Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Daylong Flower  (Read 18234 times)
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2009, 05:44:54 »

That's what I was looking for. The sun could get further away from the disc though, so it might have been possible. I didn't want to rule it out.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2009, 06:41:17 »

I think I've fixed up the Myth/Lore section.

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 June 2009, 12:31:51 »

Note to self: Get this finished. Change the flower colours a little, something about spontaneous change from lighter shade of colour to white (yes, it happens, this is weird as heck)

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 June 2009, 03:50:44 »

Wooo! More stuff added. It is in light blue. Really minor edits, I think this entry is done now.

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 June 2009, 04:44:52 »

Edits in Green, while Comments will be in Blue.

Categorization
Herbarium>Medicinal Herbs> Healing Herbs> Dayflower

The Daylong Flower is a variety of long stemmed flower growing throughout south-eastern Santharia. It is noted for the sleep-staving properties that it's leaves can create when brewed as a tea.

Description
The Daylong Flower has a long stem, ending in a series of bright, bell shaped flowers in pink, blue, yellow or purple. There can be perhaps two dozen of these flowers to a stem, which range from a palmspan to three palmspans in height. How big are the flowers themselves?  I am assuming quite small if 24 flowers can be found on a stem only up to 3 palmspands in height. The flowers hang downwards from the stem in small clusters, numbering five or six to a group. Interestingly enough, pink or purple varieties of the flower have been known to turn white. And what of the blue and yellow flowers?  Do they not turn colour as well?  Are they a different species?  If they are the same species, would not all colours change to white? The exact conditions of this change are unknown but it is usually associated with a surfeit of sunlight. The base of each of these flowers conceals a seedadd a period and start a new paragraph for the leaves section. The bottom of these stems is are, unless you change the wording to "The bottom of the stem" where the leaves, used for brewing Daylong Tea, may be found. The leaves are a deep shade of green, and prickly with short hairs on the outside and a sharp edge. The leaves are thicker in the middle thinning towards the stiff, outer edge of the leaf.

Territory
The Daylong Flower grows throughout south-eastern Santharia, though it prefers shadowed areas with moist soil, and can often be found growing along riverbanks. The flower is particularly abundant in Manthria, and can be found the length of the Mashdai. The flowers are noted to have particular changes in colours depending on the region. Manthria is noted for having a profusion of pink flowers, while further north the flowers turn purple and eventually blue predominates in Xaramon. While poor in the flower, Brendolan has a predominance of yellow coloured Daylongs. There have been some sightings of the flower in Nybelmar, but it does not flourish well there. Any particular reason why the flower would be found in Nybelmar, or why it would then not be abundant?  As it stands, it sounds like at the last moment you suddenly thought of adding it to that continent but didn't want to have to research it.

Usages
The Daylong Flower itself is often used in bouquets to add colour by the Qaelhoirhim Elves  only them?  Why not humans? , and its leaves are dried and brewed to make Daylong Tea, which is known to stave off sleep. Daylong Tea is often prescribed to sufferers of Sleep-Ill to help them avoid sudden attacks of sleeping. Sleep-Ill itself is a ailment which causes sleepiness and a plethora of other effects, particularly among persons whose occupation requires long hours of wakefulness or a change in sleep time. The tea itself is often drunk "served cold" would sound better cold, with a generous helping of sugar, since it can be quite bitter. Preparing the leaves is a long process, since they need to be trimmed down in order to avoid diluting the medicine, which is concentrated in the center of the leafperiod Attempts made to create a syrup were unsuccessful, as the sweet syrup often attracted insects so does honey, but we don't consider that an unsuccessful attempt.  Attracting insects wouldn't be a reason for not making a sweet food and the potency of the medicine was lessened by the process. The Daylong flower is not used in Nybelmar, where Watchmoss is preferred. Rodents can often be seen flitting through the piles of fallen petals searching for seeds and it is not uncommon to see smaller birds attempting to wrest a seed from an early fallen petal. Not sure if this is actually a usage, which is more geared toward man made usages.  This might actually go better in the reproduction section, as many plants spread their territory with the help of birds and other creatures eating their seeds and then spreading them through "droppings"

Do anyone simply chew the leaves like south american indians chew coca leaves?

Reproduction
Each flower on the stem of a Daylong flower hides underneath it a dark brown seed. When the season turns from summer to autumn, the flowers drop and the seeds fall with them hidden from animals by the petals. Daylongs themselves are perennial plant, which grow deep roots in soft, moist riverbank soil, so a few wild Daylongs might eventually blanket part of a river bend within the space of a few years. Daylongs begin to regrow in the late spring to early summer, as the days lengthen further. This abundance of sunlight after the spring rain means the flowers grow exceptionally fast as well.

Myth/Lore
The Daylong flowers are believed by to have been a gift from Foiros after the Year of Darkness, a sort of recompense for the cold in the form of bright new spring flowers. (A gift to who?  Why?  This could/should be expanded on much more than it is.)

Well, what I am going to say might sound a bit harsh, but it is meant in the best possible way. 

Having read the entry and all the comments given to it, it appears to me that you had a good idea for a plant that produced a medicine for your Sleep-Ill disease.  Then you quickly wrote this entry.  So far so good.  But, at this point, it looks as though you decided you just wanted to get it finished with as little effort as possible.  The comments that you integrated look like you quickly wrote one sentence, or changed a word here and there, to comply without putting real effort into it.  I point to where Deci mentioned that you should find which tribes use this plant in bouquets, so you picked the Qaelhoirhim Elves because they were convenient.  Why not other tribes?  Are the QE the only tribe that likes bouquets?  As well, the myth section is especially thin and looks like it was simply a quick sentence to say , ok I added a myth.

I know you are much more talented than this, and would like to see you put a bit more effort into it than what it appears to be.  It is a good idea, with a good premise, and a good start.  Don't ruin that by sloppy edits just to get it over and done with.  You will be much more happy with it, if you put more effort into it.  It is not how quickly you get an entry up, but rather to getting the very best entry you can up.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 September 2009, 21:12:42 »

I've rewritten the entry, from scratch, except the categorization section and the (woefully inadequate) Myth section.

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 September 2009, 07:51:37 »

For what it is worth, the Myth/Lore section has been integrated in gold. Make of it what you will.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 October 2009, 07:16:04 »

With a sudden "poof!" a little elf appears. She glances a moment at the entry, then smiles at the old sage before pulling out a quill and parchment and scribbling something quickly down upon the page. Finishing, she folds up the parchment into the shape of an aelirel, at which point the little parchment soars into flight to rest gleefully atop Valan's head. The elf smiles, and then quickly "poof!"s away, knowing that there is at least one sage stalking the boards with a large butterfly catcher.

I hear the chilly nightwinds blow
Above, the round white moon's a-glow.
My thought run wild; I can't lie still
Though I should be asleep, I know.

I rise, glance quickly where the spill
of moonlight washes o'er the hill
I dress and walk into the night
go past the houses, past the mill

Into a meadow where my sight
Is filled with Daylong blossoms bright
Into the fertile field I creep
and steal a stalk of ample height.

I bring it swiftly to my keep
The leaves I cut, then boil and steep--
Until the plant once under toe
At last allows me peaceful sleep.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 10 October 2009, 09:22:10 »

Magical and dainty, yet so carefully crafted!  If I hadn't already given my aura for the day, you should have another point to sparkle in your crown...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 October 2009, 04:01:54 »

Here's hoping that's it. Rayne's poem integrated (it took a while to figure out, initially I thought it was running contrary to the vein of the effect of the tea) in Light Blue

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 October 2009, 11:30:33 »

Further additions (including an attempted tie-in to my other "Sitting Here Since Coor Knows When" herbarium "entry") in Green

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 November 2009, 07:45:21 »

Not to sound pushy, but "Sitting Here Since Coor Knows When" has been the story of this entry for a while. Anyone mind at least giving it a look?

Sivartius
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 10

JOAT Extrodinaire

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 November 2009, 07:57:04 »

I just finished rereading your entry. It looks very good. One question only. Who discovered the effects of Daylong tea, or has it been known for all of recorded history?

"You, betrayed by Time and Space,
Born without your proper grace...
To a world befouled and base,
Feel you proper form and case,
Recognize your homeland's face.
Cross the Void of Time and Space!
Seek and Find your proper place!"
-Christopher Stasheef, "Her Majesty's Wizard"
Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 05 November 2009, 20:04:07 »

Putting this on my list for today Valan, fear not!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 26 November 2009, 23:38:13 »

I suppose it's a very long list?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]