Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Dracoid Overview  (Read 7877 times)
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« on: 29 December 2009, 14:19:59 »

To replace the old overview on Dracoids here. The overview was organized with my categorisation in mind, so if things appear missing, they aren't ^.~

Dracoid beasts are creatures which have drake-like qualities, but do not have any true Draconic blood flowing in their veins. Despite this, many races still attribute them as being descendants of the greater beasts. There are many different varieties scattered throughout the world. People find them intriguing and often attempt to domesticate them in hopes of owning, what many seem to believe, a direct yet small cousin of the Dragons.

Following is a list of all the Dracoid Beasts known in the lands of Caelereth, sorted alphabetically:

DRAKELET, THE
Drakelets are small, drake-like creatures about the length of a human male's arm at adult size, not including the tail which is about the length of a forearm. They are reptilian creatures, yet their scales are arranged in succession down their wings, giving the wings a feathery appearance. Their colours vary upon their habitat, but can be changed through diet and surroundings. Generally found around the City of Ximax in Southern Sarvonia, this often causes them some inconveniences from young mages wishing to make them pets, then using the Drakelet's ability to change colour for their own little experiments. They are completely non-magical creatures of an unacceptably small size, but tend to be quite round. Though they appear to be from the drake family, their appearance is the only part that ties them to the larger creatures. In addition, they do not have nearly the intelligence of drakes, nor the strength and prowess.

EINGANA WHELP, THE
A peaceful and shy creature who lives in the Drifting Woods of Nybelmar, the Eingana Whelp is rarely seen by anyone other than the humans of the Ter'ei'Vikh tribe.  It is about one to three peds in length with its tail being two to three times its body. A coat of fur covers its form, and it changes colour depending on the season: blood red for summer, orange and yellow for autumn, white for winter, and bright green for spring. Its ears are small and not noticeable through their fur, but they are very sensitive. The creature also possesses gills, which they use when fleeing for water to escape predators, and it enables them to stay submerged long enough for the predator to lose interest. Though typically not a carnivore, feeding on fruits, berries, and nuts, some will feast on fish during the winter out of necessity.

FALSEROCK LIZARD, THE
Falserock-Lizards can be found where the sun and sand are at its warmest in the Ráhaz-Dáth desert of Southern Sarvonia, thriving off anything it can find which is edible. Though not very large, only about two to three handspans long, it has an interesting ability to blend in with its surroundings and display bright colours to ward off predators when surprised or frightened. Obviously much more than an average desert dweller, its wings and the spikes which run along its spine attribute to drake-like characteristics. For defence, the tips of the lizard's wings are loaded with poison, making it a creature to avoid in various circumstances.

SKYTER, THE
"Sky Terrors", or "Skyters" as they are more commonly known, live close to the Ancythrian Sea in Southern Sarvonia. The forty-five nailsbreadth creatures often taunt the sailors, earning their name, as they look as if sea serpents have taken to the skies. If one gets the chance to see this creature, a Brownie rider may be spotted as the race often uses them as mounts, but most are wild and untamed. The original name the Aohu'o Brownies had given these creatures has been lost to time as each mount has their own name. They are known to come in five various colours: brown, green, blue, grey, and the rare gold; each hue holding a special significance with the Brownies.

VÓL'AÉL, THE
The Vól’aél is an intelligent opponent and a good hunter with a wingspan of anywhere from three to nearly five peds. The name comes from the Styrásh word meaning "one with an eagle's eye". Some legends, from the dark elves of the Coór'hém tribe, suggest it was bred from the Gryph. This, however, is greatly disputed despite the striking resemblance the two possess.The males are the closest in appearance to the Gryph, with the same colourations, while the females tend to have a more greenish hue. Setting them apart from the drakes and the gryph is their beaks, which are multiple colours, each one melding into the next along the entire length. They are only found on the continent of Nybelmar, usually in the Zsharkanian Peaks chasing their favourite meal, the Gaeldorioth Gopag.  

WINTERDRAKE, THE
The Winterdrake, which stands at about half a ped high and a wingspan of two palmspans over a ped, is a bird-like creatures which lives in the northern mountains of Southern Sarvonia. Its strange appearance has baffled many a researcher as it possesses scales, feathers, horns, and hands, making it difficult to categorise. Their name derives from their scales and the shape of their head, which resembles that of a drake, also from the time of year they are generally seen. Its feathers are bright red and white, making them prized by Amanters everywhere, including the fact they are difficult to catch and glean. Small rodents are their typical food source, but if they work as a pack, they are known to take down much larger prey.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2010, 18:25:38 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2010, 17:24:39 »

Ok, I feel mostly happy with the overviews - content wise. I am not sure if the grammar is spot on in places, as I wasn't focused so much on it as I was the information being put in them.

A look over with fresh eyes would be appreciated! Though, I feel this is basically ready for integration :D

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2010, 20:32:54 »

Does that go into that Dragons entry on the site? Just a question. Reminds me to look for that Norrak!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2010, 03:04:00 »

This is the actual Dracoid Overview which is on the site The Dracoids.

It isn't part of the Draconic Overview, which is its own overview here, but titled as "About Dragons", which I am working on as well but it is more complicated than these little ones because of its overall nature.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2010, 10:54:09 »

Looks good, Kali!

One issue if I may point out (actually several) is that the different locations and tribes you mention are not specific enough for a first time reader. For example, Drifting Woods, Aohu'o, Ancythrian Sea, etc...are all known to us familiar with the world, but not to a newcomer who would be reading this for the first time (looking for a Drakelet familiar  grin)

So I suggest adding more specific things like "The Drifting Woods on the continent of Nybelmar...etc" or "The Aoho'u Brownie tribe of Northern Sarvonia..." etc or "The Ráhaz-Dáth deserts of Southern Sarvonia..."

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2010, 10:56:47 »

This is why there are links to the entries themselves in this overview, so we can keep the overviews as simple as possible.

I will see what I can do about adding them without causing too much disruption in what I have written.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2010, 10:58:36 by Kalína Dalá'isyrás » Logged

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2010, 11:02:36 »

I simply mention the same process that Arti advises - overviews give a general description and a specific location is necessary otherwise readers have no clue. I like overviews for that reason especially when researching a plant or beast or something. Say I need a specific plant in Manthria and quick glances at overviews can tell me if one exists there or not.

And, trust me, other people's comments disrupt the flow of what I write all the time.  :P But it makes it more clear in the end IMO.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2010, 11:26:05 »

Thankfully, the Drakelet was the only which gave me a struggle in who to fit it in.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2010, 11:31:42 »

The city of Ximax in Northern Sarvonia?  shocked

Also, there is the Ter'ei'Vikh (perhaps say the "human Ter'ei'Vikh tribe of Nybelmar"?)

And, maybe consider the following, too: "Some dark elven legends, specifically those of the Coór'hém tribe, suggest...etc"

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 08 January 2010, 14:08:22 »

Updates made. Various sentences had to be rewritten to make the additions fit grammatically.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2010, 11:59:56 »

Yes, superb! I think these overviews flow much better. Now, at first glance, a reader can tell what is where and who is what.   :D

One slight issue may be the Vól’aél overview...I am not entirely sure of the wording in that one, seems off. Maybe Rayne can help tweak it, or maybe its just me.

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2010, 12:02:20 »

Some of these, I don't have much to work off in terms of what is available and relevant in the entry themselves. If it seems off, then the entry itself is off and quite incomplete in terms of viable information to put into the overview.

I did the best with what was provided.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2010, 22:07:11 »

No, you did fine!  hug

The following sentence does not flow well for me. Tis why I suggest Rayne peek at it.

Some legends, from the dark elves of the Coór'hém tribe, suggest it was bred from the Gryph. This, however, is greatly disputed despite the striking resemblances the two possess.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2010, 22:55:36 »

I certainly don't mind taking a look at it--though it is already being prepared for integration, it seems. I will still be happy to do a check, though, if you like. Just let me know.  heart

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 12 January 2010, 02:38:49 »

I rewrote it like 10 times, trying to integrate the information you told me to.

It was marked for integration before Azhira made her comments, so ignore it, as it seems to hold no meaning and only when it has the blarrow, do I am seem to get significant comments. Something I will keep in mind for my other entries.

EDIT: I think the main problem was the second sentence. "Resemblances" needed to be singular. 
« Last Edit: 12 January 2010, 02:43:21 by Kalína Dalá'isyrás » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]