Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dirk  (Read 1590 times)
Shadowwriter

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 22 May 2010, 05:18:39 »

Description
A bladed melee weapon twice as long as the average dagger, and half as long as a sword. Generally has a minimal cross-guard to guard the hand and sometimes a pommel to provide counter weight for balance and throwing.Usually a straight V-point double-edged blade. Made of iron or steel if available, usually a simple metal handle wrapped with leather or other material for grip. Occasionally decorated with simple designs for ceremonial use.

Usage
It is not a common weapon, but easily forged or made from broken weapons. It is used as formal wear in some parts or an eating utensil in others.

Fighting Style
It is a middling weapon that can be used to fence or guard against swords. It is also short enough to not be unwieldy against daggers or shorter blades. It can be thrown if properly balanced, and is utilitarian in defense and against uncommon weapons. It is commonly used with buckler-style shields in combat, both as a primary weapon and a shield-hand weapon with point down.

Origin/History
Developed by the northern Orc tribes as an easy to make and functional weapon. Used by Gob-Orcs and the Ashz-Oc among others. Was also used as an eating utensil in some parts.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2010, 02:15:49 by Shadowwriter » Logged

I am the Weaver of Words, and the Dreamer of Tales...
Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2010, 07:04:26 »

Description
A bladed melee weapon twice as long as the average dagger, and half as long as a sword. Generally has a minimal cross-tree and pommel to guard the hand and provide counter weight for balance and throwing.
A cross-tree? I'm not sure I'm familiar with the terminology. What's it made of? How long is it, exactly? Have you read the main site at all? or the instuctions which do mention this sort of thing.
Usage
It is not a common weapon, but easily forged or made from broken weapons. It is used as formal wear in some parts or an eating utensil in others.
Which parts? A dirk? An eating utensil? I would consider that a grave threat if my dinner guests were bringing daggers to the table.

Fighting Style
It is a middling weapon that can be used to fence or guard against swords. It is also short enough to not be unwieldy against daggers or shorter blades. It can be thrown if properly balanced, and is utilitarian in defense and against uncommon weapons.
This is the most vague fighting style section I have ever read. I would congratulate you, but it's not something to be congratulated for. This is like writing "pointy end away from you, don't let them hit you". Do you stab or cut? And I really don't think you could properly balance a dirk for throwing, no matter what you did to it. Balancing it for that sort of use would be wildly impractical and possibly quite time consuming.

Origin/History
It originally came from from some of the human hill-tribes as a cut down sword mounted to a dagger hilt. It was considered a hybrid weapon that fell into disuse, only being used in old ceremonies among certain families. Conversely it is used by some peasants who've come into possession of broken swords and daggers. Was also used as an eating utensil in some parts.At risk of repeating myself, do make sure you read the main site. If the weapon isn't integrated properly, it will not be added. That being said, who are these hill-tribes? We have names for our various peoples! Why humans? And must we call it a dirk? From what I know of the weapon's name, that's the scottish trying to wrap their mouths around gaelic, or some mucking about with german.

So then, I give you the newbie list. Read it, know it and follow it.

• Introduce yourself if you haven't already.
    • Read the main site even if you already have. Know it, love it, you'll need it to work here. A developer without the main site is a chemist without a periodic table.
    • Acquire an appropriate name! We have to call you something, so make sure you can pronounce it and avoid numbers.
    • Read everything over here
    • Settle down and get some work done.
    « Last Edit: 22 May 2010, 07:25:23 by Valan Nonesuch » Logged

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
    lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
    one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
    Shadowwriter

View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: 22 May 2010, 10:28:08 »

You are quite correct with the name, because thats exactly how it came about. I tried to introduce a real scottish blade in. I discovered that they do not in fact have a cross-tree. I did not know which tribe it would be best to thrust upon considering I have only read the most basic lore of the place. This was a trial run. A cross-tree by the way is the guard that comes away from where the blade and handle meet on a sword or dagger. The fighting style was vague in that it is very multi-purpose and historians are unsure of the exact form or have too many conflicting ways to use it. It was used as an eating utensil because in medieval times most ate with their knives of daggers at a table as forks and silverware were too expensive, only the rich having them. I will try to learn more before I elaborate and correct the blade. It is made of Iron, steel, or cut down swords. It is in it's most basic Idea a long flat V edged dagger. From description it was also used as a throwing weapon at times, and all blades and swords tried to achieve some sort of balance for ease of use, otherwise momentum and leverage would be shot and uncontrollable. Any other ideas on how to integrate would be nice, and I will strive to fix what I can.
    « Last Edit: 22 May 2010, 10:31:44 by Shadowwriter » Logged

Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: 22 May 2010, 12:19:08 »

As to the cross-tree, I've always found crossguard a better term. It doesn't actually seem to have a very wide guard at all.

So, now that we've made sure you're not a random newbie out to do silly silly thing with knives we can get down to grips yeah?

Two points here then:
    The Northern bit of the continent of Sarvonia (the continent where most of the developing goes on) is short on metal. You'd have to clear it with one of the big Northern developers but this seems the ideal sort of weapon to introduce up there.

Why stick with humans? It sounds very orcish to take a bit of weapon, bang a handle on it and call it a dagger. Orcs aren't usually the industrious sort, so they'd be happy to make dirks out of other folks' weapons, and if you take a look at our good friend the Ashz-Oc you can see that his sash there looks rather like a tartan. I imagine it'd be right at home with him.

My questions there were intended to be edited into the original post there. Don't tell me what should belong up there, add it! grin

Shadowwriter

View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: 25 May 2010, 01:16:20 »

I added and fixed a little to make it fit better into the continuum. It's still a bit sparse, so let me know if I need to add or amend anything else.

Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: 25 May 2010, 01:49:29 »

You need details. You've got the bones, but if you want this entry to move it needs some flesh to it. Dimensions, the design of the handle? Is it a straight blade or a curved, one edge or two? Fullers? You don't have to work in absolutes but the truth is most weapons have a sort of unspoken form that they comply with, even scavenged weapons like this.

The Kaaer'dar'shin have their own specific sort of dagger and they're not the type to be fighting much with the metal using tribes. They actually use a sort of bone dagger (I'm working on it at the moment) so you might not want to mention them.

One other thing, we use development icons to alert people to what state the entry is.
    When you go to edit a post, underneath the Subject box is a dropdown menu labelled "Message Icon"
    The ones you'll want to use are Dev Status one (The Pencil) which indicates that the entry isn't quite finished. The other one is Dev Status Two (The Exclamation Mark) which indicates that you've integrated the most recent round of comments and you want more.

The third development icon is the question mark. If you've got something that needs an expert opinion or something similar, throw it up there.

When the entry is approved, the mods (Myself and Seeker in this forum) or Artimidor (the webmaster and lord of all he surveys) will set it to Dev Status Four (A blue arrow). This is called blarrowing. If an entry has a green checkmark, it means it's been integrated onto the main site and shouldn't be touched.

That said, I've set your icon to Status One. Make sure you change it back when you're done.

Shadowwriter

View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: 25 May 2010, 02:13:13 »

Thanks will do, good to know about them too.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to:  

Recent
    [27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]