Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Funeral Ideas  (Read 13828 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 June 2009, 12:44:31 »

Some Remusian punishments include sending people out nude into the Frozen Wastes. rolleyes

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 27 June 2009, 20:47:50 »

My dwarves have you all beat for coolness so far (except possibly the Light Elves,who just dissolve into light...) they turn slowly into stone as they die (naturally, not through embalming) and are then tossed (ok, slid respectfully) into a molten lava pit/flow/river.     But yes, I know, that's not a new concept.

How about a culture where the gravely ailing (actually their families) are required to throw a huge party with as much noise and music and drinking as possible, so that the person can expire 'surrounded by joy'?  Perhaps one in which a token of the dead person must be kept - usually a lock of hair which is braided into a decorative shape or piece of jewelry or displayed or woven into a special wall hanging?    A culture which puts their dead wrapped tightly up in the trees for the carrioneaters to 'transmute into air'?   One which reserves a huge canyon or cleft in the earth to drop the bodies into, saying that in this way they return to Earth?   

A tribe which keeps careful track of each individual's personal Elemental strength so that all celebrations - and their death and funeral - may be observed appropriately:  A Fire-spirited girl must jump through the flames of a bone-fire to wed her mate, give birth in a room lit by torches, and when she dies, should be cremated - while her Earth husband may have been rubbed down with red clay on his naming day, buried up to the neck for a week in his coming-of-age ceremony, and then laid reverently in an earthen grave when he departs.

Certain noble families which have their own peculiar customs, such as placing the bodies in carved niches in the walls of a cavern, or in stone caskets, or gilding the face of the dead person, or dressing them in the richest of clothing, or always laying them to rest soaked in oil or wine?    That would certainly add a bit of spice to someone's entry....

Ok, I'm done with ideas.  Your turn!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 27 June 2009, 23:17:41 »

My dwarves have you all beat for coolness so far
--Hoho, Judy, I disagree! ;)  That is a natural occurrence, but no funeral rite in itself...  (don't worry, it is cool). I remember that there was something similar, the trolls? Vesk?
Well, where on earth would you find a Shendar death ritual? ;)  Hopefully nowhere, I invented it.

We should sticky this thread somehow, set a link , so that it doesn't get lost for further use.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 June 2009, 00:12:28 »

Nsiki, please, don't. Not again a project which is number too big. I would not want to do it myself on such a big scale. I fully agree with Garret, that each tribe should have its own funeral ritual, though some can be melted together in border areas or they might be different in great cities. There a different custom might have evolved.

Please, stay to the Eyelians and ask Capher to work with you.

@Valan
Right, me too - but there are so much more possibilities and I would like to see something NEW

I wasn't saying I was going to do all the tribe, Tal' :)
Just though maybe I'd branch out from my people a little bit. Maybe look at the Proudmen's rituals? Yo no se. At the moment, I'm just stirring up the soil as it were, and seeing what delightful nuggets lie underneath!

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Grendal Thornfist
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 7

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 June 2009, 00:27:12 »

I've got some ideas for a funeral ceremony fer the Morgerim. Involving pyres, feasting, ale, death chants, and removal o' the heart. It is an entry that I have begun (but not posted) I'm just waitin' on the go ahead from Miss Judith 'cause we don't know if they have been covered (still tryin' t' get hold o' Thuja).

"Ahh, ye sould ha' been there m'lads. Axes were flyin', bodies were fallin', and the ale were flowin'. Aye, it were one hell of a party.
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 June 2009, 00:39:12 »

Ice Tribe/Remusian funeral rites have included over the years:

leaving the bodies unattended in the Frozen Wastes, then observing which beast ate the remains, and that person's life being symbolized by that animal

placing the bodies in niches carved into the walls of underground caverns, complete with items for the next life

placing the person into a big stew pot and serving him to the community so that person's essense is shared with the clan

a private ceremony where only the family is present when the body is left in the wastes, or dumped into the Bay of Calinth

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Darbul Runestained
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

Written In Stone

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 June 2009, 01:04:25 »

Grendal, remember that ALL dwarves are subject to the reuniting with the Unn'Sthommeronns (sp), and turn into stone a while after death.

It would be fun to get permission to make some changes for certain tribes though. Liquidifying Dwarves!

A dwarf standing on the shoulders of a giant may see farther than a giant himself.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 June 2009, 01:47:02 »

Actually, it would be interesting to have one tribe turn their "stoned" dead into a statue hall of some sort.
Perhaps the greatest way to perform damnatio memoriae is to have your corpse not included in that hall (destroyed, or some similar fate)

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Darbul Runestained
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

Written In Stone

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 June 2009, 01:59:13 »

Sounds like the Kiingerim would like that.

A dwarf standing on the shoulders of a giant may see farther than a giant himself.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 June 2009, 02:00:10 »

Glad to be of aid. I really should get back to working on the yoyarr. I had a dwarven name for it in there.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 28 June 2009, 07:47:15 »

@Nsiki:
So thinking of doing an entry on funerals in Santh, and those who go about presiding over them. May just start with Eyelians, but probably not :p

That sounded more than that you wanted to do all of Santharia, kinda a sweeping blow (hey, I hope the dic got that right!), so don't lie to yourself about your intents.  :P  If you want to think about how one special tribe apart from the Eyelians do it, e.g. the Erpheronians, then ask the author of the tribe (in this case mostly Art), if that is ok. Your undertaker idea might work in big cities only though, so why do you not take an Erpheronian city and apply this to it?

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Grendal Thornfist
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 7

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 June 2009, 07:48:31 »

Yeh I remembered that after. Spontaneous combustion mebbe. If'n they be in the Celeste mtns that sulfur can't do good things fer the heart. Hehe "Lad did I ever tell ye about the ti..BOOM!"

Miss Judy c'n I blow up when I die?
« Last Edit: 28 June 2009, 07:52:15 by Grendal Thornfist » Logged

"Ahh, ye sould ha' been there m'lads. Axes were flyin', bodies were fallin', and the ale were flowin'. Aye, it were one hell of a party.
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 June 2009, 12:25:48 »

Sorry, bad phrasing on my part Tal', didn't mean to say it like that. If other tribes want to borrow the Guild of the Macabe, they are free to do so, but I am designing them for a highly populated Proudman city.

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Yurie Yileen

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 July 2009, 00:57:09 »

When I think of Eyelian burials, I get an image of something akin to Tibetan sky burials.  Maybe you could work off that?

Another interesting burial practice I've seen was in Ghana, where coffins are made to fit the deceased person's life; a teacher's coffin might look like a book, whilst a chain smoker might get buried in a huge cigarette!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 09 July 2009, 03:58:05 »

The sky burial thing sounds interesting... The Ghana ideas on the other hand sound somewhat weird... ;)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]