Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Any waterfalls?  (Read 4746 times)
Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« on: 06 February 2011, 20:10:42 »

HI all,

I recently made this picture, and thought that maybe it could fit one of the places in Santharia. The balloon is easily removed or changed into some other flying machine or birds, depending on your input.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2011, 21:58:58 »

I found you two spectacular waterfalls in the Themed'lon... the descriptions are below.   The only hesitation I have is that that forest is pretty far north, and I think there would be a lot more conifers (tulmine, for example, is specified in one paragraph), not to mention the mountains more icy and prominent. 

But I love the suggestion of the caves behind the waterfall...almost perfect for the South Waterfall as described in the entry!

Also, there are indeed a possible 'seven clustered boulders' at the top of the falls you've drawn - would only need slight exaggeration of the rocks as the splits of water are already in the right place - and it would fit the North Waterfall as described below.

Orl'y'rimbak (lit. "North Waterfall")
The northern forest contains a large spectacular waterfall on the western border of the woods. As the Kharim river forks off, both slow moving forks wind south with the western river branch flowing for three strals before reaching a large outcropping of seven clustered boulders and falling down approximately twenty peds into a large basin. From the basin flow several smaller branches deep within the forest. The Kaaer’dár’shín call this waterfall the "Orl'y'rimbak" (lit. "North Waterfall") or "Orly" for short. Around the basin are clustered many dense growths of bushes and vines with the larger trees forming a border as the brush gets bigger. The water is very clean and clear and Kaaer’dár’shín myth holds that the "Bynapyrl", or "Water Sister" spirit, blesses the water with certain healing properties.

Tulpaz (lit. "South Woods")
The "Tulpaz" (lit. "South Woods"), so called by the Kaaer’dár’shín, is longer and narrower than the northern part and is not as densely cluttered with deciduous trees. These woods have seen more use for logging by the Kaaer’dár’shín as their colony of Torik sits along the northeastern border of this area.  Upon first view, these woods are similar to its northern counterpart: very lush, heavy with abundant growth, and well watered due to the river tributaries that branch throughout. The woods run in a long section, northwest to southeast with small tree clusters along the southern half. The western branch of the Kharim river feeds this forest and has created another waterfall within although it is smaller than the northern waterfall.

Tul'y'rim'bak (lit. "South Waterfall")
As the western river branches south, its small tributaries touch the northern point and flow swiftly along the rocky bed. Once the river reaches the forest borders, it flows for about fifty peds where it falls through a dense cluster of tulmine trees down fifteen peds into a wider stream before branching out further. The Kaaer’dár’shín call this waterfall the "Tul'y'rim'bak" (lit. "South Waterfall") or "Tully" for short. Like its northern counterpart, this forest is alive with sweet smells of flowers and pine and the fresh smell of the streams running through it.

Underneath the waterfall, dug deep within the cliff face, is a large collection of caves that holds one of the Kaaer’dár’shín worshipping areas. The caves were carved from the rock by the waterfall and basin and form a large room with three adjoining rooms off of it. The cave walls are smooth and slick with a thin layer of moss with the floor damp with water. The main room is used by the tribal shamuts when seeking guidance from the water spirits while the adjacent rooms are typically unused.

Along various points of the stream can be found special fishing cairns where some small and medium sized boulders are clustered. These provide some good elevation and sitting areas for the half-orcs to fish from. A fisherman can set up a place to sit atop a rock or outcropping and drop a fishing line in the clear, cool stream. Usually, fishing at these places where the most fish tend to dwell brings a good catch for the fisherman and provides a good source of food for the tribe.

The balloon could be changed to a kite in the shape of an eagle, perhaps?  The figures are already distant enough that they need not be altered to resemble 'half-orcs' or 'half-elves' - it is enough that they are humanoid in shape.

If you don't care for either of those two, I'll look for something interesting in Manthria.... :)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2011, 22:11:55 »

Another possibility, this one from the large Manthrian map.  It would only require the hint of the water continuing at the bottom of the picture, and perhaps if you felt so inclined, a mere rough suggestion of a town in the shadows near the horizon, or even the edge of a bridge just before that.      It's harder than one might think to find a river which flows the right direction with heaths, forest, and mountains all in the right location, so this is actually quite a good spot - and the vegetation matches the moderate climate zone!  See what you think, m' dear masterartist...   I believe it's called Elsashai Falls, but it's difficult to tell from that tiny font on the spot.  We'll have to check with Artimidor...

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs290.snc6/181892_498333958586_517153586_6332540_2925074_n.jpg

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2011, 22:47:37 »

Another lovely picture from Faugar!  :D  In the new 'Faugar-Style'!  grin  And water!  evil

I do like the Manthria proposal! This image has such a southern atmosphere! The warm yellow colours. Sorry Azhira!  hug

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2011, 00:18:49 »

Hrm....I would love to have a pic for the Themed'lon and hugz for Judy for suggesting it!  heart

However...

I would agree with Talia in that it seems more of a southern atmosphere. It does need more thick forested conifers (not necessarily mountains) to belong in Caaehl'heroth. Other than that, it would fit in the North fine. Oh and the balloon obviously would need redone into a bird or something as mentioned by Judy. I imagine North environment pictures to be a bit less warm and inviting and more harsh and ominous, even semi-magical forests like the Themed'lon.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2011, 05:22:18 »

Agreed.  I like the Manthrian proposal. thumbup

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2011, 09:05:45 »

No fear m' dear Azzy; I have actually been wanting to do some more Northern landscapes for a while.   I may just haul out some of those reference pics I have been saving up and do you a coniferous waterfall ( as long as you realize I can't compete with our Masterartist ) for fun!

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2011, 09:18:52 »

There is a certain Frozen Waterfall pic needed with frozen crystals gently raining down on a simple shrine, if you so choose.  rolleyes

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2011, 22:41:49 »

?   I'm a bit thick at the moment, my dear barbarian - blame this double ear infection, and be a bit more explicit?

Azzy, it's turning out NOT to be a waterfall, but I'm going to be asking you if you have any pine-rimmed northern lakes you'd like a picture for, rather shortly...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 08 February 2011, 05:13:54 »

Great that you think about us, Faugar! A lovely picture, which we can surely use somewhere - if we can only decide where exactly. But just keep them coming :D You get an aura +1 at any rate for this one already! (What's with Coren's comments on his tribe pics BTW? Hope we get his input to finish those! They look smashing as well!)

The Falls you're talking about, Judy, are called "Elsashal Falls". You can increase/decrease the display size of a page usually by CTRL and + or -, works on Internet Explorer and Firefox e.g. - then you see it a tad clearer. The picture indeed shows a rather large river dropping down here (also taking the very small people nearby into account), so it could be that spot. Though we should have a larger body of water continue below if possible. That shouldn't be too much of a problem I hope. - Oh, and if we go with that Manthrian option we'd still need someone to write the entry - maybe even about that cave behind that waterfall!  cool

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 09 February 2011, 06:07:17 »

Thanks for the enthousiasm and comments :)

Here is a changed version - river streaming and removed balloon. The kite wasn't an option really, due to the size.
How's this (so far)?
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 09 February 2011, 07:45:08 »

Even on my iPhone screen - gorgeous!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 10 February 2011, 03:39:54 »

Yep, very cool - and instantly useable that way :) Now we only need a volunteer for an entry (waterfall, cave, even the river, all work to use the pic) - and if we don't get a volunteer in foreseeable time I'll move the pic to your resources, Faugar, so that it can be grabbed whenever someone is struck with inspiration! cool

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 08 March 2011, 03:40:01 »

Picture was now moved to Faugar's resources as there are no instant takers. Anyone who'd like to do a nice Place entry for it (see suggestions above) is of course welcome to use it :)

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 March 2011, 22:02:06 »

?   I'm a bit thick at the moment, my dear barbarian - blame this double ear infection, and be a bit more explicit?

Azzy, it's turning out NOT to be a waterfall, but I'm going to be asking you if you have any pine-rimmed northern lakes you'd like a picture for, rather shortly...

We do have a few lakes in the North, though they wouldn't be as gorgeous of a vacation spot as you may have imagined! Crystal Lake and Ebony Lake, both of which are located in the Kuglimz lands. Crystal Lake is a corrupted lake, while Ebony Lake sits near the blighted Tak'dinal region.

My other suggestion would be Aechwin's Lake in the Aden peninsula. It is surrounded by mountains on the west and south, grasslands to the east and the village of Og to the north. I would imagine it would be pine rimmed aplenty! See the left side of the Caaehl'heroth map for the location.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]