Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Weavers  (Read 16000 times)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09 August 2005, 12:41:00 »

No beasts CAN go through, though. We can't allow it, or else Caelereth would be in flames from all the hideous, dark, and dangerous monsters that had passed through the "fabric" into the world of Caelereth. If there ever was a hole, Caelereth would face some pretty serious problems!

The weakened (but still whole) fabric allows for things to pass through (like water through cloth). It is easier for a summoner to summon things through the fabric because the beast wants to come through. A beast is like the water wishing to pass through the fabric, and the summoner's spell is like the gravity that pulls it through the fabric. They work together to cause the spell to occur. However, this summoning weakens the fabric, and could, over time, cause holes, though the fabric is always "repaired" by Weavers (or so they say) before the fabric can grow to be holes.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Artemis
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 August 2005, 13:32:00 »

Ok, so I'm back and ready to dip a rather scared toe into the magic forum.

I will take a look at the relevant section.

And then tremble with fear.

Or something like that anyhow.

:D  :D  :D  

You're supposed to put something really clever and witty in the signature. Well, I am neither clever, nor witty, so this is a waste of space for me really.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 August 2005, 13:44:00 »

Don't worry. You don't have to know anything about magic to give your opinion on how Weavers are perceived by the Aeruillin people! :)  

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Erian Melor

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 August 2005, 13:58:00 »

This is a great entry, and I cannot see any problems with it.;)  I especially like how the weavers remain neutral, for their only concern is the mending of the web. Great job!!!:biggrin  

Erian Melor~The spark of life rests upon the edge of a knife.
~Elf Age Calculator
~Measures Converter

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #34 on: 09 August 2005, 15:23:00 »

I think you described it good, Rayne, your example with the water and the fabric. We have to clear now however, where this "other" realm is, where the demons etc "are"-. maybe we should look at this point to the netherworld entry as well, which is a bit contrary. I am occupied with the demons currently, looking if I can alter them a bit, so that they are a bit more consistent, and there I came over your problem as well. Will post soon, have some questions as well, but now I have to look, that I get art on skype!

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 September 2005, 05:30:00 »

The point about beasts entering was mostly hypothetically, for example if on an exceptional occasion, one beast managed to enter in the past it would be an explanation to the tales about them.

Also, even with water, there has to be some kind of hole – although a very small one – to let it go through. You say that summoner's spell is like the gravity that pulls it through the fabric, which is what I was thinking as well. But I’m more thinking of the fabric being stretched to let the beast through, while you stretch the beast (like water makes itself fit through the hole) to make it fit the hole in the fabric. Maybe this could be two different ways of looking at it?

In both ways, the actually passing through, or even just the attempt to do so, could cause threads to break, which are repaired by the Weavers.

Or am I seeing it wrong?

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 October 2005, 16:30:00 »

Thank you, Talia! And I have no problem altering this entry a bit to fit anything with demons.

Marvin, "stretching" the fabric also conjures the idea that, for a moment, there is a gaping hole in the fabric. This hole may end up letting more than one demon pass through into the world of Caelereth. In my explanation of things, only one demon may pass through at any given time, because a summoner is needed to cause this passage to take place. The "stretching" of the "fabric" into "holes" also seems to imply that any demon could pass through the fabric if they tried hard enough--it would merely be a task of trying, of using their will power to open it. This can't be possible. If it was, Caelereth would be in ruins right now.

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09 November 2005, 04:14:00 »

Well, you said yourself that it's the combined strength of the mage and the demon are needed to pull a demon through the fabric. So it would be pretty much the same here. And since this is a more symbolic way, the 'size' of the hole could depend on the strength of the demon, explaining why even powerful demons can't pass.

Anyway, you could see it as the mage catching the demon by the horns and pulling him through, with the fabric stretching around the demon, immediately shutting down again. So that way it would be the same as what you said. It doesn't necessarily have to be a gaping hole.

The actually 'holding open' an entrance l is maybe something that could have been done by the chosen ones during the war of the chosen?

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 09 November 2005, 07:41:00 »

I think this discussion is not about the weavers, but about the netherworld - which is one of the next projects for a rethink. Pleas look at my "demon-revision-proposal", maybe this is a better place to discuss this. Then the weavers may even go up - as soon as Artemis has decided something about it.
Ah, yes, the southern santharian tribes - well, I don't think, that they have much knowledge of the weavers left..

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #39 on: 08 March 2007, 12:07:00 »

Yes, that is right, fluffy, but, if they really live so long - can they presere their human/elven quality? doesn't it wear out with time? If you live eternally, other things are of importance for you than for mortals.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08 June 2007, 01:33:00 »

I will get on working on some of these changes (now that the weekend is come!), but one small note on one of your corrections. You mentioned that this sentence is controdictory, but I think you missed one word in your reading:

Quote:
As for summoning in Caelereth, because no creature is passing through an dimensional barriers, the fabric is unaffected.

No creatures passing through the barrier when you're move a terap from the Aurora Plains to the city of Bardavos (for example).

The rest I will work on. I need to add a lot of details. Is Artimis around to help me out with some of the things concerning her continent?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #41 on: 08 June 2007, 01:50:00 »

Note on Artemis: She went on a 2 weeks trip to Scotland a few days after Santhmoot, so I guess she's still away from the net for another week or so.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Takashi Logan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 07 July 2007, 19:27:00 »

I have to agree with fluffy, overcomming adversity is one of the key sort of heroic ability, knowing you dont have the power to do it, but trying anyways. Without emotions, they'd be like vulcans...

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 07 July 2007, 19:36:00 »

Who weavers are is a mystery. According to elven myth, they weren't mortals. They weren't human or elven or orcish or Dwarven or browniin or anything. They simply were. One this is for certain, though-- Weavers are creatures imbued with an incredible dedication and disicipline. Perhaps they do feel--they cry, they laugh, they dream, just like every other mortal. However, they also have a strong sense of purpose. They are on this plane of existence, this realm, to weave, and thus they do--they spend they're whole life weaving, and when they die, if they die, they see their life as one fulfilled because they held true to purpose.

Tarquet

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 04 April 2007, 03:23:25 »

No one knows how the Weavers are!

I know ;)

Anyway, as a lurkery I'd just like to say I'm glad the Weavers weren't just cut out and forgotten. You're very talented, Rayne.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]