Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Ice Tribes Warrior of the Tarkyns...AND his Icemuts.....  (Read 6660 times)
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 17

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 December 2010, 13:10:35 »

"PUPPIES!" *Runs after...puppies*

*Returns, his face carved up*

"An...aura...for...your trouble..."

"Vhodka is wonderful..."-Agran Velion
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 08 January 2011, 22:06:36 »

Thank you for the helpful feedback, Alt, which will inspire me to more tribe pictures this new year!

Any other suggestions, for when I get to making the final edits on this illustration?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 08 January 2011, 22:56:54 »

The wrong moon isn't fixed, neither the there non-existing mountains. Ignoring my comments does not improve your pictures, Judy. The mountains may be interpreted as being out of ice, the wrong orientation of the moon will classify your pic as one of those, where the artist didn't look at what she painted. There are a lot of such examples in earthen art, it is up to you to add one more of those pics to Caelereth.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 09 January 2011, 19:40:37 »

I have no knowledge of the content, so cannot comment on it, I will just say that I like this a lot! The overall mood is cheerful, the dogs are perfect - they have palpable energy in them, I can almost feel their eagerness to run! The guy also has a cheerful demeanor, but is definitely more controlled and wise. He is their master, other more complex thoughts occupy his mind clearly. Excellent feel allround :) The composition is also good and balanced.

Now, if I may suggest aa few minor ways to improve this work: The light - being a strong backlight and only (?) or main light source, I would keep all the colors tinted to fit the moon's color. This can be done by tweaking the colors or using an overlay/multiply layer on the man alone (the rest of the picture is fine already). Just think of it as his base colors and add blue to them. Do not be afraid of the result becoming purples, greys and greens!
Second - try experimenting with a bright, strong outline around the man's form, down to about halfway his boots (his feet being in the shadows of the hills in the background maybe).
Third - the hills in the back - the further back something is, the more diffuse, less saturated and lower contrast it should be - right now the furtherst hilltop is too dark and should be toned down considerably.

I hope these help, and have to say I enjoyed this picture a lot already! thumbup
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 09 January 2011, 21:36:05 »

Wow - that's incredibly helpful, Faugar!  I had the feel when I put all the layers together that there was just a different light source on the man, as if he were standing in front of a fire, perhaps....but there isn't that warm golden frontal lighting that would suggest that, either.   Lighting and its colours is always a struggle for me, so I really appreciate that specific feedback.  Mwah!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 January 2011, 02:18:01 »

Talia, you know I love you. hug  But, you might be coming on a bit too strong here.  Just a little. :)  I know your passion, and admire you for it.  The Tarkyns live on the coast, so ice floes would sometimes pile up near the shore.  Simply google Piled Ice Floes or Piled Ice to get some good pics.  I don't think the pic has defined the mounds behind him well enough to say they are mountains.  There are no tiny trees on them or anything to say definitively they are mountains.

As for the moon... I suppose it could be changed.  I was missing for a month, did the look, orientation, phases, etc get decided on in that time?  Are they in stone yet?  I'm not sure.  If they are, then I suppose the moon should fulfill the details therein.  If not, then I suppose it is still up to the artist to decide how much unentried material goes into their work.  Unlike an entry, a picture does not set precedent. (with the exception of maps)  If Judith has a more Terran moon in a pic, it does negate your hard work on the moon entry.  If, in the future I do the Tarkyns, I'm not bound by Judith's representation of him now. (Though, I will surely take it into consideration).

Until the moon is actually finished, a bit of artistic licence should be allowed.  Gives you more incentive to get the moon done. :)  After that, I'll back your insistence that pics conform to how the moon should look, just as any tribal pic need to conform to that tribal description.  Until the moon entry is finished, then it is all conjecture, no?  If you were to leave Santh (and I hope that NEVER happens, for I'd miss you terribly cry) and the moon entry not finished, there would be nothing to stop someone else from picking it up and finishing it off completely different.  In fact, isn't your current project the third time the moon has been tackled?  Each one different from the previous attempt?

I guess what I'm asking is, can we bend a bit on this one? :D Please?

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 10 January 2011, 02:35:50 »

The basics on the moon are fixed and in stone (except  Shaba and me decide otherwise ;) ), though not written down yet. It is my strong intent to finish it this year, maybe even before the summer break! ;)  I want to post only one, maybe two related submissions first, and deliver the pic of course.

Of course Judy can do her pics as she wants them to do. As I said above, there are many earthen ones where the moon is depicted wrongly also!  buck

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 January 2012, 13:07:16 »

So... Can I blarrow this? rolleyes  This is too good not to be onsite.  The moon issue may never be resolved, so lets not hold this back on that account.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 04 January 2012, 15:56:24 »

I have no problem seeing it go up, so yup, I'm all for it.  thumbup

Even if there should be some things on a picture which might not be entirely correct, the same applies to entries that are already on the site. The benefit of putting a picture with a smaller problem up is greater than not putting it up at all - if there indeed is a problem, as we don't have e.g. an entry on the moon yet. Even more reason to sort that problem out and then have it clearly defined for future reference.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 04 January 2012, 18:01:45 »

With appreciation, I agree.   

The sun issue  (raised in the Milkengrad picture recently) was something I hadn't thought about before - and since I use Terragen to help with a lot of my landscapes, I can actually control that.  Now that we're aware of it we can work with the extant maps to create matching landscapes that will be correctly lit!    I wonder - do we have ANY sunset/dawn illustrations at all yet?  Might be fun to use for a picture sometime....

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 04 January 2012, 19:26:00 »

Well, I remember the Denilou picture by Quellion showing a sunrise (see here), where we also have the sun problem. The picture isn't entirely correct, because Denilou lies to the east of Santharia and if the sun only is in the south, the ship approaches from the wrong side. But luckily such problems are very rare on existing pictures as far as I know - can't think of another one where we have a similar problem.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 January 2012, 05:54:25 »

I also presume the icemuts will be used to illustrate the icemut entry?

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 06 January 2012, 06:12:49 »

You presume right!  cool

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]