Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Drakelet  (Read 18681 times)
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #30 on: 28 November 2009, 03:13:28 »

On a completely different note than the current discussion:

I did a quick read through and have a couple of thoughts to share.

In additional, they do not have nearly the intelligence of drakes,

I am hoping to be able to revise the draconic aspects a bit on the site,  and with the recategorization of the drakes/dragons, I am not sure how well this particular statement may stand. I have no qualms with it, but the ideal would be drakes =/= dragons, and some drakes would be quite "low" on the intelligence chain. Just something to keep in mind. :)

Along each of the branching bones are layers of fingernail-shaped scales, slightly larger than many of the other scales that cover the dragon’s back and head. The dragon has only a bit of skin connecting one branching bone to another, though the scales cover it well and, in doing so, give the wing the appearance of being feathery.

Going back to part of my previous comment of my hopeful revision of the draconics on the site, drake and dragon would hopefully not be so interchangeable, and would be different. Granted, this may not make much of a difference with this entry, as you are merely stating appearances, but something to think about. :)

They have very poor sight, and while it is assumed that they can tell color, they commonly get things mixed up.

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30 November 2009, 12:50:59 »

A little elf appears in the thread in a whirl of mountain leaves and ladybugs. Content at having spent a relaxing four days up in a cabin, where she productively wrote one essay, three term papers, and read a book along with a few intriguing articles, she wanders in refreshed and ebullient.

Rayne, I don't know what you are exactly looking for in terms of an argument for or against decimals. Does Arti have to come and lay down an ultimatum before this entire thing is brought to rest? Must it really come to such a stance when it would be such a simple task to do as everyone has already requested and brought forth the Board's Ruling?

You will quickly turn everyone off to reading your entries, if such an attitude is portrayed by you when people attempt to give you direction on how the board works now. You aren't as active as you used to be, so even you must get used to new rules and regulations put into place in your periodic absence. We aren't ganging up on you, but merely trying to explain to you "things change", and even oldies need to accept it. Change happens, and exceptions aren't exactly made just because "I started here before ya'll" and "I remember these entries which are 10 years old". It isn't fair to those around you for you to try to make yourself an exception to the rules.  

I love reading what you bring to the boards, but I don't like reading pages upon pages of what this is turning out to be, especially over such a little aspect of the entire world.

One must ask: Is it worth it?

Seeing that the discussion related to decimals has thus turned personal, with explicit and implicit attacks directed at her person as opposed to her arguments, she disappears from the thread. These, after all, are not the kinds of discussions in which this little elf takes part. No hard feelings, of course--just personal preference.  heart

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 30 November 2009, 19:00:06 »

*drags the little elf back, though with tender and loving hands*

Rayne, my dear,  heart heart heart snap out again (if that is an understandable expression, freely translated from a German colloquial wording) and  give you ok to the non-decimals! Please don't act like a offended child, you are too old for that now. Acting like this means you lower yourself on the level of those you think have offended you.  Come on and let us finish this submission for good. I promise to try to get a picture of that drakelet!
hug
« Last Edit: 30 November 2009, 19:04:04 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 30 November 2009, 21:04:22 »

(That's a perfectly good english expression Talia)

While i see the logic of Rayne's arguements, i would personally agree with Rookie's point of giving a more mideval feel to an entry if decimals are avoided whenever possible.

As a result, i don't allow decimals in any plant entries i come across, and instead advise the writers to make the measurement less definite, rounding up or down to the nearest ful or half unit, or to change the used unit to one that can be fitted in without decimal points (thank the gods for nailsbreadths!)

And realy Rayne, it's just a decimal point... don't let it hold your brilliant little dracoids down!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01 December 2009, 01:52:56 »

And realy Rayne, it's just a decimal point... don't let it hold your brilliant little dracoids down!

One might say the same thing to you and others arguing against the decimal! I am a believer in that the author's opinions should have priority in their entries (within reason of course...). If she wants the decimals, let her have them. Is it really going to kill the Dream for everyone if the Drakelet entry has a decimal or two?

You tell Rayne its not worth the argument, yet I would like to ask everyone else, is it worth it to you? This is the kind of thing that halts creativity and keeps things from getting done: debate over minutia.

And it drives people away. Let it go. Blarrow this already.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #35 on: 01 December 2009, 01:57:43 »

Azhira, please answer my questions above.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #36 on: 01 December 2009, 02:14:48 »

Note: I might have preferences on certain issues, which I've stated, but I'm also among those people who don't take the Dream as seriously as others do. And if I cannot convince someone not to make a decimal point for the sake of man- and elfkind it doesn't lead to any sleepless nights for me.

So yep, once I see that insisting on something leads to a whole row I better back off and weigh what is more worth for me. Decimal points aren't worth it for me to make a fuss out of it. I can also live with the attribute "inconsequential" or "inconsistent". If I see minor cases like this I prefer that people are happy with what they contribute rather than some members being happy that the site is more perfect the other way.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Lorek Sarnif
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 5

Intrepid Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 December 2009, 03:12:38 »

My final thoughts are I can ignore the decimals if everyone else can. While they arne't appreciated by many, they don't annoy me too badly. Doesn't really make a difference, I'll just keep this little fact in mind. Also, I'll keep in mind what you said about conjunctions starting sentences. Maybe I can use it to give my professor a heart attack. ;)

Val, that joke was in very poor taste. If you'll also note, my other points were correct and one is presently being needlessly debated. I wish I never would have mentioned the change.

In conclusion to Lady Rayne, my echoing applause to a well-done entry. Very happy to have you back around the boards. Some acquaintances of mine on here speak rather highly of you.

~A choir of volcanoes screams his name as the gates to the abyss spring from the ground to welcome him. His muscular form crosses into the fire's glow as he departs from this topic. Once inside the portal, he turns with a fang laced smile, winks, then shuts the door behind him with a quiet click.~

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 01 December 2009, 03:15:51 »

Art, that is all correct, but you didn't answer the questions either what to say to those who "obeyed" the "requirement" not to use decimals. Because they now look silly as we do, who tried to tell those former contributors to write according to the habits of the dream. A habit which you supported and we tried to bring across convincingly, because you said, you preferred not to use decimals.

It would be nice to know, when consistency is wanted on the site and when not. I recall well a time when it was very important to you. In this case it would be very easy to handle.

I don't  think, that it was Rayne's wish to be the cause of such a discussion.  She said she would be open to persuasion, and Rookies post was excellent. Azhira's post and yours did not assist this case.

Edit: Looking at Lorek who posted while I wrote I see just one thing: It is a very small and tiny thing, but it gives me the impression, that it goes downwards with the Dream, if we are not able to agree in such minor things. It is not really necessary or important, but it shows  .. lacking teamspirit? Persistence in minor things just to be right after all? I don't know how to express my feelings correctly, but they are not very positive right now.
« Last Edit: 01 December 2009, 03:21:42 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #39 on: 01 December 2009, 03:22:31 »

What I say to them? Please don't use decimals, I guess they don't fit into a medieval world.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 01 December 2009, 06:20:50 »

And it drives people away. Let it go. Blarrow this already.

I don't think she addressed the issues I mentioned in the first post of the third page, ones which had nothing to do with decimals.

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Eldor Delrossa
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 21

Researcher of Brownies and Magic

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01 December 2009, 08:05:33 »

Please. My God people! This discussion is driving me crazy. I implore you all to see the reason in the fact that having this discussion is no help to anyone. All it is people finding a reason to argue. I am not naming names, I would just like it to stop. You all are respected members and webmasters of the Dream. Please, be an example for us lowly Apprentices. If we see all of you fighting over something as petty as decimals, it leaves a negative impression on us, and makes us feel as if such behaviour is acceptable. I personally hate to see others argue, especially when said others are friends striving toward a common goal: to Dream. I realize I am only an Apprentice, and it may not be my place to say such things, but come on. Let's act mature here, and have fun. Arguements such as this are not what one would call 'fun'. Plus, it may deter newbies who may be visiting the site and thinking about joining. All I ask is that we stop the arguing and just go with the flow. Make up, be friends. I hope I am not offending anyone, but that's just the way I see things.

@Rayne: Lovely entry. Your writing is very excellent and holds my attention well. I do ask that you please return and finish it though. It'd be a shame to see this not go up on site. heart

"The trials and tribulations of Brownies over the centuries have made them wary of humans. I am humbled to be called 'Brownie Friend'."- Eldor Delrossa
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 01 December 2009, 08:34:39 »

Rayne makes a slight gagging sound as she's pulled back into the thread. Like a cat forced into doll clothes or made to take a bath, she looks slightly discontent, locks of her dark hair falling over her disgruntled eyes. This, of course, doesn't stop an ebullient little paper bird from fluttering out of her robes and landing on Talia's head, warbling.

In general, Rayne finds arguments that have turned personal generally stay personal until tempers have cooled enough to bring the discussion back to a more logical, rational plane--out of pathos back into logos, so to speak. She doesn't see leaving a conversation of the emotional kind to be lowering herself, but rather removing herself from the heirarchy completely.

The little elf takes this point to reflect: after all, she has written a great number of entries on the board in her time, and read many more than she has written. The notions of consistency is an important one. Unfortunately, that's not the issue here: tens if not hundreds of entries use decimal points to give dimensions and weights.

For as long as Rayne has been writing on the boards, people have been referring to the medieval period to launch platitudes against certain terminology and innovations. But, in the last ten years in Santharia, great many artists have created a plethora of songs, poetry, stories, paintings, etc. New organizations have propped up. The dark-haired elf regrets to tell those who have invoked the term "medieval" that, practically speaking, Santharia has moved out of the medieval: it has launched full-force into its Renaissance. The community as a whole needs to decide what it will allow to stay medieval and what it will allow to come out of the Middle Ages.

In addition, as mentioned before, Rayne is not fond of hierarchies. She is fond of Artimidor (and here she blows him a kiss--he is so wonderful), but Artimidor, for this little elf at least, is not above questioning. The "It must be so because Artimidor said it should be so" is not a convincing argument. Authority does not replace logic (arguing from such a standpoint is actually an ethical fallacy). Neither is the argument, "Everyone else is (now) doing it" (this is an emotional fallacy).

On team spirit: whether or not the members of Santharia agree on a decimal point, at least to Rayne, reveals nothing concerning team spirit. The allegiances built on this site did not come out of complete agreement, but, in fact, in considerable DISagreement. Rayne has been in a multitude of arguments with not only Silfer and Mina concerning magic, but also Talia and Artimidor (and Artimidor can surely relate the frustration of these arguments, and here she blows him another kiss--he is terribly patient). This little elf does NOT sacrifice her beliefs or ideals--and in this community, she has never had to: she could debate her ideas, and no matter how different her ideas were from any one else's, somehow, both parties could always find a common ground, and recognize that both sides were debating, not out of malice, but from a common love for this project, a common desire to make it better.

And it is that commonality that creates team spirit. Not agreement on a decimal point.

Just a note: Rayne has not changed the entry at all since it was posted. She is not ignoring anyone's commentary, but is rather lazy (and unsure how this whole decimal point issue will be resolved)--and has final projects due in her classes, which complicates the whole matter significantly.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #43 on: 01 December 2009, 18:49:50 »

Oddly, i'm reminded of Remaom now.. that is, i believe is was that particular little blemish on our project that argued that he should not have to change his own opinions for the sake of others. (He was right, by the way, under the premise that he'd leave other people alone.)

How awfull a concept to associate with Rayne.. (damn it Elf, you messed up my writing style! It's not supposed to be all flourishy! ;))

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 02 December 2009, 08:44:47 »

Rayne appears to gesture to the changes she has made in her entry. She hopes that her solution to the decimal point dilemma will be accepted. She bows, and vanishes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]