Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: City of Ximax: Discussion  (Read 68713 times)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 06 February 2010, 23:08:44 »

Why would the most Eyashenes live in Hallowhall? This seems like a strange place for them to live, since it tends to be where the magi generally hang out, and the systems of belief are very different.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 12 February 2010, 00:48:22 »

To address the comment about the lanterns from earlier, I did not mean to imply that they would be on at all hours (except perhaps those around the Everbright Shrine) just that they would be needed earlier in the day than in other regions. Which I suppose I should go ahead and simply say in the entry...

Hallowhall (Outer Borough 5)

One the two boroughs still in use following the infamous explosion in 1482 a.S. (neighbouring Feldstone is the other), Hallowhall is the only outer borough associated with the Academy of Magic to any visible and admitted degree or, more precisely, with its students. Found along the streets and alleys of its tall, stately buildings are several taverns including the infamous “Wasted Wizard” and “Valgure's Magical Emporium.”

Hallowhall’s buildings are all very square structures. Made of local granite, they do not feature much of the fanciful construction found in newer districts, though some old buildings have been extended or "renovated,” much to the distaste of some older citizens. Notably, these structures have rather flat roofs, and the buildings themselves grow taller toward the old inner city to the west. Most of the older streets within the district wind and twist around buildings in a maze-like way, except near the borders where the newer construction has forced them straight. This causes the innermost roads to take on a shadowy appearance. Fortunately the darkness is minimized by legions of lanterns hanging from brackets on walls and outside storefronts, which are lit much earlier in the evening than in other areas of the city.

By night, Hallowhall is one of the most luminous and bustling districts since the inn and tavern fare brings travelers home to rest and many from neighbouring boroughs after the day’s light has grown dim.

Hallowhall also houses a very small temple, located not far from the Wasted Wizard, dedicated to Aniyla Everbright. The small building that houses the Everbright Cult seems rather unassuming from the outside, but upon closer inspection, it is festooned with glittering lanterns and candles both inside and out. The temple itself is built over one of the more extended sections of the old catacombs, and extends underneath the streets in addition to its modest aboveground fixture. Rumors abound about magical monstrosities living in this section of the catacombs but despite several recent searches, the existence of these creatures remains unproven, and they are presumed fictional.

The Wasted Wizard, located twixt Shard Street and Xazure Lane, was purportedly built on the original campsite of the founders of the city, a claim several rival establishments dispute quite hotly. The Academy has given no credence to any of these rumors reporting instead that the old records are “painfully inaccurate and fragmented." Regardless all agree that the Wasted Wizard is the oldest tavern still standing in Ximax, a fact which residents from other boroughs do their best to ignore. Established c. 150 a.S. the tavern has survived several dozen incidents of accidental property damage, at least one attempted arson and the usual wear and tear associated with a tavern, in addition to any “strangeness” attached to its arcane patronage.

Much of Hallowhall’s population is human, though its inns and taverns attract more exotic clientele to the region fairly easily. Many of the residents of Hallowhall live above their establishments, and the region is closely tied with it’s neighbour, Feldstone. Any stonework or building done in Hallowhall makes almost exclusive use of masons and architects from Feldstone because these workers are considered to be more familiar with the designs than "outside" help. Workers from Feldstone were the first to help repair damage within Hallowhall after the catastrophic destruction of the city

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 12 February 2010, 11:37:24 »

The Sewers (Rat Tunnels)

Ordinarily, the sewer system under the city of Ximax would not be something worth documenting. Sewers, by nature, are dank, full of horrid odours and dangerously large rats. However, the sewers of Ximax, also affectionately called the Sludge Pits or the Rat Tunnels, holds many secrets unknown to those living above on the surface. Sightings of strange creatures, mysterious ruins and hidden treasures have lured many an adventurer into the city's dark underworld. It is said that parts of the sewers are actually ruins from the ancient under-city that modern Ximax was built atop of. The nature of this supposed under-city has yet to be determined and is a subject of study among some sages of ancient lore.

Of the many sightings of creatures that stalk the tunnels, the ones most familiar to most surfacers are the Rat Brownies. Gratcha Swath, a noted Rat Brownie researcher, claimed to have documented over twelve clans of Rat Brownies, all living in various sections and depths of the cesspools. One of the most documented is the Lurks-in-Bone clan, a relatively friendly and oft-sighted group. Rumor has it that the Lurks-in-Bone clan have a sort of trade relationship with some of the beggars and homeless children of the Underside borough. According to Gratcha, the Rat Brownies take offerings of scraps and food in exchange for lost coins and trinkets that they find in the depths of the drainage outlets.

The sewers also have a nefarious reputation among the citizens as being a convenient hideout for criminal gangs and smugglers. The sewers run underneath every city borough and the tunnels often function as means of travel for those who wish to avoid attention, or more specifically, the city watch. In addition, many a story has been told of dark, shadowy creatures who dwell there. Ghosts of those unfortunate victims dumped in the sewers, zombies, Mystrans and slimers all are said to live in the deep recesses and broken tunnels. To keep the sewers safe guarded against curious trespassers, the city watch locks all sewer entrances and posts warning signs not to venture within.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 12 February 2010, 12:29:54 »

OK, I've integrated Valan's Hallowhall piece with some of my own changes. I have done the best I can given our incomplete discussion of the issues, because I refuse to tolerate what is, in my opinion, childish behavior. Please check it over and make sure it meets with your approval.

I've also added a new section "Places of Interest" and moved the description of the Wasted Wizard here. This keeps the Hallowhall piece from being too long--and adds a spiffy new section to the entry! Let me know what you think.

I've also gone ahead and integrated Azhira's sewers piece: I made very few changes, but you might check it anyway to make sure it meets your approval.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 12 February 2010, 18:56:06 »

I like the description of the sewers.  Very spooky and mysterious.   :D  Has the sewers been extended since the city was rebuilt? 

Found along the streets and alleys of its tall, stately buildings are several taverns including the infamous “Wasted Wizard” and “Valgure's Magical Emporium.”
Notably, the borough’s structures have rather flat roofs, and the buildings themselves grow taller toward the old inner city to the west.
Um, I think the borough is part of the old inner city.  If I remember correctly, the Wasted Wizard and Valgure's Magical Emporium were located in the inner city. 

I'm thinking maybe I'll try to write the Academy section.  Is it alright if it's really short, since it already has its own entry? 

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 12 February 2010, 22:40:00 »

If the borough was part of the old inner city, it would have been destroyed during the explosion in 1482 a.S. All the inner boroughs were wiped out (more or less).

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 13 February 2010, 00:01:54 »

I like the description of the sewers.  Very spooky and mysterious.   :D  Has the sewers been extended since the city was rebuilt?   

The sewers as I wrote them are indeed under the rebuilt city currently. I don't know anything about the old pre-explosion city.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 15 February 2010, 17:48:56 »

I'll try my hand at Inner Burough II ... the relatively large number of inns and taverns, not to mention the Innkeeper's Guild gives me a few ideas  grin

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 15 February 2010, 18:08:27 »

Aleston? Alesburg? Alesbadh? Alesbury? :P

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 15 February 2010, 18:09:37 »

Beerborough cool

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 15 February 2010, 18:29:57 »

Beerburgh? Beerburp?  shocked

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 15 February 2010, 18:35:49 »

I was thinking of giving it the subtitle of 'The Burough Where Everybody Is Too Drunk To Know Your Name'

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 18 February 2010, 20:37:09 »

Inner Burough 2, nestled between Inner Burough 1 and Inner Burough 3 is better known to the residents of Ximax as Hollyale due to the high proportion of taverns and inns on the streets of this burough. High class taverns and inns all the way through to the inns and taverns that even the rats avoid like the plague are in evidence throughout Hollyale. As one gets closer to ___________, the quality of the taverns and inns definitely decreased markedly.

The workers and owners within the inns and taverns of Ximax are represented by the Innkeepers' Guild. This guild sets standards for the quality of taverns and inns throughout the magic city, and this standard provides the public who would use these places with an indication as to the quality of service and facilities on offer at each tavern or inn. The lowest of these standards is called the San, then it is the Od, then the Copperbard, then the Silverbard and then finally the Goldbard. Only the wealthiest of individuals are able to frequent those taverns or inns rated as Silverbard and Goldbard.

(To Be Continued ...)
« Last Edit: 27 March 2010, 17:37:22 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

Eldor Delrossa
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 21

Researcher of Brownies and Magic

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 19 February 2010, 09:21:47 »

Why would the most Eyashenes live in Hallowhall? This seems like a strange place for them to live, since it tends to be where the magi generally hang out, and the systems of belief are very different.

So should I just remove the explanation for it? Or maybe we could change it to being in the center? I'm very flexible with that aspect of the borough and wouldn't mind if you have a specific location in mind for it. Just let me know. :)

"The trials and tribulations of Brownies over the centuries have made them wary of humans. I am humbled to be called 'Brownie Friend'."- Eldor Delrossa
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 25 February 2010, 20:11:54 »

I've not written anything for the Academy yet, but I got bored and messed around with Photoshop a little.  So here's a possible layout of the city.  What do you guys think?  Adjacent blocks of the same colour belong to the same borough.  The light grey represent the central market square suggested a while back, as well as the most important streets.  I guess there are probably many other streets too that break up the blocks seen here into smaller ones, unless the city is much smaller than I thought, but I haven't really got that far.  It was just a quick sketch anyway.   :P

I should probably get back to my homework now.   buck

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]