Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Krumhorn Beast with Susilgerim Dwarf rider pic  (Read 3277 times)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« on: 11 October 2009, 23:15:28 »

Well after I finally got out of that swamp I began walking around trying to find someone to help me.  I eventually happened upon this nice Susilgerim dwarf who informed me I was in the Heath of Wilderon.  And apparantly I was lucky I didn't run into any Orcs.  

I was most fascinated by the dwarf's mount :D.  A Krumhorn beast.

Comments welcome

Krumhorn Beast
Susilgerim Dwarf
« Last Edit: 20 November 2009, 18:36:17 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2009, 01:21:05 »

Ah... I see already another picture in the making! grin - Let's see what we have to comment:

The beast itself looks already pretty good - head, body, tail, feet, I guess its very much as it was intended to be given the description! The armour also really looks 3d-ish, so pretty much realistic at that, also given the textures it features, very impressive!

The landscape as such is a great idea to embed the beast in its natural environment, so it is meant to show that epic quality of the scene! The mountains in the background, the sky some plants in front (Have we got a name/entry for them? If not - there's something someone could write...) - good ideas, nice perspective we get here!

What doesn't work so well at this version is that the landscape still looks - literally - a bit "flat" compared to the impressive beast. There could be some uneven terrain, some mounds, hills etc. - right now the area looks a bit too simple for the Krumhorn to stomp through, which goes a bit against the detailed drawing of the beast itself methinks. Maybe some larger rocks/stones here and there could also work to get some variety in the foreground of the picture (or to the left behind the Krumhorn).

Also, the beast seems to stand on the ground and is barely sunken into the earth, which I think with that kind of weight is a bit unrealistic. Even the footprints behind the beast could be made deeper.

The dwarf: Love that pose, and those spears, really cool!  cool The dwarf's right hand (left from our point of view) seems a bit unrealistic though, a bit too high maybe, maybe a bit too thin? The face could also need some more details methinks, it doesn't appear to be on the same level of detail as the beast.

But other than that it's already right now an impressive work, well done! Therefore: Aura +1 once more, Seeker!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Aaron Silverleaf
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2009, 01:54:41 »

Great picture. I wish I could draw like that. But I agree with Artimidor the background is kind of flat compared to the mount.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2009, 08:48:07 »

The beast is amazing!  I love the light and the modeling - definitely one of your strong suits.  His skin is touchable, the horns wonderfully baroque, and the eye, mouth, and jointing very convincing.

Where I'd advise more work (apart from the afore-mentioned) is in texturing and building up a sense of detail and 'finish'.

in fact, I don't think you need to add any more 'dimension' to the landscape or it will look cluttered and distract from the central figures....what it needs is texturing.  Mottling, layering, dappling, grasses and pebbles and VISUAL depth.  They can be suggested, not necessarily drawn in point by point or line by line, but using a overspray of five or six different colours and textures on very light opacities will build up a texture that will give realism and interest to your ground.

As to the dwarf, I'm delighted to see another Susilgerim.  His pose is striking and the initial design of his face suggests character.  I like that you kept the rangy look while still making him clearly not just a 'short human'.  I would suggest, though, as dwarves really don't like the light (thanks for putting him in a dawn light environment rather than blazing noon!) that he either have his cowl up around his head more, or - to add just that little bit more interest into the picture - that you create a slightly more elaborate saddle fixture with a back 'horn' curling up from behind the rider that supports an irregular canopy made from large leaves.  From a practical POV it would break up the silhouette of beast and rider, provide both shade and camouflage and protection from rain, and add a suggestion of the clan's culture - while from an artistic one, you get to create a central focus point behind your rider's head rather than the simple sky.    Whaddya think - achievable?

Once again, a great illustration with depth, character, and your characteristic energy.   Bravo!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2009, 22:41:12 »

So that's what a krumhorn beast looks like! Fantastic job. I agree with Judy about the dwarf and saddle. Otherwise, another worthy addition.  :D

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2009, 02:11:24 »

Thanks so far guys.  :) One comment, it was my impression that the dwarves did not use saddles while riding the Krumhorn.  The entry seemed to imply they sat directly on the natural armour of the beast.  Perhaps  Morden can comment and clarify that for us? I definitley missed the fact that the dwarves are sensitive to light.  If Morden prefers not to have a saddle I can either 1) dim the sky down a bit so it is not so light, or 2) put a hood on the dwarf.  Either way this is a good point.  Lets see what Morden thinks.

Oh and thanks for the help on the background,  these are all great suggestions.  I will have the background as a standalone pic at the end of this.  However we don't have an entry for Heaths of Wilderon.  Maybe it can get used somewhere. undecided

BTW I have a pic of the Cavernfire bush ready to post.  I think I will post it tonight. :)

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2009, 02:42:20 »

However we don't have an entry for Heaths of Wilderon.  Maybe it can get used somewhere. undecided

This looks like a job for Super Altario, Remusian Man of Light and Honor!

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2009, 04:49:52 »

Splendid picture, Seeker!

Would a stronger shadow help to add realism? The beast's front right foot (front left for the observer), for one, seems to cast no shadow at present?

With all of your pictures of beasts, I always think they're going to roar at me, or growl, or hiss - depending on the beast. It goes to show how expressive you know to make them. A great talent!
« Last Edit: 13 October 2009, 04:53:36 by Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang » Logged

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2009, 05:16:16 »

clap

Seeker, you know, now we need our weekly splendid picture from you, otherwise we will be unhappy. We are used to it!

Has a heath such mountains? Well, we could have here three landscapes on this pic.

In the back the mountains are the Imlith mountains, where the Susilgerim live, in between this forest is part of the Shadowlands, in front the Heath, look here

Seeker, if you want those mountains to be in the south (Imlith), then don't forget, that the shadow has to fall towards the observer.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2009, 06:00:39 »

Yep Talia that is right.  I intended the mountains to represent the Imlith Moutains.  The forest was just luck (didn't really think about the shadowlands as I was drawing it) grin

Regarding the shadow.  You are technically right.  (as always :))  I will have to think about that one as I do not intend to change all the shadows throughout the picture.  Would be easier to remove the mountains.

Shab thanks for pointing out the shadow problem on the leg.

Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 November 2009, 11:31:15 »

I think I addressed all the comments here :D.  Obviously I went with the hood and a bit darker sky to address the dwarf-in-the-sun concern.  I also messed around a bit with the background.  And a few other things as well.

Let me know if there is anything else that is troublesome about the pic.
Thanks for the comments  grin

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 06 November 2009, 17:28:00 »

Hello Seeker!

I think, all looks fine now, except his right arm, it looks still a bit arkward, as if it is too short compared to the left one. I know, you want to have it look as if this arm is outstretched as the other, but it works not out.

As I did not know, how to do it differently myself, I downloaded you pic and experimented a bit. It still looks not ok, but better, hopefully. ;)

I attached three of my efforts, I took away from the arm a bit more every time, so that now it looks (or should!) bent.

Have a look, if you think this is a way to go.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 November 2009, 01:25:10 »

Yeah I actually like your versions better  thumbup.   I appreciate that you took so much time to help on that.  thanx Thanks. 

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 07 November 2009, 02:32:11 »

Yay, great changes, Seeker cool - upon comparing the versions you can see the differences very clearly, so the updated picture has a much more organic landscape to show and thus works much better! Lighting/shadows were also changed, also a plus!

And yep, the arm definitely works much better in that other position, the original really didn't quite match - I've taken Talia's version and changed the version on my hard drive to finish the picture and also put some texture on the changed arm taken from the vest. I could use that version right away, unless you want to do the changes yourself and repost it, Seeker. But it's all fine as far as I'm concerned. :)  thumbup

P.S. What about this plant down there? How large is the original pic? Guess it doesn't represent anything specific right now, but would be worth to have a crop of that and add it at least to our resources!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 November 2009, 03:39:47 »

GREAT Art, yes please feel free to use the version you changed up.  Certainly saves me some time.   grin

I'll send you a crop of the plant.  I don't recall the originally being too much bigger.  I'll check when I get home.  Also I can give you the background without the beast and dwarf.  In case it helps.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]