Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Archery!  (Read 4685 times)
Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« on: 10 May 2010, 02:41:15 »

grin Haha, just so that poor Seeker doesn't start pulling his hair out about the random chatter that's going on in his Hob-bow Pic thread I thought I'd open up an archery related topic out here. Who's all tried it? Who's all enjoyed it? It's such an awesome sport! Generally not very tiring out it focuses on attention, concentration and accuracy. Though there's obvious limits, it's a sport generally for people of all builds and statures.

I am currently vice captain of the dundee university archery club, one of the sport societies I've been with fro 3 running years now. Different to your typical 'jockey' sports I've found that archers are usually really fun and enjoyable people to be around with. Haha, god knows that if you're gonna be at a competition for 6 hours running you'll want them to be like that! I shoot a modern recurve bow, an absolute beauty ^^

So yeah, feel free to share your experiences of archery here

Hugs,

Jonael

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2010, 02:51:26 »

I've tried it a couple of times - when I was little I went to a school archery club, which was great. That means I must have been the problem, I was not great at all. I fluked a near-bullseye once, but never since, and I haven't done it for five, six, seven years, so when I did it as a one-off on a school trip, I couldn't hit the target from about ten metres! As I said over in Seeker's thread, I have only the deepest respect for those who can shoot a bow well - I just can't. I am left-handed and left-eye-dominant, so it is hard, because sometimes I have had to use a right-handed bow, so...

Anyway, there's my bow story.

It may be a Silver Shield, but it's not a shining bow.

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 17

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2010, 03:07:16 »

I like archery, but I haven't practiced it much. I would do it alot more if there was a team at my school. (I hate small schools so much)

"Vhodka is wonderful..."-Agran Velion
M´ruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 16

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2010, 03:15:00 »

I have tried archery, and discovered I have a bit of a talent for it, but I haven't really had the time to continue.A family friend of mine is an "ex-expert" archer, though he's probably very out of practice. How did you start, Jonael?

Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2010, 03:43:35 »

I've tried it several times, and own a small compound bow (with just two arrows :(), though I haven't had nearly the amount of practice I'd need to get good at it. I wish I had more opportunity to do it more often.

« Last Edit: 10 May 2010, 04:03:16 by Fox » Logged
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2010, 04:08:48 »

*Belligerently* Hey, Agran, what your problem with small schools?

Joking. As you say "SARCASM : D"

Athviaro

Proponent of Grassroots Education

"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2010, 04:32:32 »

Avthiaro, I totally get what you mean, being left eye dominant and having to shoot with a right handed bow can completely put your shot off. We had that problem this year. For one reason or another we had a huge influx of novices join the club beginning of this year. Amongst them was a surprisingly large amount of left eye dominant shooters! We only had a couple of lefty bows though Xp which caused some problems in sharing equipment and all.

I started archery in my first year at uni.. why? Haha, partially cause I loved the concept of archery. There's a certain 'zen' when you take a shot. Though on the surface it's about strength in your back muscles and stability while drawing back, there's a beautiful, more subtle side to it: you set your target, you control your posture, you watch your breathing, and once released finish off the movement gracefully so as not to affect the arrow's path in those very last seconds before it's left your bow. Another part though, and I know this might sound cliché but it was true, knew that archers would be the kind of people who wouldn't mind you having your head in the clouds and talk about fantasy and books and games ^^ Luckily for me I was right, and the club turned out to be a real pleasant bunch.

After the first half of the year I'd gotten the hang of things, bought my own bow, and been in the club ever since, enjoying every step of the way!

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2010, 04:58:38 »

Sounds great! *Kicks himself for not having kept on with the sport*

Yeah, the left-eye thing can be annoying, but it just makes me even more unique *Grimaces in a hideous attmept at a winning smile*. Anyhow, there's a question I've been wanting to ask about that for a while - are left-eyed people always left-handed and vice versa, or does the eye you use determine your handedness? Seems you'd be the guy to ask.

Have you ever seen the film "The Adventures of Robin Hood" with Errol Flynn (1938)? There's some pretty amazing shooting in that, I recall (not hard, I saw it for the umpteenth time a week or so ago).

*Limps out of the thread, having kicked himself a little bit too hard*

Athviaro the Regretful

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2010, 06:08:15 »

I did Archery my last year in high school, haven't done so since.
Shot a modern recurve bow, and apparently I wasn't bad at it, but the rest of the people were just too serious for me.

That and the fact that they threw out might arm guard, finger tab, quiver (which was awesome) and my arrows when the cleaned out lockers.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2010, 06:19:52 »

Yeah, the left-eye thing can be annoying, but it just makes me even more unique *Grimaces in a hideous attmept at a winning smile*. Anyhow, there's a question I've been wanting to ask about that for a while - are left-eyed people always left-handed and vice versa, or does the eye you use determine your handedness? Seems you'd be the guy to ask.

Haha, that was one of the things that confused the life out of me at the beginning. Apparently, though lightly relevant to which hand you write with, your dominant eye actually has very little to do with your writing hand. My flatmate here's right-handed, yet left eye dominant. Took a while to get used to! At the beginning of each year we just do a simple test to see which is your dominant eye, and the oddest results crop up, haha.

As for the movie, no, never seen it. I'll keep and eye out for it though!

@ Valan: Damn, they sound like a real nasty bunch. I guess my theory of archers = nice & fun people's disproved right there, haha. Odd that they'd throw everything out. As a club you'd have thought they'd help ppl store their equipment and try keep them going at it. I know we (used to) be fighting for numbers constantly. Archery used to be a 'looked down on' sport in first year.. now we're one of the biggest clubs, haha ^^

Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2010, 06:22:47 »

How do you even tell if you're left or right eyed? I have a feeling I might be left eyed, but I don't really know how I'd determine it.

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2010, 06:26:30 »

Hold up a finger or a pencil in front of you. Close one eye, then the other. Whichever one causes it to "jump" from where it seems to be when you have both eyes open is not your dominant eye.

Alternatively, make a roll out of some paper, and hold it up to your eye like a spyglass. Odds are, the eye you instinctively use is your dominant eye.

@Jonael this was the school's locker. They clean them out at the end of the year and bin everything. The people were fine, but like I said, a bit on the serious side.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2010, 06:27:49 »

Okay. I did that, and also did some tests I saw on Wikipedia. So yeah, apparently my left-eye is dominant. O.o

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2010, 06:42:50 »

Test I was told was:

Hold out hands in front of you

Make "L" shape with thumb and fingers and then put hands together to make a teardrop-shaped hole (or roughly oval)

Look through hole, both eyes open, at some relatively distant point and focus on it, not your hands.

Bring hands back towards face, keeping focussed on point through hole

The eye the hole "lands" over is your dominant eye (ie, the eye your hand covers is NOT your dominant.

@Jonael I didn't expect you to have, but there is some good accurate shooting, done by a man named Howard Hill, I think. Shooting people wearing pads &c, and - you know the story I assume? - of course the tournament.

And I think it's as well we didn't hijack Seeker's thread for all this!

Athviaro

Archery Admirer

Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2010, 06:58:36 »

There's a certain 'zen' when you take a shot.

Jonael, do you happen to know the book "Zen and the Art of Archery" by Eugen Herrigel? It's a German philosophy professor's account of studying archery with a Zen master in early 20th century Japan. I find it fascinating for the insight it provides of the differences between Western European and Japanese cultures.

"Forget hitting the aim", the master says.

"But it's what I'm doing this for, right?" the philosopher replies.

"If you concentrate on your desire to hit the aim, you won't hit it."

"So I can only hit it if I don't want to?"

"I suppose from your point of view, you would have to put it like that ..."

(These are not exact quotations; just a summary from memory.)

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]