Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: City of Ximax: Discussion  (Read 68724 times)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 19 January 2010, 02:37:20 »

Good points, Talia.

On Cemeteries:

The cemetery known as the "Cold Ground" is located beyond the city walls, outside of the borough. For a city the size of Ximax, the cemetery would have to be fairly large. Also, there is nothing stopping us from having a second or third cemetery outside of the city. Perhaps one cemetery is for the nobles and wealthy folk, with expensive mausoleums and tombs. The Cold Ground cemetery could be one a little more run down where mostly commoners and paupers are buried, those with less money. If rumors are to be believed, it is this run-down cemetery that is often target of necromancers and smugglers looking for bodies to experiment on. No one is going to miss the beggar's grave, after all.  evil

On Sewers:

I do not see the need to expound on sewage systems, unless something about them is special somehow. Perhaps old ruins lay below in the sewers with a story to tell. Undoubtedly, a tribe or two of rat brownies live under Ximax that may deserve mention. But I would save such an entry for that specific Brownie entry. In the People section, it could be mentioned that Rat Brownies are thought to live below in the sewers and leave it at that.

(As the Rat Brownie developer, I declare now that they do live in the Ximax sewers. Perhaps one of the boroughs I write can mention them more specifically.)

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #61 on: 19 January 2010, 04:59:14 »

The current City has only been there since about 1480a.S. It was fairly peaceful, I think, when the city was being built.

I wasn't aware, that you wanted to have the entire city destroyed, not just the inner, old part around the academy. Even though, are all old building completely destroyed, even strong fortifications of former times vanished completely? Just a thought.

Sewers - was just a hint, that sewers are not common. But I see, you want a nice smelling city as everyone else ;) Or have the sewers another purpose?

Queprur's temple: it remains the fact, that the temple , the place of worship is still there, and if you don't have your own tiny place in your house and private priest, you need to go there - through that terrible quarter, awful and dangerous streets. How is this problem solved? And nobody can ignore Queprur, with any other god it would be easier. A nice conflict, I'm curious, how you will solve that problem! Be glad, that you created it, that gives your city flavour and goes beyond a mere listing of what is where.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2010, 05:07:08 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 19 January 2010, 05:15:42 »

Queprur's temple: it remains the fact, that the temple , the place of worship is still there, and if you don't have your own tiny place in your house and private priest, you need to go there - through that terrible quarter, awful and dangerous streets. How is this problem solved? And nobody can ignore Queprur, with any other god it would be easier. A nice conflict, I'm curious, how you will solve that problem! Be glad, that you created it, that gives your city flavour and goes beyond a mere listing of what is where.

I mentioned above. Multiple temples in different districts. Surely a city as large as Ximax wouldn't have one single temple to Queprur (or other gods)? Maybe the Underside's temple is more of a shrine as opposed to a larger, more "formal" temple located in a less dangerous borough?

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #63 on: 19 January 2010, 08:23:02 »

I see, multiple temples. As i said, I read only your part about that Borough with the temple in it.

Of importance to the city is a temple of Queprur, who is also known as the "Goddess of the Scythe". The borough locals call the temple by another name, "The Deader House" or, less respectfully, "The Ratqueen's Hole". The temple houses a large morgue wherewith the citizens of the city may bring their dead (or dying) to be taken into the Iron Mistress's embrace of the afterlife. Situated almost directly in the center of the borough, the temple is a large, imposing structure made of rough, black stone as if carved from night itself.

And, saying it is huge and of importance to the (whole??) city gave me the idea of troubles.

But don't misunderstand me, I do not write this city, and so it is entirely your decision, I just wanted to help   huh

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 19 January 2010, 11:58:32 »

I wasn't aware, that you wanted to have the entire city destroyed, not just the inner, old part around the academy. Even though, are all old building completely destroyed, even strong fortifications of former times vanished completely? Just a thought.

We have two original boroughs from the old city, but the rest we do not have. Perhaps the walls near these boroughs will have signs of the old fortification. Perhaps we should have the cemeteries, walls, and sewers all described in a single section.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 21 January 2010, 13:18:53 »

Inner Burough Four - Middleton

Inner borough 4, nestled between inner borough 3 and inner borough 5 and north of outer borough 4, is better known as Middleton. It is easily identifiable by its upper class, two storey houses built primarily in the Centoraurian style. As is the case with Centoraurian houses in other parts of Xaramon province, the Centoraurians who built here are heavily influenced by the Helcrani sense of style, and predominately use granite and marble to build their houses.

As they consider themselves naturally superior to the residents of Homestead and the seedy underbelly of Ximax represented by Underside, the residents of Middleton have followed the Helcrani practice of building walls. Rather than constructing these walls around individual buildings or houses, they have instead built them around their entire residential district. Theirs is an exclusive district, and to keep the riff-raff from bothering them, they have employed armed guards to patrol the inside of their gated community.

Within the walled part of their burough a coffee house has been established where members of Middleton meet and discuss the merits of their particular house and other issues of importance to them in their lives. This coffee house is named "Marcalm's", after the Erpheronian who owns it. Some of the citizens of Middleton are worried about their 'poor brothers and sisters who are not as well off as they are' and so outside of the gated and walled part of their burough they have established a temple to Nehtor. Inside this temple is a small infirmary in which they gladly treat injuries of all in Ximax, regardless of station. Finally, there is a small music hall in the burough. Like the temple and infirmary, this is outside of the walled and gated part of the burough. Here, the residents of Ximax watch entertainment of varying kinds, which tend to combine music, dance and drama into a continuous story. In addition to this, this music hall is home to the Dancer's Guild. Despite the name, this guild is not just for dancers but also for musicians, actors and all kinds of performers who call Ximax home.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2010, 13:27:13 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 21 January 2010, 14:01:28 »

Outer Borough 4 - Homestead
Outer borough four, better known to the residents of Ximax as Homestead, is south of inner borough four and is between outer boroughs threee and five.This is where most of the people who work in the various shops and guilds around Ximax live and play. Unlike Middleton, with its ordered streets and gated community, Homestead has open spaces around the one or two storey houses that make up this borough. These houses are still built in the Centoraurian style, however.

As is the case with the Ximax Academy, the children and youth of Ximax City enjoy playing a range of games throughout the streets of Ximax, as well as in the recreational hall and on the recreational field of Homestead. Such games include Breakitdown, Kikkitdown, Goal Ball and Kikkit and most of the guilds throughout Ximax City have teams of young apprentices that compete in the various games against each other, as well as against the younger mages of the Academy.

On the outer edges of Homestead, there is a grove of trees that are believed to be sacred to Arvins. The Centoraurian Rhodjah Vandageldah tends to the grove in order to keep it in pristine condition for the worship of Arvins.

A small infirmary has been built in Homestead, but, with the better stocked and resourced infirmary in Middleton, has been mostly left to fall into disuse. However, while sports are palyed in the recreation field or hall, the infirmary is used to care for any who may be injured as a result.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2010, 04:51:17 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 22 January 2010, 00:26:10 »

I'm still brainstorming the idea, but I think perhaps it may end up being required for the magi of Academy to spend some part of their training in defense of the city (or other cities nearby) for a year or two.
I'm not very comfortable with this idea, but as you know, I'm biased against conscription and such.  Besides, the idea of spending a year or two doing military service sounds rather modern to me.  Perhaps a better idea might be to require that all magi at the Academy help defend the city if it is ever attacked?

Sewers: Well, if sewers are uncommon in Santharia and Ximax has them, it would make sense to write a few sentences about them.  But, yeah, probably not much more than that, unless there's something special about them beyond that. 

Temple(s and shrines) of Queprur:
I agree that there might be problems with having the temple be located in a seedy part of the city.  Having it be one of the shrines, as you suggested, rather than the temple of the city, would be one solution.  The description of it as a place where the dead are prepared for burial fits what is described of the shrines in the entry anyway, whereas not much is said about what the temples do besides watching over cemeteries. 

But I'm thinking, they couldn't have planned for this borough to be the seedy part of the city when they were rebuilding it.  Perhaps it used to be a nicer place before the nastier sort started moving in, and now the wealthier citizens just have to endure it?  Or combine both solutions: after the borough gained its present reputation, the rich and influential started complaining and eventually got the temple moved somewhere more tolerable.  Of course, having more than one temple is a solution too.  Or there was originally one temple, but the complaints led to more being built...I might be thinking too much about this.   buck

In any case though, I wonder if the center of the borough is the right place to put the temple.  Queprur's entry states that temples are located near the graveyards.  I don't know how large Ximax is, but depending on what is considered near, it seems possible the temple might might end up being too far away. 

We have two original boroughs from the old city, but the rest we do not have. Perhaps the walls near these boroughs will have signs of the old fortification.
Which two boroughs are these?  Come to think of it, perhaps there might be some small parts of the old city (which are now...outside the city) that remain relatively intact but are mostly abandoned now that people have moved into the new city?  The accident that destroyed the city couldn't have been that thorough. 

I don't know about having signs of the old fortifications in the boroughs though.  It is also possible that they they were demolished to make way for new constructions.  I guess it would depend on what was more convenient.  But I like the idea that there might be still be some ruined sections of the old fortifications visible near the city. 

I've been wondering, do the inner boroughs all meet up at the center of the city?  Perhaps there could be something there, like a market square? 

I've been thinking a little about the early history of the city, specifically how it could have gone from a handful of founders to, eventually, a relatively major city.  I'm spending some of my free time reading about medieval cities, so hopefully I'll be able to think up something that makes sense. 

Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 24 January 2010, 03:06:14 »

Sorry for the delay with this. My apologies.

@Deklitch: Do you want me to edit your entries and integrate them (like I've done with Azhira?), or do a uri and let you do the edits yourself? It doesn't matter to me. If I edit them, you still have the options of speaking out if you don't like a change. What would you prefer?

@Mina

a) Conscription: I don't really like conscription either, but we need to find a way, I feel, for the mages to "earn their keep." I mean, keep in mind that conscription would basically be an excuse to do nothing: Santharia's a peaceful nation, and the conscription thing is more or less just for show. However, I understand your discomfort.

I often worry about Ximax's funding and its relation to other schools/cities in Santharia. This is something we can discuss if we ever get a "Functioning of Ximax Academy" entry or something. Despite all the work that went into the current Ximax Academy entry, the information is really all just a glorified and expanded descriptions section. As you know, place entries require much more than this.

Maybe at some point we can open discussions for the other things about Ximax that need discussing, like Funding, Admissions, Levels, Magic Education, Non-Magic Education, Graduation, "Governance" (School Council), Teaching, etc. What do you think? Would you add anything to the list?

b) Sewers: I've gone ahead and added a section to include the things that don't fall into the section of "borough": cemeteries, tanneries, remnants of the old city, etc. 

c)Temple(s and shrines) of Queprur: Well, all boroughs are a mix. Just as in any city, you make generalizations about certain areas, even if not all the areas display that quality. (Shady Side is generally a rich side of Pittsburgh, but I live in a poorer area of it; Oakland is a seedy borough, but my friend lives in the "nicer" part of it.)

Perhaps Deklitch might be willing to add in a small funeral house in Middleton, where the rich take their dead. From here a funeral procession takes them outside of town, either to Cold Ground Cemetery or another, nicer cemetery, like.... I don't know... "Oak Ridge Cemetery" or something?

And I've changed temple to shrine in Underside's description. Perhaps Azhira might take another look at it to make sure it sounds all right?

It would be nice to have an actual temple in the city, though. You mention the temple being near graveyards. Perhaps the temple might be outside the city, then, connected to one of the cemeteries? Or both? Perhaps it intersects where the two cemeteries would meet? Or maybe it would just be for the cemetery of the wealthy, and the poorer would just have a shrine?

d) Remnants of Old Ximax: The boroughs still in use that were leftover from the explosion are Outer Boroughs 5 and 6.

Yes, many parts of the Outer Borough are still intact, though most are in shambles. There are even a couple structures of the Inner Borough, which now serve as shelter for horses in the fields around the Academy.

I've added a section for the Remnants of Ximax in a new section on the outline. This section will also address the sewers and whatnot.

I agree that many of the old fortifications would not be there, but the old fortification-like style would perhaps pervade these boroughs.

e) Center of the City: I've been thinking about this, too. Perhaps we can make a list of possibilities for the center-of-the-city. I like the Market Square idea, though I was also thinking some sort of clock tower might be neat, too (would this be too modern?--I'm thinking of all the clock-makers we have in the city). Or perhaps a statue of Ximan Xuran? Depending on the size, we could have both: A statue/clock tower surrounded by a market place. What do you think?

f) Early History of the City: I would LOVE if you could come up with something! I've been dreading trying to figure out the history of Ximax and the Academy. Let me know if you come up with anthing!

As a final note: Mina, I would really love for you to write up a borough or two! After all the discussion you've done, your name should be on the entry that eventually goes up. It makes me sad that you didn't have time to write up a piece of the Academy--though I understand (the sections were a little long). The boroughs, though, as you can see, are only a few paragraphs. Do you think you might have time to write up one or two?

GENERAL NOTES:

1) A new section of the entry has been added (Outside and Under the City). These sections are claimable!

2) Because of deadlines, Outer Borough 1, Outer Borough 6, and Inner Borough 5 are now claimable. [Mina, would you be interested in Inner Borough 5? It's one of the magic boroughs. Or you might be interested in Outer Borough 6, as it's one of the boroughs left over from the explosion.]

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Eldor Delrossa
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 21

Researcher of Brownies and Magic

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 24 January 2010, 04:22:01 »

Rayne, I am so so so so so so sorry that I haven't finished at least one of these sooner. I've been very sick over the last few days, and haven't had energy to write at all. :( I'm lucky I found energy to edit this one that I am presenting to you as (hopefully) satisfactory. I can't say how sorry I am. If you feel you should boot me from the team, I probably deserve it. It was rude of me not to say anything, but my thoughts were so clouded, Santh was the last thing on my mind, especially with finals and the science fair. Once again I am terribly sorry. I am working on the next borough now, but it may take a bit because I'm still not that much better. I've made edits in yellow.

Outer Borough 1 (Ettinsburgh)
Outer Borough 1  is the northernmost borough of the City of Ximax. It is also adjacent to Outer Boroughs 6 and 2, and Inner Borough 1. Many of the citys great architects flock to this borough. In fact, the majority of residents who make their home there either work as architects, or smiths. With a concentration of architects, the structure of the homes, shops, and public areas are works of art in themselves. Extravagant structures can be found throughout this borough. Although the styles may differ slightly, the universal form seems to be light structuring, looking to turn away from those with a more heavy mass. Buttresses and pinnacles are commonly found to be decorating these fine architectural segments. Masons, however, make up the largest amount of the population. Because of this, magnificently crafted roads and statues are found in abundance in this borough.  These masons also create weapons, fortifications for the walls, jewelry, and most items imaginable that can be crafted. Many stores in the shopping districts import items that the masons make, creating a trade system of sorts between them.

Towers are also a feature regularly seen throughout this borough, especially twin towers. Many of these towers act as meeting bases for architects or masons to plan out how they will remodel a certain area to better it, or how they wish to tackle their next big project. In fact, the famous Masons Guild has its home in one of the twin tower structures. The Masons Guild is an organized guild of smiths and crafters that produce most of the citys weapons and items of convenience that can be made with metal or other available materials. With a Masons Guild, this borough attracts around two thirds of the dwarven population in Ximax, causing the overall make-up of the population to be around seventy percent dwarven, and around twenty percent human. Orcs make up around nine percent of the population, with the other races filling in the rest. Because of the population being majorly filled by dwarves, temples to Utengor were constructed by the combined efforts of the architects and smiths.  Along with these temples, there is a borough meeting spot featuring a dedication to Utengor as well. The meeting spot is a circular space in the center of the Ettinsburgh with cobblestone roads snaking out from it through the borough. At the center of it is a marble fountain. Four spears, positioned like a cross, shoot water in opposing directions, creating a dome made of mist around its center piece mist. The center piece of the fountain is a marble statue depicting Utengor holding a hammer and a knife raised in the air while standing over a fallen dear. With all of this dedication to Utengor, its no wonder the forges in this borough are so productive.

"The trials and tribulations of Brownies over the centuries have made them wary of humans. I am humbled to be called 'Brownie Friend'."- Eldor Delrossa
Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 24 January 2010, 05:06:51 »

Eldor, I'm sorry you've been sick! Please don't worry: I'm not going to boot you from the project.

However, you did miss your deadlines. The boroughs you have claimed are boroughs that others may want to write about, and it is only fair that, if you missed your deadlines, others should get the chance to write them up. If you want to submit your pieces for the boroughs, I can't stop you, but I can't accept it until I know that no others want to write the piece.

I will need to think on whether or not to take the borough you've just submitted. There are still issues in it (keep in mind that we're not going to keep the borough numbers: these are only for development). If I do decide to integrate the piece, I may make the edits myself and integrate them into the entry for you to review. This is assuming I accept the borough. Like I said, I'll need to think about it, and see if there are others who might want to write it up.

Eldor Delrossa
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 21

Researcher of Brownies and Magic

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 24 January 2010, 05:35:52 »

I guess that is only fair. I'll just stand by and await your decision. If someone else may want those two boroughs, I guess I can just claim others. Thank you for your kindness and understanding in not chewing me out. :P

Eldor

"The trials and tribulations of Brownies over the centuries have made them wary of humans. I am humbled to be called 'Brownie Friend'."- Eldor Delrossa
Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 24 January 2010, 06:41:30 »

I will take your first borough, Eldor--the one you've posted. Give me a few days to make edits. When I finish them I will post it in the entry AND in this thread, so that you can easily find it and see if there are any changes you want to make.

As for the other borough, I want to leave it open for three days, to give someone else the chance to claim it. Because I know you've got some ideas for it, whoever claims it will HAVE to speak with you, in order to ensure that your ideas get integrated. So even if someone else claims it, your ideas will find their way into the piece. If no one claims it, it is yours again. But PLEASE make sure that you do it within a week!

Does this sound like a good compromise?

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 24 January 2010, 09:11:45 »

Shrine is ok. Though I am unclear why a temple wouldn't have worked. The temple could have been an older one, as Mina suggested, when the borough was cleaner at one time in the past. Once the borough became a slums, the people could have built a "newer" one elsewhere. The Underside temple is smaller and fell into disrepair. Of course, the faithful still maintain it, as well as the Cold Ground, for the more commoner and poor people to be buried. I suppose, in light of a larger temple elsewhere, the Underside is now considered a shrine. I'll look at it in that respect.

As for the Sewers or Old City, I'd need some info on them and I can write up something. The other boroughs seem pretty standard and don't jog my imagination like some old ruins haunted with ghosts, Greylers and Rat Brownies.  evil

Also, good to have you back, Rayne!  heart

Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 24 January 2010, 09:17:11 »

I suppose, in light of a larger temple elsewhere, the Underside is now considered a shrine. I'll look at it in that respect.
Yes, perhaps the cemeteries outside the walls will have a big temple. Maybe I might be able to convince a certain green-eyed, half-elven researcher to write up the cemeteries and the temple.   rolleyes

As for the Sewers or Old City, I'd need some info on them and I can write up something. The other boroughs seem pretty standard and don't jog my imagination like some old ruins haunted with ghosts, Greylers and Rat Brownies.
I would love for you to do these pieces, Azhira! What kind of information do you need?

Also, good to have you back, Rayne!  heart
heart Thank you, Azhira.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]