Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Castle Pic- CONTEST ANNOUNCEMENT  (Read 5570 times)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« on: 21 May 2011, 04:53:21 »

I felt inspired to draw a castle.  grin  So here is the pencil drawing.  (This castle is based on the Burg Eltz castle)   I would like to render it in color, but first........are there any ideas as to which castle this could be?

Once I know where it can fit I will know what atmosphere (snow, sand, trees, black granite, red rock etc) to give the picture.

Of course I understand there is a possibility this pic does not fit anywhere.  :(

IDEAS?
« Last Edit: 23 May 2011, 12:30:02 by Seeker » Logged

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2011, 05:01:18 »

A castle like that? I'm sure we can fit it in somewhere, even if we have to create a whole new entry for it! :D

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2011, 07:48:48 »

With such stout walls and towers? This is obviously the central keep of the city of Bluesteel in R'unor! It's built to defend against migratory Horned Drakes, and nothing would suit such grand architecture more.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2011, 08:07:00 »

There are many castles on the Manthrian map, which would fit, but no entry going along with them.

Options would be

THE RANGWER WARDEN TOWER (Northern part of Rimmerin's Ring)

The Rangwer Warden sits high above the North Horn plains on the slopes of the Rimmerins Ring mountains. The Santhran's Order of Seyella is bound to keep watch here, guarding the city of New-Santhala against the ogres who live in this portion of the Ring, and keeping watch against any other threat which might approach.

Whitewater Keep at the East Coast

Wings Warden, Silverrock Warden

Rhenos Castle, Castle aut'aye? near Sillena

Edit:

I think I got one. The entry is short, but from our sage, it has already a picture (your castle from afar) , but yours would fit in well. Hstorically very important ;)

http://www.santharia.com/places/vista_castle.htm
« Last Edit: 21 May 2011, 08:21:17 by Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2011, 09:37:07 »

Being greedy and all ... I would like to suggest The Plateau Fortress Sheyaur Thromgolin, a Kyranian castle. However, I am aware that the Kyranians have recently received a picture from Seeker (Cyroan Thromgolin in the Coronal) and so if there are other places it could be used, please use it there.

From the History tables:

ca. 11700 b.S. to 11.690 The Plateau Fortress Sheyaur Thromgolin
The leader of the Kruswik settlers, Cyroan 'Roan' Thromgolin, is a great tactician. For five years he plans and searches for the perfect place to build his castle, only to find it right under his nose. Finally he chooses the top of the Ilian Plateau, taking advantage of the height which allows him to watch his surroundings and prevent enemies from sneaking up on him.

He builds his fortress with defense in mind, wisely using some of the oldest tactics for defense and improving on them. It takes him and his men ten long years to get the magnificent fortress built and when it was finished it was a sight to behold. What impresses the people more than the castle is the fact that their leader works beside them and put in as much effort, if not more, into the building of the castle and his kingdom.

Cyroan builds five towers surrounding the main keep, all made of granite and marble. The massive towers are tipped with silver and gold so that anyone in his kingdom can look up and see his citadel and have hope. He calls his fortress "Sheyaur".

During the building of his stronghold, he orders the plateau cleared of any bush or tree to give his men a clear killing field. He realizes that archers are one of his best defenses and he trains them extremely well. He also manages to improve the bows and arrows they use. Cyroan passes on his knowledge and dream to his successors. His followers continue to improve and refine his basic strategies and tactics.

ca. 9550 b.S. The Scions of Thromgolin I: Gilden "Gil" Thromgolin
Gil is a master builder and concentrates on fortifications and tactics for defense of those fortifications. He develops a stronger bow for his archers and he names it the "Bolt Bow" as it doesn't shoot an arrow but a metal bolt. It doesn't have the distance that a regular bow has, but the bolt can pierce heavy armor. Gil also builds windows inside the outside walls of the fortress where arrows can be shot out of but nearly impossible for arrows to go through from the outside.

Gil also improves upon an idea of the trench and surrounds his castle with it. In the beginning this trench is built wide enough so horses cannot jump it. Then he builds it deep enough to hold sharpened logs. Eventually he fills the trench with water, with oil on the wall so that it can be poured into the trench and set on fire if needed. He camouflages the stakes in the trench with weeds that are connected to the stakes. Finally Gil develops or refines the only access to the castle, a wooden bridge he calls the "Foot" which at first is lowered and raised by thick ropes and chains later on.

ca. 8850 b.S.    The Eyelian Attack on the Sheyaur
Eyelians attack the Kyranian Fortress of Sheyaur, now in the possession of of one of Cyroan Thromgolin's kin. The Eyelians succeed and destroy most of it. Farmers use the ruins as a quarry and the stones of the Sheyaur for homes and walls.

963 b.S. to 823 b.S. The Rebirth of Kyrania: The Kingdom of the Pillars
Caldar, heeding the prophecy he has witnessed on the pillars of the ancient Kyranian fortress of Sheyaur, builds a palace on a hill adjacent to the woods where he shot the stag overseeing the Steppe of Kruswik. He declares the woods sacred and erects a pillar with the runes of Arvins blessing those woods. His followers seeing the faith and belief of Caldar build these same pillars and erect them at all of the crossings of roads and in the center of their hamlets worshipping Arvins. Soon the kingdom is rebuilt with the youth Caldar named as king. The Kyranians align themselves with nature and with Arvins following the codes of hunting, farming and warfare. During these years the Kyranians leave their mountain strongholds and repopulate the Steppe of Kruswik with their herds of cattle and sheep and build several important towns.

As was prophesied the Kyranian kingdom prospers with the kingdom full of holy woods, growing hamlets, towns, unusually large yields of crops and animals, even after the curse of the Dereswungen blood line.

Then there is Caelum (formerly El'Dorash) and Naios.

Quote regarding Naios from history tables, however it is described as a 'fortified town', as well as a castle and fortress.
933 b.S. to 806 b.S.    Kyranian Corruption: The Kingdom of Betrayal
One of the most ambitious followers of Caldar named Narinos "Naios" Dereswungen also claims to have received a divine vision. In his vision he sees a huge fortress overseeing the Windbay. He and his followers head south. Finding a hill near Windbay, just like the one that Caldar has built his castle on, he interprets these sights as a sign and he builds a fortified town he names "Naios," the "Fortress of the Whispering Voices". It is named that way because at night when the wind blows from the bay over the hill it sounds like whispering voices.

In the center of the fortress Narinos erects an altar, but in his arrogance he sacrifices a sheep instead of a hunted stag. Lore tells us that as he did that Arvin spoke a curse on his bloodline and his kingdom for desecrating the altar.

Caelum
819 b.S. The Coronation of the Kyranian Gorm
The coronation of Gorm takes place at the Bay of Skies in the former El'Dorash which is now called Caelum. The urgent petitions of the elves to return the holy blood of Maengolth are answered with the execution of their messengers, which are ordered by the leader of the Kyranian tribe, Jalttren Dereswungen, because he knows of the importance of giving the different tribes of the humans one single enemy. After Gorm drinks the blood of Maengolth ritually in front of his people Gorm is entitled fully "Unrestricted Human King of the Westcoast".

The first action the young king takes - advised by Jalttren - is the fortification of El'Dorash and the gathering of an enormous army to challenge the elves. Elving and Saloh are heavily fortified in order to be prepared for the expected confrontations.

Additionally, there is the Kyranian building entry by Garret ... in there, there is a discussion about Kyranian castles.

I think any of those three cities would be suitable for it, Seeker, as would the existing entries on Kyrania and Kyranian housing. I think the biggest question is ... do we want it to be a picture of what would be seen today, or a historical picture? If a picture for today, it would probably best fit with either Caelum or Naios (as those two cities definitely still exist). Naios would still be strongly Kyranian ... Caelum (as it is further north) woul be likely to have Centoraurian influences in the architecture as well If a historical picture, my pick would be Sheyaur or Naios, as we know for sure they were built by the Kyranians.

So that there is clarity on this ... I've spoken with Garret via PM about the Kyranians, and she is unsure as to whether she will be returning to Santharia. She is also happy for me to be responsible for Kyranian development. I have her PMs in my Santharian inbox about this issue, and would be happy to share it with anyone who would be interested in seeing the communication. So, you could safely assume that I am seeking permission to continue to develop and build on what's on site about the Kyranians. If it would be better, I'd be happy to seek that permission elsewhere ... but I didn't want there to be confusion about this, suggestions that I am trying to do this in a vaccuum, or trying to do this off my own bat without consideration for other things. I don't want to clutter this thread with seeking permission regarding this, so I'll start a thread about this in another board. So yays or nays about me doing stuff on the Kyranians should be made there ... this thread should just be about where the castle picture could be used.

My plans and thoughts on this tribe are in keeping with what Garret was wanting to do with the Kyranians, as she and I communicated frequently about them when we were both around. (Yay for communication via PM and IRC) :D. She said she'd be happy with whatever I do with them. Don't worry, I won't be making changes to existing entries on site, as I value the work that she and before her, Capher, did to the Kyranians. I will be adding to them ... to round out the tribe and the area in which they still exist today. I've also spoken somewhat with Mina about my thoughts and plans about the Kyranians and things around them, as he's the one who did up the Xaramon master plan and I have spoken with him about part of my plans ... he was fine with what I was proposing, but suggested I shoould check with Garret due to her involvement in developing the tribe.

regards,

Dek.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2011, 10:16:56 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2011, 22:01:49 »

Dek makes a good argument,right down to the moat - but the word 'plateau' kept bothering me.  Where do you get a water source to fill it, atop a plateau?  Were not moated castles generally close to rivers which could be diverted?  Or on lakes or coasts?   Did they just fill up with rainwater and become stagnant (and ever-filthier with castle refuse and sewage?)

I rather like the R'unor suggestion for the simple reason given - heavy walls and fortifications.   Seeker could easily add nasty stone spikes jutting from the walls to discourage aerial attacks.... :).   

Anyhow, my two sans, long enough to post from a cell phone.  I am here daily but it is frustrating to not have net access from my home computer!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2011, 03:09:30 »

In my quick scan of R'unor, is the culture there conducive for a castle such as this?  I was getting more of a mesoamerican/Maori vibe to it, with an obvious technological advancement. Could be just me. rolleyes

But, even so, Valan, you have an opportunity to create something unique from the "normal" medieval society of the Santharian mainland.  If you go with following the Santharian model, why go to R'unor at all, and just create in Manthria or other province.  When I read about the tall spires of obsidian, I started to imagine a community built upon them.  You have a much larger opportunity here than to simply follow normal routes.  I know when I started, I just wanted to create my take on a medieval society, but when I started my work in Remusia, Talia kept pushing me to NOT simply create a medieval society and go in new directions.  Now, I know you are far from being a Newbie, but really consider carefully how else you could go in order to create something uniquely yours.  You will be far more pleased with it afterwards.  I am.  IMHO, of course.

As much as I love the castle pic/plan, I can't use it.  It doesn't fit in the Remusian/Ice Tribe culture.

As far as Judith's comments go, I agree with her assessment of a moat needing a water source, while a plateau'd castle would use the natural defenses of the edge of the plateau to its advantage. 

I think this should be near a large water source.  Whitewater Keep in Manthria could work, then it would encourage someone to create an entry for it.  Maybe make a contest, where people can put forth a proposal and we vote on which we would like to see used?  Then the ones not chosen can be used on another non pic'd castle, if the person so chose.  Just an idea. :)

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2011, 03:15:57 »

I like Alt's idea.  Nothing like a bit of friendly competition to kick some more life into development. 
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2011, 17:52:18 »

What the Bard and Altario both say about a moated castle needing to be a river makes sense to me as well ... yet what I quoted there was taken directly from the history tables. Are we free to modify those tables, and remove mention of Gilran adding moats to his many times great grandfather's castle, perhaps instead having a trench around the castle, with spikes sticking up out of it or something like that to deter attackers, but still with the 'foot' discussed in the Kyranian history tables?

I think Whitewater Keep sounds like a goer with this :D

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2011, 21:23:11 »

I'm with Altario's idea. A smashing plan.

Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2011, 12:02:04 »

I think this should be near a large water source.  Whitewater Keep in Manthria could work, then it would encourage someone to create an entry for it.  Maybe make a contest, where people can put forth a proposal and we vote on which we would like to see used?  Then the ones not chosen can be used on another non pic'd castle, if the person so chose.  Just an idea.

So just to clarify, Alt are you suggesting that this can be Whitewater keep and that everyone puts forth a written proposal for whitewater keep.  Then we vote on the written proposal?  Lets go for it.   

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2011, 12:09:36 »

Yes, that was my proposal.  Everyone wants a Seeker original, and this way those wanting what looks to be a great pic can work for it.  evil

All in good fun, of course, and no one should get their knickers in a knot over it. :D

EDIT:  Perhaps this would be a great way for Artists to flex their creative juices.  Rather than create only pics for entries, turn the tables and create pics that we have to create entries for.  (Yes, I know there are pics in the Resource threads, but fresh pics get more attention than older pics.  We are a species of primates easily distracted by new and shiny things)
« Last Edit: 23 May 2011, 12:13:05 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2011, 12:29:06 »

hehem Seeker unrolls a bit of parchment. He coughs a little and begins to read.

COME one COME all!

We the artist guild heretofore announce a contest of wit and skill.  Here before you we have an unfinished painting for which we need your help.  By royal decree this castle has been named Whitewater Keep found on the northern shores of Manthria.  (can be seen on the detailed Manthria Map)  By developing an entry for Whitewater Keep you will help the artist finish the "vision" of this painting. Anyone can enter a proposal for the entry.
We would like the writers to develop their draft proposals for voting by June 5 in two weeks time as voting will begin on June 6.  You may decide how "complete" your proposal is.  Voting will continue for one weeks time.  The winner will be announced on June 13 after which the entry can continue to be improved prior to its blarrowing.  All entries not chosen can then be improved/changed and serve as other castles across the realm. We will find a place for them.  No ones feelings shalt be hurt in this process by order of the artist guild.

If you intend on entering this contest please state your intentions in this thread and any bold comments you may have to weaken the hearts of other would-be contestants. Questions concerning this contest are welcome.  
« Last Edit: 23 May 2011, 12:34:13 by Seeker » Logged

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2011, 12:38:59 »

Though it will mean me having to learn something non Iceland related, I shall toss my hat into the arena.  I expect to be beaten by someone with more southern knowledge, but it will be fun, and I won't make it easy. :D

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2011, 12:49:24 »

*throws his butter knife into the ring*

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]