Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: The Great Maul  (Read 15460 times)
Mīruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 16

View Profile
« on: 13 April 2010, 18:36:28 »

The Great Maul

Overview:

Great Mauls are weapons generally used by strong warriors. With devastating power when used correctly, the Maul can break bones and cause grievous bodily harm without even breaking the armour. One of the most effective weapons against plate armour, the Maul can be considered as a sort of militarised sledgehammer.

Description:
Great Mauls are made up of a heavy block of metal atop a long wooden shaft. The look of the head of the maul varies depending on the race it was made by; Human mauls almost always have a steel or iron block on a thick wooden shaft, while Dwarven ones often have the entire maul made out of the same metal; usually iron or steel, but some have even been known to be made of the rare mithril and decorated with fine gold runes and patterns! Some  have one or more spikes on the back. Shafts lengths can range anywhere from one ped to two peds, two fores, and are mostly made of woods. Some of the best woods are Ironwood and cherry, though most hardwoods are acceptable.

According to the few people to have seen them and lived to tell the tale, there are also varieties that are used by the larger races such as Trolls and Ogres, as these giants can carry a massive maul with one hand. Loch-Oc Orcs are also known to use Mauls, especially those that have spikes on them. Most varieties have a leather thong attached to the end of the shaft to ensure warriors don’t drop their weapon.

Usage:
Many races use a variation of the Great Maul. Humans and dwarves most commonly use them however. Elves rarely use this weapon, as it is too bulky for the nimble fighting style they are used to. Avennorians and Shendar are rarely seen using the Maul. As mentioned above Orcs (especially Losh-Oc), Trolls and Ogres also use the Great Maul, and though they are the weapon of choice for dwarves- being Urtengor's own favoured weapon-, the Kurakim are especially proficient with them, as are many Erpheronian warriors who are more thick set than their kinsmen.

Fighting Style:
Great Mauls are more cumbersome than most weapons, if not the most, but they can still pack a powerful punch, especially against multiple enemies. When facing more than one foe, the wielder swings the maul as hard as they can from side to side, keeping them from getting close enough to attack. The long shaft is what allows this to happen, and so we come to one of the greatest assets of the Maul; the reach. Sometimes this tactic can be used against a single enemy, but more often the user of the maul will lift it to head height and bring it crashing down, before lifting it and quickly repeating the process, until their adversary makes a mistake. They are able to do this for long periods of time having had to train for long hours in order to be able to access the upper body strength essential to use this weapon.
Great Mauls are not the weapon of choice for most warriors. They are too heavy and unwieldy, leaving only those with immense strength able to use them efficiently.

Origin/History:
The true origins of the Great Maul are lost in the mists of time, but an Erpheronian legend common in the area around Voldar tells of a time, during the Battle of Four Swords, when a farm blacksmith, by the name of Sydus Goth, roused to the defense of his farmstead, led the counter-attack against the orcs wielding his sledgehammer. His awesome muscles and familiarity with the balance and use of the tool allowed him to use it to devastating effect and the orcs were routed. After the battle, Sydus realised just how formidable a weapon he carried and set about enlarging the head and studding it with nails in case of another orc attack. The legend goes that a mere three hours after the completion of the transformation of the hammer from tool to weapon a larger orc force attacked the farmstead, but were once again defeated by the simple peasant folk, emboldened by the sight of Sydus' devastating hammer. Similar legends exist across the length and breadth of the disc of Caelereth.

One of the compendium experts on dwarves, Bard Judith, provided the following explanation:
The dwarves of Northern Sarvonia, who have been using hammers as their warweapons for literally thousands of years, claim that the Great Maul originated with their tribe back in the dawn of their history.  In the colder wastes of the North where forge hammers and sledge hammers rang day and night under the icy rocks to carve out their living caverns, and where axes were rarely used due to the dearth of large trees, slowly the hammer became their symbol.  The tool of choice, it would have come readily to hand if icewolves attacked or a wandering band of orcs encountered a work party of dwarves... and so, simply and easily, the dwarven hammer took on its fighting connotations.   The handle was lengthened, the striking face made more convex, and the shaft given inset rings so that the weapon could be slung on a strap across the back. By the time humans encountered the northern Thergerim, the hammer was already an omnipresent part of their aboveground attire, as unremarkable as the eating knife or nailstudded rock boots... but a novelty to the human tribes, who seized on this simple but practical tool and adapted it for their own physique and fighting style.

How the use of the Great Maul spread is unknown, and there may have been many factors, but some things are for sure: this weapon, while primitive, can be devastating in battle and its use is still widespread.
« Last Edit: 24 April 2010, 15:50:20 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2010, 23:23:49 »

Hey M'ruk!

I don't profess to be an expert on Santharian weapons or how the entries should be written, but it seems to me that you have a bit of a contradiction in your Origin section. First you say the origin has been lost and then that "records" exist. Surley it would be better to say "The true origins of the warhammer are lost in the mists of time, but a human legend common in the area around Voldar tells of a time, early in the [insert name of war], when a farm blacksmith, by the name of Sydus Goth, roused to the defense of his farmstead, led the counter-attack against the orcs wielding his smithy hammer. His awesome muscles and familiarity with the balance and use of the tool allowed him to use it to devastating effect and the orcs were routed. After the battle, Sydus realised just how formidable a weapon he carried and set about enlarging the head and studding it with nails in case of another orc attack. The legend goes that a bare three hours after the completion of the transformation of the hammer from tool to weapon a larger orc force attacked the farmstead, but were once again defeated by the simple peasant folk, emboldened by the sight of Sydus' devastating hammer. Similar legends exist across the length and breadth of Santharia, if not Sarvonia or even the entire disc of Caelereth." This avoids the contradiction implicit and gives the sense that this legend was chosen almost at random from a multitude of similar ones - but please don't think I'm trying to write the entry for you! Feel free to lift this, change it a bit, change it a lot, use it only as a basic framework or even ignore me altogether.

Hope my ramblings helped a bit.

Athviaro
« Last Edit: 14 April 2010, 03:35:40 by Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr » Logged

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Mīruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2010, 00:27:08 »

Thanks for looking to help, Athvario, but this isn't all mine. I merely copied and pasted this from an old thread, and am in the process of revising/rewriting/paraphrasing it. Also, the posticon means it is a work in progress, so please don't comment yet.

Mīruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2010, 01:27:33 »

Ok, ladies and gentlemen, this entry is now ready for comments.

Fire away!

Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2010, 02:10:16 »

You asked for comments, and I deliver

The Warhammer

Overview:

Warhammers are a weapon generally used by strong warriors in combat. With devastating power when used correctly, the Warhammer can break bones and cause blunt-force trauma Too scientific I'm afraid. To borrow a page from one of my favourite authors "grievous bodily harm" sounds much better. without even breaking the armour. Best against plate armour, when it is studded with spikes the warhammer's damage-dealing potential increases greatly.

Description:
Warhammers are made up of a heavy block of metal atop a long wooden shaft. The look of the head of the warhammer varies depending on the race it was made by; Dwarven warhammers are usually made of very strong alloysthis seems a little on the anachronism side, and the whole section isn't very well structured. It resembles a list as much as anything else, and needs a space somewhere to break it up, some have even known to be made of mithril, and are decorated with fine gold runes and patterns.Like what? Human warhammers are much the same, but less finely crafted and are usually very plain. If they're much the same, what makes them different? Do humans not use the same materials in their hammers?
SPACE
There are also varieties that are used by the larger races such as Trolls and Ogres, as these giants can carry a massive warhammer with one hand. Orcs are also known to use warhammers, especially those studded with spikes. Most varieties usually usually have a leather thong attached to the end of the shaft to ensure warriors don’t drop their weapon. We could use something in here about dimensions or weight. At the moment we really know nothing about what this weapon might looks like. Materials for the handle (not all wood is good wood after all) or for the head would be a good idea

Usage:
Many races use a variation of the warhammer. Humans and dwarves most commonly use them however. Elves rarely use this weapon, as it is too bulky for the nimble fighting style they are used to. As mentioned above Orcs, Trolls and Ogres also use the warhammer, and even Halflings have been seen to wield them.I doubt this one about as much as elves. Halflings aren't a physically strong or violent race. Anything a halfling could use as a weapon to hurt someone likely wasn't designed explicitly to injure other people. Knives, slings (and hob-bows) are all lighter weapons that could be used for something more practical and peaceful.

That aside, who? There has to be a tribe somewhere that would prefer these. And be sure you do your reading. I'd hate to think of a Shendar or a Zirghurim using one of these, to say nothing of Avennorians.

Fighting Style:
Warhammers are more cumbersome than most weapons, if not the most, but they can still pack a powerful punch, especially against multiple enemies. When facing more than one foe, the wielder swings the warhammer as hard as they can from side to side, keeping them from getting close enough to attack. The long shaft is what allows this to happen, and so we come to one of the greatest assets of the warhammer; the reach. Sometimes this tactic can be used against a single enemy, but more often the user of the warhammer will lift it above their headNot a very practical sort of attack, since it leaves your whole chest open to anyone who cares to put a knife into it, to say nothing of your arms. It would also be tiring. The process you might consider is this. Lift the head to shoulder height. Bash something (doesn't matter what, as long as you hit something) repeat.  and bring it crashing down, before lifting it and quickly repeating the process, until their adversary makes a mistake. They are able to do this for long periods of time- having had to train for long hours in order to be able to access the upper body strength essential to this weapon- but if they start to tire and their foe seems to show no sign of it, they can choose one of three options; continue, throw the warhammer, Or simply drop the weapon seems easier in the long run.or leap forwardThis really doesn't seem practical at all, I mean, leaping around is the sort of thing you see in cartoons, and you're already tired. and smash the head of their enemy. The first option is the safest but the least likely to gain victory. Besides leaving the wielder of the hammer unarmedYou'd really only carry one weapon? Not even a dagger? and vulnerable if they miss, the second option has another problem. Warhammers are very heavy, so are difficult to throw powerfully and accurately. The third option leaves the warrior vulnerable if they miss and as they jump.

All have problems, which is why warhammers are not the weapon of choice for most warriors. They are too heavy and unwieldy, leaving only those with immense strength able to use them efficiently. Those that can, however, become legends. One such example is Zigilrak the as a rule, nicknames are usually short. Zigilrak doesn't sound like a human so perhaps specify the tribe, since Milkengrad has several races that dwell there with their own Fratrae.WarHammer, a famous and much feared fratric leader of Milkengrad,When? who struck fear into the enemies wielding this formidable weapon.

Pros:

* Very heavy, so it can pack a huge punch when used correctlyHow heavy?
    * Difficult to fight againstHow?
    * Simple to make
    * Spikes can be added to pierce armourWhy would you worry about piercing the armor if the point of the weapon is that it doesn't need to?
   * Blunt, so it can cause a lot of blunt-force trauma without even breaking the armour

Cons:

* Very Heavy, so it is difficult to use for long periods of time
    * Clumsy, so it is difficult to use against multiple enemiesHey! Wait! What was this then? "especially against multiple enemies" (it's highlighted in yellow up there)
    * The shaft is easy to break Surely someone has figured out a way around this?
    * Blunt, so if thick enough armour is worn than the warhammer is uselessThis doesn't seem like it would be a factor. A hammer like this seems that it would have enough weight to ignore the armor. Or that enough armor to ignore a warhammer blow would be excessive.

Kill this list, with fire. Write it in sentences please.

Origin/History:

The true origins of the warhammer are lost in the mists of time, but a human legend common in the area around Voldar tells of a time, early in one of the Sarvonian wars, when a farm blacksmith, by the name of Sydus Goth, roused to the defense of his farmstead, led the counter-attack against the orcs wielding his smithy hammer. His awesome muscles and familiarity with the balance and use of the tool allowed him to use it to devastating effect and the orcs were routed. After the battle, Sydus realised just how formidable a weapon he carried and set about enlarging the head and studding it with nails in case of another orc attack. The legend goes that a mere three hours after the completion of the transformation of the hammer from tool to weapon a larger orc force attacked the farmstead, but were once again defeated by the simple peasant folk, emboldened by the sight of Sydus' devastating hammer. Similar legends exist across the length and breadth of Santharia, if not Sarvonia or even the entire disc of Caelereth.This is going to call for at least one more myth I think. Nybelmar or Northern Sarvonia.

How the use of the warhammer spread is unknown, and there may have been many factors, but some things are for sure: this weapon, while primitive, can be devastating in battle and its use is still widespread.

You need some work here it seems M'ruk. Color the bits that you've already added, if you don't mind, and then colour the changes. I've changed your icon back to the pencil. Which does not exclude you from being commented on if someone notices a glaring inaccuracy or contradiction and wants to make sure you catch it before putting the exclamation up.

That being said, there's plenty of contradictions and problems here that I've pointed out. And the entry skimps on details, which is never a good thing.
« Last Edit: 14 April 2010, 02:54:45 by Valan Nonesuch » Logged

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Seeker

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2010, 02:25:38 »

M'ruk

Well done, it will certainly be nice to get this basic weapon up on the site after all this time.  So Aura +1 from me because I like to see these weapons get done.  grin  

Just a couple of comments from my end:

Best against plate armour, when it is studded with spikes the warhammer's damage-dealing potential increases greatly.

I would remove the part about it being best against plate armour.  One, it doesn't really have anything to do with the rest of the sentence. and two, it is not really accurate.  the hammer is best against bare skin, then maybe clothed skin, then maybe chain mail, leather armour etc working ones way up to plate armour.

Most varieties usually usually have a leather thong

One usually too many.

Also be aware there already is a short description and picture of a warhammer being wielded by a dwarf in the Dwarf Tools & Weapons entry .  So just keep that entry in mind if you make any changes to the description.

Finally please take Valan's comments.  Valan is like a warhammer, blunt and deadly, but he is also accurate.  I hate to imagine what will happen if he upgrades to spikes.  shocked
« Last Edit: 14 April 2010, 02:33:42 by Seeker » Logged

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2010, 03:46:52 »

Point taken M'ruk. I know you were just revising it, but didn't think that was any reason not to post. Plese don't think it was a criticism (or if so, completely constructive), I was just pointing it out to you, and meant no offence. I see you still used it - I hope it's up to scratch, and I'm sorry the last part drew Valan's ire - I should have seen it coming. Maybe cut it to "the length and breadth of Sarvonia". But it's your entry.

Athviaro

"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Mīruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2010, 04:20:54 »

No, I should thank you Athviaro. I don't mind you pointing it out at all, and thanks for the constructive points you gave me. And I'm definitely keeping the last part. In fact, I'm relishing the chance to write another story!
« Last Edit: 14 April 2010, 18:49:09 by M'ruk Loshashzuk » Logged

Mīruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2010, 19:19:29 »

Ok, ready for comments again. Comments addressed in lime green.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2010, 20:47:08 »

Finally please take Valan's comments.  Valan is like a warhammer, blunt and deadly, but he is also accurate.  I hate to imagine what will happen if he upgrades to spikes.  shocked

Easy! Let's not let that get to his head.  buck

*adds some soft moss to the Valan-Hammer to soften his blows once in awhile*

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2010, 20:55:30 »

To this day, a warhammer is also called a 'kemruhnt' in this area of Sarvonia
Otherwise it sounds like the whole world knows this legend...

Mīruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 April 2010, 21:13:51 »

It's known as kemruhnt to all dwarves

Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 April 2010, 22:18:55 »

Khemrhunt is the Thergerim for warhammer, but I expect that the precise spelling is limited to dwarves on Sarvonia. Styrash varies between Sarvonia and Nybelmar (for various reasons) but it would stand to reason that the Nybelmarian dwarves might not be using Thergerim the same way as their Sarvonian cousins either.

(as are many Shendar warriors who use lumps of rock for the heads).
Sorry if you didn't get what I'd been saying, Shendar would certainly not use a warhammer. They live in a desert, and lugging around a big lump of rock would be a waste of resources. They also have those frightening double kilij and the bane whip to use as weapons, which makes everything else look wasteful I think.

If you're looking for a human tribe with that sort of martial tradition, the Erpheronians are a sure bet. They've fought with just about every tribe in southern Sarvonia at one point or another.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 April 2010, 23:06:21 »

It's known as a khemrhunt to all dwarves

Sorry, my mistake, but in that case say "To this day, the Dwarven word for 'warhammer' is 'khemrhunt'."

Avoids ambiguity - not everyone will know the Dwarven tongue off pat!

Athviaro

Mīruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 April 2010, 23:46:16 »

More comments please. Last ones were incorporated in teal.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]