Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: City of Ximax: Discussion  (Read 68722 times)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: 20 February 2011, 02:11:44 »

A cacophony of clattering, crinkling, coughing, and croaking emerges from the forum, drawing you in to see what insanity has entered this place of torpid silence and caused such a ruckus. You enter just as a hooded figure steps forward, her familiar face pressed with inky smudges, her hair mussed and her robes a confused jumble of cloth. All about her is the dust of months and months, which had settled so thickly here. She turns and sees you, and her expression bears similarity to an deer suddenly caught in headlights.

She quickly straightens her robes and hair, and tries to wipe away the ink stains from her face and fingers (with little success). She clears her throat timidly, then begins:

I am resuming this project. The City of Ximax Entry has come very far and I would like to see it out to its completion, and need the help of all of you to help me do that.

It has been a very long time--due dates are long since passed, and some of the contributors who were here in the beginning no longer seem to be active on the boards, therefore I have unreserved all claimed pieces. All pieces not yet completed are now available to be claimed. Once a piece is claimed, you have one week to complete it, after which someone else has the power to claim the piece.

My schedule is a bit tighter before, and therefore I am not afforded the same sort of time to step in to compose a piece that has not been claimed. However, I will if I need to.

The draft is up-to-date: I have included the piece submitted in my absence (Dek's Inner Borough 2, or Hollyale), and have updated all place names.

For those who are new or unfamiliar with my general philosophy concerning this project: I do not care how long you have been at Santharia, how much you know about Santharia or Santharian magic, or whether or not you have completed you master work; the only things of value to me are your ideas, opinions, and creativity. Give your suggestions, voice your concerns, claim and write a borough; I will do everything I can to help you, and your participation will make this project successful.

With that said, let the project resume!

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 20 February 2011, 05:50:19 »

I'll take on Outer Borough 6.

It is great to get back to this one again :)

Dek

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 21 February 2011, 04:12:13 »

Deklitch--It is yours! I have updated appropriately.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 01 March 2011, 19:49:55 »

Feldstone (Outer Borough 6)
As with its neighbouring burough of Hallowhall, Feldstone is one of the two buroughs still in use following the 1482 a.S. explosion. Other neighbouring buroughs include Ettinsburgh and Inner Burough 6. Home to the architects and masons of Ximax, Feldstone has an ecclectic set of buildings that displays the origins of the builders and architects. Nowhere else in Ximax, or indeed Santharia, can you see the building styles of the Kyranians, Avennorians, Centoraurians, Erpheronians, Helcrani and Zirghurim Dwarves side by side. The studios and shops of the architects together with the shops of the masons of Ximax are located in Feldstone.

The Archiects' Guild is also found in this borough, and is an impressive three storey building made of granite and sandstone. Although this guild exclusively deals with the interests of the architects, it has a close working relationship with the Masons' Guild located in nearby Ettinsburgh. Many of the architects who work in this burough go to either Middletown or Homestead, based on where their houses are, although most architect's studios and shops have sleeping quarters attached, in case the architects have to 'light the darkreign candle' and work through the night to complete a job for clients.

A small, rough tavern has been built in recent times in the centre of Feldstone. This building is highly regarded among the architects and masons for having cold ales, tasty stews and the occasional Fymbal floozy seeking to learn the trade of masonry or architecture from the master artisans among the local trades.

---
As normal Rayne, please feel free to edit as you feel fit! :D

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 01 March 2011, 20:01:42 »

Ok ... as all the outer boroughs have now been done ... could I claim the General Outer Bourough description?

Also, in the various buroughs I've written, I've included some specific places ... would you like me to gather these together and write a bit more of a description on them for them to be included in the 'Places of Interest' section?

Finally, would I be able to claim one or two more pieces? If one, I'll have a go at Tanners Bend, if two, I'll have a go at Market Square as well ... I'm not wanting to get too greedy and take on stuff that others may want to do. :D

I'm also aware that my focus needs to be on Eight Winds Bay ... even though there are only a couple of horridly long sentences there I need to really deal with.

Dek
« Last Edit: 01 March 2011, 20:11:24 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 05 March 2011, 13:59:13 »

Forgive my delay. I've been having issues with my internet the last few days--particularly with cutting in and out and the most inopportune times.

I have integrated your piece, making small spelling issues, but no major changes. I have also given you both Market Square and Tanner's Bend, as requested.

I would also LOVE more to put in the "Places of Interest" section! Any shops, stores, carts, etc. of note. I'm hoping that some other may take interest in helping to fill out this section, like our creative bard and perhaps even ornery (and eloquent) Valan.  ;)

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 07 March 2011, 11:06:56 »

Less so ornery, equally eloquent Valan.

Another refugee from the current Ximax entry, admittedly modified.

Valgure's Magical Emporium is an old, established store located in XXX, catering to the magi of academy. The store is quite large, equal in size to a small manor as the store is built both above and underground. While not the most meticulously organized store, Valgure's is well known for it's ability to have almost any relatively common supplies in stock, bet it clothing, parchment or vellum, books, staves or reagents. The proprietors are also willing to procure less common items for the right price. Valgure's has been established long enough that the Academy has done a brisk if minimal trade with them since 1400 a.S.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #172 on: 07 March 2011, 11:19:12 »

Will gladly write some places which hopefully will be of interest!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 07 March 2011, 12:19:05 »

Jethro's Northerly Noshes

This small, hole in the wall, eatery can be found in the borough of XXX.  What makes this place special is not the food, nor the location, or even the owner and cook.  No, what makes Jethro's famous is the history behind the place.  The original Jethro (as over the years, there have been several "Jethros") was a man from the far north; a Remusian it was later learned.  How he had made his way to Ximax, or why, is long forgotten.  But, Jethro had built himself a fine reputation for creating fine exotic food.  It soon became the place to eat for the elite magi of the time.  What no one at the time knew, but were soon to find out, was that Jethro, like most Remusians, had a deep seated hatred of magi and magic.

It started innocently enough, a few magi became ill.  Then more became ill, and the degree of the affliction was to become much worse.  When deaths began to occur, an investigation was started.  It did not take long to discover that all those who were succumbing to this mysterious illness were all regular customers of Jethro's establishment.  After a quick interrogation of the Remusian, who not only did not deny the charges but was rather proud of what he had done, even disappointed that he had not succeeded in killing more magi, he was imprisoned.  This imprisonment only lasted for a few weeks, however, when his body was discovered in his cell, a look of absolute terror frozen on his features.

The mystery of his death, and the notoriety of the crimes to begin with, made Jethro's eatery a place of fascination.  Many people came just to see the place where these murders happened.  So, rather than shut it down, an enterprising Ximaxian kept the place open and resumed selling meals.

Over the years, the menu has changed.  No longer is exotic Remusian and northern food served, though some of the names of dishes still hearken back to that time in the eatery's history.  Wicked Wison Stew (which contains no wison meat) is still a local favourite, as is Remusian Roasted Taenish and a Snowy Salad (a green leaf salad with a generous topping of white cheese grated on top).

There ya go.  If it doesn't fit, feel free to disregard.  Just trying to get back into contributing.  This was a good exercise. :D

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 11 March 2011, 12:12:56 »

Thank you, Valan! I have integrated your place description.

It is very long, but I would like to add yours as well, Altario--but you must give me a color so that I can color-code your piece! You may choose anything but yellow and orange. If you would like, Altario, you can claim a piece of the entry! There is still a few more pieces I need written up, and you're a wonderful writer!

I have gone ahead and written up Inner Borough 6, as this was not claimed and needed writing. I would like to claim Inner Borough 5, as this is the last unclaimed borough, but I need some help for the name. Perhaps Mageburrow, Mageside, Mageburg, Wizarding, Wizardhill, Magicsend...? Anyone have any ideas?

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: 11 March 2011, 14:01:21 »

Hatsend?
Spelsend?
Wallsend?
Thankgodsitsdone? buck (Thank Niven for that one)

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 11 March 2011, 15:42:36 »

I think that hot pink would be a great colour for Altario ... it matches the colour his cheeks turn when he hears one of the verses that Tharoc brings us from that Smallpiece fellow. evil
« Last Edit: 11 March 2011, 16:39:26 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #177 on: 11 March 2011, 16:58:37 »

I think I'll do the cemeteries, in the next three weeks, if that is ok. For  my unconsciousness needs some time to come up with something first. Do we have any cemetery anywhere already?

Remnants of Old Ximax, that ghost idea challenged me ;)

Myth/lore would be an option for later   grin (but for this I would need more time)
« Last Edit: 11 March 2011, 17:03:25 by Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 11 March 2011, 21:33:04 »

I'm good with the Hot Pink.  Matches my underwear. rolleyes

EDIT:  @Rayne Knowing very little about Ximax, nothing aout Mages and magic, I better decline your offer.  Though, I thank you for the offer and your wonderful compliments. :)
« Last Edit: 12 March 2011, 21:40:17 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 14 March 2011, 07:25:30 »

Tanner's Bend
Tanner's Bend is the part of Ximax City where the tanners of the Xaramon capital engage in their trade of making leather out of the rotting carcasses of a variety of dead animals with horses, cattle, deer and reptiles being chief among the animals used. This section of the city, together with the people who work here, has a distinctive fragrance which is the reason why it is in a bend of the river away from the city proper. The tanners cure the hides and prepare them for manufacture into a range of leather products including boots, bags, jackets, weapon handles and riding equipment. The various guilds in Once the goods are manufactured, they are sent to the Ximax city market square and places further afield for sale.

Umm ... sorry, I wasn't very creative in the above post ... happy for additions/suggestions to be made to it :D

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]