Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: City of Ximax: Discussion  (Read 68717 times)
Eldor Delrossa
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 21

Researcher of Brownies and Magic

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: 24 January 2010, 09:39:36 »

Yes that's perfectly fine Rayne. :)

"The trials and tribulations of Brownies over the centuries have made them wary of humans. I am humbled to be called 'Brownie Friend'."- Eldor Delrossa
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 24 January 2010, 11:02:31 »

Hi Rayne,

If you could edit and integrate the buroughs, that would be great for me.

I'll be happy to incorporate a bit into Middleton about a funeral house ... would having it run by a Mr Sowerberry, and with undertaker mutes following behind the funeral procession with features fixed in a suitable expression be a bit much? <G>

Sewers etc ... would there perhaps be something like old connections between the sewers and the catacombs beneath the academy? or at least rumours of same?

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 24 January 2010, 11:18:04 »

Do you think you might have time to write up one or two?
Hmm, maybe I'll try inner borough 3 (the government one) if it's not taken yet.  Actually, a second reason I haven't claimed anything so far is that I don't feel I'm a very good writer.  But perhaps the relatively short length will help. 

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 24 January 2010, 11:23:54 »

@ Mina:

Yes! We'd love to have you do a borough or two, Mina! Fantastic! Don't worry about your writing. I still develop, and look at my atrocious written word... buck +1 Aura for you!

@ Rayne:

Consider the sewers and old city ruins done. Give me a few days. Time for another Rat Brownie tribe! *giggles*

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 24 January 2010, 13:07:29 »

Mina, don't be silly! You're an extremely clear and concise writer! I can tell by your posts that you know how to write, and write well. If you're worried about how to phrase things, that's what I'm here for. I will spend as many hours as I need to editing if it means I can get your name on this entry!

And I've been using this color for you. Is there another color you would prefer? You can look up the HTML Color Codes and see which color you'd like.

Azhira, I've gone ahead and signed you up for The Sewers and the Remnants of Old Ximax.

Dek, I have your edits. I moved things around and took things out (I don't think the the Academy students would often be outside the Academy). Let me know if I've crossed my boundaries, and let me know how you feel about the edits:

Middleton (Inner Borough 4)

Nestled between Inner Borough 3 and Inner Borough 5 and north of Homestead, lies Middleton. The borough is easily identified by its collection of upper class, two-story houses built primarily in the Centoraurian style. These Centoraurian buildings are constructed of granite and marble, and as in other parts of Xaramon province, the style borrows heavily from the Helcrani.

In order to protect themselves from the peasants of Homestead and the seedy underbelly of Ximaxs Underside, the residents of Middleton (often called Middletonians) have followed the Helcrani practice of building walls. Rather than constructing these walls around individual buildings or houses, Middletonians have instead encircled their entire residential district. To further prevent riff-raff, they employ armed guards to patrol the inside of their gated community.

Within the walled part of their borough lies a popular coffee house. Named Marcalms after the Erpheronian who owns it, the shop serves as a meeting place for residents. After some Middletonians expressed worry for their 'poor brothers and sisters' in Homestead, a temple to Nehtor was established outside of the gated and walled part of their borough. This temple houses a small infirmary that will gladly treat any Ximaxian, regardless of station.

Finally, Middleton is home to a small music hall. Like the temple and infirmary, it lies outside of the walled and gated part of the borough. Here, the residents of Ximax watch various types of entertainment, which tend to combine music, dance and drama into a continuous story. In addition, this music hall is home to the Dancer's Guild. Despite the name, this guild serves not only dancers, but also for musicians, actors and all kinds of performers who call Ximax home.

Homestead (Outer Borough Four)

The borough of Homestead lies south of Middleton and is between Underside and Outer Borough 5. It is here where most of the people who work in the various shops and guilds in Ximax live and play. Unlike Middleton, with its ordered streets and gated community, Homestead has open spaces around the one- to two-story houses that make up this borough. Like Middleton, these houses are built in the Centoraurian style.

As is the case with the Ximax Academy students, the children and youth of Ximax City enjoy playing a range of games in the streets, as well as in the recreational hall and on the recreational field of Homestead. Such games include Breakitdown, Kikkitdown, Goal Ball and Kikkit and most of the guilds throughout Ximax City have teams of young apprentices that compete against one another in the various games. There are even occasionally sports competitions with the younger mages from the Academy.

On the outer edges of Homestead, a grove of trees comprise a sacred shrine to Arvins, God of the Hunt. The Centoraurian Rhodjah Vandageldah tends to the grove in order to keep it in pristine condition for the worship of Arvins. Homestead also has a small infirmary, but because of the better stocked and resourced infirmary in Middleton, it is only occasionally used. It often serves the community by caring for those injured in sports played in the recreation field or hall.
« Last Edit: 25 January 2010, 02:09:27 by Rayne Avalotus » Logged

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 24 January 2010, 16:05:08 »

Well, I hope I don't disappoint.  The colour is alright.  I guess this means the borough is available? 

Maybe at some point we can open discussions for the other things about Ximax that need discussing, like Funding, Admissions, Levels, Magic Education, Non-Magic Education, Graduation, "Governance" (School Council), Teaching, etc. What do you think? Would you add anything to the list?
That's probably a good idea.  Nothing to add at the moment, maybe we'll think of something when we start discussing it. 

It would be nice to have an actual temple in the city, though. You mention the temple being near graveyards. Perhaps the temple might be outside the city, then, connected to one of the cemeteries? Or both? Perhaps it intersects where the two cemeteries would meet? Or maybe it would just be for the cemetery of the wealthy, and the poorer would just have a shrine?
Well, the entry is rather vague when it comes to temples and shrines.  About the only thing it says about the location of temples is "built close to the graveyards".  I guess it is possible to have the temple at the edge of the city and the cemetery/cemeteries just outside.  Or have everything inside, though I don't know if it's normal to have cemeteries inside a city; Nyermersys has its just outside its walls, if I remember correctly, and it's about the only Santharian example I can think of.  Shrines certainly are found within cities though. 

Perhaps Deklitch might be willing to add in a small funeral house in Middleton, where the rich take their dead. From here a funeral procession takes them outside of town, either to Cold Ground Cemetery or another, nicer cemetery, like.... I don't know... "Oak Ridge Cemetery" or something?
I had to look up the meaning of 'funeral house', which gave me "An establishment in which the dead are prepared for burial or cremation and in which wakes and funerals may be held."  Now I see that there might possibly have been some confusion caused by unusual terminology.  Apparently shrines of Queprur aren't quite regular shrines (I decided to check the meaning of 'shrine' too just in case), but rather the Santharian equivalent of funeral houses: "In the Shrines in the cities the dead are usually prepared for their last travel and then are led in a holy procession to the graveyards."

Depending on the size, we could have both: A statue/clock tower surrounded by a market place. What do you think?
There's probably enough space, unless it's a huge tower.  I think Ximax isn't that small.  Perhaps a six-sided clock tower (since the city looks like it's going to be more or less hexagonal) surrounded by statues of important historical figures?  Or maybe images of those historical figures carved into the sides of the tower.  A very quick check suggests the clock tower probably won't be too modern for the time period we're aiming at; apparently the Moscow Kremlin got a clock installed in one of its towers sometime during 1491-1585. 

It feels like there was something else I wanted to mention, but I seem to have forgotten what it was.  Oh well, maybe it'll come back to me later. 

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 24 January 2010, 21:58:16 »

Dek, I have your edits. I moved things around and took things out (I don't think the the Academy students would often be outside the Academy). Let me know if I've crossed my boundaries, and let me know how you feel about the edits:

My intention wasn't that they'd be outside of the Academy walls every week or anything ... maybe twice a year or so with the sole purpose of partaking in the Academy/Mundane Apprentice Cup ... or something along those lines.

I put in a similar concept to that in the Academy Grounds ... that sometimes the apprentices in the guilds would go there (once/twice a year) and play at the magi apprentice home ground so to speak.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 25 January 2010, 02:10:54 »

Ah! Sorry about that. I've added that back in. How do the pieces look now? Feel free to make further edits on them if you like.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 25 January 2010, 11:37:07 »

Well, the entry is rather vague when it comes to temples and shrines.  About the only thing it says about the location of temples is "built close to the graveyards".  I guess it is possible to have the temple at the edge of the city and the cemetery/cemeteries just outside.  Or have everything inside, though I don't know if it's normal to have cemeteries inside a city; Nyermersys has its just outside its walls, if I remember correctly, and it's about the only Santharian example I can think of.  Shrines certainly are found within cities though.

Yes, that was my idea. I had envisioned the shrine to be inside the city itself, at the edge of city walls. The Cold Ground cemetery was just outside the walls. It would be a dedicated area of ground, quite large, and walled off from outsiders and curious beasts. The only entrance into the cemetery would be the shrine essentially (of course, enterprising necromancers and graverobbers often created other entrances in places not to attract attention...)

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 26 January 2010, 02:07:56 »

Ah, that makes sense.  The entrance would have to be well-fortified though, to prevent it from being an easy way for enemies to gain entry to the city. 

Rayne, is Inner Borough 3 available? 

Also, if I do end up writing it, would anyone mind if I put a temple of Armeros there?  I know there's already one fairly nearby in Outer Borough 2, but it just seems right to have a temple of a god of justice in the government district.  Perhaps they perform different functions? 

Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 26 January 2010, 02:11:59 »

Inner Borough 3 is not taken. It is yours. Just remember to make a name for it! A lot of the pieces I've been getting have been treating the boroughs as though we'll be keeping the numbers. @_@

I don't mind another temple, but doesn't that increase the number of temples in this borough to 4? Grothar, Etherus, Foiros, and Armeros?

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 26 January 2010, 02:15:34 »

Erm... Why do we need a temple for Etherus, the god of excess (among other things), in the government district?

You'd think these politicians/civil servants would already be quite acquainted with the concept, without the need for a constant reminder

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 26 January 2010, 02:20:37 »

Actually, I'm thinking of getting rid of the temples to Etherus and Grothar.  It was suggested that Etherus might be appropriate in the banking area, being god of excess, but after reading the entry, I don't think it refers to the sort of excess bankers are looking for.  As for Grothar, well, the entry says "[...] and it is jested, although not loudly, that he is also the God of wizards and politicians."  So, yeah, I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously.  He seems to be purely associated with the weather. 

Edit: I'll try to think up a name, but I'm bad with names, so suggestions are welcome.  :)
« Last Edit: 26 January 2010, 02:23:37 by Mina » Logged

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 26 January 2010, 02:25:27 »

It was suggested that Etherus might be appropriate in the banking area, being god of excess, but after reading the entry, I don't think it refers to the sort of excess bankers are looking for.

You never know... I hear some horror stories every day. :P

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 26 January 2010, 02:27:02 »

Also, if I do end up writing it, would anyone mind if I put a temple of Armeros there?  I know there's already one fairly nearby in Outer Borough 2, but it just seems right to have a temple of a god of justice in the government district.  Perhaps they perform different functions? 

We could make Borough 2 a barracks and the main temple in the government district. That makes sense so as not to have multiple temples so close to each other.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]