Seek and Find your proper place!"
-Christopher Stasheef, "Her Majesty's Wizard"
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2009, 14:35:51 »

Welcome Sivartius (ooh, that was too long, will end up being Siv very shortly buck)

This sounds like the place for you.  Little details like the spitting into glasses are wonderful things that a big place like this could use.  Too many times the big brush strokes are applied to this wonderful milieu, and the fine details are not always given the attention they deserve.  Someone who can add those details and enrich the culture of the people here would be most welcome.

That said, I'm Altario.  My abode is the far north and the Ice Tribes that dwell therein.  Not many castles in my neck of the woods.  If you ever decide to venture there, at any rate, you just let me know, and I will extend you any and all help that I can.  There will be many others here shortly, bringing food and refreshments.  You will get many ideas from them.  In the meantime, look around, get to know the place, and enjoy. :D

(one final caveat:  we try to stay religious neutral here, in order to accomodate all people with all beliefs, and though I respect your belief in Christ, it might be best to leave that out of your posts.  I know you mean no disrespect, and I'm sure none will be taken.  It is just a general rule we folow here)

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2009, 14:50:44 »

Hello Sivartius!

Yep, I think you've found a nice place for your creativity here, so welcome to the Dream :) It's good that you have a tendency to get from one idea to the next and thus develop some things comprehensively, just don't forget to follow through if you start something - you know, oftentimes people start several entries at the same time, and then have difficulties to finish something properly. So make sure that things don't get out of hand.

Oh, and: Castle design as such might not work so great in entries itself, but there's always the way of making an interactive adventure/role playing environment with Santhworld - and place a story in it. That way you could get maps you've done by hand into Santharia, where people can walk around. This surely requires some experience in this regard, but just wanted to mention the options we've got here.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2009, 19:45:37 »

Welcome, Sivartius, to our splendid Dream!

I am delighted to make your acquaintance!  We like newcomers here--broiled, roasted, baked, or batter fried, we're not picky...

Sorry, I couldn't resist that.  Honestly, we only have a few orcs here, and they're almost completely housebroken, so no worries.  (looks around cautiously to make sure Tharoc and Grunok are not within hearing range)

Have some Kaokao cookies, doch nuts, or treat of your choice, and I'm sure you will meet more of us soon!

Alysse the Likely

Alysse the Likely
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2009, 22:38:54 »

Alt I will have to disagree.  We don't stay religious neutral in Santharia,  there are plenty of religions to pick from in the Religions and Mythology forum.  :D

Siv, I like the ideas for castles you have.  I imagine a nice pic of a cross-section of a castle.  Or even a blue print layout drawn on parchment.  Could be a nice pic to show what life is like living in a castle.  You sound like a detail guy.  that is good.  Find something you like here and have fun.  I am sure you can find many things that you can enhace with your eye to detail. 

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2009, 23:42:36 »

CLOMP......CLOMP......CLOMP......CLOMP......CLOMP......CLOMP......CRASH!

'Oos got th' cookies? Ah! there thi are. *Snaffles several of the warm treats from under the nose of Siv, cramming them all in his mouth at once*

Munch, munch, munch....Oh, forry Fiv *he says through a hail of crumbs* A'hm Tharoc, but mos' calls mi Thar. Sounds ter me like yer've found yersel' a place ter stay. Jus' wun fing, when yer does yer cassuls, just mek sure yer meks the doors a bit 'igher, will yer? Me an' Grun is sick ter death o' bangin' us 'eads.

Right, that's me done. Welcome an' all that, mek yersel' at 'ome. Oh, an' fix this if yer gets time, will yer? *snaffles a final cookie before leaning the broken door against the wall and clomping off into the distance*

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
seth ghibta
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 138

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2009, 02:08:58 »

>a flurry of loud and extremely varied animal noises breaks out from where Tharoc's footsteps are dying away. a few moments later, they are silenced, and Seth pops her head round the door, hauling behind her a really weird looking green dog-thing, which is wriggling spiritedly.
"well, if he is gonna go round covered in crumbs..."<
Hi Sivartius! it looks like you'll make a good world builder, giving all these characters and creatures that seem to keep popping up a place to stand/ sit/ fall over in.
welcome to the dream!

violence is not the answer, but you get marks if you show your working.

Santharia needs your molluscs! donate molluscs now!
Sivartius
Aspiring Member

JOAT Extrodinaire

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2009, 02:37:07 »

Looks down at one broken cookie sitting alone on an empty plate
<sniff> cry
Oh well, I guess he who hesitates has lost his cookies too.
<bite><chew chew chew>
Mph!  Ees are ood!
<swallow>
Wow!  My thanks to you most gracious lady Alysse.  Thou hast gained thyself a most devoted servant.  An thou needest assistance, thou hast but to call.
<performs a low bow with many flourishes>
<wipes crumbs selfconsciously from mouth and tunic>
Thank you all for your encouragement and ideas.  You've all made me feel very welcome.  I was about to say, "at home", but my home is sadly lacking in orcs and elves.  I'm not too good at the whole "mingle" thing, or "doing the pretty", as it was known in Victorian England, that's what spending most of your life in a book will do, but I'm really glad to be here.

I had an idea, I was hoping to get comments on.  Please remember that this is only a rough rough draft.  Please be kind.
<tries to give soulfull puppydog eyes, but succeeds in looking rediculouse>

Here we go.  I attached the pictures, so I hope this works.  The idea with the separate tower, is that if a visiting noble or ambassador comes, they can have their own area.  We cannot attack them over the narrow bridge, but neither can they attack us.  Both sides can feel safe.  Additionally, there are no ground floor doors or windows.  This helps with defence, but it also minimizes spies etc the easy entrance and exit for the diplomats.  The second picture is a beginning map/layout of the castle town.  The names didn't come through well when I scanned them, but they're totally open to change anyway.  The area behind the keep is the castle gardens, with walks, pleasure areas, and rose bushes, as well as vegetables for the castle kitchen.  Anyway, please let me know what you think.

Well I'm sorry I got everyone all riled up with my closing.  I'll have to come up with something normal and inconspicuous.

For the honor of the Queen!!
<flourishes imaginary sword, looks around, and charges from the room.>

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2009, 02:41:53 »

I can only see one picture... Plus, if you attach pictures try to reduce them considerably in size so that they fit on the screen, also it is recommended to save them as JPGs instead of BMPs, also reduces the file size. And if you can flip them by 90 degree, then it's even better ;)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Sivartius
Aspiring Member

JOAT Extrodinaire

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2009, 04:36:26 »

Thanks Artmidor.  I'm pretty new at this.
OK, here we go.  Take II

well, that didn't work.  I will try to attach it.
Here it goes.

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2009, 04:44:01 »

I like the plan view, Siv. I can see those being popular with folk who are doing a Place entry either for a building or a whole town.

EDIT:

Actually, it might be an idea to post a few of them. They might inspire us to create a village/settlement/town/city/citadel......
« Last Edit: 29 April 2009, 04:46:19 by Tharoc Wargrider » Logged

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 April 2009, 04:46:01 »

Hello Siv!

I'm Decipher (or Deci) and I'm one of the more senior developers of Nybelmar, a more exotic continent to the west of Sarvonia (the main continent  grin).

You mention you are interested in castles?

I'm currently, amongst other things, working on a Translyvania/Gothic inspired region of Nybelmar laden with zombies, various immortal types and loads of creepy Fortresses and Citadels, though I haven't really ironed out any of the details besides who owns them. If you'd be interested in collobarating with me you'd be more than welcome!

Anyway, always nice to see a new face around here!

Deci

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Sivartius
Aspiring Member

JOAT Extrodinaire

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 April 2009, 04:31:07 »

Sounds great Decipher.  Give me a little information to sink my teeth into, you know, something to get my imagination working, and what the area is like, (wooded, rocky, hilly, mountainous, or plains,) and I'll endeavor to make something that would fit your need.
     Tharoc, that would be awesome.  Unless you've got a better place to put it, I'll just start a discussion titled "Castles", and put all my drawings that Decipher doesn't get there, along with a brief description.  Anyone who wants can use all or part of any of them with my best wishes.  If you do decide to use one though, please post saying that you have, so we don't end up with fifty towns that look identical.  On the other hand, in medieval Europe, the same castle builders would build lots of different castles for different people, sometimes with only minor modifications to take into account local geography.  Also, if you have any comments or suggestions, I wholeheartedly welcome you to post them.

Sivartius
Aspiring Member

JOAT Extrodinaire

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 May 2009, 02:26:01 »

Are you the spammer? cutting and pasting the someone else's comments makes you look really stupid.

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 09 May 2009, 03:47:07 »

*Cough* Faenic castles need designing *Cough*

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]