Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What is Reality?  (Read 3479 times)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« on: 25 May 2009, 08:19:33 »

Ok ... I know this is going to be weird ... but it is me that is typing it ... so what else do you expect?

Part of my training as a teacher was in the developmental stages of children. Part of that was that for very very young children anything that they can't see doesn't exist ... eg hiding something from their view and then revealing it producing the look of excitement on their faces ... games of peak a boo also exciting them and so forth.

Anyway, I'm just kind of wondering whether that could become the basis of the philosophical beliefs/mythology/religion of one of the less developed races/tribes or some kind of cult/religious group/philosophical body here in Santharia.

Something along the lines of ...

What we see is real, what we don't see is not real, thus we need to see all members of our group at all times, or else they will cease to be real for a period of time at least. Once we see them again, they stop being not real and instead become real once more. It is always an amazing thing when members that were not real become real once more. Worthy of praise and joy. Trees, plants, animals, shelters, waters, the sky, the stars ... all are real, become not real, and then real once more. When they return to being real, it is also worthy of praise and joy, though the members of our group hold the greatest joy return from being not real to being real.

TBC

Anyway ... I do have to run for the time being, but it was something that came to me, and I was worried if I didn't put it down, I'd forget it :D ... comments, thoughts etc anyone?

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2009, 08:25:23 »

Reminds me of Schrodinger's Cat.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
seth ghibta
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 138

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2009, 20:50:51 »

I read an article in the new scientist a while back that might interest you: it was about how certain aspects of our brains predispose us to religious thinking - giving purpose and symbolism to stuff, that kid of thing. I could hunt it down, if you're interested.

violence is not the answer, but you get marks if you show your working.

Santharia needs your molluscs! donate molluscs now!
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2009, 01:43:22 »

The was a similar bit in wired, to do with conspiracy theories. The word they used to describe it was "Patternicity"

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2009, 02:38:35 »

it was about how certain aspects of our brains predispose us to religious thinking

Yes, there is a lot of stuff around, I have a book called : Why God Won't Go Away. Brains Science and the Biology of Belief, from Newberg/D'Aquili/Rause. Very interesting!

Dekli, I could imagine such a tribe, but only in a special environment, away from civilisation as we know it (either direction). But I don't see it coming soon, would have to be in a remote area. As we prefer stuff we can link to the existing things better, you need to keep this idea for later. ;)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2009, 05:14:16 »

This is still pretty sketchy, but I think it's an interesting idea in general. You know, personally I like to have concepts on the site that are pretty unique, yet not so overly fantastic that they are too weird. Not every tribe in all of Caelereth needs to have elemental Gods and Goddesses etc. - let's try something different! So this I think could be a fascinating approach of a more primitive tribe/group of people if handled properly, though it needs to be elaborated in more detail and thought through of course. Though as has been brought up already, placing them would also be a bit of a problem. But it's an interesting idea for sure!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Sicillia Lock

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2009, 19:57:10 »

Whenever I read this all I can think of is an episode of Dr Who that was on a while back, it really reminds me of that. For anyone who does not watch Dr Who, there were these angles like things, and whenever you looked at them, they turned to stone, just like they were normal statues. So whenever anything or anyone could see them they ceased to exist as living creatures and became statues. But as soon as you blink or look away they become real again and can move really quickly. I always thought that was a really scary race of creatures.

But I do really like this idea; it is a very primitive view of the world, yet in some ways brings to mind the cynical views of modern day people. I bet there is no one who can honestly say they have never thought, “I cannot believe it until I see it”.
But how you say that they only believe in what they see at any moment in time, that much mean they have a very short memory, and almost makes me wonder how they would survive, how could a mum care for her newly born young if as soon as she looked away, it ceased to exist, unless she never looked away. Then how could they eat, or sleep. Does this mean they would never be able to shut their eyes, because the whole world would cease to exist?
Imagine a world run by babies...
I really do not see how it would work.

Cannot help but like the concept though.

... I reach towards a hatch that opens on an endless sky to fall or fly.
The AMAZING Simon Armitage.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2009, 20:47:43 »

Maybe children are carried around till they are three or so..., or they have learned to leave them in save places, where they can find them whole when they do look again and then the baby comes again into existence. Surely not easy to make it work.

I planned a tribe some time ago for Aeruillin, which lives exclusively in the present, but that is much easier... well, but if I recall that strange Southamerican tribe, which has a language form where future and past is somehow exchanged -and their world view as well. I need to look into this again, it was so weird, even weirder then the idea above.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2009, 04:08:58 »

Pratchettian Trolls believe that the future is the past and vice versa.

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2009, 04:12:37 »

I remember hearing about some sort of Jungle Tribe that believed only things which have happened in their own generation to be important. Missionaries who tried to explain the story of Jesus were met with replies of 'and how long did you know Jesus? what did he like to eat? Was he a fast runner?'. When the missionaries explained that the story took place 2000 years ago, they felt very very cheated for paying so much attention....

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2009, 05:30:43 »

Thank you all for your thoughts, concerns, advice, encouragement etc :)

I'll keep it bubbling away ... and see if I can make it a lot less sketchy :)

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]