Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: City of Ximax: Discussion  (Read 68835 times)
Eldor Delrossa
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 21

Researcher of Brownies and Magic

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 01 February 2010, 05:56:07 »

The main meeting room is in the upper right wing, with an eatery in the southwestern wing, and a large recreational room covering the entire west wing.

Here I meant to say "southeastern" instead of "southwestern". Other than that It looks great! Much better than my version. :)

"The trials and tribulations of Brownies over the centuries have made them wary of humans. I am humbled to be called 'Brownie Friend'."- Eldor Delrossa
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 01 February 2010, 06:27:51 »

Changes made, and integration done!

How comes Inner Borough 5?

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Eldor Delrossa
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 01 February 2010, 06:51:20 »

Funny story about that...I just finished it. Big Grin I think this one is much better than my Outer Borough 6 if I do say so myself. So, without further adieu, I present Inner Borough 5. :)

Inner Borough 5

Lying harmoniously between Inner Borough 6 and Inner Borough 4, and just east of Outer Borough 5, Inner Borough 5 is what most would call one of the most magical boroughs in the City of Ximax. This borough is filled to the brim with various magic shops, making a reasonably profitable income with the concentration of magi in the next borough over. These shops are usually quite simple, with a basic square design, a flat roof, and a small window so that shoppers may glance in and have a peek at the merchandise. There is also usually a small living space on an upper level of a shop, so that the owner may dwell there. These shops are usually stocked up with books, regeantia, tomes, and even enchanted items. Some shops even sell Ximaxian cats or rats as companions to magi.

Potion shops are also right at home in this borough, and are constructed in much the same way as the magic shops. These shops provide a wider variety of regeantia for magi, as well as many items needed by alchemists. Harmless powders for recreational use, to deadly poison of wide varieties can be found at these shops. Herbs and various healing supplies can also be found in these shops. Local mindsmoothers give shop owners a great deal of business when it comes to such items.

Local Eyashenes, as well as those who favour Eyasha, have erected a modest temple for the Goddess of Peace. This temple is located in the western side of the borough, making it easier those coming from Outer Borough five to come to visit and pay their respects to Eyasha. It is a modest white, domed building, with a green leaf from the trinity herb painted above the arched doorway. Inside, their lay numerous white cushions on a stone floor for kneeling, as well as an alter. This alter is positioned at the far side of the temple. A single white candle always burns brightly on each side of the white granite altar. On the center of it rests a bowl filled to the brim with leaves from the trinity herb, always made sure to be fresh. At the front of the alter, a single word is transcribed in gold: ‘Eya’. This is a favourite place to worship for Eyashenes and followers of Eyasha alike.

Inner Borough 5 is more than just a bustling shopping district. It is alive with entertainment. Street performers place themselves all throughout the borough, and there are a great many of them too. They spend all day awing crowds with the amazing spectacles of their magic. Though, one cannot literally play with fire and not expect to eventually get burned. And infirmary lies in the middle of the western rim of the borough. With all of the constant performing, as well as powerful magi running around in the city, there are bound to be accidents that occur, leaving people with a need for care.

There are also rumours of another reason magi would be attracted to this borough. There is a belief that there is an underground guild where high level magi teach those with lesser experience about the forbidden art of necromancy. This guild is similar the the guild of thieves in the fact that there is no proof of its existence. There are those who whole-heartedly believe these rumours to be true, as well as the expected skeptics. Of course, no one can prove them to be the truth, or a well-concocted lie.

"The trials and tribulations of Brownies over the centuries have made them wary of humans. I am humbled to be called 'Brownie Friend'."- Eldor Delrossa
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 01 February 2010, 08:29:52 »

OK, here's the edit. I cut out some repetition and condensed some of your sentences. As has already arisen in this discussion, I really dislike leaving names blank. Keep in mind that, when we're done, we won't be using any of the borough numbers--it will only be the names. I've come up with Maejlen for the name, though this is just a filler.

Please address the issue below, and let me know how you feel about the edits.

Maejlen (Inner Borough 5)

Lying harmoniously between Inner Borough 6 and Hollendale, and just east of Hallowhall, Maejlen is considered one of the more magically-inclined boroughs in the City of Ximax. Filled to the brim with various magic shops, this borough makes tailors to the needs of those magi coming into the city from the Academy. The shops are usually simple, with a basic square design, a flat roof, and a small window so that shoppers may glance in at the merchandise. A story on the upper level of each shop provides a living space for its owner. These shops are usually stocked up with books, regents, tomes, and even enchanted items. Some shops even sell Ximaxian cats or rats to magi as companions.

Alongside these magic shops, alchemist run their own businesses selling a wide variety of potions, regents, and alchemical items. From harmless powders to deadly poison, these shops provide a wide variety of ingredients. While the majority of the patrons are students, local mindsmoothers often shop here for herbs and various healing supplies.

Local Eyashenes, as well as others who favour Eyasha, have erected a modest temple for the Goddess of Peace. This temple is located in the western side of the borough, making it easier those coming from Hallowhall to come to visit and pay their respects to Eyasha. [Why would those in the west be more likely to visit the temple than those in the east?] It is a modest, white, domed building, with a green leaf from the trinity herb painted above the arched doorway. Inside numerous white cushions lay on a stone floor for kneeling. A granite alter positioned at the far side of the temple is always lit on either side by a single white candle. In its the center rests a bowl filled to the brim with fresh leaves from the trinity herb. At the front of the alter, a single word is transcribed in gold: ‘Eya’. The temple has become a favourite place of worship for Eyashenes and followers of Eyasha alike.

Maejlen is more than just a bustling shopping district. It is alive with entertainment. Throughout the borough, a plethora of street performers awe crowds with amazing spectacles of magic. Of course, playing with fire often leads to burns, and therefore an infirmary sits in the middle of the western rim of the borough. With the dangerous performances, as well as the young and reckless magi running around in the city, accidents often occur. The infirmary helps to care for those in need.

Rumours abound of more deleterious reasons for the high magi concentration in this borough. Some speak of an underground guild where high level magi teach young neophytes the forbidden art of necromancy. However, like the Thieves’s Guild no one has proof of its existence.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Eldor Delrossa
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 01 February 2010, 08:50:13 »

Just something really quick: How does Ouniar sound for a name? Just something that came to mind.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 01 February 2010, 09:12:55 »

I would stay away from styrásh terms, even magical ones. While there are a lot of mages here, the borough was actually built by dwarves and the populations is more human and orcish than anything.

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 02 February 2010, 00:35:06 »

Well, I didn't find a -lan suffix, and -ing apparently means 'people of' so it probably won't work very well here as far as I can tell (unless we go for something silly like Governmenting  :D), but -burgh/bury/brough/borough looks like it should work quite well.  I was thinking maybe something like Lordsborough, but I rather like the sound of Dukesburgh, which you suggested, so maybe we could go with that.   :)

As for the square, do Government Square, Palace Square, or Temple Square sound alright, or are they really bad? 

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 02 February 2010, 02:58:05 »

Ooo. Dukesbury? (we have a lot of -burghs already). Lordsborough seems really log to me, but I don't mind it. In the end, it's your borough--whatever you like best.  grin

For the square: I notice that people tend to let "harsher" consonants falls away when they speak. (Think of consonants, in fact--most people say consonans). Perhaps Governance Square would be a better fit? Though they all sound really long to me. It would seem like they might have shortened. But maybe not.

Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 02 February 2010, 09:12:27 »

Dukesbury and Governance Square sound alright to me.   :)

As for length, there are names like Parliament Square, which seem about as long, so I didn't worry too much about it. 
« Last Edit: 02 February 2010, 09:18:05 by Mina » Logged

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 02 February 2010, 10:14:53 »

All right, I've got the piece integrated with the new terms.

Would you be willing to do another piece of this entry, Mina? Perhaps the description for Ximax Academy, or else another borough?

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 02 February 2010, 10:30:09 »

I know this is me being extremely lazy in asking this question ...

But which buroughs are still to be completed?

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 02 February 2010, 20:22:55 »

I'm mostly out of ideas now, so not right away.  I'm going to just wait and see if I get inspired again. 

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 02 February 2010, 22:08:33 »

No rush, Mina! We appreciate your involvement in any capacity. That last thing we need to do is rush you, especially as we know you have a busy school schedule.

*pokes Rayne*  ;)

heart

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 02 February 2010, 22:32:18 »

Good question, Dek! I figured some other peole might be have the same question trying to figure out which boroughs were taken and which were not, so yesterday I made a list of parts that still need writers. It's in the first thread under the "Organization" section.

I understand, Mina. I've definitely slowed down since school started. @_@

::pokes Azhira!:: More pieces! More pieces!  heart

Eldor Delrossa
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 06 February 2010, 13:24:04 »

This temple is located in the western side of the borough, making it easier those coming from Hallowhall to come to visit and pay their respects to Eyasha. The vast majority of Eyashenes live in Hallowhall, making it the ideal location for the temple.

There you go! I've edited that part for you. I'm glad I finally got a tiny snippet of time to do that.  buck

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]