Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Draconic Categorisation  (Read 20955 times)
Eldor Delrossa
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 21

Researcher of Brownies and Magic

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 19 December 2009, 12:36:38 »

Simply splendid! You've put a lot of hard work into this, and it shows. Lovely entry. Aura +1 from me!

"The trials and tribulations of Brownies over the centuries have made them wary of humans. I am humbled to be called 'Brownie Friend'."- Eldor Delrossa
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 January 2010, 09:58:39 »

One mythical dragon that I cannot believe I failed to mention is my own Ezorrak'ladan. It's basically an undead dragon haunting the Mists. In truth, he is an ancient Ice Dragon who rebelled against the powers of the dark portal and was cursed. I do not have much described of him beyond a section in the Mists entry. I mention more tales and myths surrounding Ezorrak'ladan, but are not onsite yet. I just thought he might deserve a mention in the dragon categorization

The Ezorrak'ladan (lit. "Death Mist Lizard")
Another, even more dangerous and terrible beast, is the dragon known in the orcen tongue as "Ezorrak'ladan" (lit. "Death Mist Lizard"). The myth surrounding this monstrous beast is long, but legend has it that the dragon no longer lives as a mortal soul. Instead, it is rumoured to be a living dead creature forever cursed to haunt the Mists as punishment for the dragon's rebellion during the Third Sarvonian War. No known researcher has lived to study its eating habits (if it even eats at all) or its other ways of (un)life. Almost nothing of fact is known of this creature with only few scant stories that are hundreds of years old. Certainly no one recent has ever seen this dragon and lived to tell of it. For now, most only think of this beast as a myth created by over-imaginative explorers.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 15 January 2010, 15:37:35 »

I will put it here and in the Overview, which would've been a better place to post this lol :)

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 January 2010, 23:48:04 »

I will need to rewrite that overview though before you post it. I don't think of dragons as "mortal souls". What I meant to say that he was no longer a living being. And, I'll need to have a myth concerning him at some point that hints that he was a dragon. Otherwise, how does anyone know? But, the myth is not required now.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #34 on: 16 January 2010, 00:19:31 »

Ok - Rayne and I had this discussion about "Mythical" Dragons. My view is, they had existed at one time, yet for some reason some of the information had been lost about them - perhaps in the WotC. This is mostly just an perception on how I can properly address them rather than changing the entire existence of them.

Just post it in the Legendary Dragon Overview after you rewrite it so I can add it in the appropriate thread.

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #35 on: 23 January 2010, 19:33:55 »

Ok, I went ahead and cleaned this up to the point where only the creatures with entries are listed.

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #36 on: 20 February 2010, 01:39:05 »

Would there be a way to organize the menu so at least the creatures are listed appropriately to eliminate some confusion?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #37 on: 20 February 2010, 03:09:10 »

Unless there are any major objections, this can be done, yup. A few things, though:

1) Maybe that was covered already somewhere, but question: Why is the Blue Drake (size ca. 2 peds) listed under "Great Drakes"? Any special reason?

2) As the "Legendary Drakes" are referred to as "Mythical Drakes" throughout the site I would suggest to keep the name "Mythical Drakes" for these.

3) Also, the descriptions should now replace/update the categorization in the Dragons entry, so we should have at least a paragraph for the new category "Nether Drakes".

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 20 February 2010, 04:15:06 »

1) Blue Drakes will be changed to Dragons. Size doesn't matter when in the differences between Drakes and Dragons as much as their Sentience, which is an addition to be made to the Dragons in the categorization, hence the overview.

3) I will try to write up an overview for the Nether Drakes, but I don't understand enough about them and their comings/goings to write much more than a sentence or two.

2) There was a discussion about "Mythical Dragons" and how the name can be misleading, and I was trying to find a better name for them in the overall, since the entire system was worked on being revamped. The two names can be interchangeable, but the categorization was the first step in the whole revamp process.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20 February 2010, 11:12:29 »

The Netherdrakes are supposedly a dragon from the Netherworld...but I personally do not like that concept. I think perhaps the creature should be something wholly different, such as a Mystran variety, but really huge with the belief that is a dragon taken from various myths and ancient journals. I do not believe them to be "true" dragons.

But, it is not my entry and in my development mind, I don't recognize Netherdrakes as something existing in Osthemangar, the Mists, Shadespell or anywhere except in a lost forgotten corner of the Netherworld.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 22 February 2010, 13:13:22 »

I took the liberty of writing up an overview of the Nether Drakes:

"Whispered legends speak of two varieties of drakes whose origins are believed to be within the Netherworld. The Netherwyrm is a creature whose very existence has long been a subject of debate. What is known of the Netherworld is little, but some dark elven myths claim that creatures the likes of a dragon can be summoned from the dark world of Coor, and likely the very nature of these Netherwyrms is more akin to demonic than actual dragonkind. The Dravilonia is another beast of the Netherworld, but smaller, and is said to have aided the dark folk during the Third Sarvonian War. These drakes were used as mounts for the dark armies and were summoned by powerful clerics of Coor. Like many other creatures said to call the Netherworld their home, the Nether Drakes are not defined by actual fact, but by myth, and their true existence is still debated by scholars."

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #41 on: 24 February 2010, 02:30:43 »

1) Maybe that was covered already somewhere, but question: Why is the Blue Drake (size ca. 2 peds) listed under "Great Drakes"? Any special reason?
I am doing a rehaul of the entire system, and this will include renaming to ensure consistency with creation and rewriting entries especially. I can help with going through and changing the instances where "Great Drakes" are found. There is going to be a defining line between Drakes and Dragons, hence my overviews.

2) As the "Legendary Drakes" are referred to as "Mythical Drakes" throughout the site I would suggest to keep the name "Mythical Drakes" for these.
See part of response to number 1. I will keep Mythical for simplicities sake for now.

3) Also, the descriptions should now replace/update the categorization in the Dragons entry, so we should have at least a paragraph for the new category "Nether Drakes".
Thanks to Azhira, (THANK YOU!), the Nethers have an overview. I don't plan on touching this area of draconics, but it would be unfair to leave them out completely.

Done, and done. Anything else? I know there are some doubled up entries, but this will hopefully be fixed when they are combined/updated.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #42 on: 24 February 2010, 03:53:10 »

I've marked this for integration - seems there's not that much approval of various entries lately, so that should give me the time to focus on menu changes and get things here up to date. Guess we could also do the change to "Legendary Drakes" at least in the menu now, maybe it's not that bad having a different term for these dragons, maybe mythical puts them too much in a really ancient corner - "Legendary Drakes" methinks is a bit of a broader term, which could comprise rumoured drakes (which don't necessarily need to exist, while mythical supposed always had a great historical impact), or even drakes from fairy-tales and what not. So maybe that's a better choice in general, suggest maybe to adjust the description a tiny wee bit in this direction as well, then we have all our bases covered!

Also good that we have a Nether Drakes description as well now, that rounds things up then I'd say! :D

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #43 on: 24 February 2010, 14:10:29 »

I'll see what I can do about the overview to tweak it

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #44 on: 27 February 2010, 03:23:43 »

Well, I tried to start with this, but there are still questions open.

In the current categorization we have "Dragons" and there are two sub-categories. More precisely we have "Great Drakes (Dragons)" as the main category and as sub-categories we have Dragons and Wyrms. That's not the best way to put it, but I guess what makes most sense here would be:

Main category:
Dragons

Subcategories:
- Great Drakes
- Wyrms (=Great Worms)

The new categorization doesn't consider all this and poses problems, as the disction between worms and wyrms (great worms) is gone now. This also results in the fact that there are actually dragons/drakes missing from the new categorization, namely the Sea Wyrm and the Shipwrecker Wyrm.

In the Lesser Drakes overview the wyrms are then mentioned (no mentioning of the worms), and quite naturally the Shipwrecker Wyrm doesn't fit in here anymore.

So: Can we keep the categories as I put it up above and adjust the Lesser Drakes so that they includ worms? I guess there are good reasons why some things were done that way.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]