Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Frost Giants and Icelands Myths  (Read 35016 times)
Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 December 2009, 04:26:04 »

Not sure if you are still working on this Azhira .... but I have an alternate idea I would like to share on these beings ability to communicate. Although I like Seeker's suggestion my immediate concept came up as light refraction for communication. Nothing travels faster than the speed of light and it sorta works with your vision of their construction. ~Shrugs~ Just my humble opinion. heart

Azhira Styralias

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 December 2009, 04:33:19 »

I have no immediate plans for an entry. Alt's Fire Blade entry mentioned these creatures in a myth and is about the extent of any on-site mention and he has other plans for them. I am also going to place them in my Icelands area too eventually. I like your idea though! Got any other details? Likely these creatures live in caves, so how would light work down there?

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 December 2009, 04:58:59 »

Where could I reference these caves Azhira? Maybe reading them a bit would help me get some general ideas based in facts.

My wild guesses would be ... snow and ice cause basic refraction, possibly the light is carried to the depths by ice crystals and such. If I am not mistaken you have visible and non-visible light, although describing communication with non-visible light would be difficult for scholars. ;)

Edit: Possibly the 'life' that drives these creatures gives them a subtle light of their own?
« Last Edit: 30 December 2009, 05:01:30 by Emvy » Logged

Azhira Styralias

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 December 2009, 05:11:56 »

That sounds good. The caves I refer to do not exist yet in an entry. I only plan to have them live in caves in Caaehl'heroth's Icelands and the Icetribes areas. I suppose any kind of ice cave would do fine. I had planned for them to live in mountain caves with stalactites and stalagmites. I've no idea how these creatures would be "alive", but I had in mind a myth concerning the water titan as being their "creator". The ice monsters would be a type of lesser water titan that lives in icy areas.

Kind of like this:

« Last Edit: 30 December 2009, 05:13:39 by Azhira » Logged

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 December 2009, 05:27:22 »

Well the exacts probably depend greatly on where you go with these beasties, yet I'll shootout a few ideas your image gives me.

If they remain dormant over long periods, their bodies could work like a prism, keeping the light stored in them. Possibly in dark areas taking hours, days, weeks or years to communicate ... similar to the slow pace of discussion for the ents in LOTR.

If they are a bit more free roaming using a Ximaxian scholars point of view may work. Since their bodies and very essence are adverse to fire (heat) ... possibly light is the property their fire ounia express within their car'all? This could also mean their communication speeds up as they become more active ... a greater expression of light as they animate.
« Last Edit: 30 December 2009, 06:01:54 by Emvy » Logged

Azhira Styralias

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 December 2009, 10:10:41 »

Good stuff! I like the Ximaxian scholar explanation. I was going to keep them mythical and dormant, like an Ent. I would likely have them more prevalent in the Caaehl'heroth Icelands and thus ingrained in orcen lore up there. Altario may have a different plan for them in the Icetribes area, since they are already mythical to the Antislar. Either way, the Ximaxian scholar view fits well and I'll use it in a future entry!  :) Unless you'd like to write the entry, you are welcome to it.

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 December 2009, 01:37:29 »

I'm not adverse to putting them in the Icelands Coast area.  I would try to keep them a bit rare there.  My plan for the Gathorn Mountains is to have them home to many caves, and the northern tip of the Icelands Coast, where the Vertan live, will be rife with underground passages, as they live under the ice rather than above it, including into the ice shelf that will be described there.
« Last Edit: 20 February 2010, 04:06:34 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Azhira Styralias

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 August 2010, 01:49:03 »

I am bumping this. I would like an imaginative, dedicated volunteer to write up the entry on the ice beasts! It's been on my list forever to do but I just don't have the patience for a bestiary entry... :D You would need to integrate mythology from the Ice Tribes especially.

Pretty please??

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 August 2010, 02:49:11 »

I'm willing to try once I get Rekj packed off (hopefully :P). I have an idea to tie them in with the myth of Altario's and his Vertan entry, and would like to try my hand at a Bestiary entry.

However I have never done one before and if a more experienced Devver in this area is required then that's fine. I think I can do dedicated, but imaginative is a bit more, shall we say, fluid? I am sort of getting back into the groove, however (limbering up for school, which may sound counter-intuitive but I do a fair bit of creative writing in English).

Athviaro

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 August 2010, 03:58:18 »

I'm tough when protecting my babies.  Just know that. :)

Azhira Styralias

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 August 2010, 05:16:35 »

Thanks Athviaro!  heart

I would like to have this done (or at least started) sooner rather than later. If you think school will keep you busy and delay this entry, I wouldn't volunteer for it. I am gearing up for some Icelands related entries (I haven't told Alt yet... :P) and want this one done within the next few weeks/months.  thumbup

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 August 2010, 06:03:08 »

No, school shouldn't be a problem. It's actually easier to visit Santh in my room there then at home (no parents constantly asking me what I'm doing), so I can definitely do it. I will do some reading of the template and related things on site (that's the Antislar Blade and the Vertan, yes?) and then get an entry written and submitted sooner rather than later.

So unless there are other takers I will gladly do this. I hope Alt and you will be able to guide me through tricky Icelands stuff, on which I am not an expert.

Athviaro

"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 August 2010, 17:36:52 »

Wait a minute...Are these creatures mythical or real? Just so I know what standpoint to take.

Thanks.

Azhira Styralias

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 August 2010, 01:03:05 »

The frost giants can be considered mythical or real...depending on who you ask! The Iceland tribes probably consider them quite real but rarely seen. The orcs also might consider them real. Of course, the typical New Santhalan sage may find these fanciful tales of ice monsters to be amusing and typical of the savage Northern peoples.

In an entry like this, you'll want to consider both sides of the argument. Write the stories and names given to these ice monsters by the local tribes. You could also provide the explanation given by Emvay above, a Ximaxian scholar's viewpoint. In the end, it is up to the reader to decide. My personal leaning, being a Northern scholar myself, is take the reality view and gather evidence that the monsters are indeed real. But, your compendiumist may think differently.

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 August 2010, 02:01:12 »

Agreed.  The Vertan certainly consider them real.  They destroy them as they "grow" in ice caves.  The Antislar probably consider them real, but have not been seen in many years, not since Bellerius destroyed them with the Fire Blade years ago.  Remusians, and other Ice Tribes probably consider them real.

But, real or not, they are not common by any stretch, thus giving credence to southerners thinking them myth.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]