Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: City of Ximax: Discussion  (Read 68718 times)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: 26 February 2010, 03:51:05 »

clap

How come the blocks are the same color on the inner city and outer city? And opposite each other?

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 26 February 2010, 07:45:23 »

So should I just remove the explanation for it? Or maybe we could change it to being in the center? I'm very flexible with that aspect of the borough and wouldn't mind if you have a specific location in mind for it. Just let me know. :)

Hey Eldor. Sorry for the late reply. I've been terribly busy lately.  buck

You could either remove the explanation or change the location. I would recommend perhaps not trying to specify where the Eyashenes might live. I think it might be better to leave it more open.

Mina: The maps look good--but what about Valan's description of the streets in Hallowhall being more winding? Perhaps it might be best to leave out the specific streets? I do like the map, though. It's far more sophisticated than mine! Perhaps we can eventually integrate it into the entry? Once we get all the boroughs done, or at least all the names figured out, would you mind adding labels to the boroughs? I think you've done a fantastic job.

And I would assume the colors are merely for differentiation.

BTW, Mina--would you mind picking up another section of the entry?

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 26 February 2010, 08:07:18 »

I haven't forgotten about that other borough I started. I have been busy and now a bit unwell, but I will get it finished, sorry for the delay.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 26 February 2010, 09:40:37 »

How come the blocks are the same color on the inner city and outer city? And opposite each other?
Erm...because I got lazy about the colours and only used 6 instead of 12.  Like Rayne said, they're just for differentiation.  Only the blocks that are the same colour and next to each other are in the same borough. 

but what about Valan's description of the streets in Hallowhall being more winding? Perhaps it might be best to leave out the specific streets?
Well, like I said, these were just the main streets.  In the case of older boroughs like Hallowhall, I figure they could have been added when the city was rebuilt, which would involve demolishing things in the way, but probably not that much.  Valan did say newer construction had created straight streets in certain parts of the borough, if I remember correctly. 

Perhaps we can eventually integrate it into the entry? Once we get all the boroughs done, or at least all the names figured out, would you mind adding labels to the boroughs?
Sure.  If there's anything you want to modify, eg. shape and size, I could probably do that too.  I don't know if the style is acceptable for the site though.  It was more of a quick sketch to help visualize a concept than something actually intended for integration. 

I think, a couple of years ago, I came across an online guide for drawing fantasy-style city maps.  Perhaps when I have more time I'll go look for it again and see if I can figure it out. 

BTW, Mina--would you mind picking up another section of the entry?
Sure.  Currently, I'm planning to write the Academy section, and maybe some others when that is done, depending on what ideas I get.   :)

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 26 February 2010, 14:03:34 »

Like Mina said, they could have simply knocked down buildings and done a little bit of repaving to make one of those roads.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 27 February 2010, 03:43:51 »

Here's a quick attempt at the Academy section.  It ended up longer than I intended again.   buck

The Magical Academy is the foremost school of magic in Santharia, as well as one of the best known parts of the city.  Indeed, when one thinks of Ximax, the Academy is often one of the first things to come to mind.  This is not without reason, for the Academy is an important part of the city, and its magi often played important roles in the city's history.  The typical citizen will be quick to point out, however, that despite this close relationship, they do have their own distinct identity, and do not appreciate being grouped together with the magi, whatever their personal feelings towards them might be. 

Originally, the Academy was located at the center of the city, protected by the fortress-like buildings of the old Inner City.  This changed following the 1482 a.s. incident, which saw most of the old Inner City destroyed or damaged beyond repair and lead to the city being rebuilt a safe distance from the Academy.  Now, the Academy is no longer located within the city proper, but instead a few minutes' walk southwest of Hallowhall borough - close enough to be easily accessible should one need to do so, but far enough for the rest of the city to avoid being damaged any potential magical accidents again. 

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 02 March 2010, 03:32:16 »

This looks good, Mina. Thanks for the section. It doesn't run long at all!  thumbup

Maybe Rayne can come back and integrate it soon.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 14 March 2010, 09:40:39 »

I agree the section does not run too long. I have integrated it into the entry. Please feel free to write another piece of the entry, if you have time, Mina.

Sorry for the delay. School and all.  buck

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 14 March 2010, 10:58:34 »

No problem.   :)

I've been thinking of writing the Tanner's Bend section.  Don't know when I'll get it done though. 

Also, is everyone fine with the idea of having a market square at the center of the city?  If so, I might try to write a description of it after finishing Tanner's Bend. 

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 14 March 2010, 11:12:31 »

Market square sounds great to me!

Sorry Rayne, about that other one I'm still working on ... I'll get to it when I can ... school/work for me (both are the same really in my world)

Dek

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 17 March 2010, 02:59:47 »

Market Square sounds wonderful. I've signed you up for it and Tanner's Bend, Mina. Thank you!

Don't worry about it, Dek. I'm right there with you. heart After all, Valan told me he would have his borough written by the end of February, and he has broken his word, and therefore my heart, once again.

There's still a fair amount of claimable parts of this entry, for anyone interested.

And is Eldor still around?  huh

Eldor Delrossa
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 21

Researcher of Brownies and Magic

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 17 March 2010, 04:42:43 »

Yes I am still here. I was locked in a stupor for a bit, and am now on vacation with limited PC time. :( But, I am working on edits to my borough as we speak. :D Good to see you somewhat back, I was missing you. Stop by IRC every now and then eh? I've also missed talking to you.

"The trials and tribulations of Brownies over the centuries have made them wary of humans. I am humbled to be called 'Brownie Friend'."- Eldor Delrossa
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 27 March 2010, 17:40:00 »

I decided to repost this borough in its entirity in order to make it easier for Rayne to integrate into the first post when she gets to that stage.

Inner Burough 2, located between Aferburgh and Dukesberry is better known to the residents of Ximax as Hollyale due to the high proportion of taverns and inns on the streets of this burough. It is north east of the central market square of Ximax. High class taverns and inns all the way through to the inns and taverns that even the rats avoid like the plague are in evidence throughout Hollyale. As one gets closer to the outer burough of Underbelly, the quality of the taverns and inns decreases markedly.

The workers and owners within the inns and taverns of Ximax are represented by the Innkeepers' Guild. This guild, which is located in the northern section of Hollyale, sets standards for the quality of taverns and inns throughout the magic city. The established standards provides the public with an indication as to the quality of service and facilities on offer at each tavern or inn. This guild also establishes minimum conditions for the workers in these establishments. The lowest standard is called the San, with the Od, the Copperbard, the Silverbard and finally the Goldbard being the other ratings in increasing level of quality. Only the wealthiest of individuals are able to frequent those taverns or inns rated as Silverbard and Goldbard.

One would be remiss to leave this burough without due consideration given to the temple of Jeyriall located within its streets. This temple is pyramidal in shape and has the cup engraved above its main entry. Paths through a small cultivated ground takes the pilgrim past a small pond of still water th this main entry into the temple. The temple is built from granite with gold on the window trim, planter boxes and capstones. The granite and gold were brought in from the Steppe of Kruswick. The priestesses of the temple assist women who are ready to give birth and who request the services of the temple, regardless of whether or not they have other support available to them. Finally, the interior rooms of the temple are a store for a variety of food stuffs for the city should another disaster befall the magical city.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2010, 18:32:32 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #163 on: 27 March 2010, 22:36:43 »

"One would be remiss to leave this burough without due consideration given to the temple of Jeyriall located within its streets. This temple is pyramidal in shape and has the cup engraved above its main entry. Paths through a small cultivated ground takes the pilgrim past a small pond of still water th this main entry into the temple. The temple is built from granite with gold on the window trim, planter boxes and capstones. The granite and gold were brought in from the Steppe of Kruswick. The priestesses of the temple assist women who are ready to give birth and who request the services of the temple, regardless of whether or not they have other support available to them. Finally, the interior rooms of the temple are a store for a variety of food stuffs for the city should another disaster befall the magical city."

Thanks for PMing me on this one, Dek.  May I take some thought to consider and amplify just slightly?  Granite sounds a) a bit mundane and b) rather unwelcoming for pregnant women!  :)   Will get back to you on this, if I may.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 28 March 2010, 15:53:48 »

Of course, Judith, take all the time you need :D The entry for Jeyriall did mention sandstone, but when I looked at the resources map of Caelereth, sandstone seemed to be a fair way away from Ximax, whereas there was a lot of granite nearby ... but I agree with both of your points regarding the granite.  thumbup

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]