Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hopefully I can be of assistance  (Read 3832 times)
Porphyro

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 08 August 2010, 02:12:56 »

Salutations, everyone.

What urged me to come here was a desire to RP, but reading your site, I decided that joining the developers' forum would potentially be more fun. Not implying that the RPs are boring in any way, of course; it's just that I love constructing cultures and languages, with a slight emphasis on the latter.

I am from Sweden, and I study linguistics, focusing particularly on Japanese (Modern, Classical, and Old) and, to a lesser extent, other East Asian languages, such as the many varieties of Chinese. Other interests include history -- I "specialize" (meaning I've read a few books about it) in Asia and the Americas before Columbus -- as well as some natural sciences, philosophy, history of religion, and cultural history. Sometimes, I like to think I am good at writing, but as you can see by looking at this message, my style is rambling and verbose, quite awful if I may rate myself.

Well, I don't know what else to say, really. Languages are sort of my strong point, and though I strongly doubt you can say I actually have a talent for it, I have studied linguistics for many years and am reasonably well informed about the topic. Hence, if it is possible, I would like to work in the Languages section, but it is by no means necessary; I am glad to help out in any way I can.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2010, 02:52:12 »

Ooo ooo, a real linguist!  You are most welcome, dear Porphyro (and I like your name, if I may dare to say so...) to our humble universe of dreams....

Please do NOT look at ThergerimTaal or I shall be embarrassed, as I cobbled it together as needed...but there are some cool things needing to happen with Gnomic that have never really gotten off the ground.  Someone needs to take that tongue in hand (er, excuse the mixed metaphorical picture there) and sort it out...

As to verbosity, I should be the pot calling down the kettle if I critiqued you there; you are by no means the only one to enjoy the flavour of words! 

Please have a look around, enjoy the FAQ and Newcomer's section (top right side of the screen; click the golden claw holding the 'welcome' bar if it's not visible) and have a few Dochnut and Kao-Kao cookies while you are waiting - our traditional welcome for our newest Compendium guests!

Masterbard Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Porphyro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2010, 03:10:58 »

You are most welcome, dear Porphyro (and I like your name, if I may dare to say so...) to our humble universe of dreams...

Thank you very much.

I used to call myself Porphyrogennetos before but I feel it's too long, and furthermore, what is it if not hubris to claim to be Byzantine royalty? (Here I would insert an emoticon if I could bring myself to use them -- but alas I can't, as I am afraid I'd choose the wrong one).
Someone needs to take that tongue in hand (er, excuse the mixed metaphorical picture there) and sort it out...

I am happy to work with any language, or, alternatively, to make one up from scratch. Is there anything in particular that needs to be done?
you are by no means the only one to enjoy the flavour of words!

Indeed. Countless are the delights of words. English (and Swedish and Japanese and surely every other tongue in existence) contain too many wonderful vocabulary items that go unused just because they are archaic/poetic/outdated/pedantic/whatever.
Dochnut and Kao-Kao cookies while you are waiting - our traditional welcome for our newest Compendium guests!

Once again, thank you for the welcome, and also for the Dochnuts and Kao-Kao cookies, whatever that may be.
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2010, 03:24:01 »

Welcome! Linguists are always welcome here :) Hope to see you and your wonderful face around!

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Sparkle
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2010, 03:30:39 »

Another Swede! Hej på dig. Don't be afraid to use the wrong smilies, they are somewhat interchangeable. And I promise it's all right, we'll forgive you if you use the wrong one! Most of the time.

Here and there, whole mighty trees glowed with an emitted phosphorescent light. You could trace the very course of the great roots in the earth by a faint light that came through; and every twig, and every vein on every leaf was a streak of pale fire.
George MacDonald, Phantastes
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2010, 04:36:05 »

Hej! (I hope that's the same in Sweden; I'm half Danish)

Honestly, verbose is fine, and it's great to have a linguist on board. Your writing style seems just fine to me, I think you are being hard on yourself. Welcome to the place where Dreams come true (umm, soundbite alert, sorry)!

And you can work anywhere you want; write entries, contribute to discussion, this is your Dream as much as anyone else's. If languages "float yer boat" then I would head over to that forum with all haste.

And eat those Dochnuts and Kao-Kao Cookies before the Orcs get here!

*Bows floridly to the Byzantine noble and departs, gracefully stealing several confectionary delights*

Welcoming Party in Lieu of More Senior Remusians

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Porphyro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2010, 08:13:12 »

Hope to see you and your wonderful face around!

Thanks, I think I'll enjoy my "stay" here as well. I must express some doubt, however, as to the wonderfulness of my face. It is very plain.

Another Swede! Hej på dig.

Hej pa dig ocksa. Are there many Scandinavians here?

(As you might notice, I have an English keyboard.)
Hej! (I hope that's the same in Sweden; I'm half Danish)

Yeah, 'tis the same. Oh, and hej to you as well.

And you can work anywhere you want; write entries, contribute to discussion, this is your Dream as much as anyone else's.

I'll look around and see what seems interesting. Languages do indeed "float my boat," and I will probably do a lot of linguistics-related work, but I am, as I mentioned in my introductory post, also into culture and religion, so I'll check that out as well.
*Bows floridly to the Byzantine noble and departs, gracefully stealing several confectionary delights*

As I don't know anything about proper Byzantine etiquette, I guess I'll simply have to bow as well.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 August 2010, 11:12:16 »

Oh, I do so like people with strange names. Mine is rather stolen, but that's something of a habit. Enjoy the site, gods know we could use a few more good hands in the languages.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 08 August 2010, 13:26:17 »

*clears throat* Gnomic.... *cough cough*

http://www.santharia.com/dev/index.php/topic,13312.0.html

Please don't be too hard on us non-linguists!   I was trying to sort out the incomplete notes of another developer who has not graced us with her elven persona for several years, and set some simple, easy-to-follow rules for our Gnomish language, "Gnomic", which we would like to have play the part of Latin in this universe (the scientific, alchemistic, elaborate words which have become loanwords in Tharian/English...)   

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 August 2010, 16:21:50 »

As I don't know anything about proper Byzantine etiquette, I guess I'll simply have to bow as well.

Actually...I guessed.

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2010, 10:36:33 »

A linguist!    grin grin grin

I'm quite interested in linguistics myself, though I don't think I'm exactly qualified to call myself a linguist.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.   :)

Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 August 2010, 20:03:01 »

Heya Porphyro,

I'd say 'Aha! A linguist!' but I think that's been overused by now, haha.

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy yourself around here, there's just such an abundance of shiny and intricate new ideas, and some of the most awesome and friendly people about. You'll enjoy yourself no doubt.

I've always been a little confused as to what 'linguist' encapsulates. Does this term solely cover the study and theory of a language? I'm fluent in plenty of them, but this blossomed more out of joy for communicating and necessity than a fascination with the theory behind them. Tagging something as formal and academic -sounding as 'linguist' on to that though has always seemed questionable to me. Regardless of what I'd call it though, know that you've got someone here who equally shares your passion for languages ^^

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 11 August 2010, 03:47:47 »

I'm late as always to welcome you, Porphyro, due to update stress and all that jazz - but I'm glad to see someone with language skills around ;) - Sounds good as well that you try your hand on making gnomish your focus. Would be lovely to have an expert on a specific language like that, that's pretty much what we need there, especially as the language should also feature prominently in scholarly works as far as alchemy and related things are concerned. So yup, go for it, all for that! Oh, and once again welcome to the Dream! thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Porphyro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 August 2010, 23:04:24 »

Thanks for the welcome, all of you. This does indeed seem like a very friendly place, and I'm sure I'll enjoy my time here, if you can put it like that when referring to an Internet forum. 

though I don't think I'm exactly qualified to call myself a linguist.

If we go by actual qualifications, you can't call me a linguist either, just a student of linguistics. I've yet to receive an actual degree in the subject, but I'm working on it...

Does this term solely cover the study and theory of a language?

Yes, that's correct. If you like learning and speaking languages, but could not care less about the study of grammar, semantics, etc., the term "linguist" might be inappropriate, or at least in academic contexts. I don't really know a more fitting term, though; maybe something like glossophile or linguophile (although I must admit they sound a bit pretentious).

sounds good as well that you try your hand on making gnomish your focus.

I'll be delighted to make Gnomish my focus. I've looked over the material already available on it, and I have some ideas how to make it into a (hopefully) expressive but not too complicated language. After all, constructing languages is my main hobby.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 12 August 2010, 01:49:09 »

Great to hear, Porphyro! I also am very much in favour of making the attempt to make the language not too complicated, because it gets difficult for people to understand how it works - see e.g. the Styrásh tongue, which is heavily influenced from Latin with all the declinations and conjugations, and that's not exactly the easiest language to grasp or quickly construct sentences when you need them...

What we should also aim for is to explain the language on site as "simple" as possible, so that you don't need to have studied for a few years to get the gist of it ;)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]