Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Kaaer'dar'shin Dagger  (Read 16885 times)
Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 08 August 2010, 00:00:22 »

See if I can't kick this one out of my list and into the upload queue. Edits in gold, though I'm still trying to work in the tsor-shotak explanation. I have left out the explanation of tang at the moment, for the same reasons (because it would be flow breaking).

And for Seeker

It's not very good, but it looks like how I think of it.

The patterns I'm thinking of on the blade (for the record) are a little inspired by Haida artwork. I'll see if I can't find some.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 08 August 2010, 08:06:09 »

This is looking great, Valan! I have some more comments to add:

The Rev'oq is the traditional weapon of the Kaaer half-orcs of Northern Sarvonia. It is an unusual weapon. The blade of the dagger is made of the bone of the great Tsor-Shotak lizard, while the handle is wrapped in leather made from its skin. The dagger is almost always acompanied by a t'lark (a buckler made of t'sor-shotak hide) and is a religious talisman for the clans of the Kaaer.

If I may tweak the Overview...I'd like to suggest some alternate wording:

"The weapon known as the "rev'oq" (Kaaer lit. "swift blade") is a short bladed weapon that carries much religious and practical significance for the Kaaer'dar'shin half-orcs of Northern Sarvonia. The blade is unusual in that it is carved from the bone of the deadly tsor-shotak lizard. This creature is considered sacred to the half-orcs and is hunted for not only its bone, but also its hide and meat. The entire dagger is carved from bone with the handle often wrapped in strips of the lizard's hide. The weapon is used along with the traditional Kaaer shield, or "t'lark". In the hands of an experienced Kaaer warrior, the dagger and shield combination provides quick and deadly strikes while the shield protects the warrior's forearm."

Description
The Rev'oq is a bone dagger, made from a single piece of tsor-shotak bone, cut and ground into a fine blade. Tsor-shotak bones are incredibly tough, and so the blade is not as weak as one might guess from its material. The blade is made from the shoulder of a tsor-shotak, ground down to a fine edge and point.  Unlike most weapons this dagger begins without an edge, in a sort of extended tang. It curves slightly, before fanning out into a longer, leaf shaped blade. The grip has a slight curve and is usually made out of one of the leg bones of the tsor-shotak, while the pommel may be one of its teeth or claws.

To the Kaaer'dar'shin and Mist Hunters, (no need to mention the Mist Hunters since the dagger carries significant importance to the entire tribe in different ways) the Rev'oq may represent a unique form of religious totem called a "To'vtar", which should be carried in battle. The handle of the dagger is usually adorned with some sort of charm such as the claw of an uncil cat, the fang of a tsor'shotak lizard, the tailfeather of a toran eagle or the tail of a snow wolf. The charm can be found adorning the pommel or the grip of the rev'oq. In addition, the blades and handles are quite often painted with patterns in red, yellow or blue, broad curves around small dots creating stylized teeth or eyes on the sides of the blade. Good!

Usage
The Kaaer'dar'shin half-orcs of Northern Sarvonia and the Mist Hunters by association with that tribe, are the only ones known to use the Rev'oq. Lack of access to Tsor-Shotak bones and the knowledge to make the knife also restricts their usage to the Kaaer these groups. On occasion an orc might be found with one of these daggers, however they usually break in orcish hands, since they are not accustomed to the relative fragility of the blades.

Fighting Style
The Rev'oq is not a weapon that stands up well to armor or to blocking. It is intended to be used with as little fuss from the party on the receiving end of the blow as possible. The Kaaer are quite adept at stealth, and the curve of the blade, as well as it's leaf shape makes it excellent for slicing flesh throats as much as it is a tool for cutting things.

A harsh stabbing motion can chip or break the blade, so ideally, the motion made with it is a long cut, either with the blade held point down in the hand, or a short cut with the blade held point up. How effective this motion will be is determined by where one strikes the target. Favoured points to aim for are behind the knee, the elbow and underside of the shoulder, the neck and the inside of the thigh.

Additionally the blade can be coated with Tsor'shotak saliva to add to the lethality. Tsor'shotak saliva is remarkably toxic, and the infection resulting from a wound contaminated with this substance is a painful, slow way to die.

It would be lax to mention the Rev'oq without mentioning the t'lark which so often accompanies it. The t'lark is a buckler made of the hide of the tsor-shotak lizard. Fighting including the t'lark keeps the buckler close at hand and exclusively uses this to block, to prevent the dagger from being damaged or broken. The t'lark is often used to make an opening by feinting an attack with the buckler, by shoving or even striking an opponent with the shield. The t'lark also serves to keep the dagger hidden from view by the opponent which allows a Kaaer warrior to lash out with the edge of the dagger in a surprise attack.

While the Kaaer try to avoid stabbing attacks with the dagger, if necessary the t'lark may be used to add extra weight to the dagger thrust by placing the hand holding the dagger in front of the buckler before striking.

An excellent section! Good stuff.

Origin/History
The origins of the Rev'oq are lost to time. The Kaaer believe the method of creating the knives from the Tsor'Shotak to be a gift from the spirits, a way to bring them closer to Durgho and the Beasts in nature since they have neither claws or fangs.

I think this first paragraph will need tweaked, but I am not sure how...I would like some kind of myth/lore with the origins of the dagger given how important it is to the tribe. Let me think on some ideas...

The Themed'lon, where the Kaaer dwell, contains no ore-bearing rocks, or other particularly durable materials, thus the tsor-shotak's bone was found to be the best substitute, much like the Ashz-oc use the wood of the ironwood tree to make weapons. The dagger can be made from stone, but most Kaaer'dar'shin prefer the weapons be made out of bone. (Another reason because the bone is lighter than stone?)

The first Kaaer'dar'shin warrior, Temuuj Tartaan is said to have been given the design for the Rev'oq by Durgho, the Beastlord. One of the duties of a new warrior is to teach a younger warrior how to craft a dagger from the hide of the tsor-shotak, and it is with this dagger that the tsor-shotak hides for a t'lark must be taken. The Kaaer'dar'shin dagger is central to the hunt, and is sacred. The first adornments to a new dagger are often made with the blood of the first creature that it slays.

One of the ways young children are taught how to hunt is to give them a blunt or broken dagger with nutshells attached on bits of cord on the handle. These jangle together, making noise. The children must then track and "kill" their teacher or another student, who must evade the hunters for as long as they can.

Yes, we need some origin and history, especially if this weapon is so important. I would like a myth origin fir sure perhaps involving Temuuj Tartaan. We'll also need some bits on how the three clans each use the dagger. I apologize...my tribe is undergoing some revision and both entries need to be somewhat consistent. Give me a few days with some ideas.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Seeker

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 08 August 2010, 10:56:56 »

Thanks for the pic Valan.  A budding artist I see.  Well that shape would indeed be difficult to describe so I think you did the best possible job there.  I'll just let Azhira make the rest of the comments.  I will be watching from afar.   :)

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 08 August 2010, 11:07:07 »

Funny story, I had some browser issues while working on this and the edits got lost. Quite a few of your comments would have been addressed too buck

@Seeker: I'll make no lies about this, I do not draw. Photomanipulation on the other hand, and a little bit of working with scanned line art, I do when the fancy strikes me.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2010, 11:10:04 by Valan Nonesuch » Logged

Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 16 August 2010, 09:01:12 »

I mised mentioning this. I think most of Azhira's comments have been integrated now in this colour but I can't be sure.

Seeker

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 19 August 2010, 02:35:03 »

Valan, Azhira mentions that there is no need to mention the Mist Hunters.  As not all Mist Hunters are Kaaer'dar'shin the following paragraph seems a bit out of place.  Separate references about the dagger always being made out of Tsor-shotak bone make this paragraph a bit out of place as well.  I would suggest this paragpraph is not necessary.

This Mist Hunters do not make their weapons out of tsor-shotak bones.The great lizards do not live near their territory, in and around the Mists of Osthemangar, and so they craft their blades out of the teeth and spines of the vile spined wyrms of the Mists. The blades are attached to their handles with the noxious spit of the wyrm, a sticky substance which hardens quite well, and wrapped in whatever available hide can be found. This affects the appearance of the blade. A Mist Hunter Rev'oq seems to be stained yellow with a black handle, a result of the materials used in the construction.

Also Azhira provided some suggestions for the overview paragraph that you did not incorporate.  Was this on purpose or just missed?

Overall I am still loving this weapon. thumbup

« Last Edit: 19 August 2010, 02:36:41 by Seeker » Logged

Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 20 August 2010, 07:37:03 »

I keep having the trouble of starting the edits and not getting to finish them. And it seems my last mention was wrong. Current edits are in yellow

Azhria's comments about the Mist Hunters are, I believe, specific to the mentions in those sections. The Mist Hunters use Rev'oqs that are not made of the same materials, and apparently are a subset of Kaaer'dar'shin (even though not all of them are Kaaer? We're running into one of those incidental obstacles in developing in the north: the Styralias Inconsistancy. It could be that the Mist Hunters and Kaaer are like rectangles and squares. Not all the Mist Hunters are Kaaer, but enough of them are to include them in the tribe?). Yes I think I'm tripping over older versions of the draft and holes in my own information. I can't remember but I seem to recall Azzy mentioning that the Mist Hunters wouldn't use tsor-shotak in their weapons since it can't be found by the mists, ergo it does need to be covered separately.

The bit with the overview was probably deliberate. I prefer to avoid outright use of someone else's writing where I can and Azhira occasionally prefers to rewrite sections of entries rather than lisiting problems or making suggestions. There was a bit of horrid grammar up there that i've fixed though

@Azhira: If you happen to read this, clear it up for us? Are the Mist Hunters separate or not? Are all of the Kaaer or what-have-you?

Also can't just tell me what is wrong with the existing overview? As it is, the only additions in your version I can note are about the tribe itself and their use of the lizard, which are mentioned both later in this entry as well as in the entry on the Tsor-shotak and the Kaaer belief system if not the tribe entry (which is sort of a muddle at the moment). As far as I can tell, it doesn't need to be included in the overview, which is about the weapon, and not the Kaaer religious system or the tsor-shotak lizard. I've left it unaltered. Overviews cover the gross entry, the entry itself covers details and I shall prefer to keep it like that.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2010, 07:56:26 by Valan Nonesuch » Logged

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 20 August 2010, 08:18:48 »

It only seems inconsistent due to the ongoing development of the tribe at the moment.

The Mist Hunters are considered a clan of the Kaaer. They are Kaaer, but the difference is that they are a separate, nomadic group with the majority of them located in the Mists area. They do not use traditional tsor-shotak materials (for daggers, clothing, t'lark etc) because the lizard is not native to the Osthemangar area. Instead, the Mist Hunters use bone from other animals such as the spinewyrm.

Do not mention the Hunters and the Kaaer as if they are separate groups. Instead mention the Hunters are a sub-group of the Kaaer tribe. Additionally, full-blooded Osther-Oc do become members of the Hunters giving them privileges that native-born Kaaer would have. But that is not relevant to this entry and covered in the tribe entry.

One issue I notice with this overview Valan is that it is rather lacking with regards to detail and passion for the tribe. Your overview gives a straight-to-the-point summary but I like to see some other details and bits that give some history and/or other interesting facts. The re'voq is significant to the Kaaer in that it is considered a religious sacred to'vatar. It has meaning to them. This entry is not about a simple dagger made of bone, but a tool divinely given to the Kaaer by their spirits. Its more than just a dagger and this is what you don't seem to grasp in this entry and what I am trying to convey to you.

Essentially, you are writing not only a weapon entry, but a mythological entry as well. You can't have a dagger without the religion nor can you have the religion without the dagger. The overview should make this clear to the reader right away. If the significance of both cannot be conveyed properly, then please take a moment to re-think this entry before a blarrow.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 12 September 2010, 22:22:39 »

At this point I would imagine that the overview has taken as much frankensteining as it can. If further edits are needed, it might just be easier to rewrite the section than to try to knock together something coherent from the various bits and pieces.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 14 September 2010, 02:39:33 »

The entry looks very good, Valan, with all the sufficient lore attached to the dagger. i am quite pleased how it turned out and I thank you for writing an essential piece for my tribe!  thumbup

+1 Aura. I'll leave the grammar/cohesion uri for others. I was concerned with the general concept of the re'voq as it pertains to the tribe and you pulled it off now.

Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 16 September 2010, 00:35:54 »

Right, Seeker, I'm going to blarrow this, hopefully you shant have any objections.

Seeker

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 16 September 2010, 09:18:14 »

Thwaaaaaangggggg!!!!!!
« Last Edit: 16 September 2010, 09:21:33 by Seeker » Logged

Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 16 September 2010, 10:57:09 »

Hmm. I think that arrow needs an entry...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #58 on: 16 September 2010, 14:33:47 »

*hehe*  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 16 September 2010, 15:58:06 »

The Blarrow Arrow grin

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]