Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The Nysl  (Read 12261 times)
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2011, 07:32:05 »

No worries, thank you for such a great little dragon.

I might have another bash at the Oha-ooy tree too, it would be great to think up a myth that would link the Nysl and the tree together.

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2011, 07:36:11 »

Indeed!

@Drasil: You are brown

@Rookie: You are orange

@Myself: Teal
« Last Edit: 19 May 2011, 07:59:57 by Kalína Dalá'isyrás » Logged

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2011, 08:53:28 »

Just need Rooks to OK your dragon riders and then this will be blarrowable.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2011, 17:49:49 »

A really fascinating entry, Kalina, and well written.

I see, you are about to invent a tiny dragon, so that the Dragon-Lizard is not the tiniest anymore ;)

The Nysl is the smallest dragon to live in Sarvonia and the second smallest in all of Caelereth.

Shouldn't we avoid such things like the biggest,  the tiniest - to allow room for more to come? I would propose to just restrict it to 'as far as we know', or something like 'current research has no knowledge of any smaller' etc...

I think I need to add/change something in the draardle entry, concerning the dragon-thing, a discussion, if they are true dragons, or only dracoid. I tend to the first :)

Btw, you did a great job with avoiding telepathy!

I
t is believed these creatures have the ability to speak to each other through mysterious means of the mind. From what has been observed, they would seem to be lost in thought or have a far away look in their eyes. Though, during conversations with these creatures, they often lay hints to such an ability, but they keep it under a thick web of secrecy. It is one of the few things they are not willing to explain further to those around them, even though they have the intense desire to both share and obtain knowledge.

And I admired your mating section.
Not every encounter will be for impregnating the female. In fact, she is only fertile enough to conceive four  times in her lifetime and most females will give birth twice, though some will only have one child. The Nysl find pleasure in each other, both through intercourse and through being in each others company.
Maybe that defines sentience also, distinguishes them from mere beasts?

There was one sentence a bit unclear.

Though there is a huge trust between mates, the female will not leave the eggs alone with their significant other.

My dictionary told me, that 'significant other' would be e.g. the parent of a child, but can you say this already, when it is only an egg? And is the term not a bit too modern? I don't think, that in the middleages one has thought of a parent as a 'significant other'. But maybe my dic doesn't tell me enough. :)

Have you mentioned somewhere, when the dragons came to the vale? Where they already there, when the first Llaoihrr came to this valley?

If I interpret history right, then the Vale brownies got heir first flying mounts under Greybark. .. I better copy that out, it is easier.

290 b.S.    The Return of Greybark Ferretmaster to the Vale
Greybark Ferretmaster brings news of the darkfriend threat to the Vale with his mate Whisper, and begins training the first group of the Llaoihrr Flying Militia. The wild population of most species of intelligent bird life within the Vale are somewhat reduced as the Brownies struggle to learn to look after them in a short space of time.

288 b.S.    Greybark Leads the Elite Flying Brownie Militia to Carmalad
The Flying Militia arrives in Carmalad and joins the alliance of free races and provides vital air support to the battles to beat back the orcish horde. The experiences they gather here form the basis of their training for hundreds of years to come. The fighting is also the first sight of Bigfolk for almost all the Brownies, which could explain some of the later myths of blood-thirstiness.

After the war is won, Greybark signs mutual protection treaties with the leaders of the other races - the first step towards a united Santharia. However, this does not lead to immediate contact with other races as the Council had hoped. The Llaoihrr have been isolated and in hiding for so long, and the fear of the Outside naturally does not go away overnight. Many speak against going out into a potentially war-ridden, dangerous land when they have everything they need in the Vale.

281 b.S.    The Skydiver Clan is formed
One very good thing which does come out of the war is the skill with birds of prey. A new clan, the Skydivers, is formed to build on this expertise and to look after the new mounts. The Brownies' eventual aim is to be able to breed the birds, rather than having to capture them from the wild, but this only proves successful with the docile wood owls.

Where do you think your dragons fit in? Where they living already there and tamed with all other birds of prey? Or did they come later?

Ok, I know I am incommodius, is that the word? ;)  buck

I'm looking forward to your healing dragon. :)

Hmm, schouldn't dragons be fairly rare?

« Last Edit: 19 May 2011, 17:52:25 by Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2011, 01:44:44 »

Shouldn't we avoid such things like the biggest,  the tiniest - to allow room for more to come? I would propose to just restrict it to 'as far as we know', or something like 'current research has no knowledge of any smaller' etc...

There isn't going to be a lot of development room with dragons beyond what has already been listed on the site. Yes, a lot of entries need to be written and rewritten, but there isn't going to be a lot of room for from scratch creation. This is why I chose the wording I did, not because "we shouldn't use definitives" but because, from my standpoint, it is pretty much set in stone what is and what will not happen.

Most dragons are going to be your typical large creatures, so having two which are so small is far from a commonality. Having them stand out as being the smallest or second smallest, is part of a larger plan to help control how and when dragons are created, so people aren't snapping their fingers and they appear.

Normally, when dealing with other parts of the world, such definitives should be avoided, but I feel this is an exception to this case because of other circumstances with dragons. (Okay, that ended up being longer than anticipated. Sorry  undecided )

Hmm, schouldn't dragons be fairly rare?

Depends on the dragon and the nature of the dragon. You would think, with all the dragons listed on the site, they were a common thing to be seen, but I am working on changing this and restricting this so they remain rare, to a degree. Some are more rare than others. In the Nysl's case, they are only found in one location...and I bet most of the world doesn't really know/believe they exist. This would be considered a form of 'rare'.  (Jumped to a bottom quote. Yay for mixing things up  evil )

Maybe that defines sentience also, distinguishes them from mere beasts?

Quite possibly, but I think it would be difficult one to use as every creature (even dragons) are so different from each other, and even the humanoids are so different from each other in practices, and they have retained their sentience without this particular aspect in place, though it does seem to be more of a commonality than not.

But, it is something to think about.

The Browniin details are something Rookie and I are working on together, and I don't believe she had seen my additions/edits before she went to bed.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2011, 01:46:57 by Kalína Dalá'isyrás » Logged

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 May 2011, 02:51:32 »

As discussed on the IRC, the dragon mounts are great.  Can you make the restrictions we talked about nice and clear?  i.e.:

1) They don't/won't go outside the Vale
2) They're sentient, so you can't command them, you have to negiotiate, which would make them very tricky to ride

Essentially, I just would really like it to be clear that whilst they do have many fine qualities and abilities, your humble owl/falcon/ferret actually makes a more practical day-to-day mount.  Otherwise I'll have at least 3 very long entries to redo and no-one wants that (I'd moan a lot :P)

For the history, here is a "this is how I would do it", which you are more than welcome to cherry-pick for the bits you like, use as much or as little as you want :)

Although, saying that, I would like the first flying mounts to be Greybark's Flying Militia in 290 b.S, because I like to stick to what Greybark wrote where possible, especially as this is part of a big historical event.  If the Brownies find them before that, then they could either be still afraid and cautious of them, or not begin to ride them for another reason (supersition, not needing too, not being in close enough daily contact with them....etc etc)

And they can easily have been in the Vale before the Brownies came, as were a lot of other creatures - the Brownies would at first have stayed down in the lowest parts of the Vale I reckon, as that's where the plants and insects they eat thrive best, and not bother to venture up into the Mountains.  Or even if they did, the Nsyl would just be another creature to observe - another strange mountain thing.

Between between 1020 b.S. and 300 b.S. the Llaoihrr are becoming more intellectually interested in their world - they begin to push back the boundaries of Life Magic again and invent a lot of the labour-saving gadgets they still use today.  So  it seems to me a logical time when some intrepid little creature looks back at all the rumours of weird, lizard-like, intelligent animals living in the mountains and goes and invesigates.  That could even be why the Sorceress' Peak Llaoihrr moved away from the Council Tree - to study the Nsyl and the other magical stuff in that area?

After Greybark brings back his flying militia and sets up the Skydiver Clan in 281 b.S, the idea of riding flying things becomes more of a normal thing.  So if the Brownies have become friendly enough with some Nysl to be allowed to ride them, then that could be the next logical step.

As you see, some dates are fixed, but some things are pretty open to whenever you want them to have happened.  Since the founding of the Council Tree in 1020 b.S, the Llaoihrr have kept pretty good records of their history, so dates/names etc could have been written down (depending on how much detail you want to go into - there are occasional - and very convienent - issues with bark-eating bugs getting into the Library)

Rookie x

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 20 May 2011, 03:08:04 »

Thanks, Rookie! I will get right on to giving a solid reason for them to be there and building up a story for their meeting and then companionship.

May take awhile though, it won't be short.

Oh! And a wonderful +aura for my favourite helpful Brownie! heart

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 May 2011, 03:50:58 »

Aww, thankyou  :D

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 21 May 2011, 01:48:33 »

Okay. I added a bit to their origins. It is vague until their meeting with the Brownies, but I started from a approximate timeline of the War of the Chosen and worked from there until a time would appropriate for their integration into a timeline.

It feels really rough, and I am not sure about it, so feel free to help make it better and more...sturdy. I am not overly attached to it yet.

Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 May 2011, 00:30:50 »

Your origins are fine with me.  Just need a  thumbup from Rookie and this will be ready for integration. 
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 May 2011, 21:46:45 »

I'll have another look through tonight :)

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 May 2011, 06:42:05 »

Unfinished comments I'm afraid (all just tiny nitpicks so far)

"The Nysl that live amongst the Brownies live much like that of cats or horses, living in the homes or stables of the Brownies, and being quite content with this type of lifestyle."

Would it be possible to emphasise their intelligence in this paragraph too?  Because although they are looked after like a pet, it's important that they are far more than that - i.e. reasoning, sentient creatures.

"The Nysl are also the primary method the Llaoihrr use to access the wild Oha-ooy, as they have a similar mindset when dealing with the tree."

"Not every encounter will be for impregnating the female. In fact, she is only fertile enough to conceive four times in her lifetime and most females will give birth twice, though some will only have one child."

Does laying eggs = giving birth?  I'm not sure, suppose it's down to interpretation really.  But I'm also thinking that if each female only has one/two offspring in her lifetime, how do the overall numbers increase?  For a population to remain stable, each pair of creatures has to raise two offspring, replacing themselves with their children when they die.  To increase, they have to have three or more.  Unfortunately for the dragons, this population is doomed to decreasing and extinction, especially when you take into account disease, injury, infertility....etc etc

"Once the eggs hatch, the baby Nysl, often referred to as a Eiti, will emerge as a small and very round version of its parents, being a mere palmspan in length and eight nailsbreadths around at the belly. Most Eiti are born as a shade of purple. This hue ranges from almost white to a dark rich colouration depending on the colour of the parents. Gold Nysl will usually have a medium shade while the silver Nysl will be much closer to that of white. The copper Nysl usually have the darkest hue when they are born. "

So cute!!!  I love the name too, Eiti.  Like a little ball of cuteness.

Ok, I have to go to bed unfortunately, and I still have Myth/Lore/Origins to read.  I will be back as soon as I can to finish it off, sorry for the delay xx

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 25 May 2011, 00:35:08 »

Okay, I made the changes in red. One thing I had wanted to emphasize is that even though they are sentient, they aren't the most intelligent of their kind. They believe it was a result from them being trapped in a sort of young adult stage by the archmage all those years ago, but this was never truly confirmed either way.

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 June 2011, 22:03:11 »

Sorry for taking so long to come back to this one - I've been over in Hull (about an hour from York) for a swing dancing workshop and then just feeling very tired and headachy which doesn't make me want to look at computer screens! 

These little dragons are just brilliant - they fit perfectly into the Brownie settlements and also provide a couple of missing resources i.e. armour and non-metal tools.

I do have one worry about the history - at the time when Kalina is supposed to have heard of the dragons and come to find them for herself, the Brownies have almost no contact with the outside world.  They trade with the dwarves of Kor Donian, but that is it.  So they couldn't have been classified as a dragon by Syalah Redbark, as she wouldn't have access to any resources/information other than that already in the Vale.  Apart from possibly a myth or two, she would probably never have even heard about any other dragons.  Kalina could have heard of the creatures through the dwarves maybe?  If any of them had a reason to pass on the information to her?  At least there would be plenty of rumours about the existence of the Brownies in the Vale, as it's only 100 years or so after the war in Carmalad.

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 03 June 2011, 00:21:55 »

Okay, dear. I think I cleaned it up a bit. The adjustments are in purple

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]