Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Origin of the Morchini- NYBELMARIANS READ!!!!  (Read 3212 times)
Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« on: 15 June 2009, 03:15:55 »

Okay, basically, Mira and I were talking about the concept of linking the origins of tribes to one another rather than having numerous unconnected tribes seep out of Menemronn's control after his downfall. Such a link has already been achieved between the Tiquaitan and Ter'ei'vikh, who share the 'Noha' as ancestors. A similar link is intended between the Faen and Morchini, essentially dictating that the Morchini are an offshoot of the main Faen 'genepool' as it were.

This, below, is what I have written up to explain what, in my opinion, could have led to the split, and I am looking for input and feedback, particularly from Team Kazai (which consists of Mira, Drasil and Coren, since there were his intial idea). Comments on it from everyone else, however, would be very useful.

Deci

Excerpts of Faen History: The Cult of the Hand and the Morchini Expulsion

As a result of the Faen tendency for multiple births, the population has exploded, and as such physical differences become more and more apparent throughout the Municipen due to the breeding of similar characteristics. None, however, are more obviously different than the groups to the Northern Extent of the Municipen, the XXX, a reclusive and aggressive group of miners and YYY, a bitterly antisocial but undeniably efficient group of farmers. However, for most part of their history, they remained embraced as Faen in their own right, the burly youth of XXX forming the bulk of the Faen army and the produce of YYY contributing significantly feeding the mouths of the nation.

After the introduction of the infamous ‘Poetpriest Debt’ under Kezarian sanction, many of the simple workers in the North lost faith in the typical Faen religion, the priests forcing significant hardship upon them. By subtle coincidence, Ratator Khrum, a relatively unknown Poetpriest, had been expelled from the order for heretical practices- claiming he had seen the true guise of the divine in his dreams. After his defection from the order he divulged his ideas to another group on the fringes of society, the long scorned Earth Magi who took refuge in the Northern Valleys from prying eyes. It was in the secluded depths of the valleys that the pivotal ‘Cult of the Hand’ was born, claiming the omniscient deity ‘The Hand’ as a punisher of all those who did not embrace him.

Though the process was gradual, the religiously dissatisfied XXX and YYY were eventually turned to the idea of The Hand, the services of the Earth Magi in the mining operations and tempering of the fields definitely adding prestige to the movement.

The growth of such a influential group however was incredibly disconcerting to the mainstream priesthood of the Municipen. Elevated One Hiatiani of the Priesthood claimed the entire cult to be dangerously malignant to the entire nation, whilst the cult themselves continued to breach the downfall of the Faen if faith in The Hand was not embraced. Many in the South found the cultists in the North to be extremely aggrevating, scornfully dubbing them ‘Morshani’ (Vieja Faenica for ‘Infections’) after an outbreak of Fungal Fever, which caused the skin to become pallid and pasty. Tensions festered, but did not come to a head until the Great Famine in zzzz b.S.

The Great Famine, the year where exploding birth rates and poor weather conditions finally met boiling point, saw a schism in Faen society. While the Cult insisted this was The Hand’s doing, a punishment for a lack of service to the deity, the majority of the Municipen quickly blamed the Black Magic of the Earth Magi (and by proxy, the Cult of The Hand) and saw the scorning of the fields of YYY as divine punishment for their heresy, a punishment which led the nation to starve. Under strong public pressure, and influence from Elevated One Hiatiani, Kezar Giaronni signed a declaration that ordered the exile of the collective Morshani peoples to the wilderness of the Kaerethi plains- that lands that would eventually become the Kazai.

Reforming the name ‘Morshani’ into ‘Morchini’, a word meaning ‘Noble’ in the pidgin dialect that was formed from conscious alteration to Vieja Faenica and existing differences in regional vocabulary, established a new society that eventually formed one of the most dogmatic and warmongering nations on the continent of Nybelmar.  
« Last Edit: 01 July 2009, 01:07:45 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2009, 03:36:15 »

I am totally in favour of this "descending from a common ancestor" approach - adds depth to the continent's history and mythology. That's why I invented the Ancient Krean - to supply the seeds for the various (Krean descendent) tribes populating Nybelmar.

A few questions:

- "Such a link has already been achieved between the Tiquaitan and Ter'ei'vikh, who share the 'Noha' as ancestors" >> So Vikh = Noha + Krean?

- "the long scorned Earth Magi who took refuge in the Northern Valleys" - are these also Faen or another tribe?

- Timeline? I know that the Morchini need to be there in more or less the form we know today (in fact as a much stronger kingdom) before or at least during the time of Dearan Asaen: 2300-2000 BS. Hint hint - who is this mysterious Earth King that saved northern Nybelmar from one of the Shadow Wars? (I'll be sowing oblique connections here and there in the mythology of the continent between the appearance of this Earth King in the north a few centuries after the "disappearance" of Dearan Asaen around 2000BS. After all, given how hard they are to come by, we should recycle our mythological figures...)

- Territory of the original Faen?

Otherwise I love the story! My only request is to respect my original ideas regarding their physical appearance and culture :)

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2009, 03:39:34 »

In fact I like it so much that I will bestow upon you another aura point!

Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2009, 03:48:27 »

Responses:

Vikhari= Noha

Tiquaitan=Jirai, Chima, Tsu=Noha

Ter'ei'vikh= Noha + Lillivear

Earth Magi also Faen, but I assume their magic would be based on something more archaic and mysterious. That way it would serve your previous assertion that alot of the work done by Earth Magi is deciphering what old texts meant.

Well the Kazai needs to be in a strong enough position to invade Tiquaitan territory by the time the Three Citystates merge, and they merged around 4500 b.S. The expulsion could roughly be put about 200 or so years before, no?

Municipen territories are the same as they are today, its just the bit where the Morchini are now was uninhabited, previously an untameable wilderness. However, with the aid of Earth Magi and the Masterfarmers of the Faen, the agricultural heavyweight of the Kazai is eventually born. I did try and mesh in as much existing stuff concerning the Morchini as I could!

Thanks for the Aura too Coren!

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2009, 03:54:50 »

Re the ancestry of the tribes: Can we eventually come up with a flowchart or something? It's getting really difficult keeping up with the names, not to mention who is related to whom... The tribal landscape is becoming more and more like an episode from Brothers & Sisters!

Re 2: OK, but remember that the earth magi are a lot shorter than the morchini. But given the vastness of the timelines we are talking about here, there would have been plenty of opportunity for a different evolution from the Faen. Bah, horrible sentence but I hope you catch my meaning

Re 3: The earlier the better. So this all happened way before the Golden Age of Krath. OK

Re 4: OK

Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2009, 04:00:26 »

Re Flowchart:

Once the origin of all/a majority of the tribes is more apparent, I'll try and build up some sort of 'Family Tree' for you

Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2009, 04:17:17 »

Timeline? I know that the Morchini need to be there in more or less the form we know today (in fact as a much stronger kingdom) before or at least during the time of Dearan Asaen: 2300-2000 BS.

Given the fact that the Morchini have time to develop a rigid caste system, they are going to have to have diverged from their parent tribe long before they first become any sort of power on the continent.  The division between the upper two classes and the lower two is pretty sharp: definately not something that is going to occur only a couple decades after the original group diverged from the parent tribe.  To be plausible it  would require at least almost a century, if not more of the Morchini Priest-Magi and Warriors isolating themselves(absorbing themselves in their studies of magic, weaponry, ect.) to be able to not only develop their sense that they are superior to the bottom level of the caste, but also to impose, and tighten their control over them.
Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2009, 04:20:02 »

You worked it out between yourselves - just have the finished product ready for 2300-2000 BS :P

Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 June 2009, 04:37:29 »

Okay Drasil, hows this:

Expulsion (5000 b.S).--------> One Hundred Years of sorting out the Kaereth Wilderness and building on it (4900 b.S).------> Morchini begin to absorb themselves for some reason or another (4800b.S.)---------> Castes are now rigidly apparent (4700 b.S.) -------> Kazai flourishes as a military and economic power under the caste system (4600 b.S.)-------> In a position to invade Tiquaitan, before they are persuaded not to with ALOT of silver (4500 b.S.)

Eh?

Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2009, 05:01:46 »

And heres a little family tree for you Coren, to be expanded upon to include the Faen, Morchini and any other related tribes we come to create.

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 June 2009, 06:03:53 »

Fantastic!

Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 June 2009, 06:20:22 »

Any idea who has an established ancestry that would need be accounted for in one big comprehensive 'Tree'

Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 June 2009, 00:24:19 »

Timeline sounds good to me
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent