Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: MOON: What did he during the Year of Darkness?  (Read 9800 times)
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #30 on: 07 November 2010, 09:21:18 »

Also, 'dark' isn't really the problem. It's 'cold'.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 November 2010, 09:26:55 »

Maybe the orc mommas knitting guild (of which I understand Azhira is the patron and founder evil ) got together leading up to year of darkness and knitted mittens, beanies, jumpers, leg (stalk) warmers etc for the plants and animals and gave them to the plants and animals so they didn't freeze their little tootsies and roots off during the year? evil

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 07 November 2010, 20:32:05 »

It will be only fairly dark with our moon being around 24 hours.

Cold - I think we still think too earthen. Of course it will be much colder than without sun, but we don't need to let the temperature sink below 50 degrees or less, we can just say, that it got no colder than, say, 40 degrees, or 30 (Celsius). It could even be less. The problem would then rather be, that the plants die because they don't get enough water due to the permanent frost.
But, as I said before, with seeds germinating it would be no problem. Famine will occur of course.

Hey, it seems as if I have to defend the Year of Darkness - it is  a dev fact, though it might have started out as a myth, it is as a real event in the history table - the myth is just that it was Foiros which took the sun away.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 November 2010, 21:17:04 »

It will be only fairly dark with our moon being around 24 hours.

How do you come to that conclusion? Haven't you said previously that the Caelereth moon reflects the light of the Caelereth sun? If it does that, and the Year of Darkness is caused by the sun going away for the year, how will it only be 'fairly dark'.

Cold - I think we still think too earthen. Of course it will be much colder than without sun, but we don't need to let the temperature sink below 50 degrees or less, we can just say, that it got no colder than, say, 40 degrees, or 30 (Celsius). It could even be less. The problem would then rather be, that the plants die because they don't get enough water due to the permanent frost.
But, as I said before, with seeds germinating it would be no problem. Famine will occur of course.

30 Celsius is still very hot, Talia. I live in and have lived in an area that is above 30 degrees celsius for most of the year, and getting just that low really isn't cold.

Hey, it seems as if I have to defend the Year of Darkness - it is  a dev fact, though it might have started out as a myth, it is as a real event in the history table - the myth is just that it was Foiros which took the sun away.

No, you don't need to defend the Year of Darkness, Talia. What needs to be decided is how things managed to survive during and after the Year of Darkness. We need to come up with a way for it to make sense that there is still life on Caelereth after that year.

I made a few suggestions to Valan and Azhira in irc the other day ... they basically didn't like any of them. They were different ideas to the ones I've come up with in here. I'm going to say in here what i said in irc to them ... it gets rather confusing to me when on one hand people are saying 'we need to come up for reasons for things that make sense' and then every idea you come up with on things you're told either 'that's too complicated' or 'too much detail' or variations on that theme.

It is a fantasy world, afterall, maybe things just survived because they just survived.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 November 2010, 22:30:34 »

How do you come to that conclusion? Haven't you said previously that the Caelereth moon reflects the light of the Caelereth sun?

No. Unlike the RL moon, the Caelereth moon emits its own light. Part of the Model - also see Artimidor's very pithy response on p2 of this thread buck

This is one of the very few things I know about Santharian cosmology, so I make a point of showcasing my knowledge :D

EDIT: Re temperature: Maybe Talia meant 50F (rather than 50C, which would be rather warm :P )

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07 November 2010, 23:47:46 »

I think Talia meant minus 50/40/30. Evidence=Fact that she said "We don't need to make it less than 50. We could have just 40, or even 30" (paraphrasing)

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #36 on: 08 November 2010, 05:13:10 »

Thanks Ath :) You got it!

Coren, what are Fahrenheit?  buck That obscure measurement is out of date!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08 November 2010, 06:22:53 »

Well minus 50, 40 or 30 makes more sense to me. :D

Faio

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 08 November 2010, 12:52:47 »

shocked -50, -40 and -30 degrees celsius? That is Arctic weather in the *winter*. When we reach between -30 and -40 with the wind chill here, everyone takes shelter in their houses, we are warned to stay inside as much as possible, and sometimes they even close the schools. Frostbite happens very quickly to exposed skin and death is a definite reality for anyone caught without shelter.

I know it's a realistic temperature for an earthen land without a sun, but, really? That's like throwing a medieval village and their livestock into the arctic winter - for a year. Bit extreme, no?

This is of course a fantasy world. Why does all our worldy heat have to come from the sun? Unlike here on Earth, Caelereth is not surrounded by the absolute cold of empty space; it's surrounded by the Void. Now, I'm not all that clear on the properties of the Void, but I really do believe the physics will be entirely different in terms of world heat distribution.

Yes, things will get cold, things will stop growing, everyone will be pushed to the limits of survival... but I don't think it requires the extreme of frozen wasteland. A winter that lasts three seasons longer than expected with no sun to nourish any vegetation or hope is a considerable struggle in itself. It's a case of: it's cold and there's nothing growing back. It then becomes a matter of how long it takes until all supplies are depleted and starvation finally ends in death.

One year could've simply been a short enough time that complete depletion did not occur.

These are just my opinions on the matter.
~Faio~
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #39 on: 08 November 2010, 15:52:57 »

Yeah, Faio! I thought I had mentioned the Void already and its possible influence in keeping the warmth inside the sphere (no radiation into the cloudless sky can occur).

But I think I need to open another thread with this theme, it doesn't belong into the moon discussion.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]