Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gaol frenesye  (Read 1369 times)
Sicillia Lock

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 29 May 2009, 08:37:05 »

Okay might as well just see how this goes...

Overview:

Gaol frenesye is a mental disorder that occurs during a long period of confinement with no change in surroundings and a lack of social activity or interaction. Although the illness is not deadly, it does mean the sufferer will be a danger to others and themself as they become violent.

Symptoms:

- Restlessness
- Inability to relax
- Insomnia
- Irritability
- Anxiety
- Depression
- Burning pain in the abdomin
- Vomiting

Effects:

A typical case of gaol frenesye will involve the sufferer becoming restless and unable to relax, or sleep in their environment. Compulsive and repetitive behaviours develop; this may include muscle twitches, a stammer when talking and repeating a particular action or phrase. Although the sufferer may become exhausted, they are often unable to sleep, due to the inability to relax and calm thoughts. The lack of sleep will cause irritability rendering the sufferer unable to properly converse with any other person; they will become anxious and depressed in their surroundings.

In some cases the sufferer will also develop a burning discomfort in the abdomen followed by vomiting. People suffering with this condition may become a threat to themselves and others around them, and are likely to become violent.

Cure/Prevention:

Over the years there have been many attempts to cure sufferers with soothing remedies to relax the mind, and although this may help to suppress the symptoms, the only known cure is open space. The feeling of being trapped is the cause of gaol frenesye, so the only way to recover is to be able to leave this confined space, which is often impossible. To prevent the onset of gaol frenesye it is advised to stay sociable and occupy time with useful activity as much as possible when trapped in a confined space.

Cause:

Gaol frenesye is caused by long-term confinement with unvaried social contact and activity available to occupy time. It is not known exactly why people become ill under these conditions; although it is suspected that the detachment from reality can cause distorted thoughts and concepts of what is normal.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2009, 03:57:42 by Sicillia Lock » Logged

... I reach towards a hatch that opens on an endless sky to fall or fly.
The AMAZING Simon Armitage.
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2009, 09:47:59 »

Perhaps you should call it "gaol frenesye"  ( from the medieval terms for "jail" and "frenzy", or "madness") and because most cases of this would occur in prison.  I doubt the average Santharian would suffer from something like this--they probably live a great deal of their lives out of doors.  So people would see this as being caused by imprisonment.

My two sans,

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2009, 09:59:43 »

Hi Sicillia: :D

I'm not seeing anything here that would put this disease in a Santharian setting.  It could have been C&P from a Wiki article (I know it hasn't, and I'm not accusing you of such, as I know you wrote this yourself  :D).

I think you need to find a way to make this a Santharian disease, including a name change.  By starting with Cabin Fever, which I'm sure everyone knows of, you have pretty much taken Santh out of it already.

Phrases such as
although it is suspected that the detachment from reality can cause distorted thoughts and concepts of what is normal
really make this look like an excerpt of a modern textbook.

How do we know it leads to ulcers in the stomach lining?  How would a person in this environment know about the ulcers?  Autopsies?  And if so, how then would they draw the connection to cabin fever with sores inside the stomach?

Expand on this.  Flesh it out some.  Make some references to Santharian places, times, events.  Who are susceptible to this?  Humans alone or all races?  How long does it take to start suffering from it?  How long can one suffer from this and what is the eventual end result?

What were these cures that did not work?  

It's an interesting concept, so don't get discouraged.  Just try and place this inside of Santharia a bit more than it is right now.   ;)
« Last Edit: 29 May 2009, 14:22:44 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Seeker

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2009, 13:22:13 »

This is a great start, Sicillia. thumbup  You have the basic points down.  Now the fun part is to make it "colorful".  Take what Alt is saying to heart.  Weave it into Santharia.  Maybe make up an eyewitness account of someone getting this disorder, and the havoc it caused.  Or perhaps a certain race is more susceptible to this and you can explain a myth behind why.   Just some ideas.  Use your imagination.   

And keep in mind Santharia does not have modern doctors.  So keep it medieval. ;)

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Sicillia Lock

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2009, 18:36:12 »

Thank you Alysse, I actually really like that name, it just seems right. I am always terrible at coming up with names, thanks for the idea, I love it.

Yes I completely agree about it having to be more Santharian, I did write this pretty late last night so did not have much time to elaborate, but I though best to get it posted anyway. I was thinking about doing a history section with a few eye witness situations from different times in history, and perhaps even a survivor of the illness. Which I will get down to writing when I find the time between exams and revision.

I was a bit hesitant about putting the ulcer into the symptoms for that reason, but I would also point out that these kind of ulcers would occur in a lot of other circumstances, which would mean that scientists would have had plenty of time to hopefully find out what they are. Then when people with Cabin fever suffer from the same symptoms the connection could be made. Or perhaps I should just remove the ulcer from the equation and simply say a symptom is the abdominal pain and vomiting that it causes.

... I reach towards a hatch that opens on an endless sky to fall or fly.
The AMAZING Simon Armitage.
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2009, 23:33:08 »

Yes, I would do that, skip the ulcers and just refer to it as abdominal pain.  I think that knowing it was ulcers puts too much scientific knowledge into the hands of our healers.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2009, 01:42:18 »

Glad to help, I enjoy coming up with names and playing with words.   "Gaol frenesye" (or any variant such as "frensy", "phrenzye" or "frenezy" if you like those better) just sounds and looks interesting, I think.

Alysse the Likely
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]