Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mould (Overview)  (Read 3983 times)
Kelderth

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« on: 03 February 2010, 09:47:20 »

Hello everyone I have come up with this overview to satisfy my need for mould. Anyone is free to make a species or two to satisfy their need for mould too. Mould is so common in the Terran world that I cant help but think that there must be loads of unwritten moulds out there. As I said in the usages paragraph below there are many different types that can be used as medicine...or poisons evil. So...Enjoy! (changes I have made are in green(Some of the changes I have made are not green since there is a glitch that prevents me from highlighting)

Mould (Overview)
Categorization: Moss & Fungi-Fungi

An extremely common and unusual genre of fungus, mould grows wherever it is warm, humid and dark or where something is dead or decaying. It can be many different colors and it varies in usages and rarity.

Appearance. Mould is very flat usually only a few grains of height at the maximum but can grow to cover a very, very large area if the growing conditions are right. It can grow on pretty much anything from a corpse to musty old clothing in the attic. Some caves (or basements) have been found where a few square peds of wall have been completely covered by mould. Mould has many different colors from deep black to  fluorescent green and sea blue to pure white. The darker the mould the warmer area it usually lives in and vice versa. It also has different growing styles and can look like just a fuzzy stain or can almost look like a skin of mould is covering it.

Territory. Different species live in different areas but mould can be found nearly everywhere. They can be found all over Sarvonia and Nybelmar but is not found commonly on Aeruillin except in the large settlements and is found rarely (except in the summer) in Akdor, Cyahlloi and the northern reaches of Caael'heroth. It is barely found in The Icelands. It doesn’t live on deserts at all seeming as it needs moisture to survive.  Though it can live in extremes. The warmer it is though the faster mould grows except when it gets so hot it dehydrates the mould.

Usages. Mould can be used for very different things from poison to medicine to food in some places. It all depends on the species of mold. A species called Queprur's Plaster is ground up into a powder by assassins all over Santharia and if eaten will kill. Another type of mold though can be used as a anasthesia and is used to lessen the pain of a mortal wound by battlefield healers. Though many people believe that it is useful for nothing more than spoiling food left out too long. The Osther-Oc though use some species of mould to paint their bodies and dye their hair before a battle.

Reproduction. It is unknown exactly how mould reproduces as it seemingly grows out of nowhere but a theory is that tiny spores that have been expelled into the air, land on the material and start to grow. If the growing conditions are right and it is not wiped out a large amount of mould can grow in one area. If it quite warm a loaf of bread can be covered in less than three days. Though if someone keeps the food dry, mould will likely not grow on it for a few weeks. Salt will also deter the growth of mould for a few months.

« Last Edit: 06 February 2010, 07:49:23 by Kelderth » Logged

A Golden Age is a time when so many things about x are wonderful and unique that x itself is taken for granted.
- Stephen King
Kelderth

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2010, 09:48:30 »

And to everyone this is just a skeleton so if anyone comes up with ideas i'll be happy to incorporate them  grin

A Golden Age is a time when so many things about x are wonderful and unique that x itself is taken for granted.
- Stephen King
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2010, 10:39:34 »

Looks fine to me (but I'm not a herbarium mod ... so listen to them over me ... or to members over me) ... just a few comments from me ...

Please use the UK version of spelling rather than the US version ... that means Mould not Mold. :)

I also think a bit more information would be good :) Maybe even come up with a few types of moul, as examples that people might like to develop at a later time, or something like that :)

When you say 'in the far north' what do you mean by that exactly? For example, as I'm from Brisbane, Australia, we have part of Queensland called Far North Queensland, but to someone from Europe or North America, that wouldn't be considered far north. Maybe consider mentioning specific areas ... eg in the Kanapan lands, or in the lands of the Ice Tribes or ... I'm sure you get the idea.

Maybe under usages, give one or two examples of specific tribes that use it in a particular way ... some of our dear orcish brethran might use it as warpaint for example, Ratling Brownies might be one of the tribes that use it as food. Other developers might have specific suggestions for you.

I hope what I say here is helpful for you.

Dek

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Kelderth

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2010, 10:59:32 »

Thanx Dek this is really helpful  :D

- Stephen King
Kelderth

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2010, 11:19:53 »

Hmmmm...Puzzling
« Last Edit: 03 February 2010, 11:40:10 by Kelderth » Logged

- Stephen King
The Silent Watcher

Gained Aura: 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2010, 03:34:51 »

some of our dear orcish brethran might use it as warpaint for example,

Being rather well acquainted with a certain bothersome orc, I feel able to tell you that lichens, mosses etc are used to create dyes for cloth (Ashz-oc) and tattoos (various tribes). As Dek quite rightly mentioned, body paints would also make use of these ingredients. Mould (which has not been included in the Tattooing, scarifying and Body Modification entry AS YET) would almost definately be used in any of the practices above, especially if they are of an unusual colour. Good catch, Dek.

If you want to mention body painting attached to any particular race/tribe, drop Talia a line. I was going to include it in my Body Mod. entry, but she already had plans to do something along those lines. She may have a better idea of who would or would not use this practice.

Good luck with the entry, Kel.
Kelderth

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2010, 03:54:26 »

Thanx Watcher  grin

- Stephen King
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2010, 13:31:20 »

You have a good start here! As Dek said, I think it can use some fleshing out. In particular, you speak in very general terms. General terms are good, but generals should be backed up with specifics. For example, where can you find white-colored moss? How white is it? You said it can be like a stain or "more upright." What does this mean?

Consider also elaborating more on where it grows and how it grows. You've already touched in your Territory section that it grows only in certain temperatures. You don't need to mention what temperatures it grows under, but I do recommend you mention that temperature influences growth. How fast can it grow in the right temperatures? How long would it take a load of bread sitting out to take with mould (a few days? a week? How long to cover the whole loaf?)? How might one avoid mould?

You mention that "Mould can be used for very different things from poison to medicine to food in some places." Too general! What poisons? What medicines? What foods? Don't leave it at "some places." Tell me where! Tell me by whom! Be as specific as you can. Don't be afraid to be creative here--consider going through the tribes list, looking on maps, etc.

A lot of plants have a growing season. Does mould? Are there some foods more likely to take mould than others? (Compare, for example, white bread and whole wheat bread).

I usually do close grammar/style checks, but I will wait on this entry until you get it a little more fleshed out.  ;) Let me know if you have any questions!  heart

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2010, 04:50:27 »

I feel this grammar/style check is a little premature. I'm only doing the overview and the appearance section (which is usually the "description" section, I think...). I encourage you to take the corrections I give you for these two paragraphs and see how you can apply these techniques to the other sections. Keep in mind some key questions:

-What is the purpose of this document?
-How are people going to use it, and what information will they need?
-What's going through the mind of the reader as they read the text?

Take your time on this! I think a lot of the difficulties you're running in to are from rushing through the writing process: slow down, and think hard on the choices you're making and the way you're phrasing things.

Mould (Overview)
Categorization: Moss & Fungi-Fungi

An extremely common and unusual genre of fungus, [This appears to be a contradiction in terms--both common and unusual? I think I understand what you mean: it's a common fungus in general, but is unusual when compared to other fungi. You need to make this distinction clear, though. Also consider what's going on in the mind of the reader. You tell them "mold is an unusual among other fungus"--the immediate question in the mind of your reader is "how?"] mould grows wherever it is warm, humid and dark or where something is dead or decaying [The conjunction "or" implies two mutually exclusive conditions. For example, "you can have ice cream or a cookie" implies that you cannot have both. I don't think this is the type of relationship you're trying to convey between the elements "warm, humid and dark" and "dead or decaying"--mould can grow on something decaying in a warm, humid, dark environment. Try to think critically about the relationship between these elements--or their relationship to the growth of mould, and edit accordingly. Let me know if you need help!] It can be many different colors and it varies in usages and rarity. [This last sentence is too general to really be helpful to your reader. I would be more explicit: what are the most popular colors? What are the more common usages? How rare/common can mould be?]

Appearance. Mould is very flat usually only a few grains of height at the maximum but can grow to cover a very, very large area if the growing conditions are right. [Mould can appear flat--but only if it's growing on flat objects, right? Perhaps instead of flat you can say that this fungus grows across the surface of bread, produce, clothes, etc. Often writing is both clearer and easier to read with figurative language, like metaphors. Perhaps you might mention that dark mould appears like a shadow spreading across these objects, one that lengthens with time? Also be more specific: what is a very, very large area? What are the "right" conditions? This is too vague--you need to be more specific, or else you're not producing a piece of text that others can effectively use!] It can grow on pretty much ["pretty much" is very colloquial. Keep in mind that the Compendium is like an encyclopedia. Try to use more formal language when it's appropriate: perhaps "almost"?] anything from a corpse to musty old clothing in the attic. [Mold is most common on food, I think, and is probably where most people would see mold. I would recommend mentioning some sort of food item in the examples of where it grows.] Some caves (or basements) have been found where a few square peds of wall have been completely covered by mould. ["have been found" is passive construction. When you use passive construction, your writing is less active, and sometimes harder to read. Often passive voice is avoidable with a little be of manipulation. "In the ideal conditions for mould, such as damp caves and basement, this fungus can cover entire walls." Or something like that.] Mould has many different colors from deep black to  fluorescent green and sea blue to pure white. [Color is not often something we possess (or "have"), but a quality. Perhaps consider "Mould grows in different colors..."] The darker the mould the warmer area it usually lives in and vice versa. [vice versa, in this context, does not make sense. Perhaps you mean, "The dark the mould, the warmer the area; the lighter the mould, the cooler the area." Or something along those lines] It also has different growing styles and can look like just a fuzzy stain or can almost look like a skin of mould is covering it. [I don't think this "and" is a specific enough relationship to draw between the elements of this sentence. "And" is a very, very general relationship marker--it's best to be specific when the relationship between the elements is specific: "It also has different growing styles, ranging from a stain-like growing pattern to more "fuzzy" or "furry" structure, and can even look like a thin layer of skin."]

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]