Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Blackberry Bush  (Read 3447 times)
Shati Up

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 28 April 2010, 08:35:19 »

Categorization: Bush

Overview: The blackberry bush is a small shrub like plant that is utilized by the Shendar for it’s many usefull properties.  It has dark green leaves that grow to be about two nailsbreadths and two grains long.  It is named after its berries which turn black when they are ripe.  It’s branches are covered in thorns that can grow to be seven nailsbreadths and three grains at their largest.  

Territory:
The blackberry bush is found in the northern areas of the Ráhaz-Dáth dessert on the southern part of the continent of Sarvonia.  It is usually found a good distance away from trees and other blackberry bushes so it does not have to constantly fight for sunlight and water found underneath the ground.  The Shendar also sometimes grow small patches of blackberry bushes near their campsites.  A few unsuccessful attempts have been made to transport the blackberry bush into other desert environments.

Usages:
The leaves of the blackberry bush when ground up and used in a medicinal tea can help alleviate the effects of heat stroke, while the bark can be chewed to reduce dehydration.  This is extremely useful to the Shendar who spend most of their lives in the desert under the blazing hot sun.  The berries when mixed with water can produce a dye that is commonly used on Shendar clothing and pottery.  The roots are poisonous and within an hour after being eaten the victim will continuously vomit for the next hour.

Reproduction:
During the months of Rising Sun and Burning Heavens it grows light violet berries that turn black as they begin to ripen.  These berries are usually carried off by animals are other forces scattering the seeds.  Under the right conditions these seeds are carried off and will grow into a thorny shoot within one month and will fully mature in half a year.

Myth/Lore/Origin:
I don’t want to mess around with this part yet.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2010, 10:04:08 by Shati Up » Logged
Shati Up

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2010, 08:59:08 »

This is a very rough first draft.  I'm going to work on the theologiical aspects of the plant last.  Comments and ideas are welcome.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2010, 03:53:09 »

Shati, I'll try to get to you tomorrow, ok?

Just one thing you can alter already - don't pack too much detail in the overview, but add a description!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Shati Up

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2010, 04:06:00 »

Thank you Talia, I only have about an hour to spend on this site anyways.  But still, I shall await your comment like the diligent pupil I am.
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 June 2010, 11:34:31 »

Corrections
Comments

Categorization: Bush

Overview: The blackberry bush is a small shrub-like Is it shrub-like? Or actually a shrub? plant that is utilized by the Shendar for its many usefull properties.  It has dark green Mayhaps a "Santharian" colour here for flavour? Check out the Mis. links, there should be some colour info there :)leaves that grow to be about two nailsbreadths and two grains long.  It is named after its berries, which turn black when they ripen. What colour do the start as?  It’s branches are covered in thorns that can grow to be seven nailsbreadths and three grains at their largest. 

Territory:
The blackberry bush is found in the northern areas of the Ráhaz-Dáth dessert on the southern part of the continent of Sarvonia. in the South of Sarvonia, perhaps? Just a stylistic suggestion, choose your own path :) It is usually found a good distance away from trees and other blackberry bushes so it does not have to constantly fight for sunlight and water found underneath the ground. The Shendar also sometimes grow small patches of blackberry bushes near their campsites.  A few unsuccessful attempts have been made to transport the blackberry bush into other desert environments. Why have these experiments been unsuccessful? Do the seeds only hold for so long? Is there a certain property of the soil? Which other deserts? By whom? How fast do these things grow, and how do nomads have time to plant them? Many question left unanswered, my friend - can't wait to see the answers!

Usages:
The leaves of the blackberry bush, Capitalize Blackberry Bush! when ground up and made into a medicinal tea can help alleviate the effects of heat stroke, while the bark can be chewed to reduce dehydration. Interesting and fitting properties!  This is extremely useful to the Shendar who spend most of their lives in the desert under the blazing hot sun. The berries when mixed with water can produce a dye that is commonly used on Shendar clothing and pottery.  The roots are poisonous and within an hour after being eaten the victim will begin vomiting, and continue for at least an hour.

Reproduction:
During the months of Rising Sun and Burning Heavens it grows light violet berries that turn black as they begin to ripen.  These berries are usually carried off by animals are other forces scattering the seeds.  Under the right conditions these seeds are carried off and will grow into a thorny shoot within one month and will fully mature in half a year.

Myth/Lore/Origin:
I don’t want to mess around with this part yet.
A good start, and good luck! Does this bush perhaps have other names? Is there a legend on how some trickster animal was caught and forced to eat the roots? Or had its trap turned?

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2010, 21:45:52 »

*nudges*

Do split overview and description, if'n you please. The former is a brief sumarry of the important points in the whole entry, while the latter is a detailed description of the plants appearance.

Oh, and; Details, details, details! (More is always better, unless your name is Coren.)

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]