Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: art person here.  (Read 3207 times)
Faio

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« on: 19 September 2010, 05:48:08 »

Salutations, I am Faio. Also known as Fáiorríl - neglectful mini mod and frequent IRC lurker - over on the RPG side. I am an artist. I work in traditional media but am quite proficient with digital editing. I like drawing people. Here is a link to a portfolio of mine.
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2010, 06:12:52 »

Hi Faio,

and welcome to the Dev Board. I'm glad you've made your way over here. I don't think we've met much on the RPG side, although I do remember your name from there. (I'm Fu and Lili.)

Faio, that's a beautiful portfolio you've got there. I find several pictures profoundly moving. To mention but a few: I have been to Garden Parties like that. The old man in charcoal is one whose gaze one does not easily forget. And the Guardian - well, he deserves a compendium entry, doesn't he? (If you were prepared to 'give' him to us, that is. Of course it's up to you to say whether you want to submit a given picture to the compendium.)

You seem to be an expert at portraits, among other things, and there are many Person entries that are crying out for a portrait. But it's not up to me to say in which direction you want to go. Just explore and see what interests you. In any case, I hope you'll find joy and meaning here on the Dev Side, and maybe a piece of writing or two could even inspire you to further work?

So once again: Warmest welcome!

Shabakuk

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2010, 06:48:06 »

:D

Valan points at Faio and scurries away excitedly

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2010, 07:14:23 »

Wow another artist.  Great!  We have so many entries and so few active artists to fill the pages with color.  So you are welcome here for sure.  I particularly like your drawings Faio.  My absolute favorite is the old man charcoal drawing. 

One possibility:    If you were to do something similar with your old man as in Faugars tutorial on portrait drawing you would be able to get that one up somewhere in no time. We would find a place for him.

Great to have you.  I am looking forward to what you come up with.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
seth ghibta
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 138

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2010, 00:33:39 »

Hi Faio, and welcome to dev side! i dunno if you remember our breif run-in on the RP side, it was a very long time ago, but if i remeber rightly you're a pretty good writer as well as, it turns out, a fantastic artist! the stuff on the link is beautiful, and you've an incredible ability to catch human (and similiar ;)) figures and features in a way that seems effortless. can't wait to see what you do for Santharia. :)

violence is not the answer, but you get marks if you show your working.

Santharia needs your molluscs! donate molluscs now!
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2010, 08:36:37 »

Valan scurries back in carrying a plate pilled high with assorted and sundry treats and goodies. "There'scaocoaanddochnutcookiesandhotchaandallsortsofthingsooooh!Whatarethese?"Valan points at something on the tray Idon'tknowmaybeittastesgood?TRYIT! :D

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2010, 14:12:46 »

Welcome Faio!

As the others already said - nice to have another artist here, but welcome as a writer also (with a seth-recommendation! )

You seem to be a talented young artist and with  additional effort at least some of your works would be fit for the site. Most of your work does not fit to the style of the site though.

Are you wiling to share with us?

I bet you have been an Eophyrhim on the RPG side, right? That picture would be the great. The face is done so well, I admire the expression.

But, how fit are you with digital painting? For that Eophyrhim picture would need some work e.g.
Those lines (from the paper or from scanning?) would have to go, some more structure (forest?) in the background, for my eyes the ear seems a bit too attached. But otherwise - you have read the entry of those elves!

As the others already said, your drawings are impressive as well - just not coloured, and we want to have coloured pictures only, try to remove the old black and white ones.

What cannot go on the site are your life drawings. But I find them very cool, partly because I had the opportunity to do some myself as well. How much time did you have to do a single picture? Five or ten minutes?

Well, welcome again!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2010, 22:10:35 »

Salutations, I am Faio. Also known as Fáiorríl - neglectful mini mod and frequent IRC lurker - over on the RPG side. I am an artist. I work in traditional media but am quite proficient with digital editing. I like drawing people. Here is a link to a portfolio of mine.

Yeah, that's nice and all. So when is your first Santh picture coming? Don't be like some newbies around here - all talk and no product.  :D

Just kidding! Good to have you on this wide of the world, Faio! We LOVE artists. Just ask Seeker, Bard, Tikki and the rest. We shower them with aura and feed them, hug them and call them George. Ok, maybe not George...

Anyway! Yay! Faio!

I expect a picture soon. I know where you live. Sort of.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Faio

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2010, 00:54:59 »

Hurray for warm welcomes ^^ Thank you all for the kind words! And to those of you I haven't met before, *gives a big hug* Nice to meet you!

Seth, I do remember you quite well. You were a very noticeable and loveable presence in the Tavern. :)

Shabakuk - I shall go wander through the Person section and see if there are any entries that spark inspiration. I will admit though that I am a bit nervous and doubt my ability to create something good enough.. I'll have to start with the really easy portraits first.

Seeker - I've gone through the tutorial and I'm sure I could do something similar with that piece. Does it matter if it was drawn from a photograph? Will that have copyright problems?

Valan - Yum! *grabs a handful of cookies and starts munching* Mmmnom nom I adore you ^^ I do believe I'll come to like it here. *grabs some more cookies*

Talia - you have raised legitimate concerns. I'll start by saying that the portfolio is meant to give an idea of my work - my personal work that I do for myself. I have every intention of making my new pieces for this site appropriate in style, skill and content. I won't be using pre-existing things as far as know. Easier to just start out fresh.
As for the digital painting.. I work with a mouse, since I don't agree with the way my tablet functions, so I may not be as awesome at it as some would hope for.. I will try my best though. I've looked at Faugar's tutorial (the one Seeker linked) and I feel somewhat confident in being able to match that. We shall see?

Azhira - Hopefully I start soon but I've got some silly technical problems that will make work slow and inconvenient for the time being.

~Faio~
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2010, 03:37:42 »

Art person here as well, Faio! wave That is: Art, the person... ;)

I see you've got great talent, which is very evident in pieces like the old man or the guardian guy - you can convey great expressions there, and these would make great characters in a fantasy world! :) As has been pointed out already which you have to take into account: The thing about Santharia is that we try to go for a consistent look of our pictures, which means that we go for coloured digital paintings or pictures that match the style of such images. So you should try to strive for something like that. You could also try to colour the old man e.g. The guardian guy you also have in a coloured version as I see - this looks already pretty integratable, well maybe the trees could use some more texture, but other than that, fine work!

As for drawing from photographs: I guess it shouldn't be a problem to draw characters based on photographs -  if you are so good that a picture looks like a photograph you can still always add a beard or something... ;) Oh, and you could always try your hand on an object, something you find in our Misc. section. I'm sure people would love to see drawing of amulets, daggers, even books with an interesting cover would all be cool for starters :)
« Last Edit: 21 September 2010, 03:45:16 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 September 2010, 08:40:02 »

Yes I agree with Art regarding copyright issues.

Copyright issues arise when you use a photograph or another piece of artwork which you copy.  Generally these issues come into play when you are copying another persons work for money.  In which case the victim has rights to some of that money.  However when you are drawing and painting just for fun (like we do on this site)  it really doesn't come into play.  I would not try and sell a piece of artwork that is obviously copied from someone else's photograph and even on this site if it looks too photorealistic it may look a little tacky.  But Art points out exactly what you want to do.  If you flip the photograph add something new, color it,  or taking something away and make it a work of your own then you avoid copyright problems even if you were trying to sell it. 

An example of what I mean from my portfolio, the Kaimun picture was done based on a photograph and really isn't altered too much, I would not sell that picture even if I had the opportunity.
However my Orcristh Orc was based of the body of John Cena the wrestler, however I think enopugh was altered I would not have an issue with selling that picture.  grin

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 22 September 2010, 10:31:17 »

It's called using photoreferences, and while some artists consider it 'cheating', others consider it essential (Norman Rockwell, for one).  Personally, as long as you have actually drawn every pixel of the finished artwork yourself, I find photos a valuable tool, not much different from 'life drawing' or using still-lives and models.   The difficulty is that with various filters and computer tools, it becomes easy for artists to simply alter a photograph digitally rather than put the work in to physically recreate the images they want.    I use photoreferences for everything I draw, whether that be scales on a reptile, the musculature on a man's chest, equine legs at a gallop, or buildings.  I use about six or seven different drawing programs - some which help me create architectural elements and textures, others which have vegetation and leaf simulation software, some with 'stamps' and brushes that shorten the work of placing repetitive elements.... and obviously I do not consider that 'cheating' if they are melded into a pleasing whole and a convincing final image.   Considering that I'm not being paid for any of the images here, if they satisfy the Compendiumists and other viewers, and allow me to develop as an artist (I say that humbly as I am in the strictest sense an amateur), then I am satisfied with the results.

Seeker, I don't think Cena's mother would recognize him from that picture, so you're pretty safe!  LOL - though perhaps I'll go googling his name now just to ogle some muscles....

Faio, welcome yet again.  I hope you've been fed - ah, yes, I see Valan got you some cookies - and have a nice warm cubicle to store your art supplies in?   Just ask one of those lazy pageboys we keep around the Compendium if you need anything else.  Here's a Compendiumist Guest Researcher's pass - just hang that around your neck and you can wander anywhere at www.santharia.com through the halls without being stopped.  Enjoy your wanderings, and we hope to see inspiration waken in your eyes!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 22 September 2010, 19:56:17 »

As for photo references: Besides, as an artist you first need to be that good that the picture you draw resembles a photo so closely that it's unmistakably that exact person... ;)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 23 September 2010, 01:19:10 »

As for photo references: Besides, as an artist you first need to be that good that the picture you draw resembles a photo so closely that it's unmistakably that exact person... ;)

That's true!  lol

Mimi doesn't look a bit like the girl I used as a photoreference.

Photoreferences are a double-edged thing. It is one thing to look at a picture and try to draw from it as you would do with a living person, OR if you just scan it in (or fetch it from the internet) and take it as an underlying layer. That's called overpainting and is legal (but a bit looked down upon), if you mention the source.

I planned to open a thread for discussing such things anyway in the art forum, for I think it is important to be correct what this matter concerns. Some artists e.g. think, that one should mention the texture used which is created by another person etc.., independent if you make money with your work or not.

But I need to collect the stuff/ examples first.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]