Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Fanghenge (Manthria)  (Read 9900 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 25 February 2010, 03:17:25 »

Any sign of Grunok showing up to comment on this one? Cause if it's not going to happen soon we might as well integrate it - at least I could take a closer look and if there's nothing that's wrong in a major way, it should go up methinks.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 February 2010, 05:57:46 »

minor spelling error-
man-mad markings
should be man-made
also
is located is located
  needs to be fixed.

Great entry!  it is as if Azhira can sense the types of things I like to illustrate.  grin

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 February 2010, 07:26:14 »

Any sign of Grunok showing up to comment on this one? Cause if it's not going to happen soon we might as well integrate it - at least I could take a closer look and if there's nothing that's wrong in a major way, it should go up methinks.

I have PMed and emailed Grunok a few times since I finished this with no response. I know she said she was busy, but please feel free to take a look Arti.  grin I don't think Grun would want this to sit for too long.

minor spelling error-  should be man-made
also  needs to be fixed.

Great entry!  it is as if Azhira can sense the types of things I like to illustrate.  grin

Thanks Seeker! I found those corrections and fixed. Great minds think alike, yes?  :D

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 26 February 2010, 04:15:57 »

Ok, let's get this done:

Overview.
The spired ruins known as Fanghenge, located along the east coast of the province of Manthria near the port city of Marduran, hold a fascinating, if horrific, history. According to the stories surrounding the place, Fanghenge is made from the teeth of a demon who died in battle with another great demon named Gaurgoroth. The site certainly appears to be a collection of six massive fangs, each three peds tall, protruding from the ground in a last defiant scream of death. The great battle between the demons is told in the popular myth, "The Rise and Fall of the Wizard Clendor". In addition, Fanghenge is said to be haunted by the so-called apparitions known as the watchers. These phantasms are described as ghostly shadows who appear in the darkest of nights. The local folk of Marduran know well to stay away from the area for it is said that Fanghenge is cursed by the spiritual vestiges of the demon that died there.

Description.
According to legend, Fanghenge stands as a monument to an unholy battle between two titanic forces of evil. As such, the area is not a place the locals would call tranquil and quiet. The grounds whereupon the “fangs” protrude is a bleak, grey ("ancient" spelling preferred!) landscape covered in stones and boulders of various sizes. It stands atop a small hill overlooking the White Fish Cove. For a distance of perhaps eight to nine peds around the area, nothing green grows. The ground is but fetid earth devoid of any kind of fauna. It is as if the demon remains below the earth had poisoned the soil for all eternity.

Each of the six fang spires are approximately three peds tall and one and a half peds wide at each base. The fangs are a dull white colour with scratch marks over the surface. Local stories say that the marks indicate evidence of chewing when the demon was alive to actually eat prey. Over the years, the fangs have born evidence of other man-made markings. Scholars of ancient history have theorized that possibly the scratches are of an extinct language not used since the War of the Chosen. Other stories say the scratches were made by strange cultists such as the Greylers (Greylers are definitely no cultists of any sort, rather they are people living outside society conventions, basically hermits or what you'd call a "group of hermits". So that context doesn't really work her I guess. There are other cults and sects you might use here, like the True Vision Cult, which explictly focusses on demons and the like...) who revere the site as a place of worship. Each scratch mark appears to have been made at different times, with some quite faded while others appear fresh, as if made recently.

There are other indications of strange activity upon the fangs, including the dark, faded splotches of red visible on each spires' surfaces. Again, local legend paints a rather horrific origin of these red splotches as human and animal blood. One persistent claim is that Fanghenge is revered by dark cultists who perform sacrifices to the dead demon in depraved rituals. The Greylers (Questionably, see above, though they can be suspected e.g. to have fallen to bad influence when resting around such unholy places which nobody else would do. So that's something you might work in a bit here.) take the brunt of the blame for these unholy performances, though no proof has ever been found that points to them. There is no doubt among scholars that Fanghenge's history and reputation has attracted many unsavory people to the area. Worshipers of Coor, for example, are known to exist all over Sarvonia and especially thrived during the Third Sarvonian War. Quite possibly, sages say, Fanghenge was used as a place to conduct worship to the Lord of Darkness himself in ages past.

In the center of the circle of fangs is a bare ground. It is said that once ever few years, when the moon’s light casts its baleful eye upon the circle, that a hole opens up to reveal the remains of the demon’s skull below ground. The story has spurned many a treasure hunter and eager demonologist scholar to the site to witness such a gruesome sight. However, no one has ever documented such a hole appearing. Interestingly, attempts have been made by explorers who have tried to physically dig into the ground in and around the fangs. Their efforts have been futile. The ground is extremely hard and has withstood all attempts to penetrate it. Despite this, some say there are areas of weakness on the surface of the ground. An old Rat Brownie myth (described below) says that these are possibly Shadow Brownie tunnels dug under the fangs.

Many of those brave enough to visit Fanghenge at night have told tales that a strange fog wafts up from the ground to envelope the fangs in a hungry embrace. There have been few attempts to study this fog as most of the locals believe it to be a malicious curse that bestows illness upon visitors. Still, other researchers have said that the fog is simply a naturally occurring phenomena based upon the weather conditions and the proximity to the coast. These same researchers also seek to debunk the myths surrounding the site by claiming the fangs were built ages ago by nature worshipers. The stone from which the fangs are crafted, they say, is simply granite carved by expert artisans. As for the barren ground, it also is nothing special, they say. Just a patch of earth not conducive to growth. (Could Waudrin Ghortz have researched this? lol)

The entire area of Fanghenge is said to be alive with a subtle yet palpable evil. The malevolent atmosphere seems to deter any natural growth of plant life. The nearest tree grows about half a day's journey to the west of Fanghenge. Also, the local people have long known that the surrounding area of Fanghenge is devoid of any animal life. Local hunters know that no game can be found around Fanghenge. Not even birds fly over it, hunters say. It is as if Fanghenge pushes away life and growth and not even the sunlight can bestow any kind of life upon the area.

Location.
Fanghenge is located on the eastern coast of the Santharian province of Manthria, between the Mithral Mountains and the coast. It lies just a day’s journey west of the White Fish Cove and two days journey to Clendor Tower to the northeast. The port city of Marduran is a three day journey from Fanghenge.

People

The Marduran Locals

The locals of the port city of Marduran are well familiar with the legend of Fanghenge. The city is a large fishing port with many adventurous and wild-spirited locals. The people of Marduran will likely tell many stories of Fanghenge history to anyone who asks. Marduran sits within days travel of a handful of ancient historical sites in addition to Clendor Tower and Fanghenge. Dead Fisherman's Grotto and the ruins of Karthmor are all popular attractions for visitors and locals alike. Marduran is alive with the spirit of the Avennorian people, much of the city's population being the adventurous, wealth seeking type. The locals warn away more visitors curious in exploring the mysteries of Fenghenge. Some storytellers and guides offer their services to those who wish to visit Fanghenge and attempt to discover its secrets. Most of these so-called guides and experts reside in many of the city's taverns taking payment in coin in exchange for revealing the latest reports of strange happenings at Fanghenge. 

The Greyler Hermits

The scratches, stains of red and persistent rumors of cult activity at Fanghenge over the years has given rise to stories that the Greyler hermits have made the area a frequent site of dark worship. These mysterious communities of lonesome people are often blamed for all manner of sordid activity. The Greylers are not welcomed in many areas of Santharia, but the wild and unpredictable spirit of Marduran has drawn these hermits to the city. Knowing full well the reputation of Fanghenge as a place discouraged from visitation, it is likely the local Greyler community would find the site a place relatively safe to conduct gatherings. Greylers are commonly believed to be peaceful, yet they are regarded as a group of misfits, disabled and generally "odd" as a whole. If any Greylers do consider Fanghenge as a meeting place, surely they would not commit atrocious crimes there. It is not their way. At least, that is what the locals would like to believe.

(As noted above, the direct link to a "cult" is a bit far-fetched as far as Greylers as such are concerned, but this paragraph describes it much better - maybe with the addition that people believe that this place actually nurtures evil in people, Greylers could be believed to have turned more evil in this region. And the mentioned demonologist cult could also be linked, at least in the minds of the people living there...)

Shadow Rat Brownies

Gratcha Swath, one of the most preeminent Rat Brownie researchers, who herself is of the Milken Brownie clan, believes that a race of Shadow Brownies may live within some hidden network of caves under Fanghenge. Gratcha's information comes from an ancient myth told by a Rat Brownie clan called the "Red Biters" who live in the sewers of Marduran. The myth, as told below, tells of the creation of these Shadow Brownies when the demons battled to the death. The Red Biters call their shadow brethren the "Prowlers of the Teeth." These Shadow Brownies are cloaked in darkness and emerge every night from their tunnels underneath the fangs. They hunt and prowl the land around Fanghenge for unwary travelers and curious passersby. When the moonlight strikes them, the Prowlers appear as tiny vague gray shapes scurrying about. Brownie lore says that Shadow Brownies are mythical and no real proof has ever been presented concerning their true existence. Nevertheless, the Red Biters insist that these "Prowlers of the Teeth" are very real and very dangerous. Gratcha says that it could explain some of the scratch marks on the fangs since Shadow Brownies are said to possess powerful claws.

Myth/Lore.

The Creation of Fanghenge

The creation of Fanghenge is explained in popular myth known as "The Rise and Fall of the Wizard Clendor". The compendiumist Grunok the Exile was the first to publish the myth in the Santharian Compendium. The tale recounts how a wizard named Clendor, who lived before the War of the Chosen, summoned a powerful demon named Gaurgoroth to build him a great tower. He foolishly made a pact with the demon and promised the creature payment in exchange for his services. The wizard, powerful as he was, enslaved the demon and once the tower was finished, Clendor betrayed the beast and banished it back to the Netherworld. Sometime later, when Clendor's students became skilled enough to summon their own demon, it was the betrayed Gaurgoroth who answered. He exacted revenge upon the foolish Clendor and killed him and all but one of his students. The last remaining mage summoned a lesser demon to battle with Gaurgaroth. The two beasts clashed in an mighty battle until Gaurgaroth at last smote the lesser demon into the earth. While most of its vanquished form returned to the Netherworld, the teeth remained behind, visible in the mortal world in the form of Fanghenge as it is known today. Gaurgaroth was driven away, never to be seen again, at least not by that name.

"Prowlers of the Teeth"

As told by Brownie researcher Gratcha Swath, the myth of the creation of the Shadow Brownies at Fanghenge is a fascinating tale. The Red Biter rat Brownies of Marduran have been telling this myth for ages and have always stayed far from Fanghenge for this reason. The tale begins during the creation of Fanghenge itself. When the demons battled to the death, their fight was long and bloody. Gaurgaroth pummeled his adversary with powerful blows, raining down black blood like an unholy storm. The contest raged into the night, under the smiling gaze of the moon, until at last Gaurgaroth's foe was defeated. The lesser demon's body was banished back to the Netherworld, with his fangs remaining as evidence of the battle.

The story, however, does not end there, according to the Red Biters. When the demons' blood struck the ground, much of the earth was stained. Under the moonlight, from the pools of blood sprang small dark shapes. The blood and earth mingled to create the Shadow Brownies, darkly evil and twisted beyond all imagination. First, terrible little claws burst from the stained ground. What followed were hundreds of tiny heads with glowing red eyes. The creatures struggled out of the ground, pulling themselves up, until finally they stood naked and wet in the chill night. The Brownies (Just a little note on the spelling of Brownies, I really need to add that to the history tables, but this was decided a while ago: A Milkengradian Anactar decreed that Brownies always have to be written with a capital "B" unlike e.g. "humans" or "elves", because there were cases of Brownie discrimination as far as the Milken were concerned. So that's one thing that should make up for that ;) ) immediately began to dig into the ground where the demon fell. Within days, they formed a large tunnel complex underneath the fangs with the entrances sealed with dark magic. To this day, the "Prowlers of the Teeth" still exist and thrive, haunting Fanghenge. Yet another reason to avoid the place if at all possible.

The Watchers

Fanghenge has long been considered haunted by dark apparitions known as "watchers." These phantoms are a well known phenomenon throughout Sarvonia and are said to be encountered around moors, swamps, deep ancient forests and cemeteries. While Fanghenge is none of these things, it is a thought to be a sort of resting place for a demon, so the legends of the watchers inhabiting the place are not surprising. The existence of the watchers cannot be verified as there has never been a truly solid eyewitness account of one. However, over the years, hunters have claimed to have seen vague shadows around Fanghenge at night. These shadows have been described as human-shaped, with barely discernible legs and arms, cloaked in foggy mist. Because they are said to only appear in the darkest of nights, witnesses have only claimed to have seen quick movements of the shadows before they disappear.

-------------------------

Ok, final verdict: Great entry, and I'm sure Grunok also likes it and what you've made out of her initial concept, adding even more spooky stuff :) As I've already said elsewhere: Fantasy sites need a good deal of mystery, ancient lore, eerie and evil stuff, so that heroes have a place in this world, and all this can be found in this entry, rolled into a delicious text which is very enjoyable to read!

Aura +1, Azhira - maybe there are a few pointers I gave that can help you round it up, but it's pretty perfect already as it is!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 February 2010, 05:39:04 »

grin  clap

Edits in Orange.

Great! Thanks Arti!  I think you are correct that the True Vision Cult better fits here. The site is demon-related in myth and lore and makes the perfect place for the cult to rumored gather. I have changed the Greylers to True Vision Cult.

I have also added the reference to Waudrin Ghortz debunking the stories of Fanghenge. Another good idea! I always forget to include Ghortz, not sure why. Again, he was a perfect fit and have included him.

The other minor grammar is included, just not tediously colored.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 February 2010, 18:29:38 »

A Milkengradian Anactar decreed that Brownies always have to be written with a capital "B" unlike e.g. "humans" or "elves", because there were cases of Brownie discrimination as far as the Milken were concerned.
lol So... Big letters for little people, eh? Oh Art - you made my day!

Great entry, Azhira! :)

EDIT:

Ghortz and his allies also seek to debunk the myths

"Debunk" sounds anachronistic - maybe "ridicule" or "expose" instead?
« Last Edit: 26 February 2010, 18:32:20 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 26 February 2010, 23:24:31 »

Okeydokey, Azhira, I'll put it up! Thanks for the speedy update!  thumbup

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 February 2010, 04:07:14 »

Last minute!

I changed "debunk" to "explain" per Coren's suggestion above.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 27 February 2010, 04:08:15 »

Ok, got it :)

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]