Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Frost Giants and Icelands Myths  (Read 35017 times)
Azhira Styralias

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« on: 02 November 2009, 11:57:49 »

Do we have frost giants, or some kind of giant race, among the Icelands or other frosty areas? I am proposing a race of giants (extinct perhaps) that live in the Icelands of Aeh'Os'th'er'oc in Caaehl'heroth. I don't want to step on toes or steal ideas (some devs have stuff in mind that never get on-site for example). The idea was to have them exist in the region, hunting pinnip seals and snow drakes. Or, perhaps they are a sort of frozen elemental creature. Maybe the myths go that they are lost "children" of the water titan or creations of the Icelands gods. It would make a neat myth for the Icelands anyhow. If not, I'll use them for my own stuff.  thumbup

« Last Edit: 30 December 2009, 05:15:30 by Azhira » Logged

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2009, 12:17:33 »

I took them as real, and referenced them in my Remusian entry, as coming from the Stone Fields of Peat:

Lyrotal Draconall was a famous explorer, who traveled with a group of warriors and used giants from the Stone Fields of Peat as beasts of burden.  He found them more useful than traditional mounts, and was once credited with exclaiming, about his successes, “If I have seen further than other Remusians, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants.”  He disappeared during one of his expeditions, presumably eaten by one of those giants he was standing on.

I was wondering at some point what I would do to expand on this.  But, having you do it would release me from that chore. :D

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Azhira Styralias

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2009, 23:55:41 »

You should know by now that one of my specialties is expanding, revising and finishing other dev's entries, yes?  lol

You entry speaks of stone giants, but I wanted to know if you had any ideas on the ice/frost giant variety up in the Icelands. If you had plans for something like that, then I can either steal borrow the idea or come up with my own in my own Icelands region.  idea

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Jenna Silverbirch
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

Hobbit Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2009, 01:13:38 »

This probably isn't at all useful, as you're not asking about trolls ;) , but there are ice and snow trolls in the Cyhalloi tundra. Seeing as there are several varieties of troll in the north, perhaps there could be an offshoot race in the icelands who've become more like monstrous giants. And I'm sure I've seen a reference to northern giants somewhere else, if I only I could recall where!
« Last Edit: 03 November 2009, 01:15:53 by Jenna Silverbirch » Logged

The poet's eye, in a fine frenzy rolling,
Doth glance from heaven to earth, from earth to heaven;
And as imagination bodies forth
The forms of things unknown, the poet's pen
Turns them to shapes, and gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name.
-William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
Development schedule

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2009, 01:15:36 »

Ah, I see what you mean.  Though, in my mind, dividing the giants up into Stone Giants, Frost Giants, Fire Giants, etc, smacks a bit of a D&D feel.  If that was how we planned to do it, that is fine, we have good writers here (you among them :D) that can distance themselves from D&D stereotypes.  I was just thinking of going into a different direction than that.

Feel free to sparse them throughout the Icelands Coast.  I would keep them more rare in the Remusia region and heavier toward the eastern coast of the area.  If you are going to follow the giants eat the Ice Tribes/ Ice Tribes eat the giants plan that is stated in the Ice Tribe entry, then try to keep that further north on the Icelands coast.  I did not put that in the Remusian entry on purpose because I felt the Remusians too civilized with enough choice of food to stay away from eating giants and cannibalism, whereas my thoughts on some of the other Ice Tribes might be a bit fuzzier on that distinction.  (yes, I've begun to gather notes on the other Tribes for a full expansion in the future.... it seems having a finger in 100 entries at once is a northern affliction buck)

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 03 November 2009, 01:35:46 »

it seems having a finger in 100 entries at once is a northern affliction

No, not northern...

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 November 2009, 01:41:34 »

pfft... being in contact with the Himiko for as long as you have makes you an honorary northerner at the very least  :P

Azhira Styralias

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 November 2009, 01:47:19 »

@ Jenna - I did think about frost/snow trolls, but the troll entry is very clear about where those types of trolls are found. Its unfortunate since Cyhalloi also has the Ulver, which is a creature I would desperately love to have in Caaehl'heroth!  :P But, what I was thinking was more along the lines of mythical/supernatural as opposed to flesh and blood giants, which brings me to...

@ Altario - Yes, I am well aware of the D&D influence in all of my entries. I purposely change and distance my ideas so as not to be so close other fantasy worlds. As such, my giants idea was more along the lines of "ice creatures" as opposed to flesh and blood, bearded, blue skinned, axe wielding giants. My inspiration came from the four original titans - earth, water, fire and air. The myth could go that these ice titans are children of the original water titan. They live exclusively in the Caaehl'heroth Icelands (not Iol Icelands, as it seems Talia has some ideas for that). The creatures would likely be very rare or extinct nowadays. Perhaps they were used to build Osthemangar long ago, so goes the myth.

Examples:

Think of them as being the ice version of the pendrowe...living icicles that resemble trees.

Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 November 2009, 05:03:16 »

That would be an interesting entry, Azhira. Everytime I think of giants I think or the usual variety, but those monstercicles are much cooler. :)

Azhira Styralias

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 November 2009, 05:26:15 »

Monster-cicles!  rolling

I would mention these "Monster-cicles" in a soon to be written places entry on the Icelands of Aeh'Os'th'er'oc. I likely wouldn't do a full entry on these creatures themselves for two reasons:

1. I hate writing bestiary entries.

2. I wouldn't have enough to write about them since I will likely make them semi-mythical. And whats worse than writing bestiary entries is writing semi-mythical bestiary entries...(mystran and will'o'wisp come to mind as being particularly annoying to develop...)  :P

I'll have a WIP entry up soon. I need to dump all these ideas spinning around in my head.  :P

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 November 2009, 00:46:18 »

Uhm... can I borrow these Monstercicles as part of a myth for my Fire Swords?  That would mean that they either do exist now in the Iol Peninsula, or did, or were thought to have if they are mythical.  Pwetty pwease?  (They would be the bad guys)

Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 November 2009, 01:14:06 »

Perhaps to solve the extinction problem, the Monster icycles could be rumoured as dormant.  Something like the Ents.  They are there but people don't realize it unitl they come to life.  They could stay dormant for hundreds if not thousands of years. Living as part of the icy landscape.  Maybe only communicating through the howling wind.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Azhira Styralias

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 November 2009, 01:53:44 »

@ Alt - YES! You may use them. However, I get the feeling you're going to turn them into large puddles of water in your myth...what with fire swords and all... lol

@ Seeker - A brilliant idea! My concept was that the Icelands of my area are composed of many underground ice caves and tunnels where the icicle monsters dwell. My Kalta'Goor entry already makes mention of these caves on the island. When disturbed, they crack and crunch out of the ice looking like huge walking stalagtites with legs and arms, very pointy and sharp. And communicating through the wind is an excellent suggestion!  thumbup

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 November 2009, 02:15:58 »

Was going to put my Vertan Ice Tribe as Ice Cavern dwellers as well.... the Ice Shield that extends off the coast there would be their home. :)  They went under the Ice as opposed to trying to survive such an inhospitable environment above the ice.  Great mindsez thinks alike. :D
« Last Edit: 20 February 2010, 04:06:55 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 November 2009, 04:08:06 »

Is it OK if I claim the Kura'thun, denizens of the molten pools?  (Fire Giants that are led by a Fire Demon in the Isthmus of Doom and natural enemies of Azhira's monster-cicles?)
« Last Edit: 04 November 2009, 04:19:58 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]