Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: City of Ximax: Discussion  (Read 69009 times)
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 26 January 2010, 03:14:13 »

I was thinking maybe they handle different sorts of cases, so nothing would have to be changed, though I don't know what.  But having one temple be focused on the god of war aspect and the other on the god of justice aspect seems like a good idea too. 

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 26 January 2010, 03:25:23 »

I'm not going to tell anyone what can and cannot be done. Four temples is a lot--I'd be curious to see what you come up with for this borough.  ;)

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 26 January 2010, 11:21:00 »

I was thinking maybe they handle different sorts of cases, so nothing would have to be changed, though I don't know what.  But having one temple be focused on the god of war aspect and the other on the god of justice aspect seems like a good idea too. 

That could work, Mina. I never thought of the temples to be specialized in certain areas of the deity's dogma. I like that.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 26 January 2010, 11:40:16 »

Ah, I thought that was what you were suggesting.  Somehow I interpreted your earlier post as suggesting that the original be made a barracks-temple instead of a court-temple.   lol

Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 28 January 2010, 14:17:55 »

Here's...the first draft I guess.  It got a little long.   buck

Inner Borough 3

Immediately southeast of the central market [or whatever we decide to put in the city center] is the borough of [Inner Borough 3 - sorry, no name yet].  It houses not only the city's government, but also that of the province of Xaramon.  Relatively few citizens make their homes here; those who do are often bureaucrats of some form or another. 

Scattered throughout the borough are several large residences maintained by the dukes of the province for their own use whenever they visit the city.  Insulated from the rest of the city by high walls and towers, they seem almost like small castles.  Ducal troops guard their entrances at all times, allowing entry only to those who have business with the dukes. 

Located at the centre of [Inner Borough 3], [X Square - no name yet either  buck] is the heart of the borough, surrounded by some of its most important buildings.  To the south is the Thane's Palace, which serves as the official residence of the reigning Thane for as long as they remain in office, although they often prefer their ducal residences.  Inspired by the Curonesta Palace of Milkengrad, it is similarly built from white marble in the classical Helcrani style.  It was designed to impress, and does so very well.  In addition to numerous rooms where bureaucrats work out the details of governing the province, it also houses a grand audience chamber where the Thane holds court.  At the other end of the square is the City Hall.  Unlike the palace, it is built mostly from local granite in a more modern style that incorporates elements of Volkek-oshra and Zirghurim architecture, but the overall effect is no less impressive.  The city council meet here regularly, often accompanied by other local notables, to see to the administration of the city. 

Two great temples are located to the east of the square.  The first is dedicated to Armeros in his role as the god of judgement.  While fortified in the manner typical of armourwains, it normally functions as a court of justice.  At the head of the main court chamber, a giant statue of the Just One watches over all proceedings, assuring those in attendance that justice will be done.  Next to the armourwain stands a temple of Foiros.  Made of white marble accented with gold, it presents a stunning sight under the light of Injèrá.  At night, numerous small fires keep it illuminated.  However, although Foiros is best known as the god of the Sun, he also represents the inner strength that enables one to resist lust and desire, and this aspect is especially honoured here.  Each day, many devotees come to pray for his help in guarding against worldly temptations. 

Finally, two guilds have their headquarters in the borough.  In the southwest, not far from wealthy Middleton, the Bankers' Guild has largely taken over one of the streets.  Businesses owned by the members of the guild line the street.  Their guild hall is located here as well, its ornate facade making apparent the wealth of the guild.  A short distance away, one can find the headquarters of the Librarians' Guild, a rather grand building that reflects the respect commanded by the guild.  However, its members are more often found elsewhere in the city, or at the Academy.  It has a small archive that holds some of the most valuable writings in the guild's possession, including the various charters the city has had over its long history. 

Edit: I'm thinking, perhaps the section about stuff outside the city should include a couple of lines about the Academy?  It's not in the city anymore, but it's still fairly important. 
« Last Edit: 28 January 2010, 14:30:02 by Mina » Logged

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 29 January 2010, 23:08:00 »

Mina, do you want me to do a uri check on the entry or make edits and post the edited version for your review?

And you can come up with a name for the borough--and the marketplace--yourself, if you like. We were trying to come up with names, but I got the feeling people would want to come up with them on their own. If you can come up with anything, we can brainstorm.

Eldor, as no one has claimed your borough, I have returned it to your list. Please finish it done within the one-week deadline! I've also put a one-week deadline on your other borough, as it needed a number of edits (what we talked about in PM). Please get these done!

Valan, I have not heard back from you about edits to your borough or about the borough whose deadline passed. Are you still interested in working on this project?

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 30 January 2010, 01:06:45 »

If you could edit it, that'd be great.   :)  Probably more efficient that way too. 

I've been trying to come up with some names, but I've got nothing yet.  I did say I was bad at names.   :P

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 30 January 2010, 02:16:08 »

I am still thinking on the Sewers/Old City section. I should have something by the weekend hopefully.  :)

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 30 January 2010, 03:33:57 »

Azhira: Sounds good! I can't wait to see what you've come up with. You're so good at dark and eerie places.  ;)

Mina: OK, I have an initial edit. Most of what I was trying to do was cut it down to get it a bit smaller. I tried to come up with a working name for the borough--Xirestead--and a name for the inner square--Center Square--but these are just fillers, because I hate leaving things blank.

You can see what you think.

Inner Borough 3

Immediately southeast of the city’s central market is the borough of Xirestead. It houses not only the city's government, but also the government of Xaramon province.  Relatively few citizens make their homes here; those who do are often high-ranking bureaucrats. Several large residences are scattered throughout the borough, the homes of dukes during their visits to the city.  Insulated from the rest of the city by high walls and towers, these residences seem almost like small castles.  Ducal troops guard their entrances at all times, allowing entry only to those who have business with the dukes.

Located at the centre of Xirestead, Center Square is the heart of the borough, containing some of its most important buildings.  To the south, the Thane's Palace serves as the official residence of the reigning thane, although he often prefers his ducal residences.  Inspired by the Curonesta Palace of Milkengrad, it is built of white marble in the classical Helcrani style.  It was designed to impress, and does so very well.  In addition to numerous rooms where bureaucrats work out the details of governance, it also houses a grand audience chamber where the thane holds court.  At the other end of the square is the City Hall.  Unlike the palace, it is built mostly from local granite in a more modern style, incorporating elements of Volkek-oshra and Zirghurim architecture, but the overall effect is no less impressive.  The city council meet here regularly, often accompanied by local notables, to see to the administration of the city.  

Two great temples are located to the east of the square.  The first is dedicated to Armeros in his role as the god of judgement.  While fortified in the manner typical of armourwains, it functions as a court of justice.  At the head of the main court chamber, a giant statue of the Just One watches over all proceedings.  Next to the armourwain stands a temple of Foiros, the god of Sun who represents the inner strength to resist lust and desire. Each day, many devotees come to pray for his help in guarding against worldly temptations. Made of white marble accented with gold, the temple presents a stunning sight under the light of Injčrá. At night, numerous small fires keep it illuminated.

Finally, two guilds have their headquarters in the borough. Not far from wealthy Middleton, the Bankers' Guild has largely taken over a street, lining it with guild members’ businesses.  The guild hall is located here as well, its ornate facade displaying the guild’s wealth. A short distance away, the rather grand headquarters of the Librarians' Guild reflects the respect commanded by the guild.  It has a small archive that holds some of the most valuable writings in the guild's possession, including the historical city charters. Despite the guild’s location, the guild members are more often found elsewhere in the city, or at the Academy.
« Last Edit: 31 January 2010, 01:03:24 by Rayne (Alýr) » Logged

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 30 January 2010, 03:39:25 »

Rayne, was there anything more I needed to do for those two buroughs?

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 30 January 2010, 06:40:55 »

Ah! Sorry about that. I've added that back in. How do the pieces look now? Feel free to make further edits on them if you like.

Just answer that question.  :D I just want to make sure you're happy with the edits.

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 30 January 2010, 08:13:31 »

My apologies Rayne,

Yes, I am happy with the edits :)

Thank you once again for doing the editing again :)

Dek

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 30 January 2010, 09:06:54 »

No worries, Dek! I'm OK with this project moving a little slower than usual.

I'm glad your happy with the edits. And no need to thank me! It's my job.  heart

Please feel free to take on another borough, if you feel up to it. I'm always glad to have your contributions.

Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 30 January 2010, 11:27:20 »

Looks good.  I was worried that a lot more things would have been changed.   :D

Just a few comments:
1. I was actually thinking that most of the bureaucracy would live here, not just the high ranking bureaucrats.  But I guess it depends on how much space is actually available.  I was working on the assumption that the boroughs were quite large.  It just occurred to me that I didn't try to work out how many people could live there.   buck

2. "...in a more modern style incorporating elements of Volkek-oshra and Zirghurim architecture,"  Fixing what looked like a typo. 

3. The Bankers' Guild now sounds like it covers a much larger area.  I guess it's another of those things that depends on how large we think the borough is.   Still, if it's alright, maybe it could be changed to something like this: "The Bankers' Guild has largely taken over a street not far from wealthy Middleton, lining it with guild members’ businesses.  "

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 31 January 2010, 01:09:37 »

1. I was actually thinking that most of the bureaucracy would live here, not just the high ranking bureaucrats.  But I guess it depends on how much space is actually available.  I was working on the assumption that the boroughs were quite large.  It just occurred to me that I didn't try to work out how many people could live there.   buck
Keep in mind that we have a lot of people living in Middleton. I would assume some of them might be bureaucrats. We can take out the adjective, though, if you like.

2. "...in a more modern style incorporating elements of Volkek-oshra and Zirghurim architecture,"  Fixing what looked like a typo. 
Thanks for catching that! I've made the correction to the above edit.

3. The Bankers' Guild now sounds like it covers a much larger area.  I guess it's another of those things that depends on how large we think the borough is.   Still, if it's alright, maybe it could be changed to something like this: "The Bankers' Guild has largely taken over a street not far from wealthy Middleton, lining it with guild members’ businesses.  "
Incorporated this line. I changed it slightly to avoid the misplaced modifier.

I'm still a little concerned about how long it is, but I suppose given how much is in the borough, its length is appropriate.

Do you have any ideas for possible named for the borough?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]