Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Pic of a big, ugly, green, smelly, ...well it's Tharoc!  (Read 15238 times)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« on: 12 March 2010, 13:35:31 »

"Huh, what, what ....where am I."

Seeker sits up and realizes he is on a boat, his head aches and he doesn't know what day it is or why he is here.  The last thing he can remember is getting a note from a man named Tharoc, who said he had some important infomation for him.  Information he was willing to trade for a painting.  

Seeker looks around the small cabin and sees his satchel on a cot, a picture is hanging out of it.  He pulls the painting out and is disgusted by the sight.  A putrid orc, he can almost smell it.

Seeker wonders why he has a painting that he can't remember painting ....and wonders if that orc is Tharoc.

Comments welcome
« Last Edit: 20 March 2010, 23:47:23 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2010, 13:39:24 »

Tharoc, as I was posting I remembered you asked me to make his expression to appear more "approachable".  Ooops forgot.  I will make that alteration in the next version.

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2010, 14:01:53 »

His expression!?!?  You think that is what makes him unapproachable?  Like the 200 knives hidden all over his big green body have nothing to do with it?  Or the 600 flies?

But, for risking your life to paint this, Auried.  Very nice looking painting.  I love the detail. :D  If not the subject.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Exmortis
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 10

A Watchful Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2010, 21:07:33 »

Well, if this picture was intended to create the feel of approachability, then I am afraid you failed.
However, the image itself is awe-inspiring to view; the subject is so unbelievably detailed and yet blends into the dark, morbid backdrop almost seamlessly. Given the unlikeliness, I doubt that this was done entirely by hand. So my best guess would have to be that this was done with the assistance of a computer, but even so, masterfully done. Give my codos to the artist.

Echoes of past events nudge the tiller of my present course...

I await its reflection in the future
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2010, 22:32:02 »

Seeker, words fail me. For once.

When you first told me you were working on Thar's portrait, I was stunned and elated in equal measure. Well, who wouldn't be, what with having one of Santharia's greatest artists actually choosing you as their muse, as opposed to being threatened into doing it!

I can see you've added a whole lot of detail since the first draft you sent me. Tharoc like. Tharoc like a lot!

I'm not sure how you're going to make him look more  approachable (or less threatening, at least!), but if anyone can do it.......

And is that a Tangleweed I see lurking in the mists near his left foot? One of his first discoveries, if memory serves.

Overall, I love this image. He shows the obvious orcen characteristics inherited from his father: his colour (DUH!), his physique, his slightly shifty eyes etc. His mother's elven traits are also in there as well, if you know where to look: high cheekbones, his taller-than-average stature (not so obvious, but I know it's there!), his pointier than normal ears.....brilliant!

Just in case anyone missed them, you can even see his ear piercings and eyebrow rings. And do you see the tattoo on his right bicep? That's the Ashz-oc tribal emblem, that is. He wears the Wargrider clan tattoo on his right thumb, but you can't see that here. (Just as a point of interest, I designed the clan emblem the day before Mir'Th Moot 09 and had it tattooed onto my thumb the same day. I did it to mark the occasion of the Moot, to show my affiliation with the clan and with Santharia. I've been asked about it's meaning more times than I can remember, and everyone has been fascinated by it. I'll find someone with macro on their camera and post a pic asap)

As for his 'hundreds of knives hidden about his body', he's only got 8. Not many for an orc......

His Ashz-oc Kle'vaar is beautifully realised. Very obviously a serious weapon, and not too fancy for orcen tastes.
That reminds me, I'd best get on and write the Kle'vaar entry. I may call upon your talents again to picture the tribal variations on this staple of orcen armoury.

Once again, Seeker, thank you so very, very much for bringing my alter ego to life. It's definately strange seeing him stood there after all this time!

AURA +1 from me. And I think a couple more to follow soon.
« Last Edit: 12 March 2010, 22:38:51 by Tharoc Wargrider » Logged

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2010, 23:11:38 »

*sigh* Words failed him, he said... and yet he manages to review every aspect of the picture in one go :P

Nonetheless, Aura+1  for this magnificent picture of the Tangleweed, Seeker!

..erh, i mean, Tharoc, of course. And the Tangleweed.. yesss my preciousss... tangles' 'm and eats 'm, we do...

(Seriously though, the Orc is amazingly alike to the Tharoc i met last year. Splendid work, and a worthy addition to the protrait gallery. Although we might have to cover it up to protect innocent bystanders...)

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2010, 23:18:59 »

Uh-oh. I've just seen that weedpuller lurking near my portrait. Expect some serious insultage very soon.

Seeker, now I've had time to recover from the pleasant shock of looking at myself for the first time, could I make a tiny suggestion?

I think his skin should be darker. The Ashz-oc are described as being "dark green, nearly black", their skin having been hardened by the harsh conditions in the Prominent mountains.
I did actually realise this earlier, but for some reason I forgot to mention it. Must be those damn nuts again.

It may be a perspective thing, but the more I look, the shorter his right arm appears when compared to the left. I can't tell if it's the shoulder to elbow part, or the elbow to wrist that's at fault. It may even be the whole thing...... buck

I've also noticed his upright stance. This is good. Apart from his part elven heritage, he is an Ashz-oc (the Noble Orcs), and as such, would hold himself superior to the other, less worthy tribes. His bold, erect posture would, doubtless, come from this feeling of superiority.

I'll keep looking.......

EDIT: DAMN! Mira posted while I was writing this. At least he didn't get too personal. Mind you....there's time yet.
« Last Edit: 12 March 2010, 23:29:05 by Tharoc Wargrider » Logged

Use the force, Luke.

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2010, 23:54:30 »

Maybe a set of Mira'sballs being held in Tharoc's left or right hand could be a good think for the picture as well ... either there or beneath one of Tharoc's feet. I'm talking about the game, of course :D

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2010, 01:36:17 »

Tharoc, no problem on those suggestions.    Dek, I think I will pass on your suggestion.  :P

By the way- This picture is based on Tharoc's description from the Role Playing forum.  It obviously looks different from his Avatar pic, but this is on purpose.  I have not really come up with a location to post this picture.  So if anyone has a suggestion undecided.  Perhaps it could be posted in one of Tharoc's entries?

In the long run I am assuming that the big green oaf is going to start/complete his MASTERWORK, which he was approved to do well over A YEAR AGO.  At that point perhaps we could have a party for him and even perhaps create a person entry for Tharoc.
« Last Edit: 13 March 2010, 03:24:03 by Seeker » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2010, 03:19:19 »

As has already been expressed: Great stuff, Seeker! thumbup Tharoc really gets an adequate representation here which brings you another aura +1 from here, and yes, we definitely need an entry for our orcish friend now, or at least an opportunity to put him in a certain entry! Plus right now we still don't have him officially on the team because the masterwork is still not done yet, so I hope that this happens more sooner than later.

Side note on Santhworld, as I see portraits of members popping up recently: The new login function allows to provide a player name, select gender and portrait from a few predefined suggestions, but it will also allow people to have own personalized pictures like these as portraits for the player's character, so that e.g. Tharoc can play Tharoc in the game with his picture being used for the player - such a picture can be prepared by us to be available in the game and can be accessed through providing a special code at the login screen, which only the owner of that character will receive.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2010, 03:53:28 »

Soon, it seems a Santhworld MMO can't be too far behind, where we can all play together.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 13 March 2010, 03:58:06 »

One step at a time...  grin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 March 2010, 04:42:37 »

@ Dek. I really liked the idea of having Mira's Balls in the pic somewhere. Brilliant. Unfortunately, Seeker seems to have over-ruled me. Ah well, artistic temperament, and all that.  ;)

@ Seeker. I quite like the setting you have him in. It's just the kind of place he'd be found. That is, somewhere dark, muddy and dangerous. Not through any sense of adventure, you understand? More that he's just too stupid to realise how much peril he's in.
Still, that's turned out to be a good thing, I suppose. I mean, who else would we send out looking for all those dangerous plants and such?

As for a Tharoc person entry, I've toyed with the idea several times, but always seem to find something even shinier to distract my attention.

Hmmm. Somebody mentioned the 'M' word again, didn't they? *sigh*
I know this saga has been dragging on almost as long as Alt's did, but in my defence I've been absent for......how long was it?
On a more serious, personal note, my frame of mind at the moment isn't condusive to producing what I would consider suitable Masterwork material. I set very high standards for myself, (as do most Santharians, I know), and I don't feel that I could do myself, and you lot, justice if I were to embark on what I consider to be my Santharian Thesis right now.

Besides, Tharoc's name is in green, and the Gods alone know what he'd do to me if I went and changed it now! I mean to say, just look at the chuffin' size of 'im. he'd flatten me!

Oh, and another AURA +1 for Seeker. I'm that impressed!

Use the force, Luke.

Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 March 2010, 04:52:44 »

Tharoc, if you like Mira's balls that much, I may just go ahead and look into it.  Besides you have showered me with so many compliments, how can I say no.

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 March 2010, 05:36:50 »

If you fancy squeezing Mira's Balls in there somewhere, Seeker, be my guest!

Ooh, ooh! I've just seen the scarification on his back. Brilliant! Just like the African tribes do it!

And his clan emblem on his back! Argh! I think I might die from excitement!

Regarding the right arm issue: I think it's the shoulder to elbow section that is at fault. It looks too short in comparison to the elbow to wrist length.
« Last Edit: 13 March 2010, 05:38:46 by Tharoc Wargrider » Logged

Use the force, Luke.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]