Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Town of Myrth  (Read 3264 times)
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« on: 12 June 2009, 02:56:10 »

Once a small but prosperous lumber town, the village of Myrth stands amid a forest of rotting stumps and scraggly brush.  Having devoured its main source of income in its fanatic zeal for wealth, the village now lies underneath a cloud of poverty and disrepair; the town’s once valued lumber supplies replaced by other areas of the Kingdom.  Though the townspeople still manage to sell small quantities of wood to Chrondra and to Marcogg, the importance of their supplies is not nearly much as in their heyday.

Description:

Location:  Nestled in the remnants of the grove that once stood in its place, the town of Myrth stands directly opposite Chondra, its fading wealth and depressed economy, a stark contrast to the majesty and power of the city on the far side of the Upper Masdai.  Following either the river or the trails leading through the Stormwarden Ridge, Myrth lies about a day’s journey from its nearest neighbor to the south, the imposing metropolis of the capital, Marcogg.  To the north and the east, the small city finds itself flanked by the numerous towns and forts erected underneath the shadows of the Mithral Mountains and the Sentinels. 

People:  Populated mainly by the descendants of once opportunistic settlers from Marcogg and Chondra, the remaining members of the town are primarily Avennorian humans.  Given the profession of choice within Myrth, both Elven and Brownie settlers are exceedingly rare, though the occasional dwarf family can be found scattered among the 80-100 residents.  Once a booming young lumber-camp, the town finds its population steadily dwindling as its citizens slowly drift back to Marcogg, Chondra, and the dwarven settlements in the Mithral Mountains.

The sour taste, often accompanying the bitter realization that one’s dreams of wealth, power and prosperity shall never be fulfilled, defines the demeanor of the remaining members of Mryth.  While not hostile or exclusory, the general ambiance of Myrth differs greatly from the opportunistic mood of a location such as Courtford, adopting a more mordant and pessimistic view.

Save for the few who are the proprietors of small general stores in the center of the town and the handful of Avennorian families who make a living providing a ferry service across the Upper Masdai to Chondra and to Marcogg, the populace of Myrth is predominantly loggers and their families.  Moving in large groups, often accompanied by a horse and pulled log-bed, these men travel miles through cleared forest daily to reach the sparse groupings if trees to the north and south.

One of the more conspicuous aspects of the tribal composition of the inhabitants of Myrth, given its proximity to both Stormwarden Ridge and the cultural metling pot of Chondra, is the distinct lack of Serphelorians.  While Serphelorian women may have proven themselves to be fierce combatants, the tribe’s code of honor, the katmoh, prizes charity, friendliness and the assistance of others, characteristics that stray far from the principles of greed and a desire for material wealth that serve as the cornerstone for the foundation of Myrth.  As such, members of the tribe tend to avoid the town, condemning it as a place of vice. 

Climate:  Pressed comfortably between the storms and cool air billowing down from the jagged peaks of the Mithral Mountains and the refreshingly chilled waters of the Upper Masdai as they mix with the hot, dry climate of the majority of the eastern side of the Santharian Kingdom, Myrth, and the forest that formerly housed it, are situated in the perfect environment for plant growth and cultivation.  A tempered winter and summer allow for plant-life to flourish year round, carpeting the remnants of the forest floor with Doch Nut and Goldenbell bushes and Ptoria weed peeking out from amidst the rotting stumps of once magnificent trees.

Though rain occurs sparingly, often in harsh and tumultuous storms traveling in from the mountain ranges to the east, the soil is kept fertile and moist by nutrients swept in from the north by the river.  Though it has yet to be attempted, due to the vast amount of resources and effort required, should the forest remnants be cleared, it is quite possible that the land could be suitable for farming.

Flora:  Immediately surrounding Myrth, amidst the remnants of the grove that once stood there, lies a carpet of bushes and weeds ranging from the Doch Nut Shrub to the Ptoria weed.  As one moves further away from the settlement, the small, scraggly shrubs and weeds are replaced first thin-trunked birch and eventually powerful Oak and mighty Urban trees.  In these depths of the forest, where the towering trees shade the moist ground, an assortment of vines and mosses cover the ground and curl around bases of trees. 

Fauna:  Once brimming with fuzzy woodland creatures of all sorts, ranging from the cutest chipmunk to the fiercest black bear, as time has progressed, the animal composition of Myrth has drastically changed.  Where once wild beasts dominated, as the area has become increasingly deforested, domestic animals have become common.  Requiring a sizeable number of beasts of burden to haul felled trees, horses, oxen and donkeys of all kinds are the most common animal life in the region.

Resources:  Despite their lack of prosperity in recent times, the town of Myrth is situated upon an ecological gold mine.  Running along its entire western flank, the Upper Masdai provides the village with an unlimited supply of fresh water, able to be used for drinking as well as washing, and a steady supply of fish.  To its immediate north and south, Myrth is surrounded by a dwindling supply of lumber, its primary export, as well as a supply of stone from the Sentinels and Stormwarden Ridge.  While the town is on the decline, due to the quickly evaporating supply of trees, should it so desire, its prime location would allow it to be converted into either a small fisherman’s hamlet or a quarry-town.

« Last Edit: 15 June 2009, 02:55:41 by Drasil Razorfang » Logged
Grunok the Exile

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2009, 19:48:19 »

If it's across the river from Chrondra, and near enough to a place called Stormwarden Ridge, you might find a significant proportion of Serphelorians living there (their 'nickname' being Wardens), and Chrondra being an originally half-Serph, half Av place. read pet

They might also have a good new business in ferrying folks across the river.

pet

Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2009, 00:26:42 »

Alright.  Comments addressed and a new section added
Grunok the Exile

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2009, 09:41:53 »

. . . members of the town are primarily Avennorian and Serphelorian humans. . . often accompanied by a horse and pulled log-bed, these men travel miles through . . .

If there are Serphelorians, there will be women in those groups, too.  You could get quite an interesting culture-mix going on here actually - you have an opportunity with this town to define how Avennorian and Serphelorian cultures mix, and in what ways they stay seperate, when they live together.  You might choose to do it in a certain way, and say that it only applies to this town, but you may also choose to think up a way in which it would be likely to work in many of the towns along the old Av/Serph kingdoms' borders.

Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2009, 06:48:34 »

Hmm...Its kind of a small area and I never really imagined it as a flourishing cultural center.  As of right now, I don't really know anything about the Serphelorians, but I will read through the entry and see if I find anything the piques my interest.

Edit:  Alright, having read the entry, I don't really think the tribe, even though it lives around the Myrth really fits the culture as you initially described and as I have written it currently.

Far from being viciously warlike, however, the Serphelorians are not a greedy or acquisitive tribe.

As it is now, Myrth is a town that was founded upon greed, grew rapidly as a result of that greed, and is in the process of being consumed(on the decline) because of it.  The Avennorians are known to be traders and merchants, so it seems logical that members of the tribe would jump on the band wagon of such an opportunistic venture(sort of like people traveling west during the Gold Rush in the US) but it doesn't really fit the culture of the Serphelorians.  If anything, the Serphelorian women would look down on a place such as Myrth from what I gathered.
« Last Edit: 14 June 2009, 06:57:33 by Drasil Razorfang » Logged
Grunok the Exile

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2009, 19:05:35 »

That's probably a good call, Drasil.  If you can explain in the entry why you won't find many Wardens there, that might be a good way to go  :)

Smee
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2009, 18:45:41 »

I think listing the Sentinels as a local resource is a bit of a stretch. It is quite some considerable distance away, and is heavily mined already by the population of Simsy, built at the base of the Sentinels. See my relatively recent entry in the compendium for more information.

http://www.santharia.com/places/simsy_village.htm

I think the ferrying is an excellent way to go (it's quite a distance north or south to the nearest proper bridge. Fishing too.

Maybe some possibility of them actually working to restoring the forest - planting some saplings and maybe even heading (eventually) towards sustainable logging. Planting trees is a lot less effort than turning the land to farming.

Just some thoughts...

Happy Writing :)

"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own satanic herd!"
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2009, 19:17:38 »

Hi Drasil,

dwarves above ground? Not just like this, I assume, they don't like living above ground. If you have a family there, then they would have a certain history you should mention.

Brownies? I thought they live so reclusive, only in Milkengrad more or less together with humans -- check , the Garret humans are not really visible - check rookie and Garret

Same with elves - why should they want to live in a human settlement, not with their tribe, especially in one like this  which destroys the nature -->  explanation why.

Maybe you describe the look of the humans, you see, not all Avennorians are so greedy as you describe them. Maybe they are tending to be blond mainly like the greedy original invaders?

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2009, 00:58:57 »

@Smee: Put it in there because its a possibility.  I haven't looked at the map but I don't think it impossibly far away.

@Talia:  Yes, I thought of that when I was writing it, hence why I mentioned that they were extremely rare and far between.  Also, its important to remember that even though we talk about races as groups of people with universal characteristics among them, in reality that is not the case.  Every single dwarf, elf and brownie Drasil the developer meets is not going to be identical and as such are not all going to share the same exact values.  Look at your hone-nation of Germany for example.  I doubt you can say that everyone in your country, probably not everyone in your town, shares the exact same values, ideas, ect.  While we acknowledge that races have similar atrributes when viewed as a whole, not every member of the tribe is identical.

Also, I believe I mentioned most of these races due to the fact that Myrth is located on the path leading north out of Marcogg and is across the river from Chondra, both of which are known to be places of great tribal and racial mixing.  Its not illogical, due to its proximity to these locations for the town to get a few passers-through who are of a heritage that is not Avennorian.  However, this considered, the predominant background remains with the tribe as these folks wouldn't be permanent residents.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 07 July 2009, 01:21:10 »

Well, why do you not want to mention why they are there? Your village is not this big and so it would be an interesting thing to know why they stayed - and what the other villagers think of them.

I would nevertheless ask Rookie about the Brownies, for so far I thought they would NOT live with humans, except in Milkengard. And the dwarves - I can remember Judith was quite picky, that it is a racial characteristic, that they were nearly not able to live above ground, a dwarf would never leave voluntarily his community. So,you can't have a normal dwarven family there, and therefore its reason/history would be of interest.

It would be of interest, where this Brownies live e.g., of what tribe they are etc..

Looked it up for you:

Mode of Living/Habits. Brownies tend to live in large to VERY large communities. They live in trees, under trees, on the ground, under the ground - just about everywhere, so that a small area can host a large Brownie population. Brownies are generally cautious of big people, especially elves. Return to the top

Family, Society and Culture. Brownies generally have strong family ties. They enjoy and utilize nature, and often prefer to live close to it, but do not particularly reverence it, except as a renewable resource and as a dwelling place for the spirits of rock, tree, and stream. They are fun loving, independent, cautious but confident, reckless and a tad mischievous. Each tribe is culturally distinct from each of the others.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2009, 01:25:09 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Smee
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 July 2009, 02:02:56 »

200 strals is a fair distance to go to work each day. I think if some people really wanted to be miners, they'd simply move to Simsy and live there.

"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own satanic herd!"
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 July 2009, 05:24:21 »

@Talia:  I meant to say they might pass through, not that they would be the mayor.  Also, I said Brownies and elves are exceedingly rare, meaning practically non-existant.  I think you are trying a bit too hard to nit-pick on that particular front.  As for the dwarves, that was an oversight on my part.  I should not have used the word family and I will change that once I begin to start working on the entry again.

@Smee: Hmm...I must of confused them with some other area on the map.  I'll double check that.
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 July 2009, 19:11:09 »

It does seem a little weird to me to have "very rare" Brownie settlers, because they live in such big groups normally.  Unlike any other races they have to have their own economy, because they need smaller size clothes, smaller portions of food, smaller furniture, smaller homes, smaller tools to make all this stuff with....etc etc.  They can't just go down to the same shop that anyone else does, or use the same craftsmen.  So either you have a community of Brownies or you don't.

On the other hand if you did want some then why not say there are rumours of Rat Brownies living in abandoned sheds/storage houses or something.  You wouldn't necessarily know how many of those you had, as they'd stay out of your way, but you might get some strange thefts or even attacks on dogs/cats/people who wandered into the storehouses! 

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 July 2009, 00:10:31 »

What was supposed to be a brief mention has been causing way to much trouble so I am just going to remove that section entirely.  It was never meant to be interpreted as it is being so to save myself the trouble of explaining, I'll just get rid of it.

Edit: I had a talk with Rookie in the IRC and she helped explain to me the syntax that was getting everyone so confused.  Once I get back to finishing this, I shall edit that particular section accordingly to hopefully remove any more confusion. 
« Last Edit: 08 July 2009, 01:33:16 by Drasil Razorfang » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]